Madison and Main
126 Main Street
Sag Harbor, NY 11963Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Madison and Main
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://madisonandmainrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6318083600
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Madison and Main
American Regional Seafood and TavernContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Madison and Main reviews from OpenTable diners
- A Short Life Span for Madison/MainnjlinkVIPDined on 12/7/2013This restaurant was too hot to even attempt during the summer, so we loooked forward to the delciious duck the other evening. Not only did we learn they were out of duck, but the duck was never to be had again! Madison and Main is supposedly closing for good as of the next day! Even the hostess had no idea why, raising her voice so we could hear over the noisy bar crowd as she mentioned how popular the restaiarant has been. It was a great staple in Sag Harbor, despite the fact that the noise level was impossible during summer weekends. Hopefully something that can be enjoyed throughout the year will take its place!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to Sag HarborMomrunsVIPDined on 12/6/2013We dined this Friday @6 with our young children. The bar was lively and there was a great guitar player there. The adult menu was good and the kids were happy with their choices too. Although we dined as a family and enjoyed it very much, we would also like to come back for a romantic meal. The ambiance and decor were spot on; it's a great addition to Main Street in Sag. We can't wait to dine during the season although I suspect there will be a big fight for bar spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was ok..overrated...local...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/26/2013Was ok..overrated...local... too noisy and not the first time the service was lacking!! Would return in time but not on a regular basis as I would if I felt it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinner or lunchFoodieDined on 9/28/2013Food is creative, perfectly prepared, fresh and delicious; service is professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hamptons horrorBalletgoerVIPDined on 9/14/2013This was our second try at Madison and Main. First was opening weekend so we thought it deserved a second chance. Have never had worse service in the 33 years we've been in the Hamptons. Noise level makes ordinary conversation impossible. Special pasta with lobster was so 'al dente' and tasteless with rubberized lobster that it was inedible. Waitstaff left us unattended for a half hour at a time., then was obsequious on arrival. Places like this are what people write Hamptons parodies about.
- Casual BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/14/2013We both had an amazing bowl of chowder, huge portion, very tasty. Could have shared or had as entree. The Chicken BLT was also a large portion, on nicely toasted bread. CBLT was served with huge steak fries, unfortunately they were way over cooked, too crunchy and burnt.
- It is a good thing the foodNYFoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2013It is a good thing the food is really good because the service is awful! I have been twice and both times had this same experience. The first time the waitress forgot about us.......... the second time we waited over an hour to be seated!!! I had reservations both times too! They really need to work on the staff.
- Excellent food and service,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2013Excellent food and service, notablefor a busy holiday weekend. A very nice experience. Thank you!Special Features:
- Great Spot!DaniSGHDined on 8/29/2013Excellent spot. Only gripe was it was Happy Hour and we were charged full price for our drinks. Other than that excellent experience!! Highly recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We got there late but theFoodieVIPDined on 8/27/2013We got there late but the kitchen remained open to accommodate us Food was good but our waiter was very inexperienced.
- Bait and SwitchsthrngrlnycVIPDined on 8/24/2013The space is pretty, but there is a major issue going on here. The restaurant seems to be engaging in a bait-and-switch with its wine list. We ordered a 2009 Pinot Noir listed on the menu. What we got was the 2012. 3 years makes a pretty major difference in both the taste and the price of the wine. They are passing off a younger, cheaper bottle of wine to their guests and pocketing the profit. The server's response when we mentioned this? "All the wines' years don't match up with the menu." If they are out of the wine, they should say so from the start and offer the younger vintage at the appropriate price. Add that in with the frazzled service and so-so food, I'd pass on this place if given the opportunity to eat here again. It's too bad.
- Poor to poorBirthdayVIPDined on 8/22/2013I do not think that in my 48 years I have ever had a worse dining experience! Horrible service, awful food and a rude and untrained staff! To sum up the place: they ran out of bread at about 9 !
- A disappointing eveningDisappointedDined on 8/20/2013Dined with my 14 year old daughter. Service was atrocious. Wait was repeatedly 20-30 minutes, even between signing Amex. Waiter forgot about tables. Menu poorly represented food. Food tries to hard and fails. One dish was very good- the scallops. The rest was a complete disappointment. This was by far our worst experience in the Hamptons, amongst all the restaurants we dined at. I would never go back and spend those prices to sit on an overrated porch after using opentable to make a reservation.Special Features:
- Lovely transitionOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2013Initially we missed the old restaurant that was here - Paradise - but that did not last as the food, service, and ambience at Madison and Main were all excellent . A welcome, reasonably priced, delicious addition to Sag Harbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing!BayRidgerVIPDined on 8/19/2013I have tried to get into Madison and Main before without a reservation and was not successful. This time, I made my reservation nice and early to avoid the crazy loud bar scene that occurs. It was my husband's birthday and I wanted it to be special. My daughter and I had the lobster which was good. I felt bad, however, because my husband ordered the striped bass which was not very tasty. The bar was not very busy because it was early but, the sound in the dining area is awful. This is the 4th restaurant at this location in 20 years. The other 3 were lovely. I think Madison and Main needs to improve on some things, to make it right.Special Features:
- Recommend with considerationsRichBVIPDined on 8/19/2013Had lunch here. Service was ok, but nothing special. Food was ok, but nothing special. The place looks great. We sat outside in the back, and the setting was wonderful and relaxed. I'll try it again, but my first trip was not one to rave about nor one to complain about.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good mix of food and fun.OdimdVIPDined on 8/18/2013Been to M&M four times now. If I wanted to complain that the waiter made a mistake I could. If I want to complain that the food was not perfect I could. If I wanted to complain that the place was too noisy I could. But that's exactly what this. A fun local place that serves good food with good people having a good time at the tables and especially the bar.Special Features:
- South Beach Comes to Sag HarborOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/17/2013Reservations are not much help. Reminds me of futile attempts to eat at Prime 101 in South Beach. We waited 30+ minutes in a jammed bar area waiting for a table to clear. The staff tried to be solicitous but they would be better off not taking reservations in August--there was much unhappiness in the house. The food was good although not enough to warrant another visit during the Summer season. Maybe we will try it again in the Fall. Bring back the Paradise!Special Features:
- New hot Spot in Sag HarborOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2013Great food ,Great service ,We enjoyed it very much. I had the tuna can't wait to get back to order it againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOISYRobinYogiDined on 8/17/2013Very noisy on Saturday summer nights. Very good food and service, but conversation is difficult.Special Features:
- Stop the noise.....OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/16/2013We have enjoyed many lunches and brunches at this restaurant and during the day you can enjoy the decorations and good service that you would expect but having dinner here is a different experience. The noise level coming from the bar is intolerable. We were sitting outside in the front and even the waiters were shaking their heads about the noise. I would recommend going to the bar at night for the lively scene but not eating dinner unless you bring ear plugs. The food is always very good but the service is lacking mostly due to the waiters having to traverse the people crowding around the bar.Special Features:
- Summer NightPhylDined on 8/12/2013This restaurant is great for summer nights. You have a choice of eating outside in front of the restaurant or on the back patio where it's quieter. The food is good, not great, but good. I would go back.Special Features:
- Please don't go hereTPAKDined on 8/10/2013Disappointing. When I saw it only had three stars I should have known but I enjoyed the restaurant that used to be in the space and I was hoping to enjoy this as well. First of all it was about 100 degrees in the restaurant. It has both a front and back patio which may make for a nice cross breeze but the night we went it was 88 degrees outside and a cross breeze wasn't enough. The wine list was nice but the lipstick on my wine glass was not. They did replace it immediately. I ordered the scallop and shrimp pasta which was so bland, absolutely no taste. My husband had the chicken paliard which he described as a Greek salad with chicken. It wasn't that the food was bad but there was nothing special about it. It was much better last summer.Special Features:
- Uneven - some dishes wereUWSmooseVIPDined on 8/9/2013Uneven - some dishes were great (fish, hamburger) some were merely fair (filet mignon). Salads were all tasty, as were the raw oysters and clams. Active bar scene.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wrong Choice for date nightSIEGSVIPDined on 8/8/2013To LOUD. Could hardly hear my wife.Also food was not good. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Disappointing...bring back ParadisePatAVIPDined on 8/7/2013After many enjoyable meals at Paradise, we were looking forward to dinner at its replacement, Madison & Main. Our party of 4 was seated in a horseshoe shaped booth, but the size and shape of the table didn't properly "fit" in with the shape and size of the booth, which made it awkward and uncomfortable. The evening entertainment at the bar was too loud, as was the music in the restaurant that replaced the singer, very difficult to hold a conversation given the noise level. Drinks and appetizers were served in a good time frame, but the wait for the entrees was very very long. We had seafood entrees, which were good, but hardly compensated for the other shortcomings. Plenty of other Hampton eateries to choose from before we come back to M&M.
- Loved it this timeluvitVIPDined on 7/29/2013we were at Madison and Main when it first opened and liked it but now love it. they got their act together and the food was perfect. we took our guest and they can't wait to come back. Lila the manager wanted to make sure everything was perfect and stopped at ever table to say hello. they have a great choices so it was difficult to decide what to order. the bar seems to be a hot spot and a great place to have a drink.Special Features:
- Service was bad food was worseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2013The food was way too heavy and salty. Seems to be MSG in the food as all four of us had reactions the next day. We couldn't get our server's attention for water. They forgot to bring utensils. And there was a party at the bar so the noise level was deafening. For all this we were charged 5 star prices. I would NEVER go back.
- Very noisy and too busy! FoodCharlieDined on 7/20/2013Very noisy and too busy! Food took forever and had to be sent back to kitchen few times. Drink orders were also messed up a few times. Overall the vibe is good- busy fun loud- good for big group looking for a scene. But definitely won't be back until they become a little more organized when expecting a heavy flow of people.
- Too Loud, Decent Service, Good FoodRobertVIPDined on 7/20/2013Went on a Saturday night with a reservation and had to wait 20 minutes for our table, though the host was honest about it the second we checked in and said they were behind. The food was very good, though more expensive than on the menu online. The wait staff tried hard, but was too busy to have excellent service. The halls are very thin, which creates an incredibly loud restaurant, you would think that you were at a concert on the ride home with your ears buzzing. Not an intimate place, but solid food, and if you can stand the noise, not a bad seafood option.Special Features:
- Food not the "Main"eventBusinessexpenseDined on 7/19/2013We had a reservation, seated right away but everything after that went downhill. Noise level was impossible to have a conversation between Music throbbing and 12 inches separating our table from the bar crowd, 5 people thick, which meant wait staff constantly knocking into our table. Too dark to read menus. Service was horrible. Waited 20 minutes for a glass of wine, had to chase after water. Had food been good we would have let the bad service slide. Food was barely edible. Grilled Octopus chewy, "local" sole dried out, duck tasted like a mircowave reheat. Restaurant is this summer's place to be seen. But unless they seriously improve the food and service it won't be long before it's another Hampton "one season wonder'. .Special Features:
- WHAT DID YOU SAY?slb5Dined on 7/18/2013Too bad there's not a "screaming" choice for noise level. It's summer in the Hamptons, and this is the "hot" new place in Sag Harbor (formerly called "the un-Hampton"--no more, alas). A Thursday night, not even the latter half of July yet, and the noise level was impossible/unbearable, and that was almost as far as possible from the nondescript duo performing at the entrance end of the bar. Food was OK to good, but the experience was such that I can't recommend and won't return.
- Horrible RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/13/2013We had an 8:45 reservation. I called and told them we would be 10 min. late. We arrived at 9:50. We didn't sit down until 9:30. They proceed to sit us outside where it was 90 degrees. We told them we wanted a table inside with the air conditioning. They told us no and there were two empty tables at the time. We left. They never told me they were giving me an outside table. It was a horrible experience. I felt abused.
- Avoid on Saturday Summer NightsEannunzVIPDined on 7/13/2013Painfully noisy. Dominated by the bar scene. Seated 45 minutes after our 830pm reservation on an outdoor porch on a very hot humid night. Food was ordinary.Special Features:
- Has potentialAPG1VIPDined on 7/13/2013Restaurant is off to a good start but still working out kinks. Food was generally good but needs to be delivered to table while still hot. Got the feeling that our waiter, though friendly, wasn't getting food to us when it was ready and food kept under the lights doesn't taste as good. Fried clams and swordfish were delicious but flatbread was very weak as it was very doughy and cold when served. Sea bass was tasty but accompanying clams were undercooked and cold. I'd go again in the hope that these kinks will be worked out. Overall conclusion, friendly but not there yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, but quite goodFrankFDined on 7/13/2013My wife and I arrived at 6PM on Saturday night, and the place was really crowded up front at the bar. But we had a reservation, and were seated promptly. Service was quick and attentive. The noise level, as cited by others, was indeed loud, but not a bother to us. Food was really good. We both had specials, me a swordfish steak dish that was great, and my wife a soft shell crab dish that was equally great. Only criticism here is that my wife's tuna ceviche appetizer, while tasty, was delivered lukewarm. We think ceviche should always be nice and cold. Did not try any desserts. All in all, not a place for a quiet, romantic dinner but we enjoyed it and would go back to try other menu items that sounded good.Special Features:
- Great, especially for a resort townOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2013Madison and Main is an amazing restaurant in Sag Harbor which I think is the loveliest town in the Hamptons (I am bias since I have been coming to Sag Hadbor since I was a child). Several of us had the Swordfish special, which was the freshest piece of fish I have ever eaten. We started by sharing the flatbread and the octopus - both outstanding!! Service was great and the atmosphere is friendly and energetic. They take reservations which is great and everyone is friendly!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The only flaw was the veryJakeVIPDined on 7/10/2013The only flaw was the very high noise level but it was influenced by a private all women fundraiser selling pocket books only separated by a curtain. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as outstanding as I wasLouisVIPDined on 7/7/2013Not as outstanding as I was expecting. Wine by the glass was very good and reasonably priced. Food was good, not great. The former restaurant, New Paradise Cafe was much better.Special Features:
- Unpleasant diningOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/6/2013Food was OK but not great. Noise was unbearable and service was very slow.