195 Dekalb Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11205-4005Neighborhood:
South AfricanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.madibarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (718) 855-9190
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: South African
- Executive Chef: Mark Henegan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Madiba restaurant itself, our Catering & Event Production division
is both a gateway and a much missed opportunity for enjoyment
that is nothing short of ‘home’ - wherever that home may be.
We are a New York based full-service Catering & Event Company,
experts at making any size corporate or social function a highly
- Entertainment: From the South African All Stars to local Brooklyn Artists, the bill constantly changes!
- Special Events: Monthly Wine paired dinners form October to March.
A word from Madiba Restaurant
Since 1999, Madiba Restaurant has offered a unique South African experience, the first of it"s kind in the United States. The restaurant is more than the food- join us to witness love, enjoy libations, and the feeling of "Ubuntu"- "humanity" in the Xhosa language.Continued
Fashioned in the style of a "Shebeen," Madiba offers refuge and relief to neighbors and travelers, friends and strangers alike. Come and see for yourself.
Fashioned in the style of a "Shebeen," Madiba offers refuge and relief to neighbors and travelers, friends and strangers alike. Come and see for yourself.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Madiba Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Fort Greene ›
Madiba Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (56)fit for foodies (45)good for groups (39)hot spot (28)great for outdoor dining (18)vibrant bar scene (18)special occasion (18)late-night find (18)great for brunch (17)great for lunch (16)romantic (13)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- Cool vibe, but bad serviceMuffinDined on 2/8/2014The atmosphere is fun, and the food is interesting, but the management needs to step it up. Even with a reservation, we were told there would be a "25" minute wait. An hour later, we were seated. Sorry guys, it's not worth that kind of wait. How about you need to RESERVE tables for people with a reservation!
- Hidden GemNewJersianDined on 2/8/2014Outstanding, authentic with a variety of complimenting flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We all had a great time andRereDined on 2/6/2014We all had a great time and we all enjoyed the food. We were a party of eight. The one thing that was not very good was this. There was a member of my party in a wheel chair and I had actually visited the restaurant prior to making the reservation to inquire about the accommodations for a person in a wheel chair. I was assured that the bathroom could accommodate her. This was not the case. She had to go outside to get to the bathroom and then, once in the ladies room she could not get herself turned around in order to sit on the toilet. Please take a look at this and make some adjustments , or inform the public, when they ask that you are not wheel chair accessible before the reservation is made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic placeBrooklynerDined on 2/2/2014We've been to Madiba at least 10 times since we moved into the neighborhood 6 months ago. The food is invariably good ans the owner always makes you feel welcome. I've brought all my friends and visiting family in for the experience. I recommend the oxtail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like your home!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/2/2014The brothers that own Madiba are the most friendly, down to earth, loving and energetic South African guys you will ever meet. When you meet them you immediately feel like you've known them for years! My South African girl felt like she was back home in Durban. The food was amazing and my South African date attest to that. It was authentic, very very tasty and cooked with love. The atmosphere was down to earth with no pretension, nor fuss, nor frills and time just flew by enjoying the food, the good company and the positive energy. I highly recommend going to this place if you love being yourself and having a good meal and good time with good friends. I am going back there every time I am back home in Brooklyn guaranteed. Malva pudding!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE this placeebonesDined on 1/10/2014Madiba is a great restaurant all around. The food is AMAZING, and the owner is a really nice guy who comes around and chats you up. Overall, great vibe, no attitude. Good place to come with your lovva or some friends. I have not 1 complaint.Special Features:
- MadibaSunaDined on 1/6/2014The atmosphere is great and the people who work there are very generous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencecarlorDined on 1/5/2014Nice food, nice people in an outstanding ambience. The only problem? I live in Europe, then it will not be easy to come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The new BrooklynPatickDined on 1/4/2014I used to live in Brooklyn so whenever I go back it's seems like nothing I remember of the Brooklyn of old. Madiba's is your typical Brooklyn hipster spot, but the combination of the food and South African vibe makes it worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not goodfoodexpertDined on 1/4/2014the service was poor. the food was ok, the drinks were over priced. especially being in fort green. i wasn't impressed I would have rather gone to McDonalds.
- New Year's Eve at MadibaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013I went here for dinner NYE. The wait was extremely long for our reserved table, but apparently the wait was long all over the town that night. When we finally got seated everything else was lovely. The food is amazing (but they ran out of the potatoes I wanted). I will definitely go back on a normal evening of dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MadibamnbnycVIPDined on 12/31/2013I really liked this place. Denis welcomed us very cordially and the restaurant is decorated with South African theme and of course items recalling the late Nelson Mandela with whom the restaurant shares a name. The menu is varied and interesting replicating food from the country, is well cooked and served. The wine list concentrates on South African wines which are under-appreciated. This was a good experience and the place was full of a very diverse clientele including families with children and a great cross-section of locals. A very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectgnatteringsDined on 12/22/2013The food was delicious and the attention to our large party of 8 was spot-on. Thank you, Madiba!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Madiba still great but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/21/2013The food is delicious and it's fun to try all the unusual dishes. But the noise level--OK it was Saturday night, prime time--but we could hardly hear each other and we were only 4. Unfortunately, way too many New York restaurants have this big flaw..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTomKDined on 12/21/2013Unique cuisine, terfficly prepared and presented with a cool, welcoming vibe.Special Features:
- no table for usGrrrDined on 12/21/2013Even though we had a reservation we were seated in the worst seats in the house - right next to the kitchen. There was also a fan blowing on our table. We had to walk out without ordering - a shame because the food looked good.Special Features:
- Madiba restaurant does notMarissamiekeDined on 12/15/2013Madiba restaurant does not honor reservations. Not only did we confirm twice with them during the week, but we also confirmed on that same day. We made a reservation for 5:30 on Sunday (for the Mandela tribute) - but ended up leaving at around 7, when we realized that they still had not sorted out a table for us even though we kept asking for almost 2 hours. Madiba's took walk-ins over reservations and were too nice to tell the walk-ins to wrap it up as they had reservations waiting. Really just not the way to run a restaurant. I will not be returning. Braai in Manhattan is far superior to Madiba's. It seems cleaner, more organized and I've never experienced bad service there.
- Delightfully Delicious!!VeggieHeavenVIPDined on 12/10/2013My husband and I reserved dinner before going to a play and let our server, Simon know this. This was our first time here and the food was delightfully delicious! The food selection caters to both vegetarian and meat eaters. My husband loved the various vegetarian selections that were available. We enjoyed the ambiance - the high ceilings and funky decor. And many thanks to our server, Simon, who helped us finish with plenty of time to spare. We plan on coming back!Special Features:
- i love this placetdm1VIPDined on 12/8/2013a she been grows in brooklyn. totally unique. food is utterly delectable--and reasonable. the sud afrique house Rose rules. and the curries are astonishingly good--Special Features:
- Great nightLovethisplaceDined on 12/8/2013Mandiba was recommended to me by a friend who lives in the neighborhood. The second we walked in we felt like regulars, smiles were easy to come by as were the hugs by the end of the night. Any questions about the menu were answered with clarity and enthusiasm. The food was AMAZING! Some will say that the service was slow. In my opinion it was so nice to sit at a restaurant and not feel like you are being pushed out for the next group. We took our time, ordered more and more and were made to feel like we could have stayed all night if we wanted to. I will return to this restaurant again and again!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Saturday night find!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/7/2013My fiancée and I were looking for a nice restaurant near our friend's apartment in Fort Greene. Madiba was a great find! We had to wait over an hour for our reservation, but the manager (owner?) was very nice and gave us wine while we waited. The food was fresh and unusual... my first time trying South African cuisine! Will definitely be back... anticipating the wait this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is so delicious especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/30/2013Food is so delicious especially if you're a South African and missing your boerewors and pap! Desserts need to be revised though as have tried several now and they all taste a little stale. Best just having the ice-cream and chocolate sauce.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe, wonderful service ...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/30/2013And super yummy food. Our first South African menu... delicious! We had a large mixed group ages 8 up gathered around a nice big country table. Great attention by our waiter. Eats appealed to all preferences - omelet, curry, oxtail, calamari, burger, salad. Stand-out sides -- vinegar chips, beets and pumpkin fritters! Strong coffee and outstanding sweets to finish off. Thanks for giving us an ideal place to "break bread" with old friends uniting for the afternoon in Brooklyn from Phili, Austin and Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!vivaciousvictoriaVIPDined on 11/23/2013This was my second time at Madiba and it did not disappoint! Came for brunch and loved the varied array on the menu. Would definitely come back for any meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREATOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/13/2013Wonderful food, great ambience, will come back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING FOODUlrikaDined on 11/13/2013I loved this place! Great food, really delicious and such a nice place. I wanted to stay eating forever! One of my best food-experiences in NY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOOD! Eclectic, artsy BK spotLittlelady419Dined on 11/10/2013We loved this place and will return however we hope our next visit service is better! I had brunch at Madiba and we were very excited to finally get to this place! Food was outstanding and our server was very knowledgeable however there was not enough wait staff and service was very slow! It took very long before orders were taken then also for our beverages to come out and it was only wine not mixed drinks However once our orders were place food did come out quicklySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/9/2013Great Brooklyn hangout. Fun vibe, great energy and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gemadogDined on 11/9/2013south african cuisine is under recognized and under represented This restaurant does its best to break out With a genuine warm greeting on entering by its owner, only a few tweeks would make this place 5 star. Certainly a wise choice for Brooklyn's cultural dis- trict dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013Always love a trip to madiba. The food is delicious and the place is just always filled with happy energy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentnycfoodieVIPDined on 11/8/2013Me and my sister went on a Friday evening and had a great time. Everyone made us feel instantly at home and the service was great. We ordered the Chicken Wings Peri Peri, Pap & Vleis (rack of lamb chops), and Oxtail, and they were all AMAZING. The vibe was loud but not too loud, and the ambience was great. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of South AfricajeanlucDined on 11/2/2013Being a South African I have high expectations for South African food. Madiba's is a great place to get a taste of some of the local dishes in South Africa. The staff are all very friendly and accommodating and the food, delicious. I highly recommend the Lamb Curry Bunny Chow, easily one of my favorite dishes. The Chicken Livers Peri-Peri is also fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Soith African foodDominicDined on 11/1/2013I would highly suggest Madiba to anyone looking for authentic South African food. Try the Bobotie (ground beef with spices) or the "pap en vleis"(white corn meal and lamb chops). The oxtail was good, but my mom's is better. The Malva pudding is fantastic as a desert option, you will not be disappointed. I felt as I were dining at my best friend's house with great food and ambiance.Special Features:
- Great variety!DMSNYCVIPDined on 11/1/2013Great variety of menu choices to meet all taste buds. Restaurant staff is very nice and helpful in their recommendations and was very attentive to our needs and to find out how satisfied we were with the meal. I would go back again and have already told some friends that they should try it. Go and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic eveningkateDined on 10/25/2013My friends and I met recently for a birthday dinner at Madiba. The service, wine, and food was impeccable. The restaurant has a great vibe. Staff are friendly and laid-back. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hit or miss with service!NakedEyesVIPDined on 10/20/2013I've been here quite a few times & the food has been consistently good & flavorful. This was my first time at Madiba for brunch - they were out of sugar, syrup, half & half (not good during brunch). Our beverages took a good 25 minutes to get to our table, brunch took over an hour. What was rather disappointing is that out waiter forgot one meal completely. That meal came to the table when everyone was finished with their meals. I'm hoping this was just a bad day for them when it comes to brunch service, if it wasn't, then service will be their demise & I would hate to see that happen as the food is quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalDonVegaDined on 10/19/2013Had a wonderful time at Madiba's this passed weekend. One of the owner's of the restaurant, Dennis, gave us a warm and friendly welcome as soon as we enetered. The ambience was great , service top notch, and food ingrained in my memory. The first time I came to this restaurant was during memorial day weekend and I fell in love with the place. I knew from that day I'd be celebrating my first anniversary there as well as many special occasions to come ,and whenever i get the hankerin' for those pumpkin fritters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great authentic south africanelmicaelVIPDined on 10/19/2013great authentic south african food, friendly ambiance, great serviceSpecial Features:
- We went for my birthday, andDaniDined on 10/11/2013We went for my birthday, and I had an amazing time. The only complaint I have is that there was not enough lighting by the table we were sitting at. Otherwise, great experience!Special Features:
- Thought Madiba was awesomeBondGirlVIPDined on 10/11/2013Thought Madiba was awesome in Miami & they are even more so in Brooklyn. Love!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.