1321 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.madhatterdc.com/
- Phone: (202) 833-1495
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 2:00am, Friday & Saturday: 10:00am - 3:00am, Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: DJ and dancing Wednesday-Saturday nights beginning at 9pm
A word from Madhatter
..A dining saloon and drinking houseContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Madhatter - Best Restaurants in Dupont Circle ›
Madhatter reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (35)good for groups (30)neighborhood gem (20)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (17)great for lunch (15)great for outdoor dining (15)hot spot (14)fit for foodies (13)kid-friendly (8)special occasion (6)romantic (3)Show More
- Excellentirlandes226Dined on 11/1/2014A group of 4 friends and I went to Madhatter the Saturday after Halloween prior to a party. We arrived late due to our GPS acting up and the hostess was gracious, and the server knew we were in kind of a hurry and did everything he could to accommodate us. It was busy, especially on the bar side, but it wasn't too noisy at all. We shared a slew of appetizers, nachos with pulled pork (phenomenal!), the macaroni and cheese, thai shrimp, shrimp tostados, chicken quesadilla and everything was delicious. I will definitely go back when I'm in town again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/13/2014Amazing! We had a wonderful time and food was Delish! Totally will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good serviceapapa33Dined on 10/4/2014I went there for brunch and it was great. Our servers name was Freddie and he was just wonderful. He was attentive, but not overbearing. He made sure everything we needed was available and that we were happy. Towards the end we could tell he was a little busier than usual and he came over and apologized for the slower service. We weren't worried at all since we understood he was just busy. It clearly wasn't on purpose. The only issue I would have to say was the table location. It was in a tight corner and one of the seats was in the isle where there was a little too much foot traffic and a tad distracting. But Freddie made the experience great. I will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless Mimosas!YummyFoodieDined on 9/7/2014Madhatter is one of the few places where a Bottomless mimosa brunch won't break the bank. Outdoor seating was shaded, which was nice. Food was just okay, nothing memorable. Will probably go again just for the mimosas.Special Features:
- The establishment was filthyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014The bathrooms were filthy, extremely slow service.Special Features:
- Great happy hour placeypdinersDined on 8/27/2014We met a few friends from out of town here for happy hour. They offered a lot of great food on happy hour. We had the wings, flat breads and enormous plate of their signature nachos. The drinks were also good. We got to try the signature rum punch, the Madhatter, served in a what seemed like a 10-gallon hat! It was delicious and took 6 people to finish it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Service but Excellent ResponsesilverspringdaveVIPDined on 8/22/2014Service was terrible -- among the worst I've ever experienced. I e-mailed a complaint to the manager and received a prompt, apologetic reply promising action and offering restitution. The terrible service was not at all typical; the restaurant is normally completely satisfactory in all respects.
- Mad for the hatterDCFoodie2UDined on 8/18/2014Looking for a lunch spot on the fly, glad I chose the Madhatter. Once the other two members of my party arrived, we were seated immediately. Meg, our server was very patient and attentive. Our salads were served quickly and were fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- So SoStinaDined on 8/17/2014This was my 2nd time to the Madhatter. They really should give up making carbs. The toast wasn't toasted, the pancakes taste as though they were frozen and reheated in the microwave and the fired potatoes weren't seasoned at all; but the scrambled eggs were excellent!!!! The greatest part was our waiter Jose he was so patient with us and constantly kept our glasses filled as 4 of the 5 of us ordered the unlimited mimosas. Overall the food good have been better.Special Features:
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014The service was some of the worst I have experienced in DC. It got to the point that my rather large group took to serving ourselves more coffee and requesting things from other staff. The food was mediocre and most of it was brought out at room temperature or colder. Mediocre food can be worth it for the bottomless and availability for groups but the service means I'll never be going back.Special Features:
- FoodophileFoodophileDined on 8/17/2014Food was very good. Service could be better. Coffee lukewarm.Special Features:
- Solid Brunch ChoiceImContributingDined on 8/10/2014Food was good and more affordable than most brunch places. They offer bottomless mimosas for $12 but I opted to get the Hatter Bloody Mary which I really enjoyed. I think our waitress was new and brought us our check while we were still eating which felt kind of pushy. Side note that it's pretty pricey for a bar when it's not during happy hour. Over $7 for a gin and tonic is nuts.Special Features:
- Great experienceNmonroe3Dined on 8/7/2014The Madhatter was great at lunch. The server was familar with the menu and made recommendations. The food was delicious and service was outstanding!Special Features:
- Fantastic time!StewMoonDined on 8/1/2014We picked this spot as it was going to be close to a follow on event after dinner. What a treat! We showed up a bit early and the bar was a bit full as it was Happy Hour...BONUS! We were eventually sat in the courtyard area outside. Had a great meal with good food and a wonderful wait staff in Freddy. Wish all our experiences could be like this one.Special Features:
- great for happy hourHappyhourerDined on 8/1/2014Food was decent and inexpensive. Drinks were good. Would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luncheon MeetingMacheteDined on 7/28/2014Great locale for a luncheon meeting, but the restaurant was not crowded at the time. Nice bar and TVs for the barstool crowd. Very good service from the waiters and the food is also very good. I like the restaurant because it is conveniently located and the service staff is very friendly/helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 336 reviews are from the Madhatter reviews archive.
- Nice experience, reasonably pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014Went to MH for a Friday special occasion dinner, just my wife and me. Service was attentive and excellent; prices were moderate; food was good. Our only disappoitment was that dancing doesn't start until 10:00 pm-- so we had a few hours to kill after out 7 pm dinner.
- Nice surpriseninoDined on 7/5/2014The quality of the food (burges, salmon sandwich and mac&cheese) was good. I would not expect that from a clubbish place (it turned into a loud music saturday night club after 11pm). We'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- Great for brunch!NicoleJDined on 7/5/2014The server was really nice and the food was great! It came quickly and was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fun decor!CatcanDined on 6/22/2014Our annual "girl" trip with my two daughters and sister caused me to find a brunch place for Sunday morning. It was listed as a hometown favorite so it was right up our alley. We loved our brunch and our unlimited mimosas. The waitress was very friendly and attentive. The location was perfect for us to start our day. We arrived a little early so we walked around the neighborhood while we waited. We will definitely recommend the Madhatter to anyone we know that will be visiting DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic...this time.CatherineDined on 6/20/2014We were actually a bit late because we misjudged the distance from our hotel but it wasn't a problem. Service as pretty decent and the food was excellent. We chose Madhatter for a special occasion dinner and the food was a reasonable price, the interior was casual but still classy and all around it was a great evening there. The second visit was the complete opposite. Service was TERRIBLE. There was a big game on so it was PACKED. One exit? Can you say fire hazard? Oh and the server I asked for a table from never got back to me to let me know there were no tables and weren't likely to be until after the game. NONE of the servers acknowledged me aside from the one I initially asked for a table from.Special Features:
- I would returnOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/18/2014I enjoyed brunch here. Food was pretty good, the customer service was great! Our server Jasmin was awesome! The theme was cute.Special Features:
- Dud for LunchMWM53VIPDined on 5/3/2014Our family had a very disappointing Saturday lunch/brunch. Service was inattentive. Burgers were overcooked. Monte Cristo was the worst I have ever had. Agree with other reviewers that this place must succeed only on its bar and alcohol. Don't go for the food.
- Bar neglect?nixiedcVIPDined on 5/1/2014for the first time ever, I was at the bar for 5 minutes before anyone asked me for my order. Had never happened before, and there were two staffers behind the bar. Not so good.
- Awesome brunch!MmfoodDined on 4/20/2014Came here for Easter with my friend after waiting until the day before to find a spot for brunch. Both of our meals were delicious. Would definitely come back.Special Features:
- eh..dhs1024Dined on 4/12/2014i dont think it really deserves the 4 stars that it shows online. the food was alright but the service is what got me. we arrived on time for our reservations and yet we had to wait and a couple different servers came up to us and told us to wait 5 minutes.. 3 times..when we were finally seated, it took so long for the waiter to come and take our orders for drinks/food..basically everything was slow..the waiter had a bit of an attitude to one of the people in our group as well..i wont be coming back.
- foodieVIPDined on 4/11/2014They were not open late for diner. It was already a club, so unfortunately we don't know.
- Excellent service, nice bar,MacheteDined on 4/8/2014Excellent service, nice bar, good food! I'll be back tomorrow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehLHLHDined on 4/6/2014The service was outstanding. The food was decidedly mediocre. My brother ordered the Monte Cristo sandwich, it was completely uncooked on one side. My tostadas ranchers, which came highly recommended, were decidedly so-so. I'm guessing the sweet breakfast foods (pancakes, waffles, etc.) are better than the savory ones we ordered.Special Features:
- Not a great outingghawk16VIPDined on 4/6/2014We went for brunch because they have an all you can drink mamosa deal for 12.00 or make your own Bloody Mary bar. My daughter said she had been there before. The food was average at best. I had a steak and eggs breakfast. My eggs were way over cooked and dry and the steak was grilled with BBQ sauce. Now, you mat say so what. BBQ sauce, however nowhere on the menue does it say the steak is cooked in BBQ sauce or even marinated. I do not care for those favors on a steak plusit was a bit tough. Won't go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came here for Brunch on Sunday.JenSVIPDined on 4/6/2014Came here for Brunch on Sunday. The french toast was delicious. I would skip the mimosas tho, probably the worst I have ever had.
- I have only been here forMydogGibbsDined on 4/5/2014I have only been here for Brunch- which was FANTASTIC, the food was fantastic- the service- bottomless mimosas for $12- everything was really great!. (Make a reservation!) I can't speak for the night crowd.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014Our waitress Candace was phenomenal. She was funny, attentive, and overall extremely nice. She gave honest and unbiased opinions on the food, being it was my friend and I first time. She was superb! Awesome place.......trulySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchCsmsaDined on 3/9/2014If u love bottomless mimosas, Bloody Mary bar, great service and food then go to mad hattersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Brunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2014The Madhatter was a great brunch spot. The menu makes it hard to decide what to order. The bottomless mimosas are delicious and the waitstaff is on top of your refills making sure your glass never runs dry.Special Features:
- Good BrunchAmandaVIPDined on 3/2/2014My group was quite happy with the fresh coffee, bloody marys and unlimited mimosas. I'd recommend the Hangover Helper and the Bisqwich. The french toast was also tasty!Special Features:
- Bottomless BrunchDCDCDCDCDCDCDined on 2/22/2014Decided to try the brunch at Madhatter after seeing that they have bottomless mimosas for $12. Our waiter was very attentive and kept the drinks coming even when the place started to get busy. That is something key if you wanna get your money's worth for bottomless drinks IMO. I had the french toast, which they make with thick french baguette bread that was perfect. (not too soggy, etc) Side breakfast potatoes were seasoned very well and the bacon was just the right amount of crispy. Overall a good experience and worth a look for weekend brunch--they have a back patio that shouldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentSunnyDined on 2/17/2014Ecclectic decor. Came for Monday specials (including lobster, half-price wine, trivia). Trivia was played upstairs in run-down bar area. Had to go into another room to order food (no specials mentioned at all). No servers ever take drink orders, have to get your own. Food portions were large and quite good.
- Couldn't get in the door.JnkkellyDined on 2/15/2014We showed up for our dinner reservation and the place was so crowded and loud we couldn't get in the door. There was a rowdy line on the street trying to get in. We are in the diner next store which was very good.
- The food was just okay. ToNJokiDined on 1/29/2014The food was just okay. To be fair, we only ate items off the appertizer menu. The dining experience wasn't bad, it was just okay. There are so many other restaurants in the area that have better food and service.