119 King Street
Madison, WI 53703Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.madisonsdowntown.com/
- Phone: 6082290900
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am-10:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Boyeson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Main level private room
Lower level private room with bar.
Please visit www.madisonsdowntown.com for more info.
- Entertainment: Madison's features a collection of live DJ's - Friday and Saturday nights.
Be sure to stop in for the NFL Sunday Ticket Season and Superbowl! Sundays 11:00 - 6:00pm
A word from Madison's
Madison's is a classy and comfortable restaurant & bar staged in a classic setting. As the anchor tenant of a building built in 1889, Madison's boasts large glass windows and lots of exposed brick. Come enjoy discounted offerings at happy hour, a wonderful dinner from our full menu, or a late night environment full of twenty, thirty and forty-somethings. Madison's - Celebrate great experiences!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Madison's reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (3)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- probably odered wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/16/2014was not a stellar meal. should probably still with burgers and bar items - very nice waitress
- Cool and CasualxfighterpilotDined on 6/25/2014Relaxed and open atmosphere... more pub feel than restaurant, but the food was really good and our waitress was super friendly and attentive to what we were selecting. As we considered our salad selection, she mentioned (had taken note of) that the lettuce wedges were the "greenest she had ever seen" that day, and when they arrived we had to agree (and the salads were delicious too). That kind of attention to details by a server is both important and appreciated by us. The rest of the dinner was just as good... and there are nice surprises like Garlic Grits and a wide variety of tasty tater tots to consider as well. If you are looking for casual but great value, check them out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 37 reviews are from the Madison's reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014So nice, we only were waiting 10 minutes for a table and they offered to buy us a round because of the "inconvenience". Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealJamesBVIPDined on 4/25/2014My wife and I have found Madison's to be a surprisingly consistent great meal. Most people think of Madison's as a bar or late-night dance spot. But, we've found them to be an excellent and reasonably price dinner downtown. They are large enough that getting a reservation is rarely a problem even when other restaurants are sold out. The only knock on our most recent visit was a slightly inattentive waitress. She introduced herself when we sat down and then didn't return for a REALLY long time. Then we ordered drinks and she brought me the wrong beer (I had ordered Miller Lite - nothing complicated). The appetizer and dinner came out in a timely manner, however. We will definitely come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal, good locationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/8/2014We were looking for someplace to eat before going to the Overture center and this was a good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid downtown spot for dinerPeterDined on 2/14/2014A unique menu that stands apart from the noise in downtown Madison cuisine. Very cool ambiance and fantastic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better before 630TedurdahlDined on 2/14/2014It was a nice plac ean d had a great time but after 630 the band starts and gets kind of loud great lace if you are looking for an all night kind of date.Special Features:
- Love Madison's!food4meDined on 12/31/2013Madison's is an excellent place to dine! It offers a variety of options for any patron... whether you're going for a nice meal, to watch a game, have a delicious signature cocktail, or dance all night! Their Hanger Steak is the bomb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYEfoodisgoodDined on 12/31/2013A few friends and I went for Nye. We wanted to eat there as well since it was cold out, so we booked a reservation. The latest reservation we could get was 630 :( even though when we got there they said we could have the table for the whole night. Wish we could have booked it at 8 instead. The Dj didn't start playing danceable music until 1030 and he didn't play many today's hits. I would say we had an okay time, not worth $25 that others had to pay if you didn't eat there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for drinks but not foodMadieDined on 12/6/2013Not kid friendly - no milk or kid food options. Food was sub-par and certainly not worth what they charge. Cheese curds were a plate of grease. The place was quiet for a Friday night. Bar has a decent drink selection but choose elsewhere for food.Special Features:
- Charming historic building!MstasiaVIPDined on 11/9/2013This was a nice respite after the chaos and fun of game day in Madison. The old nostalgic building lends it's vibe to the really cool cocktail list. The best was the spicy cucumber martini. Food was also great but was looking for a vegetarian entree choice, all meat and fish. There was a flatbread pizza but crust was thick and doughy. I would return as Madisons offers everything neighboring places do without the lines out the door. Great capital square experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for drinks and appsskifoodieDined on 11/1/2013My group was very pleased with the tap beers and appetizers. As we were there just before 7pm, the tap beers were $3 and the appetizers were 25% off. The food is overpriced for the quantity and quality. With the happy hour discounts, it was reasonable. Our entrees were overpriced and average. Next time, we will go earlier and just get drinks and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for after a Badger game!BeckyVIPDined on 10/12/2013We had a reservation for after the football game so it was great to be able to sit down in a warm restaurant and enjoy good food and great service. I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the restaurant, the burgers and beef panini were good and we really enjoyed the chocolate cake for desert. Our waitress was friendly and attentive too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second good experienceJamesBVIPDined on 10/11/2013We've tried Madison's twice recently and have enjoyed both experiences. The menu is fairly small but everything on it so far has been tasty. The "hot tots" are my personal recommendation. The service has been prompt & friendly. I would definitely go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night out!VeraDined on 9/20/2013Our first time taking our college kid and friends to dinner in Madison! Easy to park, cool atmosphere, good service too. Kids loved the varied menu and the music and tv's. Being in the center if the city and close to the capital building completed the evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bachelorette party!HanranDined on 8/2/2013My friend had Bachelorette party this previous weekend. We decided to come to Madisons for dinner. I had been to the restaurant for drinks and my friend had been for dinner. We were greatly impressed with the service and the wait staff as they were super friendly and very accommodating. We had great seats in a booth. We were impressed with the great drinks and Wisconsin based dinner menu with a flare! I'd recommend this place to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- past reviews were disregardedDisappointedVIPDined on 7/26/2013past reviews were disregarded to try the food. stayed long enough to see what problems were. food can't make up for bad management
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2013took my two sisters to celebrate a retirement. Nice atmosphere, great food, friendly service. Varied menu so something for everyone's taste. Topped the night off with a complimentary dessert for my one sister who retired. Nice touch. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Tater Tots are epic. IOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/1/2013The Tater Tots are epic. I would not have expected to have gourmet Tater Tots but they were the highlight of the meal. You have to get them. The Sweet Potato Tots and the Truffle Tots are especially good. The Tequila Chile Chicken was so-so, but the Fish Tacos however were exceptional. The servers were kind, informative and attentive. Our next trip into Madison will definitely include a trip to Madison'sSpecial Features:
- the food is tasteless andambrai101VIPDined on 3/1/2013the food is tasteless and has no seasoning. it is so loud you cannot hear yourself or anyone else speak. will NOT be back.
- Went for Valentine's. It wasn'tfoodie08Dined on 2/14/2013Went for Valentine's. It wasn't packed, but the waitress definitely seemed to be rushing us along (I think she was ready to take our orders about 3 minutes after we sat down, she checked in several times, and I noticed her glancing to see if we were done about halfway through the meal). I had the fish tacos, which were good. Madison's never blows me away with the food, but it is a solid neighborhood choice.
- Beef tenderloins were veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013Beef tenderloins were very chewy, blood red, like eating raw meat. They were not good at all.Special Features:
- I have been to Madison's onethorvaldson05VIPDined on 12/31/2012I have been to Madison's on several occasions since approximately 2009 and the restaurant has increasingly become worse and worse. Every time we have made a reservation, the staff are always scrambling to arrange seating and questions us if a reservation even exists. My husband, male friend, and I dined at Madison's on New Year's Eve 2012 with a 7:30pm reservation. The restaurant was not full and we had to ask several times of different wait staff for a drink list. Our waitress was not attentive to the table and several staff members "hovered" over our table waiting for us to finish as soon as our food arrived. One staff member even took a plate before we were finished without asking. Overall, not worth the time or trouble.Special Features:
- The menu was limited for dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/22/2012The menu was limited for dinner, but the drinks were fantastic as were the waitstaff and ambiance.
- Sports bar with a touch ofCollierCulinaryCritiqueaVIPDined on 8/23/2012Sports bar with a touch of class makes this place a fun charming place to eat and have fun. Happy hour menus make the meal not only tasty but affordable as well.Special Features:
- Overpriced for average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/3/2012We were expecting so much more with this restaurant. Drinks are overpriced and not that great. Twelve dollars for a mediocre drink is not worth it. I can get a much better drink across the street at the Opus Lounge. Food was average and also overpriced. Not much to choose from for entrees either. We only went there because a friend gave us a gift card for Madison's, and we still have some left on it. Probably won't use the rest of it though.
- Madison's has an identity crisisOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/21/2012Overall Madison's is OK but could be a lot better if it could decide what it wants to be. We went there thinking it was a higher-end restaurant but upon arrival discovered it had large screen TV's in the dining room showing the Brewers. I don't go to nice restaurants to watch TV, I go to sports bars. Food was good. Very noisy and difficult to talk. With some easy changes could be a much better experience.
- I had a great meal. The chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/21/2012I had a great meal. The chicken diablo was just the right amount of spice, tender pieces of chicken. My companion had the lemongrass cilantro chicken which also was done perfectly. The service was attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:
- Went for Valentines Day asOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2012Went for Valentines Day as they were one of the few.dowtown restaurants that takes reservations AND had a 6 pm opening. The drink list and beer selection were top notch. They have a plethora of house-infused spirits (apple raisin Bulleit anyone?). The service was impeccable. We had our appetizer in no time and our food before we finished our first drink. The food was good as well. I had the beef tenderloin special. The fried cheesecake dessert was excellent as well. The ambience was great. Dimly lit, lots of exposed brick. The one thing that threw it off a little bit was what I assume was a VJ spinning 1980s R&b videos on projection screens all over the bar. Really, really weird and somewhat out of place. Other than that, everything was A+Special Features:
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011The service was outstanding I appreciae the hospitality and they didnt hover over us or stay too far back the manager was excellent for the high price of the food the portions were quite large. It seemed like a special occassion as we went there for new years but I know I will be back for a regular old night outSpecial Features:
- This place needs to decideQuincyDinerVIPDined on 7/26/2011This place needs to decide if it wants to run a bar or a restaurant.
- The menu was reasonably pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/3/2011The menu was reasonably priced and the food was excellent. A wide selection of tap beers alsoSpecial Features:
- The tenderloin was fabulous.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/16/2011The tenderloin was fabulous. Tender, juicy and cooked just right.Special Features:
- Nice placecps1Dined on 2/23/2011Great spot for a pre-theater light dinner. Very friendly and helpful staff.
- Madison's was a nice restaraunt,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2011Madison's was a nice restaraunt, esspecially for the price. The food was good, and it has a nice downtown setting. Staff was very friendly.Special Features:
- Thought the food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/15/2011Thought the food and service were very good. Great place to watch the Packer Game!Special Features:
- Madison's Downtown is theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2010Madison's Downtown is the best restaurant and dance club in Madison. Not only is the main floor atmosphere chill with great music and amazing food, but the lower level dance floor is great to continue dancing the night away. This place has everything me and my friends like, good atmosphere, good food, good drinks, good music and good prices.Special Features:
- We ate earlier in the nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2010We ate earlier in the night due to a concert and felt the restaurant was very quiet. We were expecting it to be a little more energetic, but assumed we had eaten too early for that.Special Features:
- Very good happy hour. SlightlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/9/2010Very good happy hour. Slightly disappointed in the food menu for happy hour as it was high calorie (lots of deep fry choices), but we found a couple of good choices from the regular menu. Beautiful building. Lots of space.Special Features: