Magnolias at the mill
198 N. 21st Street
Purcellville, VA 20132Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Magnolias at the mill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.magnoliasmill.com/
- Phone: 5403389800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 2:30pm, Friday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Mark Marrocco
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Magnolias at the mill offers 2 Bins on the upper level, one seating up to 6 guests & the other up to 18 guests. (not wheelchair accessible)
A word from Magnolias at the mill
Magnolias at the mill is a contemporary American restaurant within a restored grain mill specializing in locally grown products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Magnolias at the mill - Best Restaurants in Purcellville ›
Magnolias at the mill reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (97)neighborhood gem (97)great for outdoor dining (69)great for lunch (65)fit for foodies (64)romantic (62)notable wine list (52)great for brunch (48)good for groups (45)kid-friendly (35)vibrant bar scene (17)scenic view (17)hot spot (15)late-night find (9)Show More
- Service was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014Our server was wonderful. Came to our table at the right times, let us settle in and didn't come over every 5 minutes to fil out wine glasses. She let us enjoy the wonderful patio seating and the delicious food.Special Features:
- Too SaltyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014Have always enjoyed Magnolias and never had any issues with the food until now. On the evening of 8/26 two different entrees were both extremely salty. Couldn't finish the meat or fish dish because of it.Special Features:
- Next TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014Hubby and I definitely chose the wrong menu item - lobster rolls. As native New Englanders this choice was a disappointment to us. At $17 there was very little lobster in the roll, the roll was tough, and could not discern its other ingredients - e.g. there was no obvious butter and if it was prepared with mayo - I could not tell. Drinks were excellent and prepared as we requested. But nonetheless we enjoyed our excursion to Purceville, the ambiance of Magnolia, and the cheerful and professional wait staff - so will give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Went there for 28th anniversary with my wife. Seated immediately by our reservation on a busy Saturday night, 8/23/14. Waiter was very attentive and fairly knowledgeable about most items on the menu. Very interesting old mill setting. Didn't 'wait long for food. Salad was good but bacon grease in dressing had just begun to cool and congeal on spinach by the time it was served. My NY strip was cooked exactly to my request and was tender, juicy, and very delicious. Perfect whipped potatoes and asparagus. I sampled my wife's shrimp and grits and found it to be awesome too. My really neat and tasty cheesecake was very good. Price was slightly higher than I normally pay at comparable restaurants but will return for other special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GET AWAY FOR FUN!MemoriesDined on 8/20/2014Every time my friends and I dine at Magnolias we enjoy the food and relaxed atmosphere. Sometimes it is very noisy, but we just talk louder! The desserts are delicious! It is a wonderful meeting place and summer time the indoor porch is perfect. On cool days the outside dining is enjoyable. After driving 1 hour from the East, I love to dine in the best place in Purcellville and walk around town afterwards!Special Features:
- JBismynicknamedammitVIPDined on 8/19/2014I made a reservation through Open Table. A table was waiiting for us when we arrived, even though the restaurant was on about a 15 minute wait. When making the reservation, I mentioned that we would be celebrating my friends birthday and that she chose the resuptuarant for their gluten free menu selection. I appreciated the personal touch that the restaurant took in customizing her menu to have only gluten free itema andit even had Happy Birthday across the top. The food was good, the service was excellent and the ambiance was ideal for a quiet lunch. Thank you to all.Special Features:
- DisappointingYMMVDined on 8/17/2014Went for Sunday brunch. Table ordered Strawberry crepes, Stuffed French toast, and Cuban nachos. Only the nachos were especially good. Crepes and French toast were lukewarm. French toast was not stuffed but basically a sandwich of two slightly overcooked and slightly dry brioche french toast slices spread with a Nutella filling that was so diluted with other ingredients that it tasted neither of chocolate nor hazelnuts, plus some sliced strawberries. It was accompanied by three slices of really fabulous, perfectly cooked bacon. We all wished we had ordered lunch rather than breakfast items. Cocktails were very good. Service was a bit slow and disinterested. Room was too noisy to hear the person on the other side of the table.
- Excellent Food and ServiceMichaelWDined on 8/16/2014The menu offered several options for our gluten free table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love ItOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014This was our second time dining at Magnolia's and very favorably impressed both times. Ordered the lacquered salmon both times (it was recommended the first time) and it did not disappoint. One of the best salmon preparations I have ever had. Also had the tomato smoked gouda soup and my husband had outstanding gazpacho. It's a wonderful restaurant in a small town. The staff made me feel "at home".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placequilterDined on 8/13/2014I have been to Magnolia's several times and have had a great meal each time. There is always something that is different that the usual burger or salad and it always tastes great.Special Features:
- great experiencealigatorDined on 8/12/2014We have been here a few times and love it every time. Really great food and ambiance. Service is wonderful too. Nothing to complain at all about.Special Features:
- Remarkable ExperienceOutofTownerDined on 8/8/2014I've visited Magnolias at The Mill before, several years ago before moving out of state. It was as good or better than I remembered! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watermelon/Feta SaladGrutoVIPDined on 8/7/2014Perfect combination on a hot summer day! Topped with grilled chicken is a nice finishSpecial Features:
- billyzwrrDined on 8/2/2014First time there and had a party of 4. Very enjoyable for all of us. Wait staff was great, even asked kitchen if they could make a special appetizer that was not on the menu but used to be. They could and the ladies thoroughly enjoyed it. Prime Rib was delicious. Will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aimermanger1Dined on 8/2/2014Beer selections numerous and tasty. Daily selection of food superb, both regular menu and specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Meal with FriendszeldasayreDined on 8/1/2014We've eater at Magnolias at the Mill before, mainly at lunch and it was fine, but our dinner Friday night was outstanding: prime rib for two of us rockfish for my husband and I and both were delicious. The food was timely, the service right on point, no shortcomings...and the dessert was to die for....We all raved about our dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Was Great!kss1113Dined on 7/30/2014The food was great. Truly delicious. It was the best part of our experience. The food took a long time to get to our table. I'm not sure why the long wait but the waiter did apologize. We had a child with us so we were not looking for a long dining experience but thats what we had. We ended up being there for almost 2 hours and that was just too long. We were also seated in a room off the main dining room, a sun room. It was a chilly night and the ceiling fans were running and we were all quite cold. I'm sure this would have been a lovely room in the afternoon when you could see outside but it was very basic for evening seating. Truly had no personality at all. I would have much rather been seated in the main area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Loudoun EateryRichBDined on 7/30/2014Magnolias served a wonderful 'Farm to Fork' dinner with local wine accompanying. The seating is great with choices of outdoors, indoor porch, or traditional dining room. The service was impeccable. Whether dining casually outdoors after a walk around town, or a romantic dinner for two, Magnolias is a great choice. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!LizzyFontaineDined on 7/27/2014I reserved my parents a table at Magnolia at the Mill for their 46th wedding anniversary. I stopped by with my credit card for them to pay for the meal with and left instructions for them NOT to see the bill. They arrived and were handed special menus that read, "Happy 46th Anniversary Harold & Rena," which they got to keep at the end of their meal. When it came time for their bill, they were handed a bill that read, "Your dinner has been paid for compliments of Lizzy Fontaine." They were so surprised by the service they received and raved about the food, the wine and the ambiance. Thank you SO much for providing such a memorable experience for them. We will all definitely be back!Special Features:
- Lost our reservationRosefDined on 7/26/2014Even after a phone call, when we arrived they could not find our reservation in their system, so we lost our table. Ended in a back room. Everyone's cappuccino was cold and tasteless. They replaced all of them-- replAcements were exactly As they should have been the first time. Peach Melba ice cream was void of sweetness and had a strange after taste. Rest of meal was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great lunch!luv2dineDined on 7/24/2014We only get to stop here for lunch on our way from Pennsylvania to a destination in Virginia. We always look forward to our "lunch break" at Magnolia's. The food is always delicious, the wines by the glass selection is good and the Martini's are ice cold. The servers are attentive and friendly. An all around great experience!Special Features:
- Exeptional BrunchDeliciousDined on 7/20/2014Service was great, our waiter was friendly and efficient. Food was excellent, frittata cooked to order, French toast was fluffy with warm syrup. Highly recommend you try the Bloody Mary's. Bartender even made our party peach Bellini's even though they weren't on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and great serviceCLGSDined on 7/19/2014We received surprise guests from out of town on a Saturday evening so we took them to Magnolias. Everyone had eaten dinner so we ordered appetizers and desserts. How do they make something as everyday as tomato soup so extraordinary? I don't know, but they did! And if you're feeling adventurous, order a Pink Squirrel from the bar. Delicious!Special Features:
- I wanted it to be greatGlobetrotDined on 7/19/2014I rarely encounter a place that has some much going for it that is such a tremendous dissappointment. The Staff was friendly and professional. We ordered the Shrimp and Grits and the Paella. Food arrived and we dug in. We found that the grits on the shrimp and grits were barely room temp (they were getting that filmy covering) and the shrimp were almost raw. Grits tasted unremarkable. The Paella looked ok (plenty of sea food) some fish pieces were hard as super balls and others perfect and flakey. There was so much red pepper in the paella my ears started to burn. (Red pepper crushed what ever saffron was in the dish). Finished it off with the cookie and ice cream. Cookie dough was tan on top: rest was raw/ uncooked. DisappointingSpecial Features:
- Magnificent Magnolias'CandBDined on 7/16/2014What a wonderful place. The food and the ambiance of the old mill are just fabulous!! Do not miss the fried green tomatoes. There are so many choices here, it just makes us want to go back and back - and we do!! A great place to take an out of town guest, too. It is about an hour drive from the Fairfax county area, where we live. Folks love getting out of the city and seeing the beauty that is Purcellville. I highly recommend a visit here and then a stroll down the quaint old town street to another gem - the distillery. Simply a delight!Special Features:
- Lunch at Magnolia'sDrofsci14Dined on 7/14/2014Our lunch was great. Service was excellent and people friendly. Will visit again the next time I am in the area.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantkayceeintulsaVIPDined on 7/13/2014Always enjoy Magnolia's and look forward to their special offerings. However, the pork tenderloin daily special fell short of their usual excellent track record. It was very bland and could have used some sauce to liven it up a bit. We also had the Flank Steak Ceasar Salad and as always, it was spot on! Service and overall ambiance was excellent and less than perfect entree will definitely not keep us from returning from our favorite Purcellville restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointingNSNSNRNSDined on 7/13/2014This establishment is well staffed but stumbles on the food. Recommended appetizers like fried green tomatoes and spring rolls did not have a fresh taste. The Cajun style food was way too sweet. The plain burger was fine but the onion rings and fries were awful. All in all - nice staff but an awful attempt at cooking. Bar drunks are expensive and poorly executed. Diet Coke was flat.
- July 2014AlbertoDined on 7/12/2014Food and Waitress were great. Dinner on our Anniversary was memorable.Special Features:
- Wonder dinner experienceVAFoodFunDined on 7/12/2014I noted on our reservation that we were celebrating my wife's birthday. They sat us early, and gave her a personalized menu with her name on it. At the end of dinner, they gave her a small assortment of truffles, and her menu rolled up with a bow. Wonderful experience, and we will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner!JinannDined on 7/11/2014We chose Magnolias for our anniversary dinner. It was fabulous! We always have consistently delicious, innovative meals.....well prepared and served by a fabulous wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Xcellent!dogdooserDined on 7/11/2014So loved the food, and the service was fantastic! Great eclectic menu; worth the trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/10/2014They had wonderful menu selections when they began, but NO LONGER
- Amazing food and service!MdrusDined on 7/7/2014We enjoyed everything we got at what the locals affectionately call "Maggie's". Our waiter was phenomenal and kept our drinks fresh and our starters and meals came so quickly. Everything was perfect save a few wilted leaves in my salad but they were not readily visible from the top of the plate. We would go back in an instant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely ok for PurcevilleredlegbobDined on 7/6/2014Had the beef brisket and it was ok. Fiancee has the trout; it was ok. Good ambiance for a small town; but there are many other choices in NoVA which surpass this dining option. Will give it another try in the future when I'm in the area but I won't make the long drive to there purposely.Special Features:
- worth the drivesgidd17VIPDined on 7/6/2014This is an excellent restaurant, and I would make the drive for the burgers alone!Special Features:
- wow2funDined on 7/5/2014Drove 2 hrs to this place and let me juat put it this way. The drive was worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal for celebrations.dissatisfiedDined on 7/5/2014My only criticism is that there was an abundance of flies where we were sitting. We were in the enclosed room in the back and I kept seeing all these flies. The food and service were excellent so I don't want to give the review a negative spin.Special Features:
- A bit rushedKiffmeisterDined on 7/4/2014We're regulars at Magnolias and the experience is usually exceptional. However, maybe it was because it was Independence Day we felt the service was too rushed. We hadn't even finished our salads and the main course was being hustled in, and later our coffee order was forgotten until it was almost too late. But like I said, maybe it was because it seemed like the last sitting of the day and everyone was in a hurry to shut the place down and the restaurant was almost empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Bobcat1Dined on 7/2/2014The trout was excellent although adding a salt water topper like crab was a bit strange. The tastes are quite different. The service was great but be prepared to wait for items such as freshly prepared trout. The building and atmosphere was classic and warm because of the architecture and mill feel. It reminded me of the mill I once explored when I was a child. The only thing I would change is the lighting and seating. The lighting was quite modern and did not fit the theme, and the chairs looked like a cheap addition to such an expensive structure. Overall, I give it a four out of five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.