Magnolia Tap + Kitchen
624 E Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Magnolia Tap + Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.magnoliasd.com/
- Phone: 6192550925x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am -Close
Sunday: 11:30am -3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Comfort Food, Californian
- Executive Chef: Adam Sweetow
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Large Parties from 20 to 110 people
- Private Party Contact: Aaron Cribbes 6192550925x
- Entertainment: Live Music Every Friday and Saturday night
A word from Magnolia Tap + Kitchen
Magnolia Tap & Kitchen is where California fare meets Southern spirit. Everything we serve is simple, fresh and made-from-scratch daily in our kitchen. With local and sustainable ingredients as the backbone of our menu, you'll notice an infusion of rustic and authentic Southern-style cooking in each dish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Magnolia Tap + Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (22)vibrant bar scene (16)special occasion (13)late-night find (11)fit for foodies (11)romantic (7)hot spot (6)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Didn't meet expectationsCheesePritchardDined on 9/6/2014Although they hyped their cocktail menu, the drinks weren't all that spectacular. The "New Fashioned" tasted watered down. I was with a party of 4 and all our entrees were just OK. Not horrible, but nothing worth coming back for. An exception was the Mac and Cheese - it hit the mark. We felt the need to order the pecan pie since it was rated Best in SD, but again, it was just OK and I would never order it again.
- TastyKHFdezDined on 9/3/2014All of our dishes were excellent. We tried shrimp with bacon, fish and chips, carnitas and salad.Special Features:
- great food and awesome drinks!fun3Dined on 8/29/2014waitress was very helpful on recommendations being it was our first time their. very cute, new place. very different and unique inside. loved the food and drinks very good. loved the atmosphere and everyone was very welcoming and nice. in the heart of downtown, great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveDisappointedDined on 8/22/2014Wanted to try something new, but we would never go back. It's VERY noisy. The menu is very limited, more drink choices than food choices. And all cocktails and wine are very overpriced. I asked for a glass of sauvignon blanc, and they only had one choice, which they were out of. The only other white wine was chardonnay. Mixed drinks are $12 each. Portion sizes for the appetizers are extremely small (5 chicken wings), 4 shrimp and a tiny bowl of "duck fries". Don't know where the duck was. Our dinner for four was $232. And we didn't eat a lot.
- Nita's good as posted reviewsRegularDined on 8/22/2014We picked this place because of reviews. We were seated in the back right next to where the dirty dishes were being taken. Our waitress didn't come for over ten minutes and acted pretty disinterested with us. The other staff were great and the one gentleman who brought our water kept apologizing and said she would be with us soon. It was a Friday night and it looked like they had only two wait staff. The guy who seated us never even checked to see we had not had our orders taken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceseanc623VIPDined on 8/22/2014The food and service are always very good here. We come in often.Special Features:
- Loved it!LuvManusDined on 8/16/2014Great food, AMAZING DRINKS, fast and friendly service. Will definitely be back soon. Want to try everything on their menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good local placefootball63Dined on 8/16/2014Overall a great experience and I liked the food. I had the new Shrimp and Bacon specialty. It didn't really come with bacon however, as its more just pieces of fat. I didn't really like that and would recommend having at least strip of regular bacon on there. The shrimp, mushrooms, and grits were a great combination. Loooking forward to coming again.Special Features:
- Great FoodkatgDined on 8/16/2014Amazing tortilla chips. Attentive and personable service. Only complaint is that it was hot, hot, hot in the restaurant despite the fan above us. We were all sweating a little but the food made it worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeLocdogg747Dined on 8/8/2014Went here on a Friday night. I was calling around to find a place that would accommodate my party of 20. They were able to accommodate us. Food was great, wine was good, and the music was awesome! They had a live jazz band playing. I think the manager's name was Don. He was very nice, and he even gave me and my wife and glass of champagne each to celebrate our marriage the day before. Overall a great place, I would definitely go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceseanc623VIPDined on 8/6/2014The food and service are very good here. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014It was a bit too loud, once the band got going, but the service and food were outstanding! I was so happy to have found this place on OpenTable!Special Features:
- American LivingKaish23Dined on 7/4/2014This restuarant was an absolute blast. Low key/chill atmosphere, sitting next to live music, drinking from mason jars, and taking pictures on the exposed brick interior wall were just a few of the highlights. The service was wonderful, not too involved but still on top of drinks and our needs. We sat indoors but still got the outdoor vibe thanks to the openness of the dining. The food was delicious, we didn't get burgers but saw a couple who did and they were not possible to eat with just your hands - largest burgers I've seen (and I'm from TX) you get your money's worth 2x over, fit for all ages, groups and occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceseanc623VIPDined on 7/3/2014The food and service are always great here. We'll be back for sure. Courtney does a great job.Special Features:
- Early group birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014Reservation made through OpenTable with a special instruction for birthday surprise. Waiter was outstanding for his service and for carrying out the surprise. Very knowledgeable about menu and extremely friendly. Would recommend to try for sure.Special Features:
- Neighborhood NuggetArfaustDined on 6/27/2014I first visited this little gem during a cycle pub tour and was pleasantly surprised by not only the ambience and feel of this place but also by it's awesome food and drink offerings. On the tour I experienced their unique build your own Bloody Mary (which is not to be missed)! I returned this past weekend with my bestie for dinner and drinks before the Padres game. They had live music that enhanced the chill vibe of the place. I will definitely be back and encourage others to make this place part of their next downtown experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nancifromlamesaDined on 6/25/2014Had reservations for dinner before heading to the Civic Center. Turned out we didn't need them and were seated right away, given menus and water. The seater asked if we wanted anything from the bar. Our waiter came over and took our order and was helpful in our decision on what to order. Our meal arrived in a timely manner and was very good. We enjoyed our meal and would go back. We had bought a voucher online that unfortunately had expired but they did give us what we paid for it and we were happy about it. Service was great, the waiter checked on us several times and we would recommend Magnolia to others. Fries were to die for........yummm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- band did not showbigshelDined on 6/21/2014Made reservation to enjoy band with my wife but the band did not show. Which ruined my expectations.
- Happy Hour limitedFood is Hit/MissWorldDinerDined on 6/7/2014Went there for Happy Hour, not many people. We were first seated at a 4-top; after our drinks were ordered, manager reseated us to 2-top. Happy hour is very limited, only one specialty drink available, only three (appetizer, i.e. very small) food items available. Specialty cocktail was small, barely taste alcohol. Sliders were very dry, overcooked, bland. Cole slaw very bland. Beer fries bland. Fish & chips had way too much breading and overcooked. The only good item was their bacon mac & cheese.
- Good food and serviceseanc623VIPDined on 6/5/2014The food and service are always very good here. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- Great cocktails!NotAFoodieDined on 5/31/2014Went here for dinner a few nights ago before seeing a play at the Civic Theatre. Many of the people dining around us seemed to be doing the same. I love how this restaurant is located just off the busy, touristy main drag of the Gaslamp. Fantastic service, nicely designed interior, and an extensive and delicious speciality cocktail list. I got the grilled cheese and tomato bisque, boyfriend got the ribs, and we split pecan pie and ice cream sandwich for desert. All are highly recommended. Overall, a laid back and pleasant vibe with great food and drink. Can't go wrong with that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!KayJayDined on 5/24/2014Came here because a friend recommended and so glad we did! Everything was fantastic... the food, drinks and service. Loved the ambience. We were lucky enough to arrive during happy hour which was a fun bonus.Special Features:
- Nice addition to downtown dining!MikeVIPDined on 5/22/2014We came to try out this place with a Travelzoo voucher. We were blown away by the uniqueness of some of the offerings. I personally love the whiskey touch they put on everything from drinks to mains to desserts. I was last here when it was the Bare Back Grill. Anyway, everyone here is super friendly. My only gripe was that the service was a little slow, but that’s just me reaching for a critique. The steak was cooked perfectly and the pecan pie is scrumptious. All in all, it was a great night out with the Mrs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 45 reviews are from the Magnolia Tap + Kitchen reviews archive.
- Great food. Great service!!BeechbratVIPDined on 5/17/2014The owner is so nice and friendly. I love the ambiance, and drinks at Magnolia as well. Would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the Decor!CeehVIPDined on 5/17/2014All menu items looked delicious. Had the grilled cheese with tomato bisque - good. Service was extremely poor, though...we ordered our drinks and it took 10 minutes for the waitress to deliver them to us (she was either high or very overwhelmed), so they were watered down by the time they arrived. Waitress also forgot part of our order, so it came out when were were nearly done with our meal...disappointing! Host & hostess failed to sign us in with opentable, despite acknowledging our reservation at least 3 times. The decor is great and we loved the lighting, but service is really lacking. We were never asked if we'd like another drink and sat with empty glasses halfway through our meal. Might sit at the bar if we ever decide to return.Special Features:
- Really nice dinnerSDdinerDined on 5/13/2014Enjoyed a nice quiet dinner for 4 on a Tuesday night. Used Travellzoo coupon that covered. drinks, app. and dinner. Very friendly waitress. Was allowed to sample wines before choosing a glass. Good beer selection. The food was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mom's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014Great for low key afternoon lunner ~ Food was good, ambience relaxing ....Special Features:
- Great ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2014Wife and I were debating between this and a few other bar-type restaurants downtown - very happy with our choice, the service, and the pricing, which allowed us to sample several small plates, all of which were great shared.Special Features:
- Food tastes fairOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/10/2014I had high hopes for Magnolia Tap + Kitchen, because the menu sounds delicious. The food was just okay though. We ordered the shrimp app, burger, and ribs. The shrimp was tasty and so were the drinks. The burger was supposed be beef infused bacon, but the meat just tasted smoky. The fries were medium sized, soft, and beer brined. The ribs were tangy. The coleslaw was warm, but surprisingly not bad. The baked beans were bland , so they were left unfinished. The atmosphere was sedate. The cutesy tables had books with flowers on display. Clearly they like details, but the main focus should be on the flavor of the food.
- deliciousktebVIPDined on 5/2/2014shared mac and cheese, brussel sprouts and chicken wings with my wife and everything was delicious. had to keep ourselves from going back another night of our long wknd visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some things good, others need workDMacDined on 5/1/2014Full diclosure: We went in using a TravelZoo voucher. The glaring weakness was the cocktails because Magnolia style's itself as a specialty cocktail bar. We had the Jacq Nasty and the Bitterball and they were, simply put, rather watery. More oomph required. The ginger and bourbon cured salmon app was good, if a bit salty; the associated pickled vegetables were under-brined, but the deviled eggs were quite good. The salmon on the Caesar was good, as was the thick, garlicky dressing; the habanero cornbread croutons were, however, nonexistent, replaced by generic white bread croutons. We liked the seared rockfish sandwich and REALLY liked the beer-brined fries that came with it. Great look, good service. Just be selective about the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceseanc623VIPDined on 4/30/2014The food and service are always great here. It's close to work and home for us, so we make time whenever we can. Good Happy Hour deals, too. Check them out!Special Features:
- Unexpected Hot Spot FindFachoyVIPDined on 4/18/2014Great cocktails and menu selections. Located in Gas Lamp we enjoyed a late night dinner with awesome cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastropub & Cocktail Extraordinairebkm425VIPDined on 4/7/2014Wow. Didn't expect this. A bit north in the Gaslamp and worth every step. Walk in, boom, brined french fries and an Imperial Stout. Killer. Then another Boom - a Sarejac cocktail that looked pinky-red and wimpy but sipped smooth and tasted like spring was just around the corner. The smoked brandied salmon appetizer rocked - everything did - and the dishes are so creative you will want to go back again and again to try more stuff. What a great experience - and the prices are more than reasonable. The open air front let the breeze blow in - felt like outdoor dining and the people watching was great. Excellent. Go and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FindduibheasaDined on 4/7/2014This was a great restaurant, the cocktail list had unique (and delicious) options, the appetizer and entrees were tasty, and the service was very attentive. My husband and I visited because I had a Travelzoo voucher, but we will definitely be heading back there, both of us loved the food, and the prices were reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just off 5thn2nuplacesDined on 4/2/2014Don't miss this place.. Venture just off 5th to enjoy some great food while in the gas lamp district. I had the ribs and my friend had fish and chips, both we're excellent and so were the martinis. Good size portions and we went during happy hour so it was a great deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing fareSanDiegoTravellerVIPDined on 3/29/2014For a restaurant that bills itself as local and seasonal it was disappointing to find factory farm meat and the usual fried bar food. Cocktails looked great on paper but lacked in execution. Very disappointing, would not returnSpecial Features:
- AverageIODYNEDined on 3/21/2014It seemed more of a club scene than a restaurant. Service and food was just mediocre.
- Wyatt knows how to pick themConferenceGoerDined on 3/18/2014Apparently, Wyatt Erp used to come to this location (no plates flew off the wall). Ambience is comfortable. Nice specialty drink (even if they are on the small side). On a slow Tuesday night the easily accommodated at group of 7. Service was very friendly and helpful. Food was good. Not good enough for a foodie but competent. Worth the trip in the desert called Gas Lamp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tender Ribs + Horchata TwistJessicaVIPDined on 3/14/2014What more could a girl ask than a spicy twist on horchata to complement fall-off-the bone rib! Started by sharing coconut shrimp over a traditional Sazerac and the Winchester. Desserts looked amazing but I was too full! (Oh, and I went back the next week with friends from out of town...equally impressed!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.