Magnolias at the mill
198 N. 21st Street
Purcellville, VA 20132Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Magnolias at the mill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.magnoliasmill.com/
- Phone: (540) 338-9800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 2:30pm, Friday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Chris Carp
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Your Place or ours – Our banquet/Catering staff is here to please.
Magnolias offer prepared platters, elegant catered dinners, business functions and elegant wedding receptions and rehearsal dinners. Take advantage of our extensive facilities including several choices in banquet rooms and an outdoor option that will really impress your guests or let us bring the party to you.
- Private Party Facilities: Magnolias at the mill offers 2 Bins on the upper level, one seating up to 8 guests & the other up to 18 guests. (not wheelchair accessible)
- Private Party Contact: Laurel Sherman 5403389800x109
A word from Magnolias at the mill
Magnolias at the mill is a contemporary American restaurant within a restored grain mill specializing in locally grown products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Magnolias at the mill reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (108)special occasion (93)fit for foodies (89)great for lunch (62)romantic (54)good for groups (52)notable wine list (48)great for outdoor dining (41)great for brunch (39)vibrant bar scene (29)kid-friendly (28)hot spot (28)scenic view (11)late-night find (9)Show More
- Wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/1/2014Magnolias catered my wife's and my wedding dinner, so we thought to go here for our one year wedding anniversary. As always, Magnolias is beautiful, quiet, and everyone is super nice. Food was delicious, and we are always excited to see what they have in store when the seasons change. Great place for a special occassion, or just dinner out.Special Features:
- Any occasionBJinVADined on 9/28/2014Great for a date or after a ball game. Definitely recommend. Starets and entrees are always good. Try the bread and oil.Special Features:
- DisappointedluvvirginawinesDined on 9/27/2014We have been to Magnolias several times. Our first experience was great, but the chef was a guest, and he did an excellent job with our wine-pairing dinner. After that, we found the food to be adequate but nothing to write home about. This visit was a complete disappointment. My crab-stuffed trout was overcooked and extremely salty. My wife and I both found our asparagus to be under-cooked and way too acidic. The potato-onion hash that came with my meal was bland to the point of being unappetizing. We the service is good, and the staff are pleasant. The sound level was formal normal conversation. Although the wine list appears to be adequate, we bring our own wine, so cannot comment. We won't be back until we hear of improvement.
- Seemed Very PopularSpringVisitDined on 9/27/2014Strongly recommend making a reservation, especially on weekend nights. We arrived in time for our reservation, and had a short wait while our table was prepared. The food was good, with an inventive list of offerings and very large portions. The restaurant was very crowded and quite noisy. The open nature of the building adds to the clamor. Overall, it was an enjoyable meal. Be advised that parking in Purcellville is somewhat limited, and you may have to allow time to walk to the restaurant from several blocks away.
- Magnolia'sDavidDined on 9/27/2014Great food, as usual, great service, as usual. But we felt a little rushed at times. Almost like they were looking for turnover. 75 minutes from seating to presentation of bill is a bit quick. We would have liked to have enjoyed our meal a bit more.Special Features:
- Great place to eat!JoshMDined on 9/25/2014We love Magnolias. We come here every year on our anniversary as it is where our rehearsal dinner was. They always make it special for us. The food is great and there is a decent range of choices on the menu. I can't speak to the wine/alcohol selection but I'd assume it's very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/25/2014Excellent as always. My son requested this place for his birthday dinner for the second time. Food was enjoyable and service impeccable.Special Features:
- Great Food and serviceFhlostonFoodieDined on 9/24/2014The restaurant is in an Old Mill and while there is some level of charm, the seating felt to casual for what it could be. The service was freindly and warm. The waiter was dressed professionally and he was knowledgable. The food was well portioned and cooked to perfection. Just the restaurant seemed to be missing something in the decor and ambianceSpecial Features:
- A Gem in LoudountincigarDined on 9/21/2014Magnolia's continues to be one of the best dining experiences in Loudoun. Mussels in spicy tomato broth provides a great beginning, one that can easily be shared among 2 or 3 diners. Burgers are juicy and full of flavor thanks to a deft hand by the grill man. Entrees, although a bit limited in range, have yet to disappoint. Service strikes just the right note of friendly casualness.Special Features:
- Excellentmjp1VIPDined on 9/20/2014This was our first dining experience at Magnolia's. The food was delicious! I would highly recommend the Salmon. The service was terrific. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Love MaggieslaurvaDined on 9/16/2014This restaurant has the best service, food, and atmosphere. Its one of my favorites, never a bad meal....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- September anniversary lunchrumkatDined on 9/16/2014We loved sitting outside on a gorgeous September afternoon to celebrate our 25th anniversary. The food was amazing, our server was excellent, and the outdoor seating was perfect. We were there at 2pm, so not all of the tables were taken. Thus, it was more relaxing and less intrusive on other peoples' dining (or ours). Loved it!Special Features:
- Gorgeous historical restaurantVPeloDined on 9/15/2014My husband and I had dinner here to celebrate his birthday. It came highly recommended where we were staying (Historical Rosemont Manor), and we weren't disappointed. The place has a great story, and the decor is really amazing and authentic. There were so many enticing items on the menu that we ended up ordering a bunch of share plates to try as much as we could! Service was great and attentive - they even printed a menu with "Happy Birthday" on the top for my hubby! The whole experience was great except for one thing: there was a large party seated nearby that was quite loud, and it took a little bit away from the romantic dinner. I would happily recommend this restaurant for a nice dinner out :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunch spotAliJVIPDined on 9/15/2014My new husband and I ventured to Purcellville while on our honeymoon in Middleburg. We had a lovely table outside, but shaded. I want the Bianco pizza with tomato sauce instead of white sauce. No problem! And it was so yummy! My husband got the Big Easy burger. He is still talking about it, days later, saying that it was the best burger he's ever had. And to top it all off, our recessional song from our wedding came on while we were dining. It was all just so perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food!nightoffunDined on 9/13/2014Food was delicious, however service was very slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just for the HalibutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We ordered the halibut special and it was overcooked. Expected better for $29.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I WANT to love it, but needs workLoveTheCountryDined on 9/7/2014Love the location, love the outdoor ambiance. Very friendly patrons, great small-town feel. We had a couple issues, and the staff was caring, really terrific, wanted to make it right, cared what we thought. Good menu, but our food was a bit overdone, especially the fish and the drinks very small.Special Features:
- I loved it!DoctorJohnDined on 9/7/2014We went here on the recommendation of a friend. It was really nice!!! There was live music when we arrived (guitarist), not too loud, but just enough to enjoy. The food was great, and the wine list extensive. I will definitely be going back!!!Special Features:
- Glass of wine was expensivefrequentdinerDined on 9/6/2014My dining companion asked for a glass of Pinot Noir to go with her prime rib when it arrived, but paying $14 for one glass was high, she didn't see the price until the bill arrived. Disappointed in that pricing. Server didn't ask if she wanted this or that...seem like there would have been a house wine to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good TimebirthdaygirlDined on 9/6/2014The food was good. No wait due to advanced reservation. Staff was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique northrrn VA restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014Restored mill in Purcellville right at the end of the W&OD trail. good menu and vibrancy abounds....even a small outdoor area under a tentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is over rated.TheMasterDined on 9/6/2014The 12 oz prime rib was cold, unseasoned, and undercooked. Mashed potatoes tasted artificial (from a box) and were cold. The 4 four inch long pieces of asparagus were cold. The pudding was cold. The horseradish was watered down with a cream sauce and had little flavor. No alcoholic drinks were ordered, not everyone in the party of four ordered desert and with a tip - $180. This was a big let down.
- Truly enjoyable brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Great selection of beer on tap; service was excellent and food was good. Black bean/corn soup was delicious, skillet mussels were definitely on the small side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch with my FamilyMikeGRestonDined on 8/31/2014We sat outside with the W&OD Trail nearby but behind a fence so not a bother. The service was great and the food was absolutely delicious. We brought my 19 month old with us and they treated him like one of the family. Definitely worth the trip we made from Reston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, as usual.RavineRoadieDined on 8/30/2014Hickory grilled steak salad was very tasty and great value. Fried green tomatoes not as good as prior visits. Drinks are overpriced. . .but we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst meal ever....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I would never go back to Magnolia's. The food was horrible. If they can't cook a simple fish then they certainly won't get a recommendation from me. Wahoo was the night's special and it was cooked so long it tasted and looked like very dry chicken. The tomatoes served on the side of my salad were soggy and looked like mush. I had to send it back. Does anyone look at these plates? I can't understand someone sending a plate out with a nasty looking tomato on it. The atmosphere was just as bad. I felt like I was at a Cracker Barrel instead of what is supposed to be a nice restaurant. Most people there where wearing T-shirts and blue jeans and kept hats on at the tables.
- Service was greattjbataliDined on 8/28/2014Our server was wonderful. Came to our table at the right times, let us settle in and didn't come over every 5 minutes to fil out wine glasses. She let us enjoy the wonderful patio seating and the delicious food.Special Features:
- Too SaltywxyzDined on 8/26/2014Have always enjoyed Magnolias and never had any issues with the food until now. On the evening of 8/26 two different entrees were both extremely salty. Couldn't finish the meat or fish dish because of it.Special Features:
- Next TimethegodmotherDined on 8/24/2014Hubby and I definitely chose the wrong menu item - lobster rolls. As native New Englanders this choice was a disappointment to us. At $17 there was very little lobster in the roll, the roll was tough, and could not discern its other ingredients - e.g. there was no obvious butter and if it was prepared with mayo - I could not tell. Drinks were excellent and prepared as we requested. But nonetheless we enjoyed our excursion to Purceville, the ambiance of Magnolia, and the cheerful and professional wait staff - so will give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good!DeliciousDined on 8/24/2014Went for lunch this time and it was great. Tomato Gouda soup was creamy and a perfect match for a loaded grilled cheese. The burgers were cooked to perfection and the fries were brown and crispy but not overcooked. The service was perfectly paced and we were given time to enjoy the meal. Dessert, the Caramel Bread pudding was delicious, warm and gooey, a must if you like caramel. In over 10 visits we have never been disappointed and it's a 35 mile trip for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantTopeyeDined on 8/23/2014Went there for 28th anniversary with my wife. Seated immediately by our reservation on a busy Saturday night, 8/23/14. Waiter was very attentive and fairly knowledgeable about most items on the menu. Very interesting old mill setting. Didn't 'wait long for food. Salad was good but bacon grease in dressing had just begun to cool and congeal on spinach by the time it was served. My NY strip was cooked exactly to my request and was tender, juicy, and very delicious. Perfect whipped potatoes and asparagus. I sampled my wife's shrimp and grits and found it to be awesome too. My really neat and tasty cheesecake was very good. Price was slightly higher than I normally pay at comparable restaurants but will return for other special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GET AWAY FOR FUN!MemoriesDined on 8/20/2014Every time my friends and I dine at Magnolias we enjoy the food and relaxed atmosphere. Sometimes it is very noisy, but we just talk louder! The desserts are delicious! It is a wonderful meeting place and summer time the indoor porch is perfect. On cool days the outside dining is enjoyable. After driving 1 hour from the East, I love to dine in the best place in Purcellville and walk around town afterwards!Special Features:
- JBismynicknamedammitVIPDined on 8/19/2014I made a reservation through Open Table. A table was waiiting for us when we arrived, even though the restaurant was on about a 15 minute wait. When making the reservation, I mentioned that we would be celebrating my friends birthday and that she chose the resuptuarant for their gluten free menu selection. I appreciated the personal touch that the restaurant took in customizing her menu to have only gluten free itema andit even had Happy Birthday across the top. The food was good, the service was excellent and the ambiance was ideal for a quiet lunch. Thank you to all.Special Features:
- DisappointingYMMVDined on 8/17/2014Went for Sunday brunch. Table ordered Strawberry crepes, Stuffed French toast, and Cuban nachos. Only the nachos were especially good. Crepes and French toast were lukewarm. French toast was not stuffed but basically a sandwich of two slightly overcooked and slightly dry brioche french toast slices spread with a Nutella filling that was so diluted with other ingredients that it tasted neither of chocolate nor hazelnuts, plus some sliced strawberries. It was accompanied by three slices of really fabulous, perfectly cooked bacon. We all wished we had ordered lunch rather than breakfast items. Cocktails were very good. Service was a bit slow and disinterested. Room was too noisy to hear the person on the other side of the table.
- Excellent Food and ServiceMichaelWVIPDined on 8/16/2014The menu offered several options for our gluten free table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love ItpenguinDined on 8/16/2014This was our second time dining at Magnolia's and very favorably impressed both times. Ordered the lacquered salmon both times (it was recommended the first time) and it did not disappoint. One of the best salmon preparations I have ever had. Also had the tomato smoked gouda soup and my husband had outstanding gazpacho. It's a wonderful restaurant in a small town. The staff made me feel "at home".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placequilterDined on 8/13/2014I have been to Magnolia's several times and have had a great meal each time. There is always something that is different that the usual burger or salad and it always tastes great.Special Features:
- great experiencealigatorDined on 8/12/2014We have been here a few times and love it every time. Really great food and ambiance. Service is wonderful too. Nothing to complain at all about.Special Features:
- Remarkable ExperienceOutofTownerDined on 8/8/2014I've visited Magnolias at The Mill before, several years ago before moving out of state. It was as good or better than I remembered! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watermelon/Feta SaladGrutoVIPDined on 8/7/2014Perfect combination on a hot summer day! Topped with grilled chicken is a nice finishSpecial Features: