3673 Sacramento St.
San Francisco, CA 94118Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.magicfluteristorante.com/
- Phone: 4159221225
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: 10:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Magic Flute offers passed hor d'oeurves for 25 to 150 people.
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant is available for buy-outs or there is a beautiful private room for 25 or more.
- Private Party Contact: Phil LaCavera 4159221225
A word from Magic Flute
One of San Francisco’s most romantic restaurants, the Magic Flute, has a new and exciting menu reflecting California-Italian Cuisine. Located in fashionable Presidio Heights, the restaurant with sponge-painted walls and hardwood floors is reminiscent of a family-run trattoria found in a small Tuscan village. Sunlight streams in through large picture windows in the front dining room, and after dark, Florentine wrought-iron chandeliers, imported from Europe, infuse the room with soft light. The equally beautiful rear dining room looks onto a lovely, flower-filled patio with white Italian marble tables and large Italian market umbrellas that make the heated patio the ideal spot for al fresco dining. Phil LaCavera sees to it that service is personal and attentive. The staff also takes great pride in making each party and wedding a memorable occasion. You won’t find a more enchanting ambiance for your special celebration.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Magic Flute - Best Restaurants in Pacific Heights ›
Magic Flute reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)great for brunch (47)great for outdoor dining (44)great for lunch (30)romantic (21)special occasion (19)fit for foodies (17)good for groups (12)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Cute patio for great outdoor diningAstorgassonVIPDined on 8/3/2014My wife, our 2-year old daughter and I recently had brunch at Magic Flute and enjoyed it a lot. The menu is quite complete and the service was really good. But what really makes a difference is the nice little patio on Magic Flute's backyard. Not only is it heated, which is great for not-so-warm San Francisco; it's also well decorated, not too packed and very, very quiet. Really nice. Like I said, we were there for brunch with our daughter and loved it; but I could also see this a great patio to have a special dinner with your significant other. Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noname14Dined on 8/2/2014we were greeted warmly and although we stayed a long time, we were not rushed.Special Features:
- Great Food & Ambience, Bad ServiceFoodGeekVIPDined on 7/20/2014The neighborhood is very quiet and nice. We requested to sit outside in the patio which was "full" when we arrived. This was fine, the host told us it would be about a 30 minute wait. 10 minutes later he called our name and walked us back to the patio (without ever even looking at us). There was plenty of seating for 2 so I'm not sure where he got the "30 minutes" from. It took about 10 minutes for anyone to acknowledge we were there. A young server (not ours) noticed we had not been served so he took our full order. The food arrived in good time and it was great. We had 3 different servers/bus boys bring us our food. We received water halfway through our meal (only after asking).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved the gardenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/20/2014We had an 11:30 am reservation but when we got there, one of the people in our party did not know that - so just asked for a table for 6. They told us we can only be seated for one hour (next group coming). I went up to host and told him that we did have a reservation but we felt rushed to finish. The host was unfriendly - though someone did mention he apologized for mixup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully Delicious Experience!mhfoodieDined on 7/20/2014I have been to the Magic Flute 3 times and every time we enjoyed ourselves, the warm, attentive staff and Host/Owner (very charming). The food is consistently delicious, visually appealing and something for everyone! The quiche Lorraine is the best I have ever had! The desserts are wonderful! The portions are generous without being too much! The host/owner is always gracious, charming and attentive. We traveled 1.5 hours to dine at Magic Flute because its in a lovely neighborhood that is easy to access in SF and is away from the rat race of downtown. Lovely stores to walk by after a meal. We have had brunch and lunch and enjoyed it tremendously!Special Features:
- Nice outside dining for brunchSFvbVIPDined on 7/6/2014The Magic Flute has great outdoor dining for brunch. I would like to see more variety on their menu for breakfast items... Like scones and fruit pancakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bellinis and BeignetsJuror17Dined on 7/6/2014This was our first time having brunch at this charming restaurant and we understand why it is so highly rated. Service is friendly and impeccable and the food was excellent.The fresh cinnamon sugar beignets served warm with strawberries and cream are not to be missed. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Lovely local diningBroseVIPDined on 7/5/2014I love being able to dine in my neighborhood and dinner is an easy table to snag. Service is attentive and friendly. On a cool summer night I loved the delicious beluga lentil soup to warm me up. The Caesar salad had nice plump anchovies. I enjoyed the lamb chops (a generous portion) and my husband enjoyed the special gnocchi with smoked chicken. There is a nice choice of reasonably priced wine including wine by the glass. We return often and are always happy with our experience which is never pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Service & FoodmmmmfoodVIPDined on 7/4/2014I had 10 family members in town and they wanted me to organize a place for brunch on 4th of July morning and Magic Flute was the perfect spot! Very accommodating for out larger groups, and our server was incredibly attentive and enjoyable! Our group is not an easy one to handle either :) I will definitely be coming back here with friends, as the food was delicious and the outdoor patio is great for the sunny SF days.Special Features:
- magic fluteAnnieVIPDined on 6/29/2014fabulous as always and lovely sitting in the garden on a beautiful day.Special Features:
- PSASFODined on 6/26/2014It had been years since I was at the Magic Flute and had forgotten how wonderful the place is. We sat on the patio for lunch and it was lovely. The food is excellent and such a large menu to choose from. The wine was also wonderful. I will be going back again soon.Special Features:
- AnonymousVIPDined on 6/22/2014I was very excited to go to Magic Flute, it had great reviews and I love brunch! I was pretty disappointed, my food was COLD! Not luke warm, but COLD! I ordered eggs benedict with avocado, and everything from the avocado to the hollandaise, to the english muffin was ice cold, and the egg was pretty cold too! My husband's egg scramble was pretty cold as well! Probably won't be going back, but the patio is very cute!
- Just awfulChristineDined on 6/14/2014The soup was okay. Our server was scatterbrained. The chicken Marsala tasted like it was cooked in a microwave and the mashed potatoes were *gritty*. Not sure how the managed that. The dining room features tattered furniture and we were seated next to an outdoor curtain that was dirty, yellowed with tears repaired using packing tape. The table bread was good.
- Great Patio and BrunchrawjrVIPDined on 6/14/2014This is a great spot in Presidio Heights to sit outside and enjoy a delicious brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Probably Shouldn't Review Them...paperfoxesDined on 6/14/2014This is one of those "secret" places that I don't want a bunch of other people to go to. So I probably shouldn't be writing a review. That being said, I think the restaurant and future diners deserve to know the tasty truth. Due to the location and ambiance, I thought this place was going to cost a fortune. After all, it's across the street from Spruce. However, I ordered a brie, mushroom, bacon scramble for only $12. The coffee was good (I believe it was sourced from a local roaster). They served us bread at the table, and the service was great. We ate on the back patio, which was set up really well for large groups. I'll definitely come back and bring friends.Special Features:
- service not up to parPinettoVIPDined on 6/12/2014I eat here frequently but on this aoccasion the service was less that its' usual level; items asked for not were not deliverede and others requested to be omitted were not. Woud give ths service a poor rating.Special Features:
- A long time neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/10/2014Magic Flute has not disappointed in the nearly four decades that I have patronized this restaurant. The food has been consistently fresh, tasty and prepared to the customer's preference. The service is flawless. The outdoor garden is absolutely enchanting. I highly recommend it for pleasure or business meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great romantic spotSAMODined on 6/8/2014Flatiron Steak was delicious as was the tuna tartare. Our Wine Director was knowledge and friendly. Great romantic date spot, but not great for groups larger than 3.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SFnativeDined on 6/7/2014Always a great place for brunch and dining outside when the weather permits is a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/22/2014Love this restaurant, especially for lunch. One can go, have really wonderful choices for food and actually have a conversation without a lot of noise. One of my favorites for lunches. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Magic FluteParistangoDined on 5/20/2014You can't go wrong for Weekend Brunch with attractive interiors and a nice courtyard patio. Mwnu offers varied choices of quality food at reasonable prices. They have been at this location a long time and you can always count on them .Special Features:
- The following 530 reviews are from the Magic Flute reviews archive.
- It was good, but host was grumpyZofiaDined on 5/18/2014The food was good. We had the homemade sausage sandwich and the sausage was tasty, but nothing to holler about. My companions had the hash benedict and salmon benedict and again it was good, but not the best. Service was spotty. I think the server was new and seemed to be flustered when we asked questions about the menu and drinks. The host was horrible! Grumpy, not very friendly and when asked to call a cab, he said he did but we waited 20 minutes and I had to knock on the door to check whether he called. He didn't have the courtesy of coming out and ensuring we were taken care of... I was a bit upset with myself that I added $25 to the already 20% tip they included on our party of 6. I probably will never returnSpecial Features:
- CCcxDined on 5/17/2014The food was really delicious - lamb chops and pasta. Also had very prompt service. Only disappointment were the wines by the glass. Seemed to be only one offer per varietal...would rather have two choices for pinot etc, but understandable and the bottles were a good selection. Would go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodcynbDined on 5/16/2014Went there for graduation dinner. Food was great and the service/host was exceptional. They really made my family feel special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful mainstayTerryDined on 5/9/2014I've been having lunches with colleagues from USF there for decades. Phil is always the congenial host who remembers you and makes you feel special. It's always bright, friendly, warm, and delicious. Just quiet enough to discuss business, and vibrant enough to return to work energized.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/4/2014Wonderful neighborhood gem, as good as when we lived nearby 25 years ago. Dined here with my newlywed wife in the late eighties/early ninties and returned with my daughter, aged 23 yesterday (5/4/14). Fresh, carefully prepared fare that will satisfy any pallet. Dine inside or out back in the patio, this residential restaurant in the Laurel Heights section of the city is a superb choice for brunch, lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PattiDined on 4/27/2014The only complaint is how noisy the restaurant's main room was. You could hardly hear others across the table.Special Features:
- This was our second time diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/13/2014This was our second time dining at the Magic Flute, and surely will not be our last. The food was good, although the veggie omelet could have used some spicing up. My daughter had the quiche which was fabulous and a generous enough portion for her to take home and have as a second meal, which is always great for a starving college student. The service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There is magic alwaysEvilantieDined on 4/12/2014As always a perfect treat never fails to make everyday a special dinning experienceSpecial Features:
- The Magic FluteshippolyDined on 4/6/2014Our group enjoyed our Sunday morning brunch at the Magic Flute. I was worried that it would be a bit stuffy given the décor, but it was not at all. Its a garden type setting that seems like the Ladies Auxillary of some old school Lodge would frequent, but the wait staff was very friendly and attentive. The food was fine. It was pretty simple fare, but well done. The coffee was excellent!Special Features:
- It's Seen Better DaysLaurelHeightsGirlDined on 3/30/2014The restaurant is very outdated and the decor looks very gaudy, the tea cup that I got was dirty, the champagne flute that I got was chipped, and the waffle that I was served was soggy and much worse than something that I could have prepared at my own home. I won't be back. The only positive was that it was quiet.Special Features:
- DisappointedPS12Dined on 3/26/2014Although I have been enjoying lunches at the Magic Flute, this was my first dinner there. It was difficult for me to find something on the menu that I wanted to eat, and the steak I finally chose was overcooked--in spite of my request for "rare to medium-rare."Special Features:
- Great Sunday Brunch RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/23/2014There is nothing like sitting on the patio at the Magic Flute on a sunny Sunday afternoon enjoying brunch. The patio is beautifully decorated and heat lamps keep you warm when the weather gets cool. We tried the salmon salad and the shrimp Louis and both were great. We also tried the pizza which we liked. We were too full for dessert but the dessert tray had several tempting treats on it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server was very helpful accommodatiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2014Server was very helpful accommodating a vegan in the group by creating a new entree item that wasn't on the menu just for them and by suggesting vegan appetizer optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a party of four seated outdoorOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/22/2014a party of four seated outdoor which we didnt mind since it was actually nice outside and it was a pretty enclosed area. there was a baby shower so the noise level was a bit energetic and felt a bit too crowded. staff kept tinkering with the outdoor umbrella right behind my friend. it became a bit of a problem when they were serving our orders. the beignets were good. overall the food was good but nothing made us go wow this is really good...id come back for this again or id like to try other stuff on the menu.
- Lovely LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/20/2014This was the first time we had gone to the Magic Flute for lunch and it was wonderful. We sat out on the patio which looks like a garden in Italy or France. Beautiful flowers, garden statues and a fountain. I tried the salad special - blackened wild salmon with blood orange, marinated cucumbers, tomatoes and a lemon vinaigrette. It was outstanding. My husband tried the shrimp louis, which he liked very much. The garlic bread was fabulous. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/19/2014We had a great dinner at the Magic Flute. We tried the garlic bread and two salads for appetizers and the salmon and a steak for entrees. Everything was great but the garlic bread was the best we ever tasted. We can't wait to go back. The Magic Flute has an amazing patio for outdoor dining and as it stays light later, it will be an enchanting place to eat dinner outside.Special Features:
- Booked again for next monthOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/17/2014Always a treat! Lunch becomes a special event. Staff always so welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but overpriced.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/9/2014My family and I had Sunday brunch. While the food was good, I thought it was overpriced. Restaurant is a bit "tired" looking. Needs a facelift. Great location.
- Wonderful brunchcftylerVIPDined on 3/9/2014Totally enjoyed everything about Magic Flute. Loved the outdoor patio. The food was delicious--the beignets were particularly wonderful. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.