1001 Westside Road
Healdsburg, CA 95448Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.madronamanor.com/
- Phone: (707) 433-4231
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jesse Mallgren
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Madrona Manor can accomodate groups up to 80 in one of our 5 private dining rooms.
- Private Party Contact: Arielle Larson 7074331542x111
A word from Madrona Manor
One mile from downtown Healdsburg, this Michelin one star restaurant is on a Victorian estate at the heart of Sonoma’s wine country. Chef Jesse Mallgren takes full advantage of a wealth of local seasonal produce, whenever possible from our estate gardens. Compose your own 6 course tasting menu or, at the whim of the chef, choose the Grande Dame pre-fixe menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Madrona Manor - Best Restaurants in Healdsburg ›
Madrona Manor reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (44)fit for foodies (42)romantic (37)notable wine list (26)scenic view (14)great for outdoor dining (13)neighborhood gem (7)good for groups (6)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Perfect food, perfect vibe, an absolute pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/9/2014I dined at a 3-Star Michelin restaurant a couple of months back (In NYC...upper-east side) and it was a solid dining experience. This place edged it out. Food-wise, expect the unexpected and creative, but nothing over-the-top or intimidating. Certainly, the chef pushes boundaries of what most people are used to, but he gives recommendations on how to approach each course, so you aren't guessing on how to make every bite count. When it comes to flavors, I tasted food in my brain...as in, he was hitting taste buds I didn't know I had and simultaneously exercising pleasure centers in my brain! (yeah, I said it.) Unreal. In addition to the incredible food, the staff was professional, technical, and, somehow, still remained warm and personable. You can tell they really are passionate about food and your dining experience. Somehow, they balanced professionalism with wine-country relaxation, as well as the chef balanced sweet and savory. I don't shy away from ultra-formal, but this meal was enhanced by the comfort of the surroundings and the people serving you. The chef came to our table to check on us, which is always appreciated. I probably would have tracked him down anyway, but he saved me a trip. ;) I realize this review is a bit dramatic, but check out my other reviews and you'll see that I don't get worked up too often. My guess is that this place will be adding Mish-stars over the years. If I was to knock anything, just to be a little more credible in my review, I'd suggest they find a way to add a little more room between tables. Some tables seemed a bit tight in the corners and I smelled other people's cheese on two occasions (although I never felt cramped in any way, a touch more space between tables would be an improvement). To wrap it up: I'm framing the tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service & ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/8/2014Be prepared to enjoy a 3+ hr. event when you dine at Madrona Manor. The food is exquisite, as well as the service. The manor is very lovely, and the atmosphere and decor invite you to step out of time for a bit. We celebrated a "big" birthday there recently, and it was luxurious, delicious, elegant without being snooty, and made a forever memory. And, best thing, you really do lose track of time as you are treated to round after round of fabulous and unique food items.Special Features:
- Wow!SamolocalVIPDined on 10/30/2014Fine dining lives here. Choice of two fascinating prix fixe menus, reasonably priced, professional service, nice wine list. We were surprised at just how good this place was on all counts. The French Laundry at a fraction of the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantastickikosrunerVIPDined on 10/24/2014My husband and dear friends celebrated my 50th birthday last week at this wonderful restaurant. We did the Grand Dame, and had a wonderful experience. Even our French friend, had never experienced anything like the meal we had. The tastes, the amuse-bouche's the courses were outstanding. It was amazing how so much taste could be packed into the smallest of tomatoes and lightest Nitro Caprese; the parings were wonderful as well. It was better than we could have imagined.Special Features:
- BrilliantfoodartDined on 10/24/2014We had a brilliant dinner at Madrona Manor recently. The cooking was very inventive, numerous small amusee tastes also. Great attention to detail. A lot of chemistry and also perfect blending of flavors. I've been to many three star restaurants in Paris and this was more inventive than most and as delicious as all. We were all happy that we took the tasting menu that left all up to the chef and we didn't have to decide a thing. We had gone up for wine tasting in the Russian River so we knew what we wanted to drink and did not do the food and wine pairing, which I expect would have been a great treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal Cuisine 2 Michelin StarsCulturedGrapeDined on 10/23/2014It was a culinary art dinner worthy of my son's 45th Birthday celebration! We enjoyed seriously clever presentations of outstanding flavor, texture, aromatic and well balanced small dishes. It's so hard to pick favorites but I can say the smoky cream in the egg shell, Scallop Crudo, Nitro Caprese just made us want more of each one. The duck was orchestrated into a lovely flower and divinely accompanied with an exquisite sauce. We agreed that everything we had was well thought out from the tiny spoon preliminary introductions that wet the appetite to each main dish that more than justified our enthusiastic anticipation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Surprise !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Dinning at Madrona Manor was a WONDERFUL SURPRISE. Our servers were top notch ! The ambiance spectacular & The food, FANTASTIC! I hesitated giving a five star only because we expected to order from a regular menu. We brought friends there and raved about the last time we were there and how great the lamb was, only to find there were 2 fixed menus. It was an awkward moment, but since we hadn't done such an elaborate thing in years, we all decided to do the right side fixed menu for $160.00 p/person. There was one surprise after another and we were delighted. Great job. But, I have to also add that it would be nice to choose from a REGULAR MENU. Thank you for making this experience memorable in SO MANY ways! Bravo !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dining experienceDJK1VIPDined on 10/19/2014Great tasting menu selections and the chef's between course additions were a tasty foreshadowing of the next course to come for your specific tasting, presented in an inventive and whimsical fashion. An expensive meal with the wine paring, but definitely worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Astonishingly GoodLomfamilyDined on 10/15/2014One of the top 5 restaurants we have ever been to--and we have traveled and eaten well all our lives (and are now retired). Amazingly creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WhoaYoungatheartDined on 10/4/2014Every dish thoughtfully prepared and presented. Impeccable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Madrona is MagnificentfoodlvrVIPDined on 10/3/2014A very special experience we will not soon forget. Staff was very attentive and food was outstanding, so many flavors to taste in each bite. The creativity was best I've experienced. Will go back again and recommend to friends! The setting takes you back to early days of elegance and fine taste. What a beautiful location.Special Features:
- Terrific Food, AmbiancetravlescottDined on 10/3/2014I could have titled this reivew 'almost great' but I want to be more positive than negative. The food and ambiance were amazing. The only problem was the pacing on the second half of the meal, it really began to drag between courses. We chose the 10 course chef's tasting menu which is a similar experience to French Laundry. We sat outdoors on the porch and the weather and surroundings could not have been better, so we will definatlely return. Recommended for a very special dinner with your partner, or taking guests out for an unforgettable evening.Special Features:
- unique experienceMollyDined on 9/28/2014A great restaurant for a very special occasion. Definitely not your usual high end restaurant. Price fixed,multicourse meal with impecable service. Food choices are very limited and the price is very high, but the quality of the food cannot be topped. It's the kind of restaurant you'll probably only try once, but remember fondly for a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening's entertainmentFoodaholicDined on 9/27/2014Seated on the veranda of a 19th century mansion on a hill diners are treated to a food extravaganza. We chose the smaller menu consisting of six courses interspersed with at least ten amuse bouches, each a quarter mouthful of subtle flavor and texture. The service was perfectly paced throughout the three hour extravaganza. The total bill for four was $731, including gratuity, three cocktails and 3 glasses of an excellent Oregon pinot noir and one serving of Wagyu beef - well worth the $40 supplement. This would be a high price for an ordinary meal but it is a bargain for an evening's entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I never make posts but...Novahoops0304Dined on 9/25/2014This is a special place. I rarely write reviews but I felt inclined to share the experience we had last week. A truly memorable night, great food with unique presentation. The staff was amazing and made the extra effort to ensure our entire meal was up to expectations. If your in the greater Sonoma area and are not afraid to pay up to dine with true elegance and care take the time to make a reservation here. A top 5 restaurant experience that would rival only Blue Hill Stone Barns (Westchester County, NY), Il Mulino (NY, NY), Homestead (Greenwich, CT), Beach Bistro (Long Boatkey, FL)Special Features:
- notformeDined on 9/21/2014The Manor was a nice place to visit, however once in the dining room we found that there were too many servers around. Not comfortable when dining as they seem to keep walking around and crowd you when serving. It is truly a foodies dining pleasure, did not expect molecular dining. I would rate it good but not at all over the top as is presently rated.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014Two people for dinner with a wine pairing. Our bill was $597.54. After the bill came and I started to figure in the tip, we were informed that it already included the tip. The service WAS stellar. The food was good. However, unless you are a hardcore foodie... The food portions were simply tiny. One amuse-bouche was so small it was literally a couple centimeters across. The meal was served in six courses with multiple amuse-bouche's in between. Yet, there was nothing that I ate that I will remember as being remarkable. Now mind you I AM a foodie, and a chef. My husband is more a meat and potatoes man and left the restaurant hungry, (I'm not kidding) as the portions were so small. The seating was awful, we were shoved in a corner.Special Features:
- Simply amazing!!meaninaDined on 9/14/2014The view from the front porch was amazing, the garden was beautiful, and the building itself was historical. The food made you want to cry and the pairing was one if the best pairing I've experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in the areaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014This place is really special. Once a year is a good way to think about this incredible experience.... Amazing service and food. Each dish is a delicacy with no flaws.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceAngelaVIPDined on 9/6/2014The tasting menu was perfect, the wines excellent. We had a mostly fabulous experience. My husband would have preferred fewer small dishes and a few larger portions.Special Features:
- DelightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2014The tasting menu was a great foodie experience for my husband and I on our first anniversary. We ate at The French Laundry on our honeymooon last year, and I would definitely put Madrona Manor in the same league as FL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine food in a romantic dettingYacht41VIPDined on 8/28/2014The 13 course chef tasting menu is not to be missed! Food and service exceeded expectations. Save this for a very special occasion. Expensive, but worth it.Special Features:
- A treat for a friendMaralynDined on 8/28/2014This is about the 7th time I have taken someone to or enjoyed dining with family. It NEVER fails to be sensational.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and full of suprisesCalNAiryDined on 8/24/2014The ten course dinner is an expensive delight, but worth every penny. The chef kept surprising us with little extras and the staff was knowledgable and fun. Easily comparable to the best of international dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High styleTastyTexansDined on 8/14/2014Many courses, each more inventive and delicious than the last. Highly professional service. Reminds me of a meal at Tregabuches in Ronda.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!ManhattanVIPDined on 8/8/2014Amazing food as it's been for so many years and the service is outstanding. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again a memorable mealcyssfDined on 8/8/2014Always beautiful sitting on the porch over looking the gardens. Between the overhead fans and the heaters, the temperature is alway comfortable no matter what the weather. We chose the "create your own menu" dinner with the six courses plus at least five other amuse bouches and other treats sent out by the chefs - all interesting and creative. We had to had the ice cream made at the table side with liquid nitrogen again since we enjoyed it so much the last time we were here, but Tom's "strawberries and peas" was so fun with the white chocolate "peas" and the sugar confection "pea pods". I usually don't like strawberry flavored things like ice cream but the strawberry mousse in this dessert was wonderful - the essence of strawberry.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014Food, Service, ambience was amazing! Family loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 799 reviews are from the Madrona Manor reviews archive.
- Outstanding as alwaysMichaelWDined on 7/24/2014Every time we have dinner at Madrona Manor we think, it can't get any better than this. But it always does. The fine folks at Madrona Manor have found a way to continuously improve on perfection. For special occasions, they will even personalize your menu page so you have a memento to take home.Special Features:
- BarbSDined on 7/19/2014Every item brought to your table is a masterpiece. The food is exquisite, the presentation is beautiful, and the service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MadronnaAuntieDined on 7/18/2014Excellent presentations of each dish, a visual & culinary delight. The service was wonderful and made us feel very special!Special Features:
- Greatest Gastromic Experience !JeffDined on 7/17/2014It was one super course after another, the presentaion was only toped by the tastes. Service was top notch. nothing overlooked . Expensive but worth every penny.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/11/2014Food is amazing and very creative. Beautiful, peaceful setting.Special Features:
- 10-course dinner and wine pairingsalbion49Dined on 7/10/2014The food dishes were superb with many interesting intermezzos. The wine pairings were disappointing. Most of the wines would not rate above 86 or 87 on the Wine Spectator scale. I'd recommend selecting wine from the wine list and not relying on the sommelier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perhaps our best meal everAnitaMWVIPDined on 7/9/2014We can't remember when we have enjoyed a meal more than our Grande Dame" chef's 10-course tasting menu. Every dish was perfectly prepared, both in the balance and freshness of the flavors and the appearance. But unlike other tasting menus, the flavors were the stars of each dish (as opposed to sensationalized appearance). And the numerous gifts from the chef in between each course were wonderful, and gave us different tastes and novel preparations as well as previews of the next dish, but in a different form or format. And when we got to the final "meat" courses (squab and beef) instead of portions too big to finish, these were perfectly sized and prepared bites. The wine pairing was perfect too. We absolutely recommend this splurge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely stellarOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/5/2014The amuse-bouches are excellent, the Chef's menu with the wine pairing was impressive. Except for the abalone, which was less than perfect every item on the menu was delicious. Madrona Manor continues to be an excellent spot for romantic dining and pure culinary pleasure. They certainly deserve their Michelin stars.Special Features:
- JoanVIPDined on 7/5/2014This was our second time at Madrona Manor. We brought our daughter who was home from graduate school in NYC and who frequents fine dining in that city as well as San Francisco. We were ALL so pleased and delighted with every aspect of our dining experience at Madrona Manor. The food was outstanding in it's subtlety and interesting/often surprising flavors. The presentations were just beautiful - mirroring the beautiful surroundings on which the Manor resides. The service was absolutely wonderful - on top of everything, and warm and friendly. We were further taken by the integrity of the restaurants staff in catching a mistake we made with gratuity which could have easily been overlooked to their advantage. An absolute favorite.Special Features:
- Romantic GetawayTukiaDined on 7/3/2014The food was creatively light and natural, with some of the ingredients used grown from their own herbs garden located behind the Manor. The cheese choices were beautifully presented and accompanied by dates, nuts and dries fruits. It's great wine list showcased revered local producers that heighten the dining experience. We really enjoyed ourselves and felt that we had discovered a gem in the middle of a valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Madrono Manor HealdsburgOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/27/2014We celebrated our 40th anniversary here and was from start to finish a wonderful experience. We were seated on their outdoor patio, very relaxing atmosphere, service was impeccable, the food amazing. We chose to go with the 6 course menu so we would have more variety and taste from each other's plate. I believe we had at least 8-10 amuse bouches and even though small bites it still adds up and was just about the perfect amount for me. Courses and amuse bouches were presented in an innovative way and there was not 1 dish we did not like. Special touch was that on the top of the menu it had a "Happy 40th anniversay", nice touch. We will definitely return here one daySpecial Features:
- FudsnobDined on 6/27/2014Wonderful flavor and creativity in every course. The service was excellent, and presentation first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.