Magnolias at the mill
198 N. 21st Street
Purcellville, VA 20132Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Magnolias at the mill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.magnoliasmill.com/
- Phone: 5403389800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 2:30pm, Friday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Mark Marrocco
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Magnolias at the mill offers 2 Bins on the upper level, one seating up to 6 guests & the other up to 18 guests. (not wheelchair accessible)
A word from Magnolias at the mill
Magnolias at the mill is a contemporary American restaurant within a restored grain mill specializing in locally grown products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Magnolias at the mill - Best Restaurants in Purcellville ›
Magnolias at the mill reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (101)special occasion (88)fit for foodies (73)great for outdoor dining (70)great for lunch (69)romantic (56)notable wine list (50)good for groups (48)great for brunch (44)kid-friendly (35)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (16)scenic view (15)late-night find (8)Show More
- Love MaggiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014This restaurant has the best service, food, and atmosphere. Its one of my favorites, never a bad meal....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- September anniversary lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/16/2014We loved sitting outside on a gorgeous September afternoon to celebrate our 25th anniversary. The food was amazing, our server was excellent, and the outdoor seating was perfect. We were there at 2pm, so not all of the tables were taken. Thus, it was more relaxing and less intrusive on other peoples' dining (or ours). Loved it!Special Features:
- Gorgeous historical restaurantVPeloDined on 9/15/2014My husband and I had dinner here to celebrate his birthday. It came highly recommended where we were staying (Historical Rosemont Manor), and we weren't disappointed. The place has a great story, and the decor is really amazing and authentic. There were so many enticing items on the menu that we ended up ordering a bunch of share plates to try as much as we could! Service was great and attentive - they even printed a menu with "Happy Birthday" on the top for my hubby! The whole experience was great except for one thing: there was a large party seated nearby that was quite loud, and it took a little bit away from the romantic dinner. I would happily recommend this restaurant for a nice dinner out :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunch spotAliJVIPDined on 9/15/2014My new husband and I ventured to Purcellville while on our honeymoon in Middleburg. We had a lovely table outside, but shaded. I want the Bianco pizza with tomato sauce instead of white sauce. No problem! And it was so yummy! My husband got the Big Easy burger. He is still talking about it, days later, saying that it was the best burger he's ever had. And to top it all off, our recessional song from our wedding came on while we were dining. It was all just so perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food!nightoffunDined on 9/13/2014Food was delicious, however service was very slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just for the HalibutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We ordered the halibut special and it was overcooked. Expected better for $29.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I WANT to love it, but needs workLoveTheCountryDined on 9/7/2014Love the location, love the outdoor ambiance. Very friendly patrons, great small-town feel. We had a couple issues, and the staff was caring, really terrific, wanted to make it right, cared what we thought. Good menu, but our food was a bit overdone, especially the fish and the drinks very small.Special Features:
- I loved it!DoctorJohnDined on 9/7/2014We went here on the recommendation of a friend. It was really nice!!! There was live music when we arrived (guitarist), not too loud, but just enough to enjoy. The food was great, and the wine list extensive. I will definitely be going back!!!Special Features:
- Glass of wine was expensivefrequentdinerDined on 9/6/2014My dining companion asked for a glass of Pinot Noir to go with her prime rib when it arrived, but paying $14 for one glass was high, she didn't see the price until the bill arrived. Disappointed in that pricing. Server didn't ask if she wanted this or that...seem like there would have been a house wine to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good TimebirthdaygirlDined on 9/6/2014The food was good. No wait due to advanced reservation. Staff was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique northrrn VA restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014Restored mill in Purcellville right at the end of the W&OD trail. good menu and vibrancy abounds....even a small outdoor area under a tentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is over rated.TheMasterDined on 9/6/2014The 12 oz prime rib was cold, unseasoned, and undercooked. Mashed potatoes tasted artificial (from a box) and were cold. The 4 four inch long pieces of asparagus were cold. The pudding was cold. The horseradish was watered down with a cream sauce and had little flavor. No alcoholic drinks were ordered, not everyone in the party of four ordered desert and with a tip - $180. This was a big let down.
- Truly enjoyable brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Great selection of beer on tap; service was excellent and food was good. Black bean/corn soup was delicious, skillet mussels were definitely on the small side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch with my FamilyMikeGRestonDined on 8/31/2014We sat outside with the W&OD Trail nearby but behind a fence so not a bother. The service was great and the food was absolutely delicious. We brought my 19 month old with us and they treated him like one of the family. Definitely worth the trip we made from Reston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, as usual.RavineRoadieDined on 8/30/2014Hickory grilled steak salad was very tasty and great value. Fried green tomatoes not as good as prior visits. Drinks are overpriced. . .but we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst meal ever....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I would never go back to Magnolia's. The food was horrible. If they can't cook a simple fish then they certainly won't get a recommendation from me. Wahoo was the night's special and it was cooked so long it tasted and looked like very dry chicken. The tomatoes served on the side of my salad were soggy and looked like mush. I had to send it back. Does anyone look at these plates? I can't understand someone sending a plate out with a nasty looking tomato on it. The atmosphere was just as bad. I felt like I was at a Cracker Barrel instead of what is supposed to be a nice restaurant. Most people there where wearing T-shirts and blue jeans and kept hats on at the tables.
- Service was greattjbataliDined on 8/28/2014Our server was wonderful. Came to our table at the right times, let us settle in and didn't come over every 5 minutes to fil out wine glasses. She let us enjoy the wonderful patio seating and the delicious food.Special Features:
- Too SaltywxyzDined on 8/26/2014Have always enjoyed Magnolias and never had any issues with the food until now. On the evening of 8/26 two different entrees were both extremely salty. Couldn't finish the meat or fish dish because of it.Special Features:
- Next TimethegodmotherDined on 8/24/2014Hubby and I definitely chose the wrong menu item - lobster rolls. As native New Englanders this choice was a disappointment to us. At $17 there was very little lobster in the roll, the roll was tough, and could not discern its other ingredients - e.g. there was no obvious butter and if it was prepared with mayo - I could not tell. Drinks were excellent and prepared as we requested. But nonetheless we enjoyed our excursion to Purceville, the ambiance of Magnolia, and the cheerful and professional wait staff - so will give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good!DeliciousDined on 8/24/2014Went for lunch this time and it was great. Tomato Gouda soup was creamy and a perfect match for a loaded grilled cheese. The burgers were cooked to perfection and the fries were brown and crispy but not overcooked. The service was perfectly paced and we were given time to enjoy the meal. Dessert, the Caramel Bread pudding was delicious, warm and gooey, a must if you like caramel. In over 10 visits we have never been disappointed and it's a 35 mile trip for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantTopeyeDined on 8/23/2014Went there for 28th anniversary with my wife. Seated immediately by our reservation on a busy Saturday night, 8/23/14. Waiter was very attentive and fairly knowledgeable about most items on the menu. Very interesting old mill setting. Didn't 'wait long for food. Salad was good but bacon grease in dressing had just begun to cool and congeal on spinach by the time it was served. My NY strip was cooked exactly to my request and was tender, juicy, and very delicious. Perfect whipped potatoes and asparagus. I sampled my wife's shrimp and grits and found it to be awesome too. My really neat and tasty cheesecake was very good. Price was slightly higher than I normally pay at comparable restaurants but will return for other special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GET AWAY FOR FUN!MemoriesDined on 8/20/2014Every time my friends and I dine at Magnolias we enjoy the food and relaxed atmosphere. Sometimes it is very noisy, but we just talk louder! The desserts are delicious! It is a wonderful meeting place and summer time the indoor porch is perfect. On cool days the outside dining is enjoyable. After driving 1 hour from the East, I love to dine in the best place in Purcellville and walk around town afterwards!Special Features:
- JBismynicknamedammitVIPDined on 8/19/2014I made a reservation through Open Table. A table was waiiting for us when we arrived, even though the restaurant was on about a 15 minute wait. When making the reservation, I mentioned that we would be celebrating my friends birthday and that she chose the resuptuarant for their gluten free menu selection. I appreciated the personal touch that the restaurant took in customizing her menu to have only gluten free itema andit even had Happy Birthday across the top. The food was good, the service was excellent and the ambiance was ideal for a quiet lunch. Thank you to all.Special Features:
- DisappointingYMMVDined on 8/17/2014Went for Sunday brunch. Table ordered Strawberry crepes, Stuffed French toast, and Cuban nachos. Only the nachos were especially good. Crepes and French toast were lukewarm. French toast was not stuffed but basically a sandwich of two slightly overcooked and slightly dry brioche french toast slices spread with a Nutella filling that was so diluted with other ingredients that it tasted neither of chocolate nor hazelnuts, plus some sliced strawberries. It was accompanied by three slices of really fabulous, perfectly cooked bacon. We all wished we had ordered lunch rather than breakfast items. Cocktails were very good. Service was a bit slow and disinterested. Room was too noisy to hear the person on the other side of the table.
- Excellent Food and ServiceMichaelWVIPDined on 8/16/2014The menu offered several options for our gluten free table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love ItOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014This was our second time dining at Magnolia's and very favorably impressed both times. Ordered the lacquered salmon both times (it was recommended the first time) and it did not disappoint. One of the best salmon preparations I have ever had. Also had the tomato smoked gouda soup and my husband had outstanding gazpacho. It's a wonderful restaurant in a small town. The staff made me feel "at home".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placequilterDined on 8/13/2014I have been to Magnolia's several times and have had a great meal each time. There is always something that is different that the usual burger or salad and it always tastes great.Special Features:
- great experiencealigatorDined on 8/12/2014We have been here a few times and love it every time. Really great food and ambiance. Service is wonderful too. Nothing to complain at all about.Special Features:
- Remarkable ExperienceOutofTownerDined on 8/8/2014I've visited Magnolias at The Mill before, several years ago before moving out of state. It was as good or better than I remembered! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watermelon/Feta SaladGrutoVIPDined on 8/7/2014Perfect combination on a hot summer day! Topped with grilled chicken is a nice finishSpecial Features:
- billyzwrrDined on 8/2/2014First time there and had a party of 4. Very enjoyable for all of us. Wait staff was great, even asked kitchen if they could make a special appetizer that was not on the menu but used to be. They could and the ladies thoroughly enjoyed it. Prime Rib was delicious. Will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aimermanger1Dined on 8/2/2014Beer selections numerous and tasty. Daily selection of food superb, both regular menu and specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Meal with FriendszeldasayreDined on 8/1/2014We've eater at Magnolias at the Mill before, mainly at lunch and it was fine, but our dinner Friday night was outstanding: prime rib for two of us rockfish for my husband and I and both were delicious. The food was timely, the service right on point, no shortcomings...and the dessert was to die for....We all raved about our dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Was Great!kss1113Dined on 7/30/2014The food was great. Truly delicious. It was the best part of our experience. The food took a long time to get to our table. I'm not sure why the long wait but the waiter did apologize. We had a child with us so we were not looking for a long dining experience but thats what we had. We ended up being there for almost 2 hours and that was just too long. We were also seated in a room off the main dining room, a sun room. It was a chilly night and the ceiling fans were running and we were all quite cold. I'm sure this would have been a lovely room in the afternoon when you could see outside but it was very basic for evening seating. Truly had no personality at all. I would have much rather been seated in the main area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Loudoun EateryRichBDined on 7/30/2014Magnolias served a wonderful 'Farm to Fork' dinner with local wine accompanying. The seating is great with choices of outdoors, indoor porch, or traditional dining room. The service was impeccable. Whether dining casually outdoors after a walk around town, or a romantic dinner for two, Magnolias is a great choice. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!LizzyFontaineDined on 7/27/2014I reserved my parents a table at Magnolia at the Mill for their 46th wedding anniversary. I stopped by with my credit card for them to pay for the meal with and left instructions for them NOT to see the bill. They arrived and were handed special menus that read, "Happy 46th Anniversary Harold & Rena," which they got to keep at the end of their meal. When it came time for their bill, they were handed a bill that read, "Your dinner has been paid for compliments of Lizzy Fontaine." They were so surprised by the service they received and raved about the food, the wine and the ambiance. Thank you SO much for providing such a memorable experience for them. We will all definitely be back!Special Features:
- Lost our reservationRosefDined on 7/26/2014Even after a phone call, when we arrived they could not find our reservation in their system, so we lost our table. Ended in a back room. Everyone's cappuccino was cold and tasteless. They replaced all of them-- replAcements were exactly As they should have been the first time. Peach Melba ice cream was void of sweetness and had a strange after taste. Rest of meal was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great lunch!luv2dineDined on 7/24/2014We only get to stop here for lunch on our way from Pennsylvania to a destination in Virginia. We always look forward to our "lunch break" at Magnolia's. The food is always delicious, the wines by the glass selection is good and the Martini's are ice cold. The servers are attentive and friendly. An all around great experience!Special Features:
- Exeptional BrunchDeliciousDined on 7/20/2014Service was great, our waiter was friendly and efficient. Food was excellent, frittata cooked to order, French toast was fluffy with warm syrup. Highly recommend you try the Bloody Mary's. Bartender even made our party peach Bellini's even though they weren't on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and great serviceCLGSDined on 7/19/2014We received surprise guests from out of town on a Saturday evening so we took them to Magnolias. Everyone had eaten dinner so we ordered appetizers and desserts. How do they make something as everyday as tomato soup so extraordinary? I don't know, but they did! And if you're feeling adventurous, order a Pink Squirrel from the bar. Delicious!Special Features: