Mader's German Restaurant
1037 N Old World 3rd St
Milwaukee, WI 53203Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $31 to $50
Mader's German Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.madersrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (414) 271-3377
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, American
- Executive Chef: Lucas Wenthur
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Mader's catering is recognized for creating lavish or traditional dinners, sure to dazzle guests for celebrations of all sizes and occasions. Mader's catering can provide for any affair from gala cocktail receptions, elegant dinner parties, to large tent events accommodating from 35 to 2000 guests
- Private Party Facilities: Mader’s German Restaurant has been preparing for your visit since 1902 so that no matter what the occasion, we are fully focused on exceeding your expectations. Whether it's an intimate group or a lavish party, the unrivaled attention of our staff assures you and your guests a memorable experience. Please feel free to contact us to start planning your special event.
- Private Party Contact: Mary Niland 4142713377x228
A word from Mader's German Restaurant
At Mader's German Restaurant, you'll get the best ethnic German cuisine that Wisconsin has to offer. Our menus are filled with ethnic dishes that raise the standards of fine dining in Milwaukee. Not many restaurants in the Milwaukee area have as much history as Mader’s. You’ll dine amid a stunning $3 million dollar collection of art, suits of medieval armour and antiques dating back to the 14th century. Browse through our menus, and you will be inclined to make a reservation to experience why Mader's Restaurant continues to be ranked among the top restaurants in Milwaukee, Wisconsin throughout the years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
Mader's German Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
Mader's German Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (14)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (12)romantic (11)neighborhood gem (9)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (1)Show More
- Stunning and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014Mader's is a beautiful, historical restaurant. We enjoyed sitting at the bar before dinner admiring all the art work. The food was delicious and fresh. Try the fennel and pear salad. Yum! The bartender, waitress and even the valet were excellent and attentive. The snowstorm outside almost kept us from this place....glad we braved the weather!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CocoVIPDined on 11/21/2014We were so disappointed with the level of service. We had company in from out of town, all of the meals arrived after a long delay and food wasn't even room temp. The waiter didn't seem to want to be bothered with us. We shared our disappointment with the manager who did comp our meal and threw in a gift card. Not sure it made up for our experience. The food tasted good it was just cold and we were starving.
- Best German food in town!hate2cookVIPDined on 11/15/2014Food, service, history! Traditional dishes. Great place for 2 or a group!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KilaVIPDined on 11/9/2014Had the veal Wiener schnitzel and felt for the price the portion of meat was very smallSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!KEllIDined on 10/20/2014It was my first time dining at Mader's and it was a delicous time. They have a notable wine and beer list to match their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014I love Mader's. It is a unique dining experience with good service and good German food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- busy busy busydiningBADined on 10/4/2014Thank goodness I reserved a table on Open Table. We arrived for an early dinner at 5:30. By 6pm the restaurant was full. I am not sure if it was the wait staff or kitchen that was slow but we waited too long after getting appetizers to place our order, too long to get the food and then made the mistake of wanting some of the wonderful schaum torte for dessert. After 20 minutes I finally asked the waitress to box the desserts so we could leave. Would I go back? Yes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food; wonderful serverBobbieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Great, authentic food and a delightful server. Thanks MARY for the great attention.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperiencejpsouthbendDined on 9/20/2014The whole experience was great. It is a beautiful place with lots of historic artifacts throughout the building. We were there early for dinner so it was quiet. The portions were generous and the food was excellent. Be prepared to share dessert - the portions are huge!!Special Features:
- Won't returnRayUWSVIPDined on 9/13/2014Having dined at Mader's over the years & looked forward to another visit when we were in Milwaukee. The problem with the food is that it wasn't consistently good. In particular, the salad was drenched in warm bacon dressing; the Rouladen was dry, tough & had little taste; the spatzel was mushy & soggy;the sauerkruat that accompanied the weinersnitchel was way overpowering (weinersnitchel was actually quite good) - the apple streusel was probably the best item. As for the service, the young lady who was our server was full of energy and so animated that she seemed to have dropped out of the Sound of Music. And the menu....photos of celebs who have dined at Mader's?!? What exactly are they promoting? Didn't make us feel important.
- JRPMDVIPDined on 9/13/2014We always find Maders a high quality restaurant selling great food and relay taking care of its guests. This time my friend and I both had the 10 oz Filet done to a perfect medium rare with a nice mashed potato and a dark sauce. I started with a very respectable French onion soup which had good flavor and a nice amount of cheese. The cranberry bread pudding was superb. It's definitely a dependable go-to place downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great German fareFood4tasteDined on 9/10/2014Exceptional variety of delicious German food. Pork shank served with sauerkraut and boiled potatoes was a huge hit. The shank was "fall off the bone" tender with just a touch of seasoning which was adequate. Finishing off with a Shaum torte served with strawberries, vanilla ice cream, topped with whipped cream was a perfect compliment to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go there for the "feel" mostlytivnetDined on 8/13/2014The location is great, and all the "visuals" are perfect. Free valet parking, great servers. Food: I had better. Their chef is a good one, no doubt, but - I repeat - I ate better everything in a much simpler restaurants. So, do not expect a "Wow-wow-wow!!!" (just one "wow" will be enough) :-))) Beer - I ordered the "sampler". Unfortunately, none of them was of any good. Not bad, drinkable, but definitely not what I expected from an "authentic German place". The "weiss" and "grapefruit" were good. They are always good. But all others, light or dark - I could drink a "coors-bud-miller" with the same result. Anyway, I am happy that I've been there. Thank you!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Masers is not like it used to be. Food quality is not up to par, menu has been slimmed down - you can tell they are cutting corners. Food is definitely not worth the prices they are charging. The atmosphere is awesome, very historic and cool.Special Features:
- I Love German Food...LauraVIPDined on 8/2/2014but this was not what I had hoped for. I liked the red cabbage and goulash.
- Sehr Gut!!!luvopentableVIPDined on 7/31/2014Our waitress, Allison, was fantastic; quick, accommodating service (even took some pictures for us). The food was outstanding; rouladen and sauerbraten with all the trimmings. We think this is one of our very favorite restaurants in Milwaukee, and hope to return many more times.Special Features:
- The following 33 reviews are from the Mader's German Restaurant reviews archive.
- Very Large PotionsRecommendedDined on 7/20/2014We are older and do not eat large portions. Tasty but took 2/3 home and had two more meals Beers are very interesting and GermanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceFarleyVIPDined on 7/15/2014If you want to experience excellent German food, the go no further than Mader's. The food was excellent and the service was great.Special Features:
- rossDined on 7/13/2014Consistently excellent German specialties of all sorts but overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic w/ room for improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/27/2014Looking forward to visiting Maders on a recent trip to Milwaukee, I was disappointed with our server's lack of experience and several mistakes throughout the meal. For example, he brought the wrong food to our table of 4 and barely acknowledged it. The food is good, but I would imagine many visit for a special occasion and more attention to detail would be great. My only other visit for tea and strudel last year was impromptu and very nice with an excellent waitress. I will probably return for dessert someday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a place with free valet service?lthagaDined on 6/12/2014I picked up my mother in law from the airport and needed a place to eat that was nice and where she didn't have to do much walking. Maders is great for just that. The food takes a while to get to you, but it is good. I had the Portabella Napoleon which proved to be much smaller then I expected considering the size of most of those mushrooms. But it was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was so soezjazz11Dined on 6/12/2014They ran out of strudel which was not that big of a deal. It was the main course which was just so so. Not the quantity or quality as in the past.Special Features:
- Great Food and StaffloveNewPlacesDined on 6/11/2014The food is excellent. Great tasting traditional German food. I love the old German ambiance and the staff is really friendly and great. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for good German food and a unique place to hang out.Special Features:
- German food at its bestWIfoodieDined on 6/7/2014If you like authentic German food this is the place to find it. Great drink and beer list fantastic serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pure Milwaukee!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Everything we had was excellent. Very enjoyable experience! We look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/6/2014Food is spot on! Red cabbage is tart and tasty. Waitstaff clearly enjoys the food and is quick to recommend their favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pattypDined on 6/5/2014Have not been here for a few years - much better than I remember and will not wait so long to return!Special Features:
- Great German FoodRoscoFoodieDined on 5/23/2014Another great experience at Mader's. Great food, great service, great beer and wine selection. We'll definitely be going back again!Special Features:
- Great experienceRachDined on 5/18/2014Great place to take guests visiting Milwaukee! Be prepared to pay $30-40 per entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed for the PriceJudyDinerVIPDined on 5/17/2014The appetizer of Rueben rolls was excellent. The drinks were over priced along with the food. We were a party of 5, we had at least 5 different wait staff. Every couple of minutes someone new would come by and ask the same question as someone earlier, and with all that attention the service was just ok. This one will be off of my Open Table reservation options.
- Everything was greatTastebudDined on 5/5/2014Came here with some other guys for a special function at the convention center. Mader's was recommended by to us by another visitor we met who had lived in Milwuakee a few years back. There were 8 of us - we did appetizers, pork shank, schnitzels, fish and all of the desserts. Everybody had a great dinner and service was exceptional. I wish we could take this place home with us!Special Features:
- As close to Germany as it get'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/27/2014Coming from a family that was born and raised in Germany. It is a close contender to actually eating in Germany. It was a great experience and I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- German GemOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/12/2014When I arrived for a Saturday lunch all staff were so friendly. After looking at the beer list I thought I had been transported back to Germany when I visited a few years ago. Schnitzel was outstanding and so was the spatzel. Try the German Chocolate cake even if you need to take it to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hearty German foodSugarmommeVIPDined on 4/5/2014Allison was a fabulous and knowledgable server. I love German food occasionally and am disappointed there aren't good restaurants on the north shore. The travel to Milwaukee eas well worth the drive for delicious hearty food. The pretzel roll is to die for. We had the combo plate of Sauerbraten and Weinerschnitzel which was huge. Our doggie bags provided another full meal at home the next day. Kind of pricey ($36) for the veal instead of pork upgrade , but since we ate it again the next day, well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tournament dinnerJimboDined on 3/21/2014In town for NCAA. Tournament. Wanted to experience a local tradition. It was pricey but excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and servicePeachyprincessDined on 2/14/2014I have dined at Mader's restaurant numerous times and I have always had a wonderful experience. Their staff is knowledgable, helpful and kind. The gift shop is a must see for the stein selection alone. I'm writing this review this time around because the food and service have not only been consistent but Mader's is always able to provide an unforgettable experience. Their valentine's day special menu was a phenomenal and they provided a romantic table even when the restaurant was packed. I would highly recommend Mader's! Keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long waitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014It took us about 2 hours to get our food, server Was rarely around, there was a film on our soup which Showed it was sitting out too long, and the female server in the next Section wasn't busy but didn't help. Instead she creepily Sang and stood at a table bothering those customers. Overall, the Food was ok but for the price and the wait it wasn't worth It.Special Features:
- Special Occasion for FamilyLostokieDined on 1/4/2014We went as a special request from our 19 year old son who was home from college. It was a two hour car drive to get there and the family time was priceless. The food is great. We all ordered different things and every one was perfectly happy with their choice. The wine was good and the bread was the best ever. Great place for a special time with family. Kind of pricey but very worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, food goodhamsDined on 12/28/2013Service was terrific we had a group of 29 and the staff could not have Been nicer and more accommodating. Atmosphere and setting are terrific. Food a little tired, Reuben disappointing, corned beef in thick slices, tough to chew.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont miss lunchhate2cookVIPDined on 12/28/2013Great lunch spot. Wonderful seasonal decorations. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.