185 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/
- Phone: (843) 577-7771
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday starts at 11:30am
Dinner starts at 4:00 pm daily
Sunday Brunch starts at 10:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Donald Drake
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: located between Cumberland & Queen Streets
- Public Transit: Charleston CARTA to and from Visitors Center can be picked up 1/2 block from the restaurant on the quarter hour. There are also local cab companies and Charleston's famous Rickshaws that will transport guests to their hotels.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private parking lot adjacent to the restaurant is available weekdays after 5:00pm & all day Saturday & Sunday. **Please note:This lot is not open during lunch Monday-Friday. However, public parking is available in the garage at the corner of Cumberland & Concord and rates will apply.
A word from Magnolias
Igniting a culinary renaissance upon opening in 1990, Charleston's most popular restaurant is located at the site of the city's original Customs House (circa 1739). Led by Executive Chef Don Drake, Magnolias remains a forerunner in upscale Southern cuisine, blending traditional ingredients and cooking techniques with a modern flair for artful presentations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Magnolias - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Magnolias reviews from OpenTable diners
727 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (462)special occasion (428)romantic (273)neighborhood gem (224)good for groups (172)great for lunch (166)notable wine list (156)hot spot (135)great for brunch (130)vibrant bar scene (40)kid-friendly (32)late-night find (28)scenic view (14)great for outdoor dining (10)Show More
- Southern ExcellencePrivate2IVIPDined on 11/27/2014If you want to experience a true southern style experience, we recommend the fried chicken. I was skeptical and order the more health salmon and turkey, two separate years during our annual visit to Charleston from Atlanta. However, I finally succumb to my kid's suggestion for fried chicken. It was UNBELIEVABLE!. I've dined in the best restaurants in Paris. The fried chicken at Magnolia's is equivalent to the La Tour D'Arent in Paris! Exquisite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rushed serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/25/2014We have dined here before and had an amazing experience. This time, not so much. we were uncomfortably close to the table next to us and felt rushed by our waiter. We thought he was about to offer to go cups for our wine. We were there well under an hour for meals including filet mignon and salmon. We were suspicious when the food literally came out 10 minutes after ordering. The Salmon dish was great. Filet was just ok due to salty cheese on top and a potato cake that was dry with too much garlic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnolia's is fineCouperinDined on 11/24/2014I took an out-of-town guest here. All was excellent. I ordered oysters Rockefeller, which was supposed to have two oysters per shell. Mine came with only one. I was given two more oysters without question. The dinner orders were perfect. I recommend this place wholeheartedly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014We chose Magnolia's for our anniversary dinner, and were not disappointed. The food was fantastic, and the service from Carrie was exceptional. This is a must restaurant for anyone in Charleston who wants an exceptional dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnolia'S CharlestoncbmbamaDined on 11/24/2014We really enjoyed the beautiful decor and delicous food. The boiled peanut hummus and fried green tomatoes & fried chicken were off the charts. (& my daughter 17 said she'd eat those collard greens every day).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do it onceRIfoodieVIPDined on 11/23/2014Magnolia's is an institution, but there are now many better places to experience low country food. Go once and get it over with
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2014Brian was a wonderful server. He recommended fabulous menu items. We have fried green tomatoes, breaded flounder, and short ribs. Food was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KristyDined on 11/23/2014We had a wonderful time at Magnolia's. We started off with some Fried Green Tomatoes as an appetizer. The tomatoes were cooked perfectly and the spices used woke up our taste buds immediately. My friend ordered the Creamy tomato bisque and I chose the blue crab. Both were delicious. We both ordered Shellfish over grits. The dish was amazing! The seafood was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2014My family and I visited Magnolia's for brunch during our recent trip to Charleston. We shared fried green tomatoes and apple fritters, both of which were excellent. I had the banana pudding stuffed French toast. It wax very good, although a little done on the edges. The peanut butter syrup was incredible, but sweet. My family enjoyed their meals as well, but we all felt like it was too much food. Other items ordered were the pigs in a blanket, the grilled cheese pancakes (which they made vegetarian to accommodate my sister) and the special, which was a sausage and cheese bread pudding. Everything really was excellent and I felt very reasonably priced, especially for the amount of food that was served. I just wish we lived in town so we could have taken it home for later!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a tourist mustDChopperDined on 11/22/2014This was a most talked about restaurant that you must visit if a out-of-towner. Great food and good service! Had the seafood over grits and the fired chicken which was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulsnipsVIPDined on 11/22/2014This was our first visit to Magnolias and it won't be our last. All the positive reviews are accurate. We sampled the Fried Green Tomatoes and loved them. We enjoyed our bib and field greens salads. My fiance loved her Buttermilk Fried Chicken Breast and the Pecan Pie was wonderful. My only note of disappointment was with the shellfish over grits. For me anyhow the sauce made the flavors of the shellfish disappear. I would have preferred to taste the lobster, shrimp, and scallops. We will return and I look forward to more memorable meals at Magnolias.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014The dinner was very well presented looked delicious!! We had to wait a very long time for our table even though we had a reservation. The food looked delicious although it didn't taste as well as it looked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy restaurant, excellentTime2Eat74Dined on 11/19/2014The restaurant was busy so we did have a wait to be seated even though we had a reservation and it was awhile for getting our food but boy it was worth the wait- excellent food and waitress - the buttermilk chicken was amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston traditionFishyVIPDined on 11/19/2014Magnolia's is one of the must go places to take your out of town guests. The food sums up low country quisine and the hospitality is second to none. My wife and I love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING!!NYCDinerVIPDined on 11/17/2014Magnolia's is our absolute Charleston favorite!! We weren't even hungry for dinner but we were only in town for the one evening so we had to go to Magnolia's!! We had a couple of appetizers~ Fried Green Tomatoes and Scallops~ and a couple glasses of wine and it was perfect!! We even topped our little meal off with a piece of the pecan pie~ which was AMAZING!! Perfect ending to a perfect day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE MEAL!KevinDined on 11/17/2014We celebrated my birthday here, after visiting a few years back. The lowcountry bouillabaisse is possibly the BEST DISH on the face of the earth. I have eaten similar dishes around the country, but nothing compares to this. if you are in Charleston and have to pick a place to eat....this is it! We always do lunch, as they are very accommodating & the staff is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT RESTAURANTChrisDined on 11/16/2014I took my mom to this place for a retirement dinner and it was a wonderful experience. The food was great and so was the service. The only problem we had was the online reservations. When we got to the front desk they did not have our reservation and I had a confirmation email. Luckly it was during a slow time and were able to be seated right away. Other than that I would recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favoriteunhappyDined on 11/16/2014This is absolutely one of the best restaurants in Charleston! It never fails. Food is consistently delicious--the problem is deciding what to order--it all beckons and then delights. Service is friendly and not intrusive. Just can't say enough good things about this restaurant. We were just in Charleston for three days and ate there twice! My husband can never resist the Down South Eggroll, but then they added Fried Mac and Cheese! The Fried Green Tomatoes are the best ever and on and on and on . . .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even better than we expectedbonnieDined on 11/15/2014We arrived quite a bit earlier than our reserved time but the hostess was gracious & found a table for us. The service was excellent and our server was well versed on the menu items . We had steak, trout & flounder - all done to perfection. This restaurant was recommended to us by a friend who lives in the area - I will certainly thank her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerDavidOutForDinnerDined on 11/15/2014My wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary here. The food was among the best we have ever had; the service represented outstanding Southern hospitality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptionalElieVIPDined on 11/15/2014Amazing food, unbeatable prices. One of the best restaurants we've ever been to. Sam, our waiter, was exceptional as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Charleston's greats!DC22Dined on 11/15/2014Everything about this restaurant was great. We we're waited on by Ira, the best server to ever grace the food industry. He went into exquisite detail regarding the dishes available, and helped us select some of best items on the menu, all while making us feel included and excited to eat there. Our party of 3 dined in for lunch, and had their fried green tomatoes appetizer (most unique in Charleston), and we split the shellfish over grits, parmesan encrusted flounder, and the buttermilk fried chicken. All three were amazing! We tried shrimp and grits at several other spots around the city who were reported to have "the best", and this was our favorite! For dessert, we split a slice of pecan pie, which was also amazing. I also have to give a shout out to their sweet tea, which was wonderfully balanced from a sugar perspective. All of our selections were suggestions from Ira. He is passionate and knowledgeable about the menu (you can tell he loves the food here), which made us all the more excited about our food selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and memoriesDanielDined on 11/15/2014This restaurant was recommended by a friend. They suggested that we try the turnip greens. Everything, from the appetizer of fried green tomatoes (mind-blowing good) to the entree with a side of turnip greens, that did not disappoint, was amazing. I can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014Friday night was our fifth time at Magnolia's. Love taking people visiting Charleston there. It's the perfect place...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnolias is great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Food was excellent. Ed, our server, was also top notch. If you like chicken livers, order them! They are served with country ham. My husband ordered them as his entree and they were awesome. Restaurant was really crowded and a little noisy. If you're looking for an intimate dinner for two, this probably isn't the place to go. But, overall, it was an enjoyable dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern ComfortGarWVIPDined on 11/13/2014On vacation, we recently stopped by Magnolia's on a tip from a friend. Tired décor and a wood-paneled bar that looks like it came out of a Ikea box greets you upon entry. However, do not turn around! You won't be looking at anything besides your plate after the friendly server brings you possibly the best gourmet fried chicken ever conceived, it's so good it doesn't even deserve that down-market appellation, but I can't think of any other way to describe it. Also check out the southern eggrolls and the shrimp and grits. Us "Northerners" don't know what we're missing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnolias- best of CharlestonMandyDined on 11/13/2014Magnolias always a must when we visit Charleston. Only one disappointment in an otherwise fabulous experience. Chicken & dumplings..way too much pepper & chicken was tough & seemed like leftover pieces. Will still go back when in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedgidgetVIPDined on 11/12/2014This was our first and our friends' second visit to Magnolias. I doubt any of us will return. Athough our friends recalled having had one of the best meals of their lives at Magnolias, none of us had that experience last night. We arrived on time for our reservation. There was no southern charm in the greeting. After seating, our server promptly appeared and was a bit cold-he later warmed up. We ordered wine, then discovered we all wanted the same and wanted to change to a bottle. At first the served declined, saying the the wine had already been poured, but then changed his mind and we got the bottle. The waiter was attentive during our order and sensitive to my food allergies. The tricky part was between serving our starters then waiting for the entree-1.5 hours later. The gm and our server both arrived with apologies and offered to comp the wine and starters, but the problem was we were hungry. During that 1.5 hour wait, the server was no where to be found. We waited another 20 minutes and dinner finally arrived. The grits with the flounder dish overpowered the fish, but the flavors were good. The duck was particularly greasy. The fried green tomatoes were over breaded and over cooked. The shrimp was overcooked. We appreciate that the gm stopped by our table and our server asked us to return. Unfortunately, there are too many wonderful restaurants in the area to spend time again here.
- Best in Charleston SCcadallic75Dined on 11/12/2014I'm going to make this short and sweet. Hands down one of the BEST restaurants in Charleston SC..............Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way better than expected!kbeatswellDined on 11/11/2014This place has been around a while so I was hoping for very good at best. What we got was excellent. Edward our server was a delight to talk to. His recommendations were good and the kitchen delivered! We did small plates so we could experience lots of things and every bite was great. By the way the grits with shrimp sausage and ham was truly amazing and even though it is listed as a small plate, it is large and filling and could easily be chosen as a main course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/11/2014The ambiance of the restaurant is excellent. It is in the heart of Charleston and is close to everything. The food is fantastic. Try the grouper and the green fried tomatoes. Best in Charleston and I have been to most. Better than the Husk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableStoneyVIPDined on 11/10/2014My family made a short trip to Charleston for a quick getaway. There are a lot of great choices but one can never go wrong with Magnolia's. The service was tremendous and the good is always great. It's one of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was very enjoyabledarjanDined on 11/10/2014My cousin and I had a very nice dining experience at Magnolias. We started with a fried green tomato appetizer which was very good. My cousin ordered the fried chicken with mashed potatoes, biscuits and greens. She said that it was the best fried chicken she has ever eaten. I had the flounder with crab, rice and corn--very yummy. Great bread and house merlot was very nice. Unfortunately, no room for dessert. We ended up taking half the meal back to hotel to eat the next day so got to enjoy it another day. Next time visiting Charleston we are planning to go back. Great environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- red57Dined on 11/9/2014Staff attentive. Food absolutely delicious! A wonderful culinary experience.Special Features:
- Good dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2014Good menu choices. Great service. Food was delicious.Special Features:
- Gluten free should mean gluten freethelopezVIPDined on 11/9/2014And the restaurant staff should be educated as such, and able to answer questions about the menu. Especially if there is a specific GF menu provided by the restaurant. Not to mention, the wait to just get food was astronomically slow.
- danmVIPDined on 11/9/2014we are locals and still enjoy this "tourist" restaurant. Several delicious items onthe menu and a nice charleston touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014My sister and I stopped by for brunch on Sunday, and I'm so glad we did! The location is great, right on East Bay Street in a lovely area. The food was delicious, we ordered the Banana Pudding stuffed french toast and Salmon cake Eggs Benedict. Both were amazing!! We will certainly be visiting there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh not so specialFine2dineVIPDined on 11/8/2014Visited magnolia's because of all the great reviews. Food was average and service was average at best. Waiter was sweaty kept wiping his sweaty head then served food, Gross! Compared to other restaurants around town this one is average definitely not great or amazing.Special Features:
- Must Eat At MagnoliasMovinlocalDined on 11/7/2014We have eaten here before, and the food is always great. The service is awesome, the bartenders are great as well. Overall, an awesome eating experience. You never feel rushed thru your meal, it was just great.Special Features: