Maggies at State and A
1201 State St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Maggies at State and A
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.maggiesatstateanda.com/
- Phone: 8057702700
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:30am - 5:00pm
Saturday - Sunday 2:00pm - 5:00pm
Saturday - Sunday 9:00am - 2:00pm
Monday - Saturday; 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Sunday - Saturday; 3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Guillaume
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Elegant private dining room with seating up to 20. The main room features five beautiful chandeliers suspended from decorative dome ceilings. The space has 8 Columns of a fleur de lis design inlayed red, green and honey onyx and absolute black granite. Seating is wonderfully comfortable.
- Private Party Contact: Barry 8057702700
A word from Maggies at State and A
The best location in Santa Barbara-- situated just across from the Granada theater, Santa Barbara Museum of Art, and the historic court house. Maggie's has the largest covered patio on State Street while the elegant inside dining room is decorated by chandeliers, tapestries, inlay stonework and crown moulding.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maggies at State and A reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great experienceJIBeatsDined on 10/8/2013Everything about our dining experience was great at Maggie's. The food was fabulous and the service great as well. I would highly recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the relaxed feelingenjoy2dineDined on 10/6/2013The pasta and meatball dish both my husband & I had reminded us of a romantic night. You could tell the meatballs were very fresh and the service we both received was outstanding. This is our second time back and each time we have eaten here, the service has been awesome. Don't forget to enjoy a homemade dessert, which is off the charts.Special Features:
- Evolving menukatemVIPDined on 10/3/2013I have been here several times since its opening and find I like it more each time I eat there. Love the large entree salad menu and the truffle fries. Desserts are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServicevisitorsfromSeattleDined on 9/13/2013Service was excellent, food was great. We will go there again if we come back to Santa Barbara. Our table was in the dining room, where the atmosphere was quiet. Wonderful romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maggies is more about atmosphererascal9Dined on 9/13/2013Maggies is more about atmosphere than food or service. The outdoor patio is great, though with a lot of street noise. The food is very overpriced for the quality. This is basically an Applebees at a nice location food wise. Getting the attention of our waiter was a bit challenging. I had the pork loin, which was tough and just an overcooked pork chop. My wife had the steak salad which she liked. Better to go with Jane's or Opal if they have room; better food at a cheaper price. My martini was great though!Special Features:
- Great ambiance, great service,MikeandJulieDined on 8/24/2013It is clear that everyone works very hard at this restaurant, and the owners have been successful in making one feel special when dining there.Special Features:
- Maggie's Major in EverythingSeasonedTravelerVIPDined on 8/23/2013Maggie's is an absolute delight. Food is excellent. Service is superb, professional and friendly. Host (Barry ) is charming and attentive to all patrons. Decor is elegant and exquisite. Double-sided long bar provides room for many while splitting any noise between main dining room and covered 'semi-outside' dining room (both absolutely charming). Without doubt, our favorite restaurant in Santa Barbara.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute DelightSeasonedTravelerVIPDined on 8/19/2013Maggie's is an absolute delight. Food is excellent. Service is superb, professional and friendly. Host (Barry ) is charming and attentive to all patrons. Decor is elegant and exquisite. Double-sided long bar provides room for many while splitting any noise between main dining room and covered 'semi-outside' dining room (both absolutely charming). Without doubt, our favorite restaurant in Santa Barbara.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fabulous. The lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/2/2013Absolutely fabulous. The lovely patio is an oasis overlooking State Street and the Museum of Art. What a wonderful menu--marvelous range of delicious options. And the food was spectacular. The steak salad and pork loin were amazing. The service was impeccable. We love this place. It would be the perfect place any time, but we recommend it for pre-theatre dinner for folks heading to the Granada, Arlington--or anywhere. Bravo. Great gift to Santa Barbara.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchfunfoodieVIPDined on 7/28/2013was able to get in around 11:30 on Sunday for brunch with no wait. we quickly learned why--it seemed like they had 1 waitress for the entire restaurant. our food took over 35 minutes to come, we had to repeatedly ask for more coffee and when our waitress did arrive she seemed hungover herself. food was ok but not fabulous. if you are patient enough to dine here, order the potato pancake. at least their bloody mary's were good.Special Features:
- Maggie's A++AcephilliDined on 7/22/2013Our table was reserved thru Open Table. It was dressed and waiting for us when we arrived. There is an open covered patio dining, we were in the French elegant dining room. The restaurant feels upscale in a Santa Barbara kind of way. We had the Duck Ravioli and escargot as our appetizers. Both were wonderful. We had Lobster Ravioli, Filet Minon and Teriyaki Steak. Vegetables were tasty. We WILL drive the 45 minutes from home to dine here again, and sooner the better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Sunday BrunchWendygrDined on 7/21/2013There is both outdoor covered eating, and a more sumptuous indoor decor to Maggie's. For brunch we chose the outdoor venue and it was lovely. In the past and today, our service has been very good and the food is excellent with a great menu from which to choose. We were there early so it wasn't crowded until the very end. We enjoyed our experience. Definitely worth a try. Do make reservations ahead of time on the weekends.Special Features:
- Overpriced and over-saucedSbdinerDined on 7/13/2013Although the service at Maggie's was good, the meal was among the worst I have ever tasted. The sautéed vegetables were over-cooked and drowning in olive oil and pesto. The seafood combination entree was swimming in a tarragon cream sauce, and the risotto cake was ringed with some sort of sweet fruit sauce. Needless to say,much of my entree was uneaten. The tangerine tart was passable. My companion ordered a salmon salad which he characterized as edible,but considerably below that of other salmon salads that we eat frequently inSanta Barbara restaurants. Perhaps the restaurant should have invested less in its faux continental furniture and art and more in hiring culinary talent. However, the tourist trade may keep it in business.
- Birthday GirlBirthdayGirl1Dined on 7/13/2013Excellent!!!!!!! Beautiful!!! Great food and service Thank YouSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!katemVIPDined on 7/6/2013The menu was recently expanded and everything we tried was great. Do not miss the carmelized brussel sprouts--you will never look at brussel sprouts the same way. Loved the many different entree salads and the truffle fries. Our server was friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Oh those meatballs!stewielDined on 7/5/2013We have been big fans of Maggies since it opened, but the last few times we have gone we have been sampling the menu. Friday we had the meatball appetizer (large enough for a dinner portion in our minds) and the brussel sprouts. In fact, that's what my wife had for dinner, and naturally I sampled. The meatballs are pure heven, and the brussel sprouts are a "do not miss" in my humble opinion. Of course, my oxtail is always there, and is a highlight of the menu, but this time I had the filet, and it was tender, and cooked to perfection. Hats offto Barry and Maggie....and of course their wonderful chef. Can't wait to come back. PS The service is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice resturant, but the patio???Jim2Dined on 6/29/2013Had 7 of us for dinner the other night. food very good and service excellent. It was a late dinner and there was live "entertainment" on the patio. first of all, it was too loud. Couldn't have a conversation. Further, the "entertainment" sounded more like a church group trying to sing contemporary. It was not entertaining, it was annoying. Also, there is a bus line that runs on the side street next to the patio and was infrequent but very loud. We would have asked to be moved inside, but with 7 it's hard to do. Nice place, but be forewarned about the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2013The food is absolutely wonderful and the service is exceptional. We keep going back because there are so many choices on the menu we want to try. So far everything has been outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite placeSuzanneAustinDined on 6/21/2013Maggies' on State and Anapamu has become my favorite hang out. The bar is spacious and open to the outdoors, perfect for our climate! Really good food and excellent drinks! The staff really makes you feel welcome and they don't rush you out. Live music and great atmosphere, don't miss Maggie'sSpecial Features:
- Maggies is okayOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/20/2013I wanted to love Maggies after reviewing the menu, but the food fell a little short of expectations. It is on the heavy side, and the atmosphere is pretty formal.Special Features:
- A great deal of effort wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/16/2013A great deal of effort was put into this place to make it look like a classy establishment. We went before a show and was offered both the brunch and lunch menu. There was a complete menu even though it was father's day. The food was good and the ambiance excellent. The menu provided enough of a choice for everyone. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!SbdinerDined on 6/16/2013The menu was extensive and I was torn regarding what to get! However, my choice of poached eggs and crab cakes was a good one and it was delicious! The food took awhile (about 45 minutes) but it was Father's Day / graduation so that was understandable. Maggie's husband greeted us at the door and made us feel very welcome, however our server seemed quite unhappy to be there and came off as rude to my family and I. Also, our drinks (coffee/mimosas) took longer than one would expect (10-15 minutes) and the server checked in with us very few times. Overall I would love to come back for the delicious food but hope that the service greatly improves in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatRestaurantgreatfoodfinderDined on 6/16/2013First time using opentable to make a reservation and will do this from now on - very flawless and efficient. Maggies, on State & A in Santa Barbara, is a fantastic restaurant. We highly recommend it to anyone. We've been there for brunch and dinner with our family. The food is amazing, the service is wonderful, and the ambiance is very classy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedEaterDined on 6/13/2013Totally disappointed. Too many warring flavor profiles in its sauces, overcooked rubbery chicken and overly ambitious dishes tasting like everything but the kitchen sink. Coq au vin was not fork tender, but rubbery with burned, overly reduced sauce. Not good. Entree salad was thrown together a la cheap lunch cafeteria. For the price, expected market fresh greens, with a wow ingredient for texture and taste. Instead, boring, lifeless, over cooked rubber chicken laid atop a too high mound. The staff were nice and accommodating, but we sensed not even they wanted to be there. Sad, considering primo street location. Oh well, we were in the mood to try something new but unfortunately, this didn't satisfy. I would not recommend.... Sorry.
- Salad on the sideCafeVIPDined on 6/13/2013The service is pretty great here so I wonder if they just were to busy to remember but the place wasn't crowded so....when I originally ordered my meal I asked for the salad to come out early and then when I found out they bring bread to the table I asked for it to come with the meal per the menu. I got it before the main course was delivered. I know it may seem small but service is service. This is a great place to eat though and the wait staff is very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will not be coming here againsbwickedDined on 6/6/2013For paying $18 for a burger and and $22 for a top sirloin and shrimp plate, I would expected to be good. I was wrong. My GF top sirloin was really fatty and the shrimp had no flavor. I ordered the BBQ bacon and they. Didn't put no bacon. I had to wait more then five minutes for our waiter to show up and to let him know. Also our wait just came and asked us i f we wanted dessert , when the people sitting next to us their waiter came by with a cart of desserts and asked them if they would like dessert. I think that is cool but we didn't get to experience it. Plus are waiter was never around to see if we were ok. He just hung out outside.
- FunSnoopy1Dined on 6/1/2013Patio nice w games you can play at your table. Appetizer menu is good and tasty. Did not have dinner. Had lunch w son awhile back shrimp salad good but shrimp were over cooked. Located on beautiful State street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Favorite Dining Spot in SBwhocareswhoiamVIPDined on 5/31/2013Love the vibe at Maggies. The ambiance is a combination of elegance and comfort. The staff are polished professionals, these restauranteurs that really know how to create warm hospitality. They totally deliver on service! The menu has a unique variety. This is one reason why we enjoy coming back here - always something new and delicious to try. Lunch menu offers casual sandwiches, salads to full entrees. Today, we opted for a basic lunch - panini's - flavorful. We love the relaxing dining experience on the patio, but the indoor dining room is so beautiful, not a bad seat in the house. Again, every meal we've ever had here has been incredible.
- The servers tried hard butLisaVIPDined on 5/26/2013The servers tried hard but seemed quite confused. The gentleman who brought our food "auctioned off" the plates. In other words, he did not know which meal belonged to which diner. At the end of our meal when our plates were cleared and we were waiting for our check, a server came by with 2 bowls of chowder asking if we were having chowder. We said no and she looked baffled. Isn;t there a system in place?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't know what to expect.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2013After reading reviews on various websites I wasn't sure what to expect at Maggies. We started with a drink at the bar. Nick the bartender was very friendly & efficient and made a mean lemon drop and gin martini. I do have to say some of the decor is not to my taste, such as the tapestries on the wall, but it didn't ruin our dining experience. My husband started with a vegetarian mushroom dish that he said was delicious. He had the coq au vin and I had the pork loin for our main courses. They were both really tasty. Our waiter, Jeff, did a wonderful job and had excellent recommendations. Will, who assisted the bar tender and our waiter also did a great job. After this experience we will be back.Special Features:
- We were treated very nicely...seateshirleyDined on 5/12/2013We were treated very nicely...seated immediately (on Mother's Day). The owner, Mr. Maggie, came up to our table and schmuzed with us a bit. Our waiter was delightful and with good suggestions. Our egg dishes were all incredible,,,,as were the breads. My daughter's Italian panini was a bit strong in taste but her ceasar salad was excelllent. It was an A+ experience while being reasonabley priced and I, as the mother, was had a wonderful brunch experience!Special Features:
- Mothers Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013French toast is very well done, and the savory chicken crepes were outstanding, perfect touch of tarragon. Excellent cappuccino, just request it with less milk than normal and it's a robust coffee.Special Features:
- Service nightmareOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2013This was supposed to me a "French restaurant" in Santa Barbara. It turned out to be a really poor experience in overpriced standardized food and really bad service. We will not be going back EVER and will make sure to tell everyone we know about the poor experience as well.
- We are NEVER disappointedlyndyDined on 5/4/2013We are NEVER disappointed when dining at Maggie's. Menu and Wine outstanding; presentation excellent as is service. Ambiance is not matched anywhere in downtown Santa Barbara. Parking easily available; restaurant convenient to all downtown venues such as Granada Theatre; Arlington Theater; Museums. Owners are charming and gracious to all guests as are every staff member.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectPhenomenalVIPDined on 5/4/2013Maggie's is our favorite restaurant when visiting Santa Barbara. Whether it is just the two of us or a party of ten the service is excellent. Every item on the menu is delicious , I have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Gift to Santa Barbara!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/3/2013What a gift to Santa Barbara is the marvelous transformation of the former dreary State & A into a beautiful beckoning destination. The food was terrific--artfully presented and perfectly prepared. Geat menu. We will return again and again. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barry was very accommodatingSBLOCALDined on 4/25/2013Barry was very accommodating and friendly The décor is beautiful! We were very impressed with the restaurant, menu and service!Special Features:
- A wonderful time was had byWookiesMomVIPDined on 4/15/2013A wonderful time was had by the three of us for a birthday celebration. We will come again and often.Special Features:
- Service was slow. Not attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/13/2013Service was slow. Not attentive at all to us. Left our appetizer plate on the table for the entire meal, never check on us after our food arrived and on top of that portions are way too small for price. Won't go back
- Had heard this was a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/12/2013Had heard this was a great find and was happily surprised at how wonderful it is !! Probably the best food in Santa Barbara without a doubt !! The chef is amazing and does a spectacular job. BravoSpecial Features: