3673 Sacramento St.
San Francisco, CA 94118Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.magicfluteristorante.com/
- Phone: (415) 922-1225
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: 10:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Magic Flute offers passed hor d'oeurves for 25 to 150 people.
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant is available for buy-outs or there is a beautiful private room for 25 or more.
- Private Party Contact: Phil LaCavera 4159221225
A word from Magic Flute
One of San Francisco’s most romantic restaurants, the Magic Flute, has a new and exciting menu reflecting California-Italian Cuisine. Located in fashionable Presidio Heights, the restaurant with sponge-painted walls and hardwood floors is reminiscent of a family-run trattoria found in a small Tuscan village. Sunlight streams in through large picture windows in the front dining room, and after dark, Florentine wrought-iron chandeliers, imported from Europe, infuse the room with soft light. The equally beautiful rear dining room looks onto a lovely, flower-filled patio with white Italian marble tables and large Italian market umbrellas that make the heated patio the ideal spot for al fresco dining. Phil LaCavera sees to it that service is personal and attentive. The staff also takes great pride in making each party and wedding a memorable occasion. You won’t find a more enchanting ambiance for your special celebration.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Magic Flute - Best Restaurants in Pacific Heights ›
Magic Flute reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (48)great for outdoor dining (39)great for brunch (36)great for lunch (30)special occasion (21)fit for foodies (21)romantic (15)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Hidden Gem in a beautiful neighborhoodGoodTidingDined on 11/15/2014This was one of the few places which could accommodate a huge group for brunch with reservations made just a day in advance. We were pleasantly surprised and glad to have discovered the place. They have outdoor patio seating which looks very quaint and peaceful. The staff were tentative and the food was great. The portion sizes weren't overwhelming big which was a great plus. Definitely try out their "Sweet Tooth" menu especially the French Toast. One of the other favorites on the table was the Smoked Chicken Hash. Would definitely recommend the restaurant! Great Find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gdrestrntluvrDined on 11/15/2014The food and service were very nice, parking was easy and the service was good. My friend's quiche had a crust that was too tough to eat but the filling was excellent. The noise level made it very hard to have a conversation. I do like this small neighborhood restaurant and I would reccomend it and I would go back because I have never had the negative experiences of this one day when I've eaten ther in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurantShellVIPDined on 11/9/2014We had a very pleasant lunch, and had sandwiches and salads. All were well prepared. The wait staff is very attentive, and the neighborhood is quite charming. The restaurant is filled with lovely paintings and other works of art. It is a feast for the eyes and the stomach! We'll will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulKenkenDined on 11/8/2014Wonderful! They never disappoint Food is wonderful, the service terrificSpecial Features:
- Dinner a deuxNativegalVIPDined on 11/7/2014I have eaten several times at Magic Flute, but usually at lunchtime. We had a lovely meal. The clam chowder was especially tasty without the gloppiness you find sometimes. The consistency was more like a bisque and the serving was generous. I also enjoyed the Petrale Sole with capers over a bed of mashed potatoes. My companion also enjoyed the vegan pumpkin soup and caprese salad. Would definitely return and highly recommend for dinner.Special Features:
- Lovely brunchmeganrehmVIPDined on 10/26/2014This location is a bit far away from where we live so we'd never tried it until this weekend and we're so glad we did. We were seated in the patio, which was lovely. The service was excellent and friendly and we both loved our scrambles that came with fruit and potatoes. Delicious - will be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful outdoor dining areaBroseVIPDined on 10/24/2014I enjoy bringing friends here for lunch, especially if we can eat in the outdoors garden in back where umbrellas shade us from the sun, and heat lamps are available to chase away the chill. Service is both professional and friendly. The standard lunch offerings are varied (and tasty) and there are daily specials. The blackened salmon was perfectly cooked (on the rare side, which I like), the grilled stone fruit added a nice sweet counterpoint, and the greens were fresh. Delicious bread and olive oil are always served, and the iced tea is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/21/2014Lunch on the outdoor patio was great. The outdoor patio is a charming spot. Our server was attentive and friendly. The food was good, presentation was good-looking.Special Features:
- Great Place for BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/19/2014The Magic Flute is a wonderful restaurant for lunch. Many nice offerings, both for breakfast and lunch. We tried one of the specials -- Blackened Salmon on arugula -- and it was wonderful. So were the bacon and eggs. Our kids love the pizza. We did not eat outside, but there is a lovely outdoor garden too.Special Features:
- Pretty, good foodDiner14Dined on 10/18/2014This is a really pretty restaurant -- it's girly, very 'ladies who lunch.' Each time I've been there, there has been a baby or wedding shower going on. But the food is great. It's small -- a neighborhood spot. The outside patio is the best spot, so try to get a seat out there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definite Brunch ChoiceGregBVIPDined on 10/5/2014I had passed this restaurant on many occasions on the weekends and the place was always very busy. Finally had a chance to dine on a Sunday and didn't realize the restaurant had such a really big outdoor area which was fantastic. Food was really good and priced right. I have nothing but glowing remarks for this true gem tucked away in the Presidio.Special Features:
- MehBruceVIPDined on 10/3/2014Had high hopes but disappointed, not with the food but with the service. We didn't reserve a table on the back patio, so my wife and I were seated at an inside table that was too large (forget romantic conversation). Waiter seemed nice though he never introduced himself, and once our order was taken was rarely seen. We brought wine (corkage not unreasonable at $20) which doesn't explain why we weren't offered waiter. When a busboy delivered someone else's salad, we asked for and eventually got water along with our correct first course and some very good fresh bread. Entrees were very good, although the 1/2 pound sirloin burger, while sufficient to satisfy was closer to 1/3 pound. Curbside Cafe on California St a better choice imho.
- fashionablefoodie1VIPDined on 9/27/2014lovely neighborhood restaurant with pretty patio. Very nice lunch-relaxing and truly nice environment.Special Features:
- Brunch gemjennifer2345VIPDined on 9/27/2014Went for a friend's birthday -- had a lovely brunch in the garden. The environment was fantastic and the food was delicious. Beautiful weekend party!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very specialDiningoutDined on 9/24/2014I brought two friends to the Magic Flute yesterday for lunch. They were celebrating her birthday as well as their 59th Anniversary. We were seated on the patio. Our lunch was wonderful to say the least....they throughly loved everything about their first experience there and I'm sure they will return. Perfect atmosphere, excellent menu and very nice service. Thank you for such a memorable day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonDonnaVIPDined on 8/16/2014We visited Magic Flute for the first time. It was very nice. The food was delicious and well prepared. The wait staff was professional and courteous. We will try to get back there again soon.Special Features:
- Cute patio for great outdoor diningAstorgassonVIPDined on 8/3/2014My wife, our 2-year old daughter and I recently had brunch at Magic Flute and enjoyed it a lot. The menu is quite complete and the service was really good. But what really makes a difference is the nice little patio on Magic Flute's backyard. Not only is it heated, which is great for not-so-warm San Francisco; it's also well decorated, not too packed and very, very quiet. Really nice. Like I said, we were there for brunch with our daughter and loved it; but I could also see this a great patio to have a special dinner with your significant other. Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noname14Dined on 8/2/2014we were greeted warmly and although we stayed a long time, we were not rushed.Special Features:
- The following 549 reviews are from the Magic Flute reviews archive.
- Great Food & Ambience, Bad ServiceFoodGeekVIPDined on 7/20/2014The neighborhood is very quiet and nice. We requested to sit outside in the patio which was "full" when we arrived. This was fine, the host told us it would be about a 30 minute wait. 10 minutes later he called our name and walked us back to the patio (without ever even looking at us). There was plenty of seating for 2 so I'm not sure where he got the "30 minutes" from. It took about 10 minutes for anyone to acknowledge we were there. A young server (not ours) noticed we had not been served so he took our full order. The food arrived in good time and it was great. We had 3 different servers/bus boys bring us our food. We received water halfway through our meal (only after asking).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved the gardenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/20/2014We had an 11:30 am reservation but when we got there, one of the people in our party did not know that - so just asked for a table for 6. They told us we can only be seated for one hour (next group coming). I went up to host and told him that we did have a reservation but we felt rushed to finish. The host was unfriendly - though someone did mention he apologized for mixup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully Delicious Experience!mhfoodieDined on 7/20/2014I have been to the Magic Flute 3 times and every time we enjoyed ourselves, the warm, attentive staff and Host/Owner (very charming). The food is consistently delicious, visually appealing and something for everyone! The quiche Lorraine is the best I have ever had! The desserts are wonderful! The portions are generous without being too much! The host/owner is always gracious, charming and attentive. We traveled 1.5 hours to dine at Magic Flute because its in a lovely neighborhood that is easy to access in SF and is away from the rat race of downtown. Lovely stores to walk by after a meal. We have had brunch and lunch and enjoyed it tremendously!Special Features:
- Nice outside dining for brunchSFvbVIPDined on 7/6/2014The Magic Flute has great outdoor dining for brunch. I would like to see more variety on their menu for breakfast items... Like scones and fruit pancakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bellinis and BeignetsJuror17VIPDined on 7/6/2014This was our first time having brunch at this charming restaurant and we understand why it is so highly rated. Service is friendly and impeccable and the food was excellent.The fresh cinnamon sugar beignets served warm with strawberries and cream are not to be missed. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Lovely local diningBroseVIPDined on 7/5/2014I love being able to dine in my neighborhood and dinner is an easy table to snag. Service is attentive and friendly. On a cool summer night I loved the delicious beluga lentil soup to warm me up. The Caesar salad had nice plump anchovies. I enjoyed the lamb chops (a generous portion) and my husband enjoyed the special gnocchi with smoked chicken. There is a nice choice of reasonably priced wine including wine by the glass. We return often and are always happy with our experience which is never pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Service & FoodmmmmfoodVIPDined on 7/4/2014I had 10 family members in town and they wanted me to organize a place for brunch on 4th of July morning and Magic Flute was the perfect spot! Very accommodating for out larger groups, and our server was incredibly attentive and enjoyable! Our group is not an easy one to handle either :) I will definitely be coming back here with friends, as the food was delicious and the outdoor patio is great for the sunny SF days.Special Features:
- magic fluteAnnieVIPDined on 6/29/2014fabulous as always and lovely sitting in the garden on a beautiful day.Special Features:
- PSASFODined on 6/26/2014It had been years since I was at the Magic Flute and had forgotten how wonderful the place is. We sat on the patio for lunch and it was lovely. The food is excellent and such a large menu to choose from. The wine was also wonderful. I will be going back again soon.Special Features:
- AnonymousVIPDined on 6/22/2014I was very excited to go to Magic Flute, it had great reviews and I love brunch! I was pretty disappointed, my food was COLD! Not luke warm, but COLD! I ordered eggs benedict with avocado, and everything from the avocado to the hollandaise, to the english muffin was ice cold, and the egg was pretty cold too! My husband's egg scramble was pretty cold as well! Probably won't be going back, but the patio is very cute!
- Just awfulChristineDined on 6/14/2014The soup was okay. Our server was scatterbrained. The chicken Marsala tasted like it was cooked in a microwave and the mashed potatoes were *gritty*. Not sure how the managed that. The dining room features tattered furniture and we were seated next to an outdoor curtain that was dirty, yellowed with tears repaired using packing tape. The table bread was good.
- Great Patio and BrunchrawjrVIPDined on 6/14/2014This is a great spot in Presidio Heights to sit outside and enjoy a delicious brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Probably Shouldn't Review Them...paperfoxesDined on 6/14/2014This is one of those "secret" places that I don't want a bunch of other people to go to. So I probably shouldn't be writing a review. That being said, I think the restaurant and future diners deserve to know the tasty truth. Due to the location and ambiance, I thought this place was going to cost a fortune. After all, it's across the street from Spruce. However, I ordered a brie, mushroom, bacon scramble for only $12. The coffee was good (I believe it was sourced from a local roaster). They served us bread at the table, and the service was great. We ate on the back patio, which was set up really well for large groups. I'll definitely come back and bring friends.Special Features:
- service not up to parPinettoVIPDined on 6/12/2014I eat here frequently but on this aoccasion the service was less that its' usual level; items asked for not were not deliverede and others requested to be omitted were not. Woud give ths service a poor rating.Special Features:
- A long time neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/10/2014Magic Flute has not disappointed in the nearly four decades that I have patronized this restaurant. The food has been consistently fresh, tasty and prepared to the customer's preference. The service is flawless. The outdoor garden is absolutely enchanting. I highly recommend it for pleasure or business meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great romantic spotSAMODined on 6/8/2014Flatiron Steak was delicious as was the tuna tartare. Our Wine Director was knowledge and friendly. Great romantic date spot, but not great for groups larger than 3.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SFnativeDined on 6/7/2014Always a great place for brunch and dining outside when the weather permits is a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/22/2014Love this restaurant, especially for lunch. One can go, have really wonderful choices for food and actually have a conversation without a lot of noise. One of my favorites for lunches. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Magic FluteParistangoDined on 5/20/2014You can't go wrong for Weekend Brunch with attractive interiors and a nice courtyard patio. Mwnu offers varied choices of quality food at reasonable prices. They have been at this location a long time and you can always count on them .Special Features:
- It was good, but host was grumpyZofiaDined on 5/18/2014The food was good. We had the homemade sausage sandwich and the sausage was tasty, but nothing to holler about. My companions had the hash benedict and salmon benedict and again it was good, but not the best. Service was spotty. I think the server was new and seemed to be flustered when we asked questions about the menu and drinks. The host was horrible! Grumpy, not very friendly and when asked to call a cab, he said he did but we waited 20 minutes and I had to knock on the door to check whether he called. He didn't have the courtesy of coming out and ensuring we were taken care of... I was a bit upset with myself that I added $25 to the already 20% tip they included on our party of 6. I probably will never returnSpecial Features:
- CCcxVIPDined on 5/17/2014The food was really delicious - lamb chops and pasta. Also had very prompt service. Only disappointment were the wines by the glass. Seemed to be only one offer per varietal...would rather have two choices for pinot etc, but understandable and the bottles were a good selection. Would go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodcynbDined on 5/16/2014Went there for graduation dinner. Food was great and the service/host was exceptional. They really made my family feel special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.