1835 N Cahuenga Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.maderakitchen.com/
- Phone: (213) 261-3687
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 12:00am; Friday & Saturday: 6:00pm - 1:00am;
Happy Hour Monday thru Friday: 5:30pm-8pm in bar and lounge area.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Madera Kitchen
Madera Kitchen is a farm to table seasonal restaurant in Hollywood, which serves new American cuisine. Always inventive, chef Kirk Plummer's changing menu is inspired by a wealth of American culinary traditions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Madera Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
Madera Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (24)neighborhood gem (18)good for groups (16)fit for foodies (11)romantic (9)hot spot (7)special occasion (6)great for brunch (5)late-night find (4)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Small potions - slow deliveryKCfoodDined on 10/29/2014Waited 45 mins for food to arrive. There were five at our table and 4 other guests - I wonder how long the food would take if they were actually busy - not really worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Neighborhood Surprise!Uber2dineDined on 10/15/2014Neighborhood friends recommended Madera Kitchen and we're glad they did! The food and service we're excellent, as were the hostess and manager on at the time (Marco). The wines from the barrel we're surprisingly good and a really great value. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone and would encourage those in the neighborhood to give it a shot. We're definitely coming back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SO GOOD!horns34Dined on 10/11/2014Why is this place not STANDING ROOM ONLY EVERY NIGHT!?Special Features:
- Best service I've had in yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014What a treat to find a good restaurant in this neighborhood spot that has seen hard times. Still getting their feet under them on the menu, but the service was wonderful and good humored, and my hope is that they last.Special Features:
- Lots of potentialscotia626VIPDined on 9/21/2014I wanted to *love* this place but only liked it. Lovely space. But service is almost nonexistent and extremely slow. And my *pulled pork* egg dish came with hard over cooked cubes of pork which in no way represented a slow cooked pulled pork. Will try again but on this first visit just another underwhelming but with potential LA eatery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good if convenientGiboraDined on 9/15/2014It was quiet because of the heat wave…I'd go back to sit on the patio….everything was trying to be more original that it really was from a food perspective. I'd go back as they could probably handle last minute and a group. But I wouldn't go out of my way. I see it is a good option for the Bowl or the theaters near by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool space, food not so muchNewtola33VIPDined on 9/12/2014If the food and drinks were as good as the restaurant design is cool, this place would be 5 stars. However, this is a typical LA restaurant - pretty on the outside, but nothing substantive where it counts. The drinks taste watered down, they charge for tap water per "filtered" bottle, and the food is vastly underwhelming-overly dressed and salted salad, mish mash of flavors and ingredients on the halibut, ravioli that had a wonton wrapper texture and heavy and grainy chocolate "mousse" that tasted like it was made days earlier. Yet another LA restaurant we won't be going back to...
- Trying too hardReevyoozDined on 8/31/2014New neighborhood restaurant, so I wanted to love it. I didn't. One dish stays in mind: Buckwheat noodles with raisins, goat cheese, and some odd pagoda-looking teeny tiny vegetable, sort of like the tip of an asparagus but more articulated. A berry? A carved nut? Kitchen said, No: cauliflower. Prenatal, I guess, with lacy detailing...The dish as a whole just didn't work. Flavors didn't mingle and blend. The crunch of the pagoda-vegetable with the burst of sweetness/raisin with the tastelessness of the pasta and the sharp but creamy gush of the goat cheese--a mouthfull of "meh." Mushroom flatbread--grilled oysters--sounded delish but weren't. I do recommend, though, the tuna. It was fun--as I had hoped the whole menu would be.Special Features:
- hungryVIPDined on 8/29/2014I had the orbit carrots and grilled octopus shared plates..and my friend had the gem salad with anchovies and the pork meatballs. Nothing was as standout, except the service. We had a wonderfully attentive and very helpful wait person named Jonathan. I would get the orbit carrots again b/c the grilled kale appeals to me...and I am interested in trying the cherry tiramisu at some point if it's ont he menu again the next visit. The outdoor patio is the best option in my opinion... lovely ambience. I liked that I could switch from house filtered still to bubbly water for $1 unlimited hydration.Special Features:
- ExcellentGeobad11VIPDined on 8/19/2014It was a weeknight so the restaurant was pretty empty. But, overall ambience was great. The food was amazing. We started with a couple orders of the flat bread. They were delicious, perfect seasoning, unique. I had the ravioli with goat cheese and mushrooms. It was amazing. The fish of the day was divine. Everything was fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another noisy restaurantchephstephVIPDined on 8/16/2014The restaurant is very modern and attractive. There was a private party on the patio, so they didn't have room there, although the party hadn't started when we left. Too bad, because it was loud inside. Very loud sound track. My food was good, but there was some room for improvement. My husband didn't like his slow cooked pork, and my daughter was served the wrong flat bread. They took it away, and rather than recook it, they just took off the topping and retopped it, so it was cold, and she could still taste the olives it was previously topped with that she doesn't like. The waiter dumped the bill on our table while we were still eating without even asking us if we wanted to have dessert. Then the forgot to honor our OP reservation.
- Horrible experience at restaurant!DineinlaVIPDined on 8/10/2014Bad and over priced food! Staff is rude and refused to accept open table check as part of the bill given we had made reservation via opentable. The owner is very rude and we will never visit this place again!! Place was dead on a Sunday afternoon during brunch!
- Mostly Pleasant ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/30/2014The food and the ambience really sold the place. The service was very nice too. The hostess was a little scattered but our server was great. The downside is the ladies restroom (and perhaps the men's too, I wouldn't really know). It is clear they are leftover from when the place was a club, and it really needs some TLC. Black commodes and cracked mirror backed stalls? Ick. Creepy.Special Features:
- The following 9 reviews are from the Madera Kitchen reviews archive.
- Great new find!ZeeManVIPDined on 7/24/2014Madera Kitchen has been open just over 3 months & we chose it for dinner before the Pantages. Every dish was great - grilled octopus, quinoa salad, shirt steak with grilled sun chokes & the Chitarra pasta with bacon & soft poached eggs are all items we'd order again & again. Can't wait to go again or read reviews of others that experienced Madera Kitchen.Special Features:
- What a find!LisaVIPDined on 7/14/2014Fabulous food and wonderful decor. Absolutely worth visiting. This place is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful space, excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 7/5/2014We discovered this great new option for a post-Arclight (or pre-Pantages) dinner. Beautifully designed patio space, well-executed market-driven food, creative crafted cocktails, we were completely impressed and will definitely be back. They offer a nice selection of small plates and large plates, with generous portions designed for sharing. One large plate plus sides would split nicely for two people having dinner. We recommend the roasted carrots and kale on thyme-infused yogurt and the quinoa salad, both of which were delicious and featured very fresh ingredients and flavors. For entrees, we had the marvelously soft and juicy slow-cooked pork, and the perfectly cooked skirt steak with chimichurri and sunchokes.Special Features:
- Taste buds galoreOzner101Dined on 6/22/2014I've liked everything I've had so far... It's all been great, full of flavor that make your taste buds go into overdrive... Even the house drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Space but just ok diningRILEYVIPDined on 6/9/2014Madera opened up in my neighborhood a few months ago and we have been dying to try it out. It is a beautiful space and has been a welcomed substitute for the seedy nightclub that was there. When we finally went for dinner we found it rather lackluster. First, our waiter was a bit of an absent-minded ditz. We had to ask every time we wanted more water and to get share plates for the appetizer. We shared the Quinoa Share plate and loved it. Although they added much more than just a "drizzle" of olive oil, we found this appetizer beautiful and delicious. So we were very excited for the Market Fish, which we both also ordered, and was halibut. We found it very dry, which was surprising considering it was still swimming-in butter.Special Features:
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/27/2014Server nad difficult time recommending something for my gluten free friend. Wine selection poor. Not one single chardonnay by the glass available. Would probably not return.Special Features:
- Fresh and easydogmelonVIPDined on 5/21/2014My wife and I live nearby and are happy to have another option in the hood...so far we have been twice and are choosing to base our review on the first experience...(second time they had an event and were understaffed) She has food allergies, and the kitchen was very accommodating, which is greatly appreciated. Their cuisine is farm to table fresh and delicious, and our server was very friendly. We will be back!Special Features:
- Great potential!HwdfoodieVIPDined on 5/15/2014Madera Kitchen has only been open a few weeks. On a Thursday evening it was pretty quiet. The service was extremely attentive. We tried only the small plates for this first visit--alabacore, quinoa salad, octopus, bitter greens. The first two were excellent (the albacore was thinly sliced and at first seemed underdressed to me until I got a bit of it with the fried capers and then it was perfect) and the second two were average--only two little pieces of octopus on the plate. They didn't have the wine we ordered so we got another one. Their wine list is mostly foreign and is interesting. I would definitely go back as they get their sea legs.Special Features:
- Hot food, tepid serviceGraceAvenueGourmetsDined on 4/25/2014Our second time here. Happy to have a neighborhood restaurant of this calibre. Small plates delicious and varied. Pleasing decor with very nice outdoor area. Service friendly but feckless. I guess they're still working the kinks out. If you want a cup of coffee it has to come from Cafe Solar next door, arriving too late to enjoy with dessert. I really hope they get the service act together. Great potential.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.