185 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/
- Phone: 8435777771x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday starts at 11:30am
Dinner starts at 4:00 pm daily
Sunday Brunch starts at 10:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Donald Drake
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: located between Cumberland & Queen Streets
- Public Transit: Charleston CARTA to and from Visitors Center can be picked up 1/2 block from the restaurant on the quarter hour. There are also local cab companies and Charleston's famous Rickshaws that will transport guests to their hotels.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private parking lot adjacent to the restaurant is available weekdays after 5:00pm & all day Saturday & Sunday. **Please note:This lot is not open during lunch Monday-Friday. However, public parking is available in the garage at the corner of Cumberland & Concord and rates will apply.
A word from Magnolias
Igniting a culinary renaissance upon opening in 1990, Charleston's most popular restaurant is located at the site of the city's original Customs House (circa 1739). Led by Executive Chef Don Drake, Magnolias remains a forerunner in upscale Southern cuisine, blending traditional ingredients and cooking techniques with a modern flair for artful presentations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Magnolias - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Magnolias reviews from OpenTable diners
715 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (467)fit for foodies (416)romantic (293)neighborhood gem (236)great for lunch (191)notable wine list (176)great for brunch (164)good for groups (137)hot spot (136)vibrant bar scene (48)kid-friendly (34)scenic view (24)late-night find (14)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014This place is amazing!! The pork belly is out of thus world! This is a must go to restaurant and we will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JasonJasonVIPDined on 8/20/2014Excellent! Fried green tomatoes,the best. Every item prepared with creativity. Perfect from start to finish . Edward excellent waiterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SENSATIONAL!!!!!!!!theyoungfoodieVIPDined on 8/18/2014Tonight, I dined at Magnolias with my family and every single one of us was BLOWN AWAY at how amazing every dish was! The fried green tomatoes were OUT OF THIS WORLD in addition to our parmesan crusted flounder, and buttermilk friend chicken. Magnolias is the definition of Southern Cuisine. If you haven't gone, you are truly missing out. Oh! Don't forget to order the pecan pie at the end of your meal, it was the BEST PECAN PIE I'VE EVER HAD!Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014WE had wonderful food and a wonderful waiter at Magnolia's. The only complaint I had was we were placed at the very back table in a private dining room so you did not get the fun atmosphere of the front room. Every reservation I booked through open table we had bad tables.
- One of Charleston's Finestdine4funDined on 8/18/2014If you want a great meal with fantastic service, give this place a try. Great for special occasions or just a great meal with friends. One of our favorite in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good not great.sockyDined on 8/17/2014Very good ahi tuna and wine list.3 had duck, but would not order again. Trout and flounder very good. Nice restaurant fairly reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were happy with our choice.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Had a gluten free menu! Great! Very happy with our choice. Great wine for me and waiter suggested craft beer my husband enjoyed. Fried green tomatoes and strawberry shortcake were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mustKayakerDined on 8/17/2014A visit to Magnolia's is a must whenever I am in Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To die forkc101Dined on 8/17/2014I have never had a better brunch. A friend recommended Magnolia's and I'm so glad my husband and I ate there during our anniversary weekend. I had the banana pudding stuffed french toast (with regular syrup instead of peanut butter syrup--I'm not Elvis) with bacon. It was one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth! Absolutely delicious! Hubby wants me to try to make it myself, but I know I'll never get close to that buttery richness. His fried egg sandwich was fine, but my food was clearly the winner. I ate every single bite and could have eaten it every day for a week! Our waiter Brian was amazing, friendly, and recommended a good local golf course as well. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining in CharlestonHoney10Dined on 8/16/2014There are many wonderful restaurants to choose from, but few that can prepare the good low country style of cooking. Since I'm not really a fish eater except for shell, I was not disappointed with the buttermilk chicken, with collards. I should have asked for a table where I could view the entire restaurant, but sitting by the front window was less noisy and more relaxing. I like to see the decor and see people when I'm not from the area. This restaurant has it all.Special Features:
- Exellent all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We ate here for lunch several years ago and it was wonderful so we finally made it back to try it for dinner. We started with the fried green tomatoes which was probably the best thing we ate. For entrees, I had the ahi tuna over spring rolls and my wife had the shellfish over grits. Both were excellent. When we ate their previously for lunch we had the pecan pie which was to die for, but wanting to try something new, this time we had the sweet tea peach cake. It was good, but the pecan pie that I remember was way better. Service was good overall.Special Features:
- My constant favoriteSusanOJDined on 8/16/2014Live in Folly and am a foodie. Try all the new restaurants but always return to magnolias for great atmosphere, free parking and consistently great southern comfort food. Service always excellent from the greeting and waitstaff. Great place to grab a bite at the bar as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Great place with phenomenal food and service. Great ambience as well. We took our kids for lunch on our anniversary and it was a great experience. Fried green tomatoes were AMAZING!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We were a party of three and from food we had different experiences, both my starter and main course was rather blend and almost on the level you send it back. From the other ones in the party the starter was also blend but the main course was really good. I took the Chef's recommendation , so avoid that ! The wine that was recommended was suddenly sold out , but the one we got was actually OK. Price range is moderate but the restaurant is nothing to write home about.
- Great timeLWebDined on 8/15/2014Service was outstanding. We had delicious food and wine. Left there stuffed and happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We went to Magnolia's for our one year wedding anniversary and were blown away! We had heard wonderful things but it not only lived up to the praise, it exceeded it. The food was phenomenal and wait staff very attentive. We will definitely go back next time we're in Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st trip there, surely more to comembeauleDined on 8/14/2014visiting the Isle of Palms area for a week, this was well worth the trip into Charleston. We had both a scallop appetizer and the egg rolls for appetizers and they were excellent. Entrees were also fantastic, one choice was Duck and the other was Tuna. Both very solid choices.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationCindyVIPDined on 8/14/2014What a wonderful restaurant to celebrate my birthday. So many wonderful choices. Very knowledgable waiter to help us figure out what to order. We ended up sharing lots of different items, one better than the next. The waiter's pacing of the meal was fabulous since there was lots to eat. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- One of the bestNewfavDined on 8/14/2014Charleston is known as a town with great restaurants. Lots of new ones have sprung it, but you still can't beat Magnolias for excellent food and service. We were there on a summer weeknight, and it was packed until well after 10. Our server, Dawn, was especially gracious and helpful, always there but never intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Balanced cuisine, something for everyone, including vegetarians. Fresh,innovative southern cuisine. Wines and desserts are also delicious. Even though it was crowded, our waiter was attentive, our reservation was honored, and our food was timed perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals I've hadOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014Nearly everything about Magnolia's lived up to its status as one of the best restaurants in Charleston. The appetizers and salads were incredible and my meal was amongst the best I've ever been served. My girlfriend ordered the vegetable dish, and the risotto was fantastic. I would have liked to have seen a few more vegetables in the dish though. S.N.O.B.'s vegetable plate was better. If there were a few additional vegetarian items on the menu it wouldn't hurt either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for lunch and dinnerlocalaliensVIPDined on 8/14/2014We had lunch with friends. Normally we do dinner every few months. But it had been a long time since we did brunch or lunch. It was outstanding. Service was impeccable. Food was great. Cobb salad topped with southern fried chicken, blackened catfish with dirty rice and fried green tomatoes, and flounder. All were just terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite food downtownNaanManDined on 8/13/2014Top notch. Consistently great food and service. The southern dishes are fantastic. Try the catfish and fried green tomatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hrr6Dined on 8/12/2014The first time back since the renovation, the restaurant was great. Now, they've added many more tables in the dining room and the noise level is so high that it is impossible to hear the person sitting right next to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- magnolias meets expectationsDundasfoodieDined on 8/12/2014Excellent food, attentive and quick service, in a very busy restaurant. Magnolias is a tourist hotspot in a city with many excellent restaurants, but it remains a high performerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014We went to Magnolias for our 32nd wedding anniversary. It was perfect--the service, the food, the ambiance. We highly recommend Magnolias.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodiereviewDined on 8/12/2014Had a great experience at Magnolia's. The entrees were delicious, especially the fried chicken. However, the Mac n' cheese appetizer was not enough to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Table from HellPhillyLouDined on 8/11/2014We ordered and received our appetizers immediately. Then we sat for over an hour freezing because the air was blowing directly on our table. Finally entrees! Disappointing. While my wife went outside to warm up my son was pointing out a drip from the ceiling when he knocked over his water. The waiter that cam to help was beyond rude, telling me I was nuts about the temperature. Plenty of good restaurants in Charleston. Magnolias won't receive our return business.Special Features:
- Not worth the moneyJBKBDined on 8/11/2014I took my wife here for our second anniversary looking for a good place to eat to spoil her...this is not that place. The atmosphere is nice, but the food is sub-par and our server was just looking to rack up her total on our check. I order the New York strip which was $34. Now I am not opposed to paying $34 for a steak but it should taste better than something I could do at my house on my grill. It was well....a normal steak that tasted a little to chard in spots. My wife said her fillet was good, but again it was $36 and was "good". As to the server, when I order my steak I did not realize that it came with mashed potatoes so I order a side of mashed potatoes which ended up not eaten nor taken off the check. Just overall not worth it.
- Charleston VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/11/2014A wonderful dinner in Charleston. Everything very good- food spectacular, Memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTravellerDined on 8/10/2014Once again I have been impressed by the excellence of Magnolia food and service. Outstanding.Special Features:
- Lovely DinnerRelishDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I had a very lovely anniversary dinner at Magnolias. We had reservations and were seated immediately upon arrival. We shared the fried green tomato appetizer that was delicious. I commented to the server how good the tomato relish was on the appetizer and he brought out the chef's business card and said that if I emailed her she would send the recipe. I have already emailed her. Hope I get a reply. We ordered the small plates of shrimp and grits and tuna that were both delicious. We ordered small plates to save room for dessert. My husband loved the chocolate brownie with ice cream. I had the Creme brûlée that was good as well.Special Features:
- Wonderful!!!SuefromCharlestonDined on 8/10/2014We were celebrating our anniversary and decided on brunch - the menu looked fabulous -- and it did not disappoint!! Had the banana pudding stuffed French toast - come on - who thinks of these things ?! Incredible ! Both the hostess and our sweet server, Carrie, wished us a happy anniversary and we were given mimosas on the house to celebrate! Still the classy, wonderful restaurant it's been for many years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fooddingerDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I very much enjoyed our selves and the food was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lynneDined on 8/9/2014Excellent Food and Service. Best Restaurant in Charleston.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/8/2014Excellent Southern comfort food in an excellent venue !Special Features:
- PeanutVIPDined on 8/8/2014We are from Chicago & are spoiled with great restaurants but dinner there Friday not was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014This was our 50th anniversary and it did not measure up to our expectations! Service was ok, food was nothing special, table in middle of room. Watched cleanup of spill on another customer most of our meal. THANK goodness I had a good date.
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2014Very enjoyable evening dining at Magnolia's. They honored my request for a more quiet area so that we could talk. Much appreciated.Special Features:
- Do not miss this place.RazzDined on 8/6/2014We come to Charleston every year. There are many good restaurants here but Magnolias has always remained on our list. A wonderful place for Sunday brunch, lunch, or dinner. Impeccable wait staff, very knowledgeable. Food is the essence of low country cooking. Don't miss the fried mac and cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.