1224 W Wilson
Chicago, IL 60640Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://magnoliacafeuptown.com/
- Phone: 7737288785
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00AM - 3:00PM;
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday : 5:30PM - 10:00PM
Friday & Saturday: 5:30PM - 11:30PM
Sunday: 5:00PM - 9:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kaz Medhat
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Thank you for your interest in the private services at Magnolia! Our dinning fits 150 for a cocktail reception. Perfect for weddings, banquets, roasts, seminars, business meetings and special events of all kinds.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 7737288785
A word from Magnolia Cafe
Magnolia Café is located north of downtown Chicago in the newly revitalized neighborhood of Uptown. Magnolia Cafe celebrates another year as an Uptown Chicago's best restaurant. To show our appreciation to all our customers we are offering a vast array of fine dining specials. What better way to enjoy a night of Chicago fine dining than at Magnolia cafe. Our menu incorporates seasonal French American ingredients and other techniques.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Magnolia Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (57)fit for foodies (39)romantic (28)special occasion (20)great for brunch (14)good for groups (8)notable wine list (7)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good food great place to chatMsOver50foodieDined on 9/12/2014The food and service was very good. One of the few places that is well lit. Yes I could read the menu without having to have a flashlight and the place was quiet - so you could talk across the table. I met a friend and we could easily catch up without screaming. Quiet place- think it would be a good first date place - so you can have a conversation.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseKywineloverVIPDined on 9/11/2014Get together with friends from work -- very nice meal- well paced & delicious! More people should enjoy Magnolia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great servicewardDined on 9/7/2014Went there on a Sunday night, parking was easy on the street, waiter was very attentive, helpful with cocktail suggestions and helpful with the menu. Seasonal specials, nice presentation, relaxed atmosphere. Dining room is small, so reservations suggested. My wife had the watermelon salad followed by orecchiette pasta, and she enjoyed both. I started with the crab cakes and then had the braised beef short ribs served over spinach, with a side of bacon mac 'n cheese. The beef was very tender and tasty. I would definitely eat here again. Great neighborhood find.Special Features:
- Delicious BrunchPJRNVIPDined on 8/24/2014We met some friends for brunch on Sunday and had forgotten how great Magnolia Café really is. Each of our dishes were spectacular. I had the Huevos Rancheros which is two eggs sunny side up served over black beans, sweet corn, chorizo sausage, tostadas, homemade salsa and sour cream and I added the guacamole. MMMM - I have this dish many places, but the presentation and flavors here are like no other. If you have a hearty appetite, the Brioche French toast stuffed with raspberry preserves and cream cheese was also incredible. So if your looking for a great brunch place, this is the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food4twoFood4twoDined on 8/16/2014My friend and I both ordered the hangar steak (medium)... It was WAY overdone... We sent it back and it was perfect second time around... They were training a new cook...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really DisappointingJoeFoodVIPDined on 8/14/2014We have walked past cute Magnolia Café many times commenting "We need to try that place!" So we did and it was a sad experience. I'd have to say it was one of the worst dinners I've experienced in years. Maybe we hit the place on the chef's (if there is one) night off. Bread basket was full of undercooked flatbread. Ravioli appetizer was pasty, glue-like in texture, inedible. My roasted chicken appeared to have been rewarmed in a deep fryer and tasted old. Pasta entrée was ridiculously huge and relatively flavorless. Plusses: Friendly service, good heirloom tomato salad and solid cocktails. Again, hoping we just caught a (very) bad night in the kitchen. We really wanted to like this place, but $100 later we were bummed.
- EXPECTED BETTERLuv2eatoutVIPDined on 8/13/2014I expected a good meal at a trendy restaurant. What we got was a musty smell when we walked in. Food that was either bland or way too salty. Tt was a disappointment. Ordered Pulled Pork Ravioli appetizer, it was totally bland. Also ordered onion soup that was exceedingly salty. My main course was the Shrimp Risotto appetizer (more than big enough after the soup). So salty I could not finish it. My friend had the steak topped with short ribs. Would have been good if less salty. The service was very good and pleasant. There were a lot of people there on a Wed. night, so maybe it was just an off night, but we won't go back again.
- Great meal at a good priceCsharrowDined on 8/9/2014Bottles of wine range from $26-$55 which is great for a nice dinner out without breaking the bank. We had a bottle of wine, appetizer, 2 entrees, and dessert port for just over $100. We were there late and never felt pressured to leave although they were closing down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotwestlooperVIPDined on 8/5/2014I came here w/ a friend and we were both really blown away by the fantastic food but also the incredible portion sizes. In Chicago, where small plates are en trend and bills add up very quickly, it was nice to see a spot give a very large portion for appetizers and even larger portions for main entrees and dessert. All at very decent prices (apps were average. $10-12, entrees were $25- 35, desserts were all $8). I was really impressed by our server who somehow managed to wait on all tables in the restaurant, which meant around 20 tables at any one given time. Given that element, she wasn't overly attentive, but managed well despite it all. She was really pleasant. Overall, a great experience and I'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great little intimate place to dinegood2goDined on 8/3/2014Magnolias was a pleasant surprise. The service was slow, but we didn't mind, we were not in a hurry. We arrived early and there was only one table seated. There appeared to be only 2 people working (Bar and Server). They helped each other. Very friendly staff, the place was full by the time we left. Will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of the park!ThorVIPDined on 7/26/2014We dine here a few times a year and always have a great experience. This is our go to restaurant for good food and a nice evening out! We decided to take our out of town guest here for dinner on Saturday! Everything was delightful! I frequently order the pork chop and again it was over the top. We highly recommend this restaurant. Great food, nice atmosphere, and great service what more could you ask for?Special Features:
- Poor service, so-so foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/20/2014It was a Sunday night, fairly empty, and the waiter - who was also the bartender - didn't pay us much attention, despite the fact that there were under 10 people in the place. Two of the specials were sold out (a soup and an entree) and the food we did order was not great. Luckily, we were there on a Travelzoo voucher and so we weren't paying full price. Maybe that's why we weren't treated well? If so, not a way to generate repeat business.
- DeliciousSeansDined on 7/18/2014My family and I went there for my birthday. We enjoyed the food very much. My wife had the filet and I had the pork chop, my children had the short ribs. Everyone enjoyed itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home again , naturallyJeffortlessDined on 7/18/2014It's rare to dine at a restaurant for the first time and feel like you've been there before but that's Magnolia Cafe. The food was outstanding and the wine/drinks menu a thoughtfully chosen compliment. All well-served by people who seemed to really want you to enjoy being there. I arrived early and watched the restaurant fill up and no one seemed rushed or harried. I listened to the people around me and everyone was pleased by their selections. My hanger steak was so good if I had been with a group I would have been reluctant to share. This is a comfortable place with really good food and service and you should plan to dine there soon.Special Features:
- Friendly, relaxedFoodismyfavDined on 7/17/2014Dined on a weekday evening with two friends at this quaint, clean neighborhood restaurant. Waitress was very friendly, fun and accommodating. Menu is limited but a varied choice of dishes from which to select. A friend and I chose the Roast Chicken while a third friend had the Seafood Pappardelle and requested no mussels, which the waitress indicated was no problem at all. The food was outstanding, in my opinion. The waitress was very attentive, allowing us to take our time deciding and stopping by to check on us often but not in a pushy way. I would definately return for dinner here and will need to stop by and try their brunch. Wonderful weekday atmosphere and amazing food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and drinksbuttface1010Dined on 7/13/2014Excellent food and service! I did feel a little bad for the bartender/server/host. I saw one table leave without paying the bill and also some crazy lady walked demanding that she "have a plate"? The bartender remained calm throughout this awkward encounter with this lady, but it made some people uncomfortable. First time there, it was an upscale experience, but the neighborhood surrounding was a little bit questionable at some points. I would definitely recommend it, but don't get too comfortable after it gets late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed baghrubVIPDined on 7/13/2014I reserved on-line. They handled very nicely. The time to order and be served was too long. The waiter was not very friendly or interested. The servers were pleasant and appropriate. The coffee was very bitter and getting a cup of tea took some arm twisting. The food was very well done. Nicely presented, well spiced/balanced, and reasonable in quantity. On the strength of the food we will be back. I hope the wait staff were just having an off day. If they are more appropriate, this place overall rating would be significantly higher.Special Features:
- Not for Sunday brunchJandBVIPDined on 7/13/2014From the moment we entered we overheard the bartender complaining about working the sunday brunch. He said , just tell me hoe you want your fricking eggs, as he was complaining to a customer at the bar. We were seated promptly and given water and asked if we wanted champagne. We all declined and I did not hear the waiter ask if we wanted coffee because he spoke so softly. When our order came it was wrong. the food tasted good, so maybe I will try another time.
- Magnolia CafeFoodieDined on 7/11/2014Great food, atmosphere, wait staff - best meal I've had in a very long time!Special Features:
- Great spotJiggyJDined on 7/1/2014Stopped in before show at the Aragon. When staff inquired who was playing (New Order) they volunteered to switch to New Order Pandora channel. Great menu, great food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just good foodChicagoFoodieVIPDined on 6/22/2014Much enjoyed the food, creative, if not leading edge, good value. Been there before, will come back, well worth trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Great TimeReggieDined on 6/22/2014This place one of the best brunch on the Northside. The food is great and it the serve is mighty tasty! I would strongly suggest Stephen as a waiter. It is friendly with some southern charm.Special Features:
- A great night out for a coupleBobbyDined on 6/21/2014Wonderful place for a night out. My wife & I had a great night out without our kids for the first time in a while and everything went really well. I would recommend it to everyone.Special Features:
- Very pleasant experienceSandiDined on 6/21/2014As we have said previously ... why don't we go there more often? Everyone enjoyed their food. Two of us approached the dinner in a somewhat unusual manner ... ordering just diverse appetizers and salads. The orchietta with shrimp (replaced the unhealthy sausage) was terrific. Everything was excellent.
- Best BrunchCicconeDined on 6/15/2014Favorite Brunch spot for miles...Outstanding food and great service..Too often Brunch feels like an afterthought at restaurants. However, at Magnolia, all of the items I've ever tried have been fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and creative brunchChurchillVIPDined on 6/15/2014Had brunch here after many dinners and I was impressed. The servings were creative like Crabcake eggs benedict and wild mushroom omelet but the basics were still there. I always love the service and the ambience here also. I will return for breakfast and dinner.Special Features:
- Good food, server a bit of a downertiffetalVIPDined on 6/8/2014We enjoyed the good, but the server was sort of a jerk. Rude, impatient and never even looking at you when you order, in fact... in the middle of my order, he walked over to another table w/o saying excuse me or just a moment. He forgot things and had to be reminded many times. Maybe he had too many tables, or maybe he was just bad... hard to say?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemyosh62VIPDined on 6/6/2014what a find! downtown food and service nestled in Uptown. who would think it. Solid food, great waitstaff. Will definitely be back w/friends.Special Features:
- neighborhood gemeasytopleaseDined on 6/4/2014Presentation was excellent. portions were large. shortribs were great. I didn't care for the pork shank. Prices were fantastic. On street parking, and no waiting for a table was such a pleasure.Special Features:
- Great FoodMela526VIPDined on 5/31/2014This is a great find. So glad that we had a certificate or we may have never found this place. Now that we know where it is we always want to go back to try something different rfrom their wonderful menu. Food comes out steaming hot and full of flavor.Special Features:
- Great experienceSherrieVIPDined on 5/24/2014Everything was excellent, from food to service to wine/cocktails and timeliness!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 339 reviews are from the Magnolia Cafe reviews archive.
- Magnolia is the bestLandSVIPDined on 5/17/2014Magnolia Cafe is one of the best restaurants in the city. The food is always superb. We had the bouillabaisse and it was the best we have every had. Rich, fragrant, excellent flavors, and great presentation. There drink menu has interesting cocktailsSpecial Features:
- Delightful eveningJoyceeDined on 5/17/2014After a long drive from a NW suburb we were not disappointed. The restaurant was full when we arrived so the owner offered us a choice of immediate seating in an adjacent room or a short wait at the bar. We opted for the wait which was not too long and I enjoyed a delicious lemon drop martini. The atmosphere is cozy and we were seated in a corner space for dinner where talking was pleasant. Our food was delicious. They split the wedge salad for us and I enjoyed the mussels as my entre and my husband loved his boulliabaise dish. I was not happy with my choice of Pinot noir and the waiter graciously offered me another choice. The owner came and chatted with us. All in all it was a very enjoyable evening and we plan to return.Special Features:
- Great food, sub-par servicemichDined on 5/17/2014My husband and I had a wonderful meal early on Saturday night, but as soon as we mentioned the travelzoo deal our server started ignoring us. He actually walked away from the table after we mentioned it, and didn't come back to take our order for 10 minutes. The food was wonderful, but the service left a bad taste...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelicousLive2eatDined on 5/16/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our experience. The service was great, and both of our meals were fantastic. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/15/2014Excellent find. Outstanding food and service. Chad went out if his way to provide a most enjoyable evening for us. We will visit again when we are back in ChicagoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our meal was memorable!PinksterDined on 5/15/2014We shared a crabcake appetizer and both enjoyed it (nice bit of zing!). I had the chicken entree and partner had bouillabaise which was a special that day which went very well with the prosecco he ordered. Very happy with the taste and size of portions. The one waiter/bartender/whatever else (!) was very busy but never rushed us although it was a bit hard to get his attention at times. On our reservation we had requested a quiet table (usually turns out to be a corner table) but unfortunately one had not been saved for us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2014This is the cutest place. It has a great atmosphere. The food is amazing and our waitress was phenomenal! To start we order the shrimp and rosottio appetizer, it was amazing and could have been an entree itself. My dad got the braised short rib with onion rings and the bacon mac and cheese, the Mac and cheese was too die for. I have the pasta with Italian sausage in a creamy tomato sauce, I would order it again. It is a little pricey, but we had a restaurant.com coupon and the table next to us had a groupon, so I would definitely look into getting one of those to eat here. I will definitely go back and recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go got brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014I took a large group and had a great time. The huevos rancheros and they were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieover40VIPDined on 4/19/2014Cute restaurant. Friendly staff. Food was beautifully plated. Citrus vinaigrette was flavorless but the salad itself was yummy. For entrees, we had the scallops and the cod. My husband said the cod was delicious. My scallops were great but the mashed potatoes with smoked salmon was a bit much. It had too much of the smoked salmon in it. I would visit again and try other menu items.Special Features: