Magnolias at the mill
198 N. 21st Street
Purcellville, VA 20132Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Magnolias at the mill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.magnoliasmill.com/
- Phone: 5403389800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 2:30pm, Friday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Mark Marrocco
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Magnolias at the mill offers 2 Bins on the upper level, one seating up to 6 guests & the other up to 18 guests. (not wheelchair accessible)
A word from Magnolias at the mill
Magnolias at the mill is a contemporary American restaurant within a restored grain mill specializing in locally grown products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Magnolias at the mill - Best Restaurants in Purcellville ›
Magnolias at the mill reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (100)special occasion (86)fit for foodies (70)great for lunch (68)great for outdoor dining (68)romantic (55)notable wine list (49)good for groups (47)great for brunch (44)kid-friendly (35)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (16)scenic view (15)late-night find (8)Show More
- Good Choice in the NeighborhoodDrMike82VIPDined on 5/24/2014I love introducing people to Magnolia's at the Mill and I try to make a point of going there whenever I'm in the neighborhood. The staff accommodates requests and I have always had excellent service. The food is good but fails to wow. We had the fried green tomatoes appetizer, which deserves its popularity. My girlfriend had the paella pot, but was not impressed. I had the shrimp and grits, which was okay. The ambience of the place is terrific. Eating here is never a bad choice.Special Features:
- Awesome!SoGoodDined on 5/24/2014Our waiter T was awesome! Great food and great service. Love the steak and the bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday FinalefoodsnobDined on 5/24/2014Since we have never been disappointed with our dining experience at Magnolias at the Mill, I knew I could count on you to put the perfect touch on my wife's birthday celebration. And it was the perfect end to a perfect day. Thank you and well done!!! We'll be back...with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After BaseballBJinVADined on 5/23/2014Great place for casual dining no matter the time. They welcome us after baseball practiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Firegal38Dined on 5/23/2014Always pleased when I eat here. The building is wonderful and the atmosphere also lovely! Food is all Delish !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1065 reviews are from the Magnolias at the mill reviews archive.
- another great lunchfoodieDined on 5/21/2014We have been to Magnolias at the mill many times and this time was like all the others: great food, and great service. Thank you and we shall return.Special Features:
- Fried green tomatoes were greatLynneDined on 5/20/2014Rest of the meal was just ok. Kale salad terrible!!Special Features:
- Our Everythingnosal25Dined on 5/17/2014"Maggies" is my go-to place. I can always count on excellent food with wine and beer choices to compliment. Service is always exemplary. Great tiramisu ice cream. "Maggies" beats out many(99%) of metro DC resturants but here parking is close and free.Special Features:
- 100+ year old flour millTheRoadLessTravelerDined on 5/17/2014Wanting to try something new we drove a half hour to Magnolias. Tucked in the corner of the historic district, the building is a well preserved former flour mill. Hulking wood walls and rafters encompass diners in warmth and ambiance. Pleasantly diverse menu from burgers to full entres. Food was very good, service attentive. We will put it on our to return list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Placekath1Dined on 5/17/2014We enjoyed the ambiance of Magnolias, my food was good, my husbands was not that great according to him. Waitress was very professional and helpful.Special Features:
- Great As AlwaysVernDined on 5/16/2014Magnolia's has become one of our favorite restaurants, and for good reasons. The service is good, the food is great and we like the ambiance. This time around I had the ribs and they were some of the best I've had in quite a while. My wife had the Paella, which is what I had the last time I was there. I didn't particularly care for their Paella. It just doesn't fit the mold of typical Spanish Paella. For one thing the rice was runny and the flavor was off - at least I thought. My wife tasted mine when I had it and liked it so she ordered it this time around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was not worth the pricedaisyDined on 5/11/2014My husband and I always love the ambience of this restaurant. We went there for Mother's Day with family and the service was great, but the food was not worth the price. I was not pleased, they had a menu just for that day and I was looking forward to ordering from the regular menu. I will go back, but not on a holiday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed in the foodhealthhokieDined on 5/11/2014Been to Magnolias many many times. The mother's day food course was very disappointing. Shrimp cocktail came out swimming in water not on ice, salad was miniscule and almost no dressing. Tenderloin was good. Service was very very slow. Will NOT ever go back there for a special menu event. Eat at the the bar all the time and enjoy it immensely.Special Features:
- Very NiceRosemaryVDayDined on 5/11/2014Had a very nice time. Restaurant was very accommodating as my party got there late. In spite of that ominous beginning, we had a very nice time celebrating Mother's Day. The food was very good, very plentiful and the buffet was fully stocked until well after they advertised they would close down. Also, Purcellville is a very quaint town about an hour west of Manassas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, quaint, overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014The food was prepared well, although served via buffet. All items sampled were appropriately seasoned and cooked. The location and ambiance was country quaint. Unfortunately the buffet was no where near worth what was charged - grossly overpriced and insulting. Scratched off list of places to return to.
- Delightful PleasureLadyDi3Dined on 5/11/2014Had been for dinner, decided to try brunch. Again, I immensely enjoyed everything. The variety of options, gave me the opportunity to sample all kinds of yummy things from polenta & shrimp to the fantastic bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentGervaiseDined on 5/10/2014I've now been to this restaurant 5 times, including 3 times on one weekend when we were over from DC, staying in P'ville and couldn't find anywhere else we could agree on. The food is very good. What is most impressive though is the service. I have never had so many competent, knowledgeable servers who actually seem like they are just genuinely nice people. You really feel like they care and are not just doing their job. I want to single out Shawna and Alex. We actually had Alex twice in one day (we were hoping no would notice we were back for dinner) and it had obviously been a long day at the restaurant but Alex was still great -- we agreed he's one of the best waiters we have ever had. Shawna was great too -- give these people a bonus!Special Features:
- Steady Ruglar SpotBJinVADined on 5/9/2014Definite repeat, always pleasant, good food and service.Special Features:
- mommy and familyhappymouthDined on 5/9/2014We made our reservations online for Friday,. I had the truffle burger and we had a lovely time,great food. It tastes better than words share.Special Features:
- EnjoyableGaryDined on 5/8/2014Food was excellent, had salmon and very different then any I have had before, would without hesitation order again. Portions were very large. Server was good but forgetful or just did not pay attention at times, she was average. Will certainly return..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteBarbaraVIPDined on 5/5/2014We went here (again) to celebrate a family birthday. I had requested a large table in the main dining room, and was pleased to find that my request had been accommodated. The food here is consistently good, and that night was no exception. I almost never order a burger for dinner, but they're so good here it's my go-to dish. We had ordered a cake, which was delicious.Special Features:
- Delicious!!steelersfan89Dined on 5/4/2014Great prices, delicious food, excellent service. Would go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner!Hokiechica44Dined on 5/4/2014I have been to Magnolias several times for several occasions and have never been disappointed. I went for brunch for my birthday this time and it was delicious. I even got a special menu that said "Happy Birthday" along with some homemade chocolates. They definitely take care of you there and it is one of the many reasons I keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid place, not-so-warm welcomeSuzyDined on 5/3/2014Our 1st impression here was only fair. Would have been nice if the hostess staff looked up to say hello as we stood in front of them waiting for several minutes. The interior of the restaurant has a nice ambience, but we were paraded through and beyond the interior to a renovated, walled-in back porch, which was humid and lacking in décor. Once seated, service was mostly excellent - our waitress was very knowledgeable about the menu, very friendly. She failed to refill my coffee at all, but aside from that, the service was v. good. Food was fabulous - artful presentation and delicious from appetizers to dessert. Beware of the ladies room, which was out of TP in one stall, out of soap entirely, and generally in need of attention.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinner, WolfAlmostDined on 5/2/2014This was our first time at the restaurant and were looking forward to a romantic dinner with my bride. The staff was great. The decor we very interesting and fun to look at being an old mill. The prices were reasonable for a slightly up scale restaurant. The design of the food showed some creativity and training. The only problem we had was the actual preparation. The almond crusted trout was too heavily breaded and slightly over broiled giving it a heavy, slightly burnt taste. Lighten the breading and 3 minutes less in the broiler and the trout would have been perfect. The rest of the meal was quite enjoyable. The extra service, special menu, and truffles were greatly appreciated. We may return and sample other entrees.Special Features:
- Magnolias: High End CuisineFloggerAlDined on 4/30/2014In a world of mediocrity, Magnolias has become a standout destination restaurant for me and my friends and business associates due to its consistently superb and changing menu, and without decimating your wallet. Their attitude is as good as the food, and I have noticed that the bar is as popular as the seating area, so the locals admire the place as much as I do. I have never been disappointed at Magnolias, something that one cannot often say, but they never seem to have a bad kitchen day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sublime Grilled Swordfish!SpicyLadyDined on 4/28/2014Fine service and sublime service, with the grilled swordfish absolutely the finest I've ever had, not dry and flavorless (as is so common elsewhere that I hesitate to order it, but decided to chance this chef's special and am eternally grateful I did!)--it was just plain succulent: moist, tender beyond belief, and with an inspired glaze. The calamari appetizer was crisp yet tender, with a wonderful aioli, and the "three pigs" appetizer (three kinds of shaved ham) delightfully unique and nicely presented. The wine list is impressive with excellent wines, including nice local ones, in a wide range of prices. I've never been disappointed with this restaurant, whether for lunch or dinner, two diners or a group. A local treasure!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/27/2014This was out third time at Magnolias. We have found it average in the past. This trip was below average. The ravioli was ok the sauce mediocre. The salmon on the spinach salad was over cooked and dry. Our server was polite but not very attentive. Prices were high for the quality o food and service. Don't make a special trip.
- Can't go wrong!LuvsGoodSvcDined on 4/26/2014The ambience, food and service is all very good at Magnolias at the Mill. It was a great place to meet & catch up with friends we hadn't met in a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2014We always find ourselves at Magnolias following an afternoon in wine country. It is my favorite restaurant in the region with a great food selection and massive, high-quality craft beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Team hoganTeamhoganDined on 4/24/2014Outstanding service by Teague. ! Our dinner was wonderful and we always have a great time every time we visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BuffetSunloverDined on 4/20/2014I think the cost of buffet should include complimentary Bloody Mary, house wine or Mimosa. Some of the food stations were low on food and there was a wait for refills. This year's buffet was better than last year. Enjoyed it overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2014Wonderful.Perfect. Team and management certainly went the extra mile to make certain guests had a great experience. Thanks to each of you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great visitrhodamineDined on 4/19/2014We have coming to Magnolias for years. Food and service as always was great. Good beer list and high quality food. We noticed several of our favorite dishes have been rotated off the menu, but still a good experience.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseLadyDi3Dined on 4/19/2014We found this by way of Open Table and we were wonderfully surprised. I was able to get a delicious glass of Riesling, without have to get an entire bottle. My husband had the special which was prime rib, perfectly prepared. We also had an amazing sweet potato polenta. This was my first time and I will most assuredly be putting Magnolias in my restaurant rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth the trip to PurcellvilleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/19/2014Great food and great selection of unique beers. Sit outside if you can.Special Features:
- Birthday SurpriseCuteDined on 4/15/2014We enjoyed the food so much when we went there for dinner for my sisters birthday that we came back 2 days later for lunch! I loved the nice touch when they provided my sister with a special menu that wished her a happy birthday! They also gave her a little box of truffles free of charge. Great place!
- Great Place to dine!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/14/2014Need a quiet place to have Passover and they put us in a very quiet place. Love this place. Food great!! Best in the area!Special Features:
- Love Magnolia'sLaurieDined on 4/13/2014We love Magnolias at the Mill and go whenever we get a chance. It's a great destination for a Sunday drive ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I keep on going back!mariterDined on 4/12/2014Every time I bring someone else to Magnolia's, they love it.I would recommend this to a friend.