445 Main Street
Highlands, NC 28741Neighborhood:
Highlands / Sapphire
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.madisonscuisine.com/
- Phone: (828) 787-2525
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Daily: 7:00 am - 10:00 am; Lunch Daily: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm; Dinner Daily: 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Johannes Klapdohr
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Overseeing the culinary program at Madison’s Restaurant and Wine Garden, as well as the Rooftop Terrace, Spa Cafe, Pool Cabana and catering, is executive Chef Johannes Klapdohr. Klapdohr says, “The constant research of selecting the finest products in the region, as well as globally, has become my ultimate passion. To nurture, develop and create sustainable, healthy cuisine that is uncompromised and environmentally responsible continues to be the essence of my culinary philosophy."
- Private Party Facilities: The Wine Room is the perfect place for a special dinner for 8 to 12 guests. The Wine Room is our actual wine cellar and has an old world charm where you will dine by candlelight in this elegant venue surrounded by some of the world’s best vintages. The Wine Room is a special experience and comes with a handcrafted menu prepared especially for you by our Chef. We offer the chance to design your own perfect culinary experience with our chef. This Wine Room creates the perfect opportunity to share an evening with friends and family that you will remember forever. For reservations please contact us.
- Private Party Contact: Group Sales 8287872525
- Entertainment: Live music in the Hummingbird Lounge on Friday and Saturday evenings from 6 pm to 10 pm.
- Special Events: Escape to the Four-Season mountain town of Highlands nestled in the Western North Carolina Mountains for enchanting destination weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, family events, corporate events or any special occasion. With multiple event venues, the Old Edwards full-service professional event staff will help ensure a smooth, flowing, fairytale event. You’ll just feel the memories being made, as you, your family and your friends join together in authentic surroundings where magical moments emerge from every experience. The Wine Room is the perfect place for a special dinner for 8 to 12 guests. The Wine Room is our actual wine cellar and has an old world charm where you will dine by candlelight in this elegant venue surrounded by some of the world’s best vintages. This Wine Room creates the perfect opportunity to share an evening with friends and family that you will remember forever.
A word from Madison's
Recently awarded the AAA Four-Diamond Award, Madison’s Restaurant and Wine Garden at the Old Edwards Inn and Spa helps define the dining scene in downtown Highlands. The talented culinary team hand crafts each dish with farm-to-table, sustainable ingredients to bring out the most abundant flavors nature has to offer. A Wine Spectator award-winning restaurant for the past five years with “Best of“ awards for the past two, Madison's wine list features an expansive selection from an extensive wine cellar. Madison’s sommelier—or “Wine Navigator” as he introduces himself—helps with selections. The Private Wine Cellar offers an intimate dining setting for up to 12 guests. Madison’s Restaurant and Wine Garden is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. Reservations are suggested for lunch and dinner. The Wine Garden is open in the warmer months. All major credit cards are accepted.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Madison's - Best Restaurants in Highlands / Sapphire ›
Madison's reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (76)romantic (64)fit for foodies (52)notable wine list (46)great for lunch (24)great for outdoor dining (21)neighborhood gem (17)scenic view (16)great for brunch (15)good for groups (10)hot spot (9)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great!RevstjVIPDined on 11/26/2014Consistently outstanding. Our server was extremely attentive and exuded warmth and friendliness. I had the liver which is always superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as always!KAtlantaVIPDined on 11/25/2014We frequent Madison's since we live in Highlands. It was a perfect lunch, with delicious food and wine, and Laurel did a great job serving us! I had the local garden salad with the chicken salad and my husband had the burger (cooked to perfection!). It is a relaxing and enjoyable atmosphere. You must give it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Madison's Was AwesomeTablefor3Dined on 11/22/2014Another Highlands gem that came highly recommended and delivered and more. Great romantic setting with rose petals for our Anniversary. Great service (even a bonus visit by a Nole hospitality student who just graduated). Overall fabulous meal from starters to entrees (loved the trout and the meatloaf) and finished with a new cookie dough desert that was fabulous. Well done Madison'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Among the best restaurant meals ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014Highlands, NC is not easy to get to but Madison's is worth the trip. We would love to start and the top of the menu and work our way all the way to the bottom. Best food we've had since France.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful placeGregDined on 11/20/2014From start to finish, this place is the real deal. My wife's birthday dinner.... Rose petals on the table upon arrival. Superior service. A wine "navigator" to steer you through the "Wine Spectator" award winning wine list. The food is prepared perfectly and timed correctly. Each course of the 3 we had was a thrill for the senses. If we lived in the Highlands, this would be a routine stop for us. A super experience that will not be forgotten. Thank you for making her birthday so special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional service, food, and wine.intrigueDined on 11/15/2014I've been all over the world to some of the best restaurants and Madison's is definitely in the "world class " category. Robert greeting at the door, Curt the wine navigator, Rebecca our server and the beautiful food and presentation will keep me coming back. Thank you for a wonderful evening. j southSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014An AMAZING experience! The food, atmosphere, and service was spectacular. I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing outstandingBBCJDined on 11/9/2014My Halibut was rather bland: the cream of mushroom soup was not creamy. The side of fingerling potatoes were not done. The best thing was the salad and the toffee bread pudding dessert.
- Very rude maitre dFlyer7717Dined on 11/8/2014I was not at all impressed with my dining experience. The maitre d was rude and arrogant. We ordered wine from him and we never got any wine. He was just nit a nice person and in fact it felt like he looked down upon us.Special Features:
- Grace and Easy StyleMinkieDined on 11/5/2014Madison's has a grace and easy style that tells you it doesn't have to try too hard. It knows how to present perfection. The menu is varied and excellent. Presentation was beautiful and the service was outstanding....attentive but not intrusive. The wine selections paired well with the menu offerings. It was the highlight meal of our couple of days in Highlands. It would be the ideal special occasion destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely wonderful!vanityfair79Dined on 11/3/2014the attention to detail is just lovely! would refer to anyone for any occasion!Special Features:
- Madison's at the old Edwards innOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014The old Edwards inn is cleanly worth the trip. The service is impeccable. Lunch ends at 2 pm, and we arrived just a few minutes before 2. Others came behind us. I really thought it was great they kept the kitchen open and there was no rush. The food is just average. We had the charcuterie plate which I would skip next time, a Caesar salad that my bf loved and the fish and chips and shrimp and grits. The best item was the fish ( the chips were average). Sitting by the window is great for people watching. Overall the experience was great. I just think the food could be improved.
- Too Cold on a Snowy DayLuvGoodFoodVIPDined on 11/1/2014I was seated for lunch in a small alcove of Madison's that overlooked the outdoor water scape. It was a very cold and windy day and it had lightly snowed that morning. The server took my winter parka when I first entered the restaurant and unfortunately I was not wearing a sweater or vest. The alcove seemed to not have any central heat. There was one tiny space heater, the size of a notebook, on the floor between the two rows of tables. I was seated next to the window, which was double paned, but the wind got through the window and made me uncomfortably cold. The butternut squash soup appetizer was excellent but mountain trout sandwich was only mediocre. Management should only have seated people in the main dining area.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant; good food.GarmeatsDined on 10/31/2014This was a great restaurant. The particular entree one of us had was not the best but it was still good. Things were a little pricey, but we expected that. Great atmosphere, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute reservationmaffy74Dined on 10/30/2014We were visiting Highlands, arrived at lunch time. Madison's is located in a fine old hotel and the ambiance was excellent. Everyone in the hotel, including those outside of the restaurant were friendly and welcoming. Our waiter was attentive. We ordered the trout dip as a starter. This was excellent and plenty for two people. The only complaint I have is that the entrée was ready to be served before we had a chance to eat our starter. I usually ask for my entrée to be started after finishing the starter but failed to do it this time. We both chose the fish and chips. Fish was overcooked and dry. Maybe because they had to keep it warm before we were ready. We did not have dessert or wine. Coffee was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlacegoponiesDined on 10/28/2014Food was good. Presentation was thoughtful and nice. Proportions were plenty. Our waiter was quite nice, but along toward the end, he must have been distracted. We waited longer than I would have expected for our check. My spare rib was nicely done and tasty. My wife's steak was cooked to perfection, according to her. She loved having dinner at Madison's. And, the Decero Malbec wine I had was very tasty, nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but definitely overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014I read all the positive reviews before we went. I'm not sure if they can charge what they do if they're in larger cities like Atlanta. They had good food but nothing great. The river was so fatty, only 3-40% of it was edible. Also, please update your online menu. I made the reservation based on what's on their website and of course, when we got there we were given another menu and was told what we asked for wasn't available. The waiter was not attentive. He disappeared for a while so we had to ask another one to get our check.
- persnickityPERSNICKITYDined on 10/22/2014Restaurant has very nice setting and delivers on its intentions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014We had a great meal at Madison's. The food was great. The wait staff was very helpful and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detailluvgoodfoodDined on 10/19/2014Madison's is a superb restaurant. We visited during peak season and were impressed with every detail. The staff is impeccably trained and focused on customer service. You can't go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highlands FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014Old Edwards offers two fabulous dining venues -Madison ' s indoors and The Wine Garden built around a waterfall outdoors. Both are fabulous, the food is farm to table fresh and the chef is creative. Don't miss it for lunch or dinner. Lunch is relatively inexpensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!FoodieGirlDined on 10/19/2014I eat here several times a year as I venture out on day trips to see the leaves, mountains, enjoy the day and am always satisfied with this wonderful restaurant, the food, the service, everything. Very relaxing and just love it.Special Features:
- Great placeBirthdayDined on 10/7/2014Madisons has been a destination resturant for us for several years since our first visit. Service outstanding, food wonderful wine list expansive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceLuv2skiDined on 10/6/2014We went Madison's for our anniversary. They made us feel so special with rose pedals on our table. The service was impeccable. Our server was Robert. The food was presented beautifully and so fresh and good. I would definitely dine here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerwinetimeDined on 10/5/2014Absolutely wonderful, the food, the service the attention to detail are beyond reproach. Just a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RickRickDined on 10/5/2014One of our best meals ever! Do not miss this restaurant for a wonderful dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiefromGADined on 10/4/2014All excellent, as usual, although was a little surprised at lack of German beer offerrings during advertised October Fest celebration. Very yummy bratwurst though!!Special Features:
- love2eatoutsidelove2eatoutsideDined on 10/2/2014My sister and I had the most delightful dinner this past Thursday night. The flavors of the quail appetizer with grilled peaches was so delicious we slowly savored every bite. The trout, which we ordered the two variations of, was perfectly cooked and served with the vegetables in a small dutch oven. Delicious! The Summer Breeze cocktails and wines we ordered completed a perfect meal. We had the most delightful waitress. She brought us a small taste of St. Germaine liquor that made the cocktail so incredible. Such an enjoyable evening. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedFoodieDined on 9/28/2014The food was horrible and way overpriced. The server lacked a knowledge of the menu and we had to ask for refills on our drinks and it still never happened. The only reason I could see anyone would like this food is they are rich drunk people trying to be rive' gauche. Our table was freezing and my 85 yr old mother asked to be moved. The blonde rude hostess asked us to walk all the way back up front so she could move a few place settings to another table. We ate here years ago and it was wonderful.
- LeahDined on 9/26/2014We were extremely disappointed with the service. Our waiter was not attentive and not interested. I had asked for a specific table at reservation and the request was not honored.Special Features:
- ExcellentbibbybDined on 9/25/2014Excellent in all respects. Menu, service, and ambiance all the best. We go to Highlands as often as we can. This is high on our list of restaurants to visit again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is slippingSouthernBeeDined on 9/25/2014Having eaten here many times, we came away disappointed with the menu options and with the dishes we chose. We'd brought first-time visitors and felt compelled to apologize for the mediocre presentation and worst taste. Service was still SUPERB but delivery from the kitchen was slow. With the competition in town, they've got to rethink the menu and not rest on their stellar past reputation. We won't return until we hear it's irresistible and worth the cost.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014We always enjoy having lunch at Madison's. Comfortable. Table by the window. Excellent service & friendly staff. Delicious food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereDiner01Dined on 9/15/2014Madison's is a wonderful restaurant in the middle of Highlands, NC. The food and service were exceptional and the atmosphere is quiet and soothing. Highly recommend as a don't miss if in the area of Cashiers and Highlands, NC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingNiceGuyDined on 9/12/2014Although the service was superb and the food good, the noise level and the extremely warm temperature were disappointing. Great for a group...for a couple, not so much.Special Features:
- DisappointingCudaShudaBeenFunDined on 9/11/2014In summary, the food was mediocre. Duck was very good. Meat loaf on a par with a college cafeteria, lukewarm and mushy. Vegetables presented in unappealing manner and tasteless. We had the feeling that the staff and management were relying on the setting to carry the day. Alas, we were there to experience a good meal. It didn't work for us.
- Absolutely Fabulous!CMMMDined on 9/7/2014Had a wonderful dinner at Madison's. The services is excellent and the food was amazing. Looking forward to my next visit to OEI!Special Features:
- Great experiencejohnDined on 9/7/2014Located in the Old Edwards Inn, Highlands NC, Madison's is a convenient venue when staying at the Inn. Diverse menu, expertly prepared with top rated service. Upper end pricing, but reasonable for a 5 star resort. If you like friendly service and plenty of it from a very diverse team of specialists you will enjoy Madison's. We did very much. They also offer a more relaxed experience in the Wine Garden just outside Madison's offering many of the same menu items al fresco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2014Food, service, plenty of menu choices, spotless, all excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special eveningfit4aqueenDined on 9/4/2014We loved the elegant feel of this place – like a dining room in a European inn. I definitely will return to try more of the delicious food. It was our 43rd wedding anniversary and a table adorned with red rose petals awaited us. Our server was professional and congenial.Special Features: