445 Main Street
Highlands, NC 28741Neighborhood:
Highlands / Sapphire
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.madisonscuisine.com/
- Phone: 8287872525
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Daily: 7:00 am - 10:00 am; Lunch Daily: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm; Dinner Daily: 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Johannes Klapdohr
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Overseeing the culinary program at Madison’s Restaurant and Wine Garden, as well as the Rooftop Terrace, Spa Cafe, Pool Cabana and catering, is executive Chef Johannes Klapdohr. Klapdohr says, “The constant research of selecting the finest products in the region, as well as globally, has become my ultimate passion. To nurture, develop and create sustainable, healthy cuisine that is uncompromised and environmentally responsible continues to be the essence of my culinary philosophy."
- Private Party Facilities: The Wine Room is the perfect place for a special dinner for 8 to 12 guests. The Wine Room is our actual wine cellar and has an old world charm where you will dine by candlelight in this elegant venue surrounded by some of the world’s best vintages. The Wine Room is a special experience and comes with a handcrafted menu prepared especially for you by our Chef. We offer the chance to design your own perfect culinary experience with our chef. This Wine Room creates the perfect opportunity to share an evening with friends and family that you will remember forever. For reservations please contact us.
- Private Party Contact: Group Sales 8287872525
- Entertainment: Live music in the Hummingbird Lounge on Friday and Saturday evenings from 6 pm to 10 pm.
- Special Events: Escape to the Four-Season mountain town of Highlands nestled in the Western North Carolina Mountains for enchanting destination weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, family events, corporate events or any special occasion. With multiple event venues, the Old Edwards full-service professional event staff will help ensure a smooth, flowing, fairytale event. You’ll just feel the memories being made, as you, your family and your friends join together in authentic surroundings where magical moments emerge from every experience. The Wine Room is the perfect place for a special dinner for 8 to 12 guests. The Wine Room is our actual wine cellar and has an old world charm where you will dine by candlelight in this elegant venue surrounded by some of the world’s best vintages. This Wine Room creates the perfect opportunity to share an evening with friends and family that you will remember forever.
A word from Madison's
Recently awarded the AAA Four-Diamond Award, Madison’s Restaurant and Wine Garden at the Old Edwards Inn and Spa helps define the dining scene in downtown Highlands. The talented culinary team hand crafts each dish with farm-to-table, sustainable ingredients to bring out the most abundant flavors nature has to offer. A Wine Spectator award-winning restaurant for the past five years with “Best of“ awards for the past two, Madison's wine list features an expansive selection from an extensive wine cellar. Madison’s sommelier—or “Wine Navigator” as he introduces himself—helps with selections. The Private Wine Cellar offers an intimate dining setting for up to 12 guests. Madison’s Restaurant and Wine Garden is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. Reservations are suggested for lunch and dinner. The Wine Garden is open in the warmer months. All major credit cards are accepted.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Madison's - Best Restaurants in Highlands / Sapphire ›
Madison's reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (63)romantic (57)fit for foodies (50)notable wine list (42)scenic view (24)great for outdoor dining (21)great for brunch (16)great for lunch (15)neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (8)hot spot (6)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great food and atmosphereDiner01Dined on 9/15/2014Madison's is a wonderful restaurant in the middle of Highlands, NC. The food and service were exceptional and the atmosphere is quiet and soothing. Highly recommend as a don't miss if in the area of Cashiers and Highlands, NC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingNiceGuyDined on 9/12/2014Although the service was superb and the food good, the noise level and the extremely warm temperature were disappointing. Great for a group...for a couple, not so much.Special Features:
- DisappointingCudaShudaBeenFunDined on 9/11/2014In summary, the food was mediocre. Duck was very good. Meat loaf on a par with a college cafeteria, lukewarm and mushy. Vegetables presented in unappealing manner and tasteless. We had the feeling that the staff and management were relying on the setting to carry the day. Alas, we were there to experience a good meal. It didn't work for us.
- Absolutely Fabulous!CMMMDined on 9/7/2014Had a wonderful dinner at Madison's. The services is excellent and the food was amazing. Looking forward to my next visit to OEI!Special Features:
- Great experiencejohnDined on 9/7/2014Located in the Old Edwards Inn, Highlands NC, Madison's is a convenient venue when staying at the Inn. Diverse menu, expertly prepared with top rated service. Upper end pricing, but reasonable for a 5 star resort. If you like friendly service and plenty of it from a very diverse team of specialists you will enjoy Madison's. We did very much. They also offer a more relaxed experience in the Wine Garden just outside Madison's offering many of the same menu items al fresco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2014Food, service, plenty of menu choices, spotless, all excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special eveningfit4aqueenDined on 9/4/2014We loved the elegant feel of this place – like a dining room in a European inn. I definitely will return to try more of the delicious food. It was our 43rd wedding anniversary and a table adorned with red rose petals awaited us. Our server was professional and congenial.Special Features:
- Torn emotionsShelbeeVIPDined on 9/4/2014The food is very good, no question. Service started out good, but ... the server never poured out wine, what should have been a good dinner was not quite as good because it took too long to come out of the kitchen after clearly sitting. Ordered dessert and waited and waited. Finally went to find our server laughing and chatting it up in the kitchen with some other servers. Asked to cancel dessert because it was taking so long. She said ok, but didn't check to see that the charge for dessert had not been removed. The food and beverage manager was highly apologetic and removed dessert. Server was not attentive at all half way though the meal and no one poured our wine except once a waiter from another table saw us pouring our own and ran overSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak Very toughFoodiesDined on 9/4/2014I had the seared ribeye. It was displayed beautifully, but the steak was so tough I could barely eat it. The restaurant was beautiful and the staff was amazing. Very disappointed in the food. My wife had the trout. It was good but a very small portion.
- Madison's continues to pleaseMarboDined on 9/2/2014We have eaten here a few times while traveling. This time staying at Old Edwards Inn. Wonderful as usual. Eclectic choices prepared well and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindaDined on 8/30/2014Outstanding service and delicious food. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat Customers!thatdrimmelDined on 8/30/2014So great we went back the next night!!! Ambiance was good, staff were more than friendly... food was excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Garrett ReservationsolittletimetodineDined on 8/25/2014The entire evening was outstanding. Beautiful table overlooking gardens/street. Maxine was our server and she was wonderful. Anticipated every request, made great recommendations and had answers to everything. The food was delicious, well prepared, presentation was lovely. Will definitely go back next time we are in Highlands, NC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Madison is not worth considering.DickDined on 8/21/2014The sole objective of every employee with whom we dealt seemed to be to move us through their system as quickly as possible, having us spend as much money as possible and interacting with us as little as possible. The Chef apparently has decided that it is his place to tell customers what they will or will not eat and has completely forgotten who is paying his salary. This is the first time in any "fine dining" establishment when we did not leave any gratuity. We are in our 70s and this was our 49th anniversary which Madison ruined for us.
- Neighborhood GemtootsieDined on 8/17/2014As residents, this is our favorite place to eat and soak in the wonderful food, service, and ambiance in Highlands. Always consistent, in every way. We always enjoy the cornbread muffins and their soups are delicious. Shrimp and Grits is always a favorite too.Special Features:
- nice place for dinnerluvHallsDined on 8/15/2014we spent the weekend in Highlands and went to Madison's twice. the staff was very helpful, service was great, food was incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousEBI1Dined on 8/14/2014Ambience.. Creative and divine food.. . Art like.. Wait staff fabulous.. Can not wait to go back.. In the top 10 ever of any restaurant I have been to. It is a real real treat and experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!PeteKDined on 8/10/2014Spent a couple of days at the Old Edwards Inn and had an amazing dinner at Madison's! From the beautiful table in the window (the best in the house) to the service from Ify who was so friendly and accommodating, we were happy from the start. Our food was magnificent - the butternut squash jelly served with the pear salad was unlike anything we've had before. The caramelized onion on my ribeye astounded us and the crazy smoky unbelievable Benton's bacon on the chicken was to die for. We live in Asheville where amazing restaurants abound - Madison's easily competes in the top 5 restaurants here. Loved Madison's - you will too!!!Special Features:
- MikeDined on 8/10/2014Excellent food, great atmosphere, attendive staff. Menu could be a bit more diverse.Special Features:
- Nice Ambience Lousy Food.wwjdDined on 8/9/2014We have dined at Madison's several times over the years. The property is a beautifully restored and upgraded "Old Edwards Inn" located in the heart of Highlands, NC. We usually choose Madison's for meeting out of town guests on their arrival for breakfast or lunch. The atmosphere and service have remained constant and well done. The food however is another matter if you are looking for a reliable food venue in Highlands this is not it. We ordered 3 fish dishes and all were disappointing small portions and lacking in presentation and flavor. Lunch for 3 with no alcohol was $78. There are many dining options, even a grocery store grill just up the street, serving better food at half the price.
- Highlands Gemgaf11Dined on 8/7/2014I eat at Madison's each year, and find it the most accomplished and innovative restaurant in Highlands. The food is inventive. The plates tend to be rather too busy with too many combinations, and as such it has the feel of 1990s dining, rather than the more minimalist plates common today, but the restaurant does take valuable risks.Special Features:
- MooreDined on 8/5/2014Cozy and romantic. The wait staff was very polite and knowledgeable about the menu items. This is one of our favorite places to visit in Highlands.Special Features:
- Creative FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/3/2014We had the vanilla roasted pear salad which was great. Lobster bisque was too earthy tasting. The trout dish with potato leek cake and fried cabbage was different than what you would find at most other restaurants and was very good. We also had a Caesar salad which was a large portion., and a side of grits which were outstanding. The bread choices are great , and the complimentary nut brittle at end of meal is a nice touch. Service is very attentive . Only issue we had was we had asked to push back our reservation 30 minutes and were told that was not possible, yet there were several unfilled tables when we left. Overall this is probably best restaurant in Highlands for a special occasion dinner.Special Features:
- RevstjVIPDined on 8/3/2014Excellent as always!!! We have eaten here many times and have always had a great experience.
- 49th Anniversary TreatlibbylaurelDined on 8/2/2014Our table/booth was adorned with red rose petals for our anniversary celebration, and we could not have received better service anywhere! The Old Edwards Inn is the perfect place for a special occasion, and ours was memorable in every way. Food is outstanding & the service is impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2014Madison's never disappoints. The food is creative and imaginative. You always get something you aren't going to find elsewhere. It is simply the best restaurant in the area and you have to go to larger cities to get an equivalent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25 and countingLove25Dined on 7/29/2014My wife and had our 25th anniversary dinner at Madison's. The service was outstanding and it was one of the best best meals I have ever eaten!Special Features:
- DisappointingHighlandsdinerVIPDined on 7/22/2014We eat at Madison's regularly and were disappointed by our server, a young lady from Norway, who was "in training," and not well trained. She did not understand much of what was said and expected at a restaurant of this level. Her apron was filthy. One of our guests commented that it looked as if she was cutting meat in the kitchen. We were very embarrassed to have brought our guests that evening after we had raved about what an excellent restaurant Madison's was.
- Food for thoughtDanielspicksDined on 7/22/2014Great can't say enough great presentation and you can see they try hard to make it right for your experience dining with them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Madison's LunchjominaDined on 7/22/2014My wife and I traveled to Highlands for our 30th Anniversary. We studied restaurant reviews and decided that Madison's sounded like the kind of place we would like to visit. We weren't disappointed. The service was excellent. The food superb. The ambience elegant. After our meal the waitress approached our table to present the bill and my wife complimented her on what a fine job she had done and casually mentioned we were celebrating our 30th anniversary. When she returned with our change she also brought a single, long stemmed rose, which she presented to my wife. This was a memorable meal made even more special by the courteous and competent staff. We highly recommend Madison's and will return whenever we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jermaine to the shoe glue To AsiaMountainlover123Dined on 7/21/2014We had the best cocktail hour at the hummingbird with jermaine being a great host & Barkeep. Asia was a terrific server in the restaurant Madison's. Food was greAt !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining at its bestKatonCroydonDined on 7/21/2014Madison's is the perfect combination of cozy, understated elegance. The food was superb, the presentation was very nice, and the service was outstanding. We will definitely be dining here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcoming destination!FreddieDined on 7/21/2014Although perfectly appointed with correct service, Madison's is a welcoming place in Highlands, the service is friendly and personal. Food is casual with some culinary surprises. Ingredients are fresh and many grown on the mountain. Everyday there is a flatbread (homemade crust pizza), several soups and sandwiches, hot mains like shrimp and grits, even calf's liver! Wine list is superb and the Bloody Mary's remind that you are on vacation, You will want to linger in theis beautifully appointed setting!Special Features:
- Started off on wrong footMomwantstoeatgoodfoodDined on 7/20/2014My party of two was shown to tiny table cramped in a corner. When we asked for one of the many available booths, our hostess informed us they were all reserved and that we had to specifically request. We did get a table/ booth combo in the less scenic part of restaurant. When we finished an hour and a half later, there were still booths available. Very disappointing. Our actual server was great! Super friendly and warm which was an unexpected surprise because the other time I dined here, it was not the case. The truffle macaroni is a must try! I had ribeye, my husband had the meatloaf. Both were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique & Delicious!GingerLougheryDined on 7/19/2014The view from our table was beautiful & the food was amazing! We had a hard time deciding what to order because everything on the menu sounded delicious! Each entree was unique & fresh. And our server was fantastic - as a server & bartender. Great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be pamperedMGM28VIPDined on 7/15/2014Madison's staff went out of their way to make our anniversary dinner special - from the table sprinkled with rose petals to the delicious cuisine and superb service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip the meatloafhosephVIPDined on 7/13/2014The overall meal was great. The server Maxine provided outstanding service. The pear salad, carrot/apple soup and sunburst trout were superb. The meatloaf was poor, do not order. We will go back to try other items on the menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Fabulous! A delightful and delicious experience! By far, the best restaurant in Highlands/Cashiers area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bob and Glo SmithOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/2/2014Madison's was a great experience. We were celebrating our 44th anniversary and we could not have felt more welcomed. The food and the staff are what makes for the excellence in dining that they achieve. This is a MUST for anyone in or around Highlands NC. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Madison anniversary dinnerLindaVIPDined on 6/30/2014We celebrated our 30 yr anniversary at Madison's. The team greeted us and had rose petals on the table. Very nice touch. We ordered a steak and sea bass to share. The steak was over cooked but the fish was fresh and delicious. The truffled Mac and cheese was the best. Dessert was a chocolate soufflé with honey and chocolate chip ice cream. The chef wrote happy anniversary for a nice presentation at the table. The entire experience was nice and cozy.Special Features: