238 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.madisonbistro.com/
- Phone: 2124471919
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:30am - 11:00am
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 3:45pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French American, French
- Executive Chef: Claude Godard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private room available for up to 20 people.
- Private Party Contact: Melvin (212)447-1919
- Special Events: Madison Bistro is available for private parties. Whether you would like to plan a casual cocktail & hors d’oeuvres party, or a larger full dinner party, Madison Bistro will accommodate you. Private room or entire restaurant available.
A word from Madison Bistro
For fine French cuisine in a romantic and elegant setting, be sure to visit Madison Bistro and enjoy Chef, Claude Godard's updated traditional bistro fare. Enjoy a 3 course prix fixe lunch for $27. and Dinner 3 course prix fixe $45.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Madison Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)great for lunch (23)fit for foodies (14)romantic (11)great for brunch (5)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (2)special occasion (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Still going strong!RichDined on 9/10/2014This Classic French bistro continues to deliver great food in wonderful surroundings with an attentive friendly staff!Special Features:
- Enjoyableoliveoil65Dined on 9/6/2014I've been to Madison Bistro many times, but have not been back in a long time. Took a best friend for dinner prior to theatre. It was just as wonderful as I remembered it. Service, Food, Wine were just great. We had a wonderful time and the fixed price was the way to go. DELICIOUS!Special Features:
- A Predictable Bistro--very good!EatwithAnnieDined on 8/26/2014I hoped it would be a quiet, candlelit place with a mellow vibe and my favorite bistro food--generally escargot, steak tartare with frites, and any interesting dessert of the evening. Madison Bistro was exactly this. The escargots were served in a special dish, not in the shells, and the garlic butter in which they were drenched was so good, I ate two excellent crusty rolls bit by bit, dipping them into the plate! The texture of the snails was very nice, too--they can be dreadfully rubbery, but here the texture and flavor were just what they should have been.The Steak Tartare was great too, prepared at table side in the traditional way, highlighting but never overcoming the taste of good ground sirloin. Fresh fruit for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, weak serviceGPLuVIPDined on 8/26/2014stable menu, well prepared food, service is unfortunately indifferentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerCaradineDined on 8/24/2014Food was fantastic, one of the best gnocchi dishes I've ever had & shrimp was so fresh; so happy I ordered grand marnier soufflé The service was definitely outstanding, I can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was lonelyCamilaDined on 8/21/2014It is not a place to go after a Broadway show which was our situationSpecial Features:
- Perfect for breakfastbraddivaDined on 8/14/2014I had heard of Madison Bistro for lunch and dinner, but I will now recommend it for breakfast. Lovely menu and at 9:00 a.m., the restaurant was nearly empty, so the service was attentive and quick. The food was just as requested --- and for eggs, that's not always the case. I will go back.Special Features:
- delahoyazamoraDined on 8/2/2014The cost performance of their food and service is much better than some ”pricy but so so" notable restaurants in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple, deliciousTocoVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great food, terrific service. Only negative was the odd background music that detracted from the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GPLuVIPDined on 7/22/2014the atmosphere and food are wonderful and worth coming back for - the servers need a bit of work in protocol and dealing with the public.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic and delicious cuisineStPalaisDined on 7/21/2014Madison is my go to place in Midtown for lunch or dinner. Great wine list too. Service is professional. Consistently good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French foodCharles1900Dined on 7/14/2014Went there to celebrate Bastille Day. Ideal for that occasion! Terrific charcuterie (don't miss the duck pate) and wonderful desserts.Special Features:
- Lunch with a co-workerCityGirlGDined on 7/14/2014I had lunch with a co-worker and the food was excellent. However, service could have been better. The waiter brought out the wrong lunch order for me. He told me he would bring my correct order of mussels and fries. The mussels did come out of the kitchen shortly thereafter and then the waiter said he'd also bring me fries. 20 minutes later no fries and when we asked the waiter he looked confused. He said he'd check on it and then he came back to tell me they were making them now. He never really apologized but the host did. This was a little mishap which could have been handled better. The mussels were delicious and when the fries finally came out they we hot and tasty also. Eventually, the host offered us coffee/cappuccino on the house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic French Findgws58VIPDined on 7/13/2014I live in the area and have wanted to try Madison Bistro. It finally happened last week for a Bastille Day event. The food was very good, indeed. I had eaten in a similar type of French bistro earlier that week and Madison Bistro was head and shoulders above the other one. I had a beautiful mixed green salad with crispy garlic chips....I swear it's always the little things in restaurants that makes them stand out! A delicate broiled trout was a welcomed change to an overcooked salmon swimming in sauce earlier in the week. An assortment of fresh and fruity sorbets with perfect meringue flats completed a memorable meal. Some loud and drunken tourist-types needed to be managed by both our party and the staff but all in all....tout va bien!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/9/2014Went to Madison Bistro for a lunch business meeting. Location was convenient, although restaurant a bit 'worn.' Waiter was friendly, but took some time to get our order. Unlike dinner, lunches should be quicker. Food was excellent. Overall, nice experience and would recommend.Special Features:
- Great foodMichelleDined on 7/8/2014I have dined at Madison Bistro on many occasions, typically for lunch and occasionally for dinner. My favorite items are the baked chicken and the mesculun salad. Excellent!Special Features:
- Authentic French cuisine in midtownkellyVIPDined on 7/8/2014It's a fave among locals who want to feel like that they are dining in Paris. Duck pate is out of this world! Service has a European flair, so please don't go if you're in a rush. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- flying solo, or with familyprairiegirlDined on 6/20/2014Dining alone was comfortable, early in the evening. Food and presentation impressive. Noise level at the bar notable, but not intrusive. They were having a good time. I would return, for lunch with friends. Location is good.Special Features:
- Good reliable lunch choiceSkinnygalDined on 6/13/2014I always lunch here when in NYC-- location is convenient, menu varied bistro, and prix fixe menu a bargain. Service is always pleasant too. Place is never noisy, either.Special Features:
- DustyDined on 5/30/2014A great neighborhood spot. Always delicious and consistent. Good wine selection and always friendly and competent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but ....GrandvisutVIPDined on 5/30/2014Excellent food and quite reasonable prices. However, the waiter did not hear our dessert Order for soufflé. It's a 30 minute wait. When we inquired, he did not apologize or attempt to make amends in any way for the error. Did not appear to care. Disappointing finish to a super food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- two appetizers spell delightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/30/2014Not an extensive menu but that's fine - and we both ordered two appetizers: the charcuterie plate and the cheese plate. We were happy campers. Both were served on bread boards - the only issue: small bits of toast, not enough to complement the selections. However, they offer a very good small bread and we both asked for second helpings of those. Wine was fine; we were satiated and a good walk of some 30 blocks completed the evening. The service was fine. This was not a busy evening so not much competition for service - but all seemed good. One thing they could do something about - fix their little outdoor space in the back. It has lights and some poor plants (not sure if they were real) but it could be so spruced up and isn't.Special Features:
- Great intimate "neighborhood" spotCrd8763Dined on 5/23/2014I first found this place nine years ago on a fast trip to NYC. My hotel was just around the corner, and one night I wondered around just to see what was local and happened on it. I was so impressed that I ate there twice that trip, and now I make an effort to stop by at least once every time I'm in Manhattan. You can't beat it for mornings; it's usually not at all crowded and it's a great spot to have breakfast or coffee and watch the street go by. Very much the feel if a little Parisian side street cafe. It's also a wonderful intimate spot for dinner for two, but it gets crowded fast so it's important to get a reservation if you have a schedule. The menu isn't too broad, but everything is nicely prepared and they're very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 412 reviews are from the Madison Bistro reviews archive.
- great little findArteVIPDined on 5/19/2014the food is 5 star the service attentive perfect place for lunchSpecial Features:
- Good dinnerMomoNYCDined on 5/12/2014Good food, excellent value on prix fixe menu. Super service. A good place for conversation over dinner.Special Features:
- over priced, & overchargedbuongustaioDined on 5/11/2014Party of 6...Went for Mothers day. Hardly any customers except for a few senior citizen couples....should have seen the signs.... Food was ok. The French onion soup was so so. Streak frites best thing on the menu....says a lot...charged us extra for the souffle that was on the prix fixe menu.....we've had better....only thing we could taste was egg...at the end of the meal they added gratuity of 20% to the bill and then charged tax on the total.....can you believe it...they taxed us on a gratuity....this was intentional and not an act of ignorance...place was empty most of night they probably figured they needed to recoup some losses Never again would not recommend
- A Mother of Mother's DaysaltherugDined on 5/11/2014We got together with the kids to celebrate Mother's Day. Friendly, courteous service and good food. One minor negative. Their ad mentioned a glass of champagne for the mother on the group. We forgot to ask and no one volunteered. We remembered when we were on the way home.Special Features:
- EliGVIPDined on 5/6/2014Wonderful meal at an affordable price. Good menu that is not overwhelming but still has good variety and some unusual items.
- The little bistro that grewSavvyVIPDined on 5/6/2014We hadn't been back to Madison Bistro in a while, and I remembered it as a charming small bistro. I asked to have "a quiet table" when I made the Open Table reservation, and the restaurant honored it--there is a tiny room that was added to the back of the restaurant--but it was very dark and had no charm, and the noise level from the bar upfront on a Sat. night was certainly more than "energetic". The "quality French" menu looked different to me ( a small piece of lasagna? plain grilled salmon? ), and the" prixe fixe deal"(Zagat quote) was $46 for just an appetizer and entrée. Sorry, Mad Bistro , we missed the old you.Special Features:
- great service, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/1/2014i met a friend there for a late lunch and it was not crowded and everyone there was very attentive. the chicken with salad dish I ordered was fantastic.Special Features:
- Consistently goodJoePVIPDined on 4/23/2014Welcoming bar is nice place for per dinner cocktail . Fixed price menu provides excellent way to enjoy some very good French cuisineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A superb dinnerLeMarechalNeyDined on 4/19/2014The chief is offering Dover Sole this spring, and it is absolutely wonderful. The product was of the highest quality, prepared with chief's light touch enhancing this wonderful creature's unique flavor and texture. Generally fish in New York restaurants is overcooked, and frequently immersed in preparations containing everything but the proverbial kitchen sink (i.e. prosciutto, bacon, nuts, lots of sweet stuff, etc.). At Madison Bistro, there's an intelligence in the kitchen.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAndreTemcoDined on 4/17/2014Great spot in midtown...Always a great lunch. Food is well crafted. French onion soups can be salty..the one here isn't and has a deep rich flavor. The Prix Fix lunch is a great bargain in an expensive city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014I went during lunch. The service was pretty slow. We constantly had to wave over our waiter for him to notice us. Two people next to us ended up leaving before touching the food due to the poor service. However, once the food came I was fine. It was quite delicious and flavorful. The portions were perfect for both the french onion soup and chicken.Special Features:
- Always great food and serviceRichDined on 3/27/2014Lunch at Madison Bistro is always a fantastic choice. Great food, excellent service and nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Food For Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/24/2014The bread is amazing at this restaurant. The bar scene is vibrant and a bit loud at times, but not overwhelming. My food tasted great and was cooked perfectly. I ordered the filet with frites. I'm a steak guy and I know it was not a filet. It was more of thin cut NY strip. Overall, it was still fine, but not what I expected. The pear desert was one of the best deserts I had in NY. The French onion soup was very good too for a cold day. The price of the meal was reasonable (pre-fix $45 (3-course)), but the house wine is pricey for what was provided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Egg to Die for !!!LovefrenchfoodDined on 3/19/2014Claude Godard a " Maître Cuisnier de France" is an outstanding chef and such a nice guy! An absolute Must try is his "egg Moley" FABULOUS! His " Salmon croque Monsieur" is so considerate and delicious for those who keep Kosher. In the evening, the glazed "daurade" is Amazing. Their bread and desserts are Made on premises and DELICIOUS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well-managed but meh.DugganDined on 3/18/2014The restaurant's service was fine -- especially because of an attentive manager. I booked because we were attending a concert at the Morgan and since my friend was too late to dine, I only had time to try a couple of things: a mesclun salad with garlic chips and the shrimp risotto with pesto. Both were well-presented and my only real objection was to the risotto, i.e., the amount of oil in the pesto that swam atop the risotto as a bed for the shrimp made the dish far too -- rich? cloying? -- to eat much of. Anyway, while I'm sure Madison is a good neighborhood restaurant, I wouldn't seek it out again.
- Excellent French RestaurantHappyLeaderVIPDined on 3/6/2014We were coming from seeing a concert nearby - Mariachi Flor de Toloache - and craved French Food. Did our Open Table homework, and came up with Madison Bistro as being the best rated and most convenient. We were not disappointed. Both of us had the Prix Fixe dinner, both of us enjoyed our dinner, and both of us left stuffed - and satisfied.Special Features:
- Never changesFrequentdinerVIPDined on 3/5/2014We have been walking downstairs to eat here almost monthly for 16 years. It seems to always be owned by a different person with a different chef and almost always different waiters. They practically never recognize us and it is always understaffed as well. We truly miss Frere Jacques that was around the corner where they knew our names almost immediately. None of us can figure out why this restaurant always seems so mismanaged.