Magnolia - Downtown
825 W. James M. Wood Blvd. ( a.k.a. 9th St)
Los Angeles, CA 90015Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Magnolia - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.magnoliala.com/
- Phone: 2133620880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch : Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm Dinner: Monday - Friday: 6 pm-9 pm Dinner : Saturday - 6 pm-10 pm Available for private events on Sundays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Magnolia offers off-premise catering from private dinner parties, cocktail parties, lunch meetings. For further information please email us at catering@MagnoliaLA.com.
- Special Events: Magnolia Downtown is perfect for events from rehearsal dinners to wedding receptions. We can seat up to 125 and hold 250 standing. Please contact email@example.com
A word from Magnolia - Downtown
Comfort food. Cool cocktails. Ambiance. Magnolia Downtown open for lunch and dinner. The newest outpost retains all of the elements you've come to love about the Hollywood original. Signature dishes like the Baked Mac & Cheese, New York Strip Steak & Fries, and the Mint Chip Ice Cream Sandwich. Full Bar & Wine List.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Magnolia - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
- Quality food. Great if pressedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2012Quality food. Great if pressed for time. Never too crowded. The burger is amazing. So is the grilled tofu crusted with black sesame seeds.Special Features:
- Terrible service. Ok food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2012Terrible service. Ok food. We were told with their validation parking in the garage was $5 all evening. It was $22.
- 1. Did not get my open tableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/20121. Did not get my open table points...host did not check me in correctly. 2. Waited a long time for food...we were one of only two tables seated. 3. Server did not know menu... 4. Was OVER-charged...wrong drink prices & charged twice for same item!
- Though the menu was very appetizingEatingLAVIPDined on 5/26/2012Though the menu was very appetizing, the execution of the food was very generic. Clearly not a place for foodies. The food was under-seasoned. Their signature Mac N' Cheese was dry and lacked the creaminess one expects of this dish. Our waiter was charming and attentive, but not able to describe the food with any passion. We were en route to theater, and were the only people in the restaurant when we left at 7:30PM
- This is a neighborhood restaurantVirgoDined on 5/25/2012This is a neighborhood restaurant for me, and I enjoy going there very much. The food is great, and the atmosphere (at least for an early diner) is quiet and peaceful.Special Features:
- Wherefore are thou, Magnolia?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/21/2012I'm not sure I know what Magnolia's after. We were downtown for a show at a jazz club and thought we'd give it a try – but it's a small, not-very-charming room with a very limited menu. The staff was fine, I suppose, but on a Saturday night, this place was a mausoleum. If I were heading downtown for a great night out, I wouldn't think to stop here along the way, and it's certainly not a destination. We liked what we ate well enough, it was all prepared well and fresh and tasty, but the experience itself was cold and anticlimactic.
- The food was just average.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/31/2012The food was just average. The service was bad and they were not even busy. It took forever to get our drinks. Not all the food for our entire party came out at once. One person waited considerably longer while the others waited as their food got cold. Would not recommend or go back. Now I know why I was able to get a reservation for 5 people at the last minute on a Saturday night.
- I took some friends to MagnoliaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/17/2012I took some friends to Magnolia for a birthday dinner. True to yelp reviews, it's a veritable ghost town on saturday nights (supposedly it does major lunchtime business downtown). It was nice to have a quiet and pleasant dinner! I wouldn't say it was mind-blowing, but it was delicious overall. I was mostly bummed that when it came time for desserts there wasn't really a dessert menu ... they said they are in the middle of revamping it. But that's ok ... we will definitely return.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/10/2012The service was great!!!! It was for my best friends birthday dinner. Food came out on time. All my friends loved the place. We will come back again soon!!!Special Features:
- Very close to Staples Center,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/3/2012Very close to Staples Center, and with us wearing our Kings jerseys, and a game at 7:30, our server could not be found to drop or pick up our check. Food was gastro-pub, and ambiance was lounge-y.Special Features:
- While nice to have anotherCAandMAVIPDined on 2/9/2012While nice to have another casual, modern restaurant in downtown LA, this one needs a little more zip in its menu. Interior is a very nice setting and prices are fine so it just needs more attention to interesting items and preparations.
- We've discontinued thatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/27/2012After seeing the menu online, I was looking forward to an excellent meal in a beautiful dining room. Upon arrival there was only one other table and they had finished eating. We ended up being the only guest at 8:00 on a Friday night. Kind of depressing. I did like the "Crisp", one of their specialty cocktails. We only ordered Mac&Cheese to start as we were told the other starters had been discontinued. Entrees were good but nothing special. Burgers overcooked and dry. We all wanted dessert but were told: "We've discontinued those." Very dissapointing and had they been good, may have changed my perception of the rest of the meal. Instead we were presented a check with a 20% gratuity added in and all left dissatisfied.
- I feel like the food wentdhartVIPDined on 1/27/2012I feel like the food went a little down hill. I've been to this location before as wells as the Hollywood Location a few times, and this time I wasn't impressed by the food.
- Very nice, on-target for not-so-expOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2011Very nice, on-target for not-so-expensive New Year's dinner. Everyone in our group of 9 was very pleased.Special Features:
- The music at lunch was tooOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/28/2011The music at lunch was too loud. The food was just ok.
- THANKS FOR A VERY UNHAPPY BIRTHDAYChristenDined on 11/19/2011Went here for my birthday dinner. Server told us that we couldn't order dessert because they normally close at 8pm. Magnolia confirmed my reservation for 8:30pm that same day, and after being so rudely spoken to I checked their website which says they close at 9pm. They did finally begrudgingly serve it to us.I have NEVER been treated so rudely,let alone on my birthday.Love the Hollywood location but Downtown was a mistake!There were 5 of us and we spent over $500 between champagne & such. Server was unable or unwilling to explain the validated parking to us, doors were locked so a couple of my guests left in the rain and returned after I called them back to the restaurant. Love being told oh we wanted to close but had to stay open for you.
- was looking for a new spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2011was looking for a new spot to eat at before a kings game. good cocktails, good food, plenty of time to make it to the game. will definitely be going back again.
- It's a bit expensive to makeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/4/2011It's a bit expensive to make it a dinner habit, but they have a Happy Hour from 5:30 - 7 with lots of discounts, the seats are comfortable and the food is fantastic! What a relief to have conversation and not have to top the ambient music!Special Features:
- They were out of a lot ofVTinDTLAVIPDined on 9/17/2011They were out of a lot of things on the menu. The first few things we ordered were not available and we both ended up settling for things we didn't really want. It wasn't that late, nor that busy.
- The salmon was dry, the steakFrustratedDined on 9/17/2011The salmon was dry, the steak overcooked and when sent back they brought the lesser cut of meat and were going to charge us the same as the more expensive one!!!
- This is our second time visitingLordginVIPDined on 9/3/2011This is our second time visiting this restaurant and our experience was much more positive than the last. The food was average on our first visit but our recent visit proved otherwise. The food was freshly prepared and very flavorful. The service was always much better as our waiter was quick to check on us often. Keep in mind that this restaurant is in a business are where it may prove busy during working hours but on Saturdays, the CBD in LA is quite slow which may hurt the restaurants ambiance. We have not been there during the work week and it may prove more energetic.Special Features:
- Great choice for any occassionspatellosVIPDined on 9/2/2011Pleasantly surprised with great food and a nice atmosphere, conveniently located.Special Features:
- Have been to this locationOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/1/2011Have been to this location and it was a little more vibrant. This night we were the only ones in the restaurant. This did not deter the staff from being quite gracious. Good food, sorry they didn't have more customers that night. We felt a little rude since all you could hear was our conversation and laughter.Special Features:
- A fair restaurant with a mixtureLordginVIPDined on 6/10/2011A fair restaurant with a mixture of good food and some that was average. Unlike it's sister location in Hollywood which has incredible well prepared food and an above average service crew, the Downtown location falls flat. The calamari was a bit dry and the red snapper was quite small and overcooked. To be fair the Chicken was very tender. Though we were the only guest in the restaurant with a small group on the patio, the service was very slow. We appreciate the assistance from the hostess who pitched in but could not understand the slow response from the waitress. At 7:00pm on a Friday night, the restaurant was empty, I fear this location may not last too long if they do not upgrade the food quality and increase the service.
- I love this little restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/26/2011I love this little restaurant. The food is delish, very fresh and nicely priced and even the parking is great for downtown!Special Features:
- Luke warm soup was the startBrkrDaveVIPDined on 5/10/2011Luke warm soup was the start of a non memorable meal.
- This place has a range ofOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/2/2011This place has a range of tasty and creative dishes with attentive service that's great for lunch. I think it gets overlooked for dinner, but equally great for dinner.Special Features:
- Good food; need more serversOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/29/2011We found it a bit stuffy inside so moved to an outside table on the side away from the street for our lunch. Surprised that only one wait person appeared to be handling the entire restaurant. She was fine, but spread way too thin to deliver appropriate, timely attention. We realized early on we'd be on our own, borrowing condiments from other diners, etc. Having said that, we all thought the food was pretty good, and the portions ample. I would have preferred a slightly more seasoned grilled chicken sandwich, but it was tender and the ciabatta was heated to perfection.Special Features:
- Thumbs up on MagnoliaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/27/2011I dined at Magnolia Downtown today for the first time. This restaurant was "a find" for me. After reading some of the other reviews on this site, I had expected good food, in a restaurant with great ambience, but with service that is spotty at best. My experience was that it does have very good food, athough the lunch menu is somewhat limited. Appetizers, salads, sandwiches and burgers are moderately priced. Entrees are comparatively expensive. The ambience is very pleasant, sleek and modern with large windows, giving it a very airy feeling. The outdoor back patio is quiet and very pleasant on a sunny day. Our server was excellent - prompt, friendly, knowledgeable - no "spotty" service today. I highly recommend Magnollia as a lunch spot.Special Features:
- Away From the MadnessOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2011Knowing that I was attending a very popular event at the Nokia Theatre, I wanted to avoid the hustle and bustle of LA Live. I was lucky to decide on a reservation at Magnolia. Little did I realize that the Stanley Cup play-offs were also occurring! Thank goodness I was able to take my date to such a romantic, quiet, and ambient location just a mere block away from the madness. The wait staff was extremely sweet and the bartendress was particularly awesome creating non-alcoholic versions of popular drinks. The food was spectacular. Every single thing we had we were wowed by. We stayed until we had mere minutes to get to our event because we were enjoying every last bite. I highly recommend Magnolia when you're in Downtown L.A..Special Features:
- A Little BoringBillDined on 4/19/2011It was OK ..nothing special. The menu was plain and featureless. The service was OK. The atmosphere was OK. Bottom-line … Magnolia is a forgettable restaurant
- The restaurant was nearlyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/11/2011The restaurant was nearly empty on a Monday night. I hope they survive.
- This is a great restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/2/2011This is a great restaurant, very close to the staples center. The food and service were very good. The price of the drinks and entrees was reasonable. I would recommend going here over the other over croweded spots at the staples center.Special Features:
- I'm a fan of Magnolia on SunsetOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/16/2011I'm a fan of Magnolia on Sunset but this was my first time at the downtown location. The food was great - including our mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches - and I enjoyed the restaurant and bar's design and vibe. I will definitely be back and bring friends (probably for a drink before heading to an event downtown) and our server Nick was so welcoming and helpful, he made the difference in our Magnolia experience.Special Features:
- Underwhelming and overrated.DroRDined on 3/3/2011My friends and I met up with our husbands for a Thursday night dinner after work. We had wanted to check it out during dine LA week but didn't have the chance. First, it was extremely hard to find the free parking lot. I called the hostess but her description wasn't accurate. I ended up finding street parking. Place was surprisingly empty, which I actually found nice, but the food was really just eh. I had a veggie burger and my husband had a regular one. Veggie burger didn't come with tomatoes for some reason, and the spinach dip/pita chips appetizer we ordered was just ok. Nothing I'd want to order again. Service was ok. They agreed to switch my fries out with the sauteed mushroom which were actually good. Overall, disappointing.
- We arrived early for our 5OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/24/2011We arrived early for our 5 PM reservations, in high spirits, anticipating an enjoyable meal before heading out to an event at the Staples Center. We were the only people in the restaurant for a full 30 minutes, except for the staff, who were glued to each other at the bar discussing their personal life experiences. Rather ironic that Magnolia later said we were a no show for our reservation. HUH? Our server was a nice person who wanted to serve us correctly. As 3 hungry people , we were able to order a solid variety from the menu. Sadly, the food was mediocre. We will seek another restaurant next time we will be in the area for a Staple Center event.
- Magnolia is ok.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2011Magnolia was okay. The food is decent. For appetizer, we ordered the tuna tartar and artichokes. Tartar is good. They served it with 3 pieces of potato chips and yucca chip. For Entree, my partner ordered the Pork Chops, and it was dry. I ordered the Turkey and Brie sandwich, and it was surprisingly better than I thought for a sandwich. For desert, we had creme brullee. The burnt sugar was a bit burnt, rather than carmelized. The bill was around 111 for 2. (Two appetizers: Tuna Tartare, and Artichoke, Entree: Pork chops and Turkey and Brie, Desert: Creme Brullee: Drinks: Iced Tea, Glass of Red Wine, and Coke) No View of Downtown LA. We went to Takami Sushi in DTLA three weeks ago, the bill was 109 with tip for amazing food and a great view.Special Features:
- Our Valentine's dinner atOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2011Our Valentine's dinner at Magnolia was great. It wasn't crowded, so there was great service. The portions were large, and I wish I could have eaten more because the food was great. Our drinks were nice and strong, the food was delicious, and the service was great. What else can you ask for?Special Features:
- The dinner menu we got forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/4/2011The dinner menu we got for DIneLA was all right. The ambiance of the place was great. The server we had was really friendly and made good recommendations for drinks as well.Special Features:
- not worth your timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/3/2011food was actually bad, not just okay but there were things I did not eat.