185 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/
- Phone: 8435777771x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday starts at 11:30am
Dinner starts at 4:00 pm daily
Sunday Brunch starts at 10:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Donald Drake
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: located between Cumberland & Queen Streets
- Public Transit: Charleston CARTA to and from Visitors Center can be picked up 1/2 block from the restaurant on the quarter hour. There are also local cab companies and Charleston's famous Rickshaws that will transport guests to their hotels.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private parking lot adjacent to the restaurant is available weekdays after 5:00pm & all day Saturday & Sunday. **Please note:This lot is not open during lunch Monday-Friday. However, public parking is available in the garage at the corner of Cumberland & Concord and rates will apply.
A word from Magnolias
Igniting a culinary renaissance upon opening in 1990, Charleston's most popular restaurant is located at the site of the city's original Customs House (circa 1739). Led by Executive Chef Don Drake, Magnolias remains a forerunner in upscale Southern cuisine, blending traditional ingredients and cooking techniques with a modern flair for artful presentations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Magnolias - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Magnolias reviews from OpenTable diners
712 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (440)special occasion (438)romantic (285)neighborhood gem (224)notable wine list (159)great for lunch (157)good for groups (140)great for brunch (127)hot spot (125)vibrant bar scene (41)kid-friendly (30)late-night find (21)scenic view (14)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- One of my Charleston FavoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2014We stop here whenever we're in Charleston. The food at Magnolias always exceeds my expectations. This time the Seafood and Grits and my favorite the rainbow trout were spectacular. Try the fried green tomatoes for an appetizer.Special Features:
- great place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Service was exceptional. Our waiter was very attentive to us. Food was outstanding! !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal of the trip!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014We went for Sunday Brunch and EVERYTHING was impeccable. Go there!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Excellent foodJoJoVIPDined on 10/18/2014Dining at Magnolias is a treat. Parmesan crusted flounder was wonderful as were the scallop and crab cake appetizers. It is however noisey and tables are close together. One of our chairs was at the edge of the dining area entrance which feels less than inviting. This was the second time that we've dined at Magnolia's. The waiter disappeared after our food was served during our first visit. We ended up with the same waiter this time around and service was improved. Magnolia's is definitely on our list of favorites due to the quality of the food. Appears that the wait staff is entirely male. I'm not sure of the point of this practice.Special Features:
- a great dining experiencealwaysthere1VIPDined on 10/18/2014Our waiter, James was outstanding in spite of the fact that the restaurant was jammed. He went out of his to offer the best service with special emphasis on the signature dishes. We all enjoyed this restaurant; a top choice in Charleston.Special Features:
- Great Taste of Charleston!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Our party enjoyed the crab bisque, buttermilk fried chicken, southwest egg rolls, pork belly, and the wedge (bibb) salad. All were excellent! The bisque was flavorful without being too spicy. The pork belly was perfectly done. The egg rolls had just the right amount of kick too them. We are northerners and the service was a bit slower (on a Saturday night) than we would expect, but certainly was nothing to complain about. We reminded ourselves we were "south of the tension line." The absolute highlight of the night was the pecan pie, loaded with pecans and with a rich and sweet taste. The signature brownie was also very good, obscenely rich, but certain to delight a chocolate lover! Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We have been to Magnolias twice and both times were excellent. The service, food and atmosphere are all excellent. I would definitely eat there again and highly recommend it to others. Both of our visits were special occasion, but I would go just for a nice lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Every trip I make to charleston includes a visit to Magnolias. One of my favs for years. Never a complaint!!Special Features:
- Very disappointingLucky1VIPDined on 10/17/2014. The restaurant was crowded and noisy and not a pleasant dining experience. The service was terrible. Our waiter was inattentive. My order was not prepared the way I had requested and when our waiter finally came around, he took it back to the kitchen where they scraped off the top preparation of the fish( I am allergic to peppers and specifically asked if they could prepare this dish without, which he assured me they could) and brought me the same piece of fish without the topping. In a restaurant if this caliber I was shocked. No attempt from a manager was made to address this. We got our check and left and would not go back or recommend it. With all of the wonderful choices in Charleston, don't eat here!Special Features:
- SandraOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014We always enjoy Magnolias each set of friends that come to visit us from Virginia we take to Magnolias for a touch of South Carolina charm and great food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/16/2014Brought two out of town guests here for the first time. they were pleasantly pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lunch We Won't Forget!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful lunch at Magnolia's on the final day of our visit to Charleston! Both his southern fried chicken and my cedar plank trout were delicious. What a memorable way to round out our time in this great city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations too high?DrRoyceDined on 10/15/2014One of those places where their reputation has preceded them a bit to far. Food was good but not edgy, wine list was interesting but not especially creative, service was professional but too heavily loaded to do the right things at the right times, decor is elegant but kind of stark. Example: The much-vaunted fried chicken was indeed better than average while down the street at Poogans Porch theirs made us both go wide-eyed and eat every morsel on the plate. Will go back to Poogans, wont go back to Magnolias.
- Lovely dining experienceqotuDined on 10/15/2014We had a delightful meal last week at Magnolias. The food was excellent. The wine list was varied with out being overwhelming. We were able to order to please every preference. The seafood over grits was especially good.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant.SCbumpDined on 10/15/2014Fried green tomatoes best ever and I should know because I grew up eating them. Wife and friend said chicken breast was great. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and charmOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/15/2014This trip to Charleston was our first and Magnolias was recommended by multiple people. From the word go the service was wonderful where you can tell staff care greatly about the diners experience. The restaurant was beautiful with the old charm of the building but modern spin. The food had wonderful flavors with great presentation. Of all the places we ate in Charleston, this was our favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston loverTNVol13Dined on 10/15/2014Can't say anything negative about Magnolia's. Everything from the atmosphere, service and certainly the food was extraordinary! We eat here every year when we come to Charleston.Special Features:
- Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/15/2014This is the second time we have had very slow lunch service at Magnolias. Food and ambiance are good, but it would be hard to go there very often.
- DeliciousJulieDined on 10/14/2014Travelling from Canada, we wanted to expereince the Charleston dining scene. We were not disappointed with Magnolia's, which offers tradition souther dining but often with a modern twist. Loved the blacked catfish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyfatsoDined on 10/14/2014What a comfortable place for dinner. Just sitting by myself for several minutes was pleasant, and attention was paid to me. Sitting in the front at a window was the best place, our wait staff was excellent (Sarah and her apprentice), and our wine and meal were superb. Wish I could eat at Magnolia's once a week!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014Excellent evening. Food was superb. Attention to the one lactose intollerent guest was flawless. A dining experience. Not just dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014My second time to magnolias and it didn't disappoint. Food is very creative and plenty of it. The service was spot on. Our dessert of pecan oue with vanilla ice cream on top was the icing on the cake! A friend is going to charleston in two weeks and has already made a reservation based on my recommendation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnolia reviewMlpdineDined on 10/13/2014The open table reserve was quite easy. Food was top rated as was service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!BigJackDined on 10/13/2014We love New Orleans and thought nothing could compare for southern cooking, until Magnolias. Try the shellfish and grits. They invented it. Florence, our waiter, picked the perfect bottle of Burgandy to pair with the meal. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Great food selection, polite staff!Drakeman12Dined on 10/13/2014Definitely a restaurant I'll eat at again next time I come back to Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best down home food with flair!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/12/2014I came to Charleston with this type of food in mind. Magnolia's hit the spot. Wonder, friendly waitstaff with lots of southern charm. I had the fried green tomatoes and chicken and biscuits, my husband had the chicken livers and BBQ and collard greens. Everything was spot on delicious! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceExgerberDined on 10/12/2014Great attentive and friendly service. Excellent food - crab cake, fish, shrimp and grits all so tasty. Enjoyed a romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always OutstandingRick4finefdDined on 10/12/2014For many years I have always returned to Magnolia's on a short visit to Charleston, threatening to try another place. It remains the most enjoyable eating experience anywhere. Brunch included the finest fried green tomatoes, salmon eggs benedict and Bloody Mary's.Special Features:
- MagnoliasBob46VIPDined on 10/12/2014A very good restaurant with interesting food choices. On our latest visit, the service was slow. We believe that it wasn't the server's fault, but the kitchen being overwhelmed.Special Features:
- BrunchNu2CharlestonDined on 10/12/2014I was entertaining house guests at brunch. The duck comfit omelette was a big hit, as was the pecan pie. The service was good, not great, but the setting was very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious experienceLLWFDined on 10/12/2014Both the food and service were fantastic. We enjoyed the apple fritters, ham and cheese pancakes and pigs in a blanket. All were excellent. The food was very reasonable priced given the potion sizes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotDublinDined on 10/11/2014The food was great. The wait staff was very helpful and prompt. My only complaint was that it was a bit on the loud side. But that said, my wife and I had a lovely time there on out anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014I had the Ahi tuna for dinner. I was very happy with it. The service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Servercugirlie2001Dined on 10/11/2014Our server (I wish I could remember his name) was wonderful! He was informative regarding the menu, as well engaging and outgoing. The bartender did not tend to us, while we waited for our table reservation, speaking only as we left the bar. However, the food, atmosphere, and great service from our server made it an outstanding dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner, October, 2014NewportDined on 10/10/2014We ate here and found it up to what we have experienced in the past which was a lively spot with great food and service.Special Features:
- Almost PerfectpixkyeaterDined on 10/10/2014Very pretty environment, and quiet for the number of large tables. Food was amazing- we enjoyed everything, including flounder, tuna, seafood over grits and trout. All four of us were totally happy- with 2 exceptions: We had a reservation for 7pm & we finally got a table at 7:30. We ordered 2 desserts- 20 minutes later we had to flag down our waiter and were informed it was just coming out. 25 minutes later we were informed that their torch for caramelizing the crème Brule was broken and it was in the oven being caramelized. Sorry, but I would hate to see what came out of the oven after 25 minutes of caramelizing...Our waiter was very pleasant and offered to comp us something else, but frankly, we were so full of great food we declined.Special Features:
- Snowharp2VIPDined on 10/10/2014We had a reservation but had to wait for 30 minutes. That was ok because the bar was nice and lively and we were happy to have a drink while we waited. Our waiter was a little on the abrupt side-yes they were busy but when my British husband asked the size of the ceasar salad (American portions can be huge and it was to be a starter) the waiter replied quite curtly and acted like the question was stupid. Living in America we see HUGE portion sizes compared to Europe and it was a legitimate question. He warmed up a little bit with service during the meal but having eaten at Magnolias in Purcillville VA (better in our opinion all around), it was a disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencetraveler32401Dined on 10/10/2014This was an all-around great experience. Excellent food, ambiance, service. Although we were stuck in interstate traffic, we called to request that they hold our reservation for a table even though we ended up being 30 minutes late, and they accommodated our request. The meal was expensive, just as we expected for this type of experience. They have adequate free parking next door, which is unusual in Charleston. Thank you for a great date night with my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GirlsonthegoDined on 10/10/2014Awesome evening. So glad we were able to get reservations ariving at 5 on our way to Hilton head. We enjoyed the decor and comfortable white clothed tables. Our server, Billy, led us through the menu and we gladly followed his suggestions The fried green tomato was the best we've had. The drinks, with sweet tea had a great southern twist. My daughters shared several small plates and our entres. Everything was delicious and had layers of taste. Be sure you leave enough room for the pecan pie - Amazingly light and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely returnSeaborn7VIPDined on 10/10/2014The woman next to me on the flight to Charlestown recommended this restaurant and our party of seven with two kids all agreed that this is a great place. Nice setting, location a few blocks from the water, ambiance, food, and service - it has everything a good restaurant should. I'd definitely go back on my next trip here.Special Features: