621 S Western Ave Suite 100
Los Angeles, CA 90005Neighborhood:
KoreanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bannrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2133842244
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Monday: 11:30am - 3:00pm;
Dinner:Sunday - Monday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Korean
- Executive Chef: Frank Lee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Bann provides a variety of catering services for small and large groups. Options include light hors d'ouevres, buffet and formal dining. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: There are 5 private dining rooms ranging in size. Rooms can accommodate groups of 8, 25 and 40 guests. The upstairs dining room may also be reserved for a private event.
- Private Party Contact: Kevin Jung 2133842244
Exclusive to MaDang 621 is the distinctive style of dining not found in other Korean restaurants. Our rare approach allows diners to participate & interact throughout their meal, stimulating all 5 senses continually. The open kitchen gives guests an exciting look into how their food is being prepared, providing views of blazing fires from the wok or drifting aromas of familiar & exotic scents. Known for authentic Korean barbeque, all tables are fitted with smokeless grills where guests can watch a variety of fresh meats & seafood sizzle and cook to their liking. Fine dining is brought to another level, creating a dynamic experience through sight, sounds, smell, touch &
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
- Extremely disappointingPSILoveFoodVIPDined on 9/17/2014As a Korean-American who knows about Korean food very well, this was the most disappointing dining experience in a long time (or ever). First, the servers were not trained properly. They brought out hot tea in a glass, and at the end of the meal, they brought out Shikhae (Korean dessert drink) in a beer glass. The side-dishes (banchan) were placed on the table in an extremely rude way - the server pretty much threw them on the table.. In terms of cleanliness, although it is a fair new restaurant, it was extremely dirty. The dividers in between the rows had food on them, and the bathroom was extremely dirty. This place is not a good representation of a Korean restaurant.
- Delicious flavors,generous portionszilchikDined on 8/31/2014Although this is not a place to go if you're in a hurry, the food is wonderful and well worth the time it takes to prepare. Staff is very friendly and refills are available on the side dish garnishes. Take advantage of the valet parking because self-parking in the lot is a hassle, especially after 6pm.Special Features:
- Best Dining in KoreatownWineCopDined on 8/27/2014This was our second visit. This time we brought friends. The quality and variety of the entrees and side dishes was excellent. The wine list is small, but contains some excellent choices. We had a very good bottle of St. Supery 2007 Cabernet. Unfortunately, it was the last bottle when we asked for a second. Then our second choice of a Chateau Montelena was also no longer available. We had to go for a third choice, which did not come up to the level of the first wine. . . but cost more. This was the only downside to the experience: Their not maintaining a complete wine inventory, or not updating the wine list appropriately.Special Features:
- My go to place-OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014- with out of town guests. Elegant atmosphere with authentic Korean food that can actually get paired with good cocktails! Food quality (banchan, stew, meat) is high and service is speedy, courteous and to the point. (not the annoying, talkative type of 'my name is so and so and it'll my pleasure...) They have private rooms that I always ask for when we have out of town family guest members.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2014Delicious! MaDang's seafood pankcake was very tasty. We tried the bulgogi and the short ribs. Both were very good. We could not decide which one we liked more. We also tried the snow ice. The others diners were hesitant at first, but this one was so much better than other snow ices we've tried...and we ended up eating all of it. Our server was extremely attentive! We are used to having to cook the food ourselves (which is kind of fun); but every time one of us at the table picked up the tongs to move the food around, our server magically appeared instantly to help. Though it looked quite busy that night, our server was friendly and there was no lag in our receiving our courses. We had a great experience.Special Features:
- Good restaurant for familyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Good and clean environment. Our waitress is courteous and patient. Personally, I wish there were more choices of pork.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In-Laws Favoritelove2dineDined on 6/15/2014We took my In-Laws to dinner for father's day and this is one of their favorite places to go for a treat. The food is authentic and very good. We like to share the BBQ #3. They cook the beef (Kobe) and seafood at your table, after delivering salad, kimchee and several other cold items. They have a nice but not extensive wine list (wines by the glass are mediocre at best), and a full bar with many fun cocktail selections.Special Features:
- Kam Sam ni daOinkerVIPDined on 5/28/2014MaDang621 was a classy and sophisticated Korean restaurant that blends traditional with modern twists. Service was excellent to us non-Korean speaking diners. We felt comfortable and "pampered" as our food came out from the kitchen, fast and furiously. From appetizer to entrees, the flavors were fresh and balanced. Each dish was presented artfully. There were grills on each table but we didn't order BBQ...others around us did and the deliciousness wafted throughout the restaurant. It wasn't smokey and snappy dressed business people didn't object.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 102 reviews are from the MaDang 621 reviews archive.
- The Real DealindzineVIPDined on 4/27/2014My friend and I were attending an event in the area so I wanted to find a convenient place to have dinner. I searched Open Table and found MaDang621. The atmosphere is very nice, open, light and well designed. This is a very authentic Korean restaurant with an unfamiliar menu, we read the dish descriptions and selected some very tasty ones. For an appetizer we shared a delicious vegetarian egg pancake with scallions. They brought us many small bowls filled with interesting, tasty morsels for the table. Lastly, we ordered what the people next to us were eating, a large bowl with rice, lettuce, chicken/beef with a fried egg on top, it came with a side chili sauce and a broth to add. Everything was great, I would highly recommend MaDang621.Special Features:
- food is good. service not so much.kunobabyVIPDined on 4/13/2014I ordered #3 $115 special dinner. The quality of the food and presentation was good. However the section we were in felt a bit under staffed. For what we were paying vs. the service, I felt we should be at a lower tier restaurant. If we are not expected to cook our own food, then have sufficient staff on hand to service all the tables. Otherwise we are watching our food get over cooked wondering if we are to do something about it or not.
- Great All-AroundCharlieDined on 3/18/2014Good option if you want good Korean BBQ but don't want to be surrounded by huge groups. Ambiance is fantastic.Special Features:
- Good for non-AYCEersMimiVIPDined on 2/1/2014I'm 40's and too old for AYCE. This place has good quality meat and side dishes, which I really need. Service is a little slow and you might have to push a request button at the table. I am not a big fan of their salmon, which was too fishy and smelly but I think you won't get disappointed with any meat and soup.Special Features:
- Love this PlaceAHHHDined on 11/10/2013Waiter is very friendly and this is a kid-friendly place with good food for the whole family. We all like the modern interior decor and quiet in this restaurant. They also have a party room for a big group. We will definitely go back more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique experience!TasmanVIPDined on 10/26/2013Everything we had was unique and interesting, don't be in a rush because this is meant to be enjoyed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just so, so.KaikaiDined on 10/19/2013After reading reviews in social media, I was prepared what to expect. Ambiance and setting are very good. Asthetically pleasing but the food was no match. Meat quality could be better for what we paid. Kobe beef pieces were tough and too fatty. The best part of the dinner was seafood pancake appetizer and the steamed egg dish. Others are o.k. but not outstanding.
- tiny portions!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/5/2013seriously small portions here especially given the high price. also, understaffed resulting in slow service. servers are fine but there aren't enough of them. those call bells on the tables don't do anything.
- high- end Korean restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2013This is very spacious, modern, friendly service. But, the food is not good craving. i wished i had more delicious food.Special Features:
- Upscale KoreanOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2013The most expensive upscale Korean restaurant in town. Lunch is a bargain if you are on a budget. For dinner, I only go when on my company's dime. Great for business meetings or special occasions since they have private rooms of all sizes andyou can even reserve the bar or outdoor lounge. Service should be better and more attentive at these prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this time aroundHappyVIPDined on 8/27/2013We usually love this place but this time everything was only so-so. The summer bbq main portion was good but the banchan selection wasn't that great. The one thing we liked was out when we requested a refill. The steamed egg was not light and fluffy like we're used to having (maybe it never was?), the service was adequate but not upbeat. The server obviously wasn't happy to be there and I don't blame her as she had the whole section to do herself. Overall, not the experience we are used to having there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Posh KBBQGreatVIPDined on 8/20/2013An associate txt me to meet her for Korean BBQ. I had been to MaDang with my Father a few months ago and knowing this person was a bit of a wine snob and remember the large wine selection i chose MaDang. We were not disappointed, She, being Korean was at home ordering and cooking. The quality of meats and accessories were delectable and the pace of service was perfect. I always have enjoyed the modern feel of MaDang and sitting on the patio waiting for your table is always a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only Fair Service on this Occasion.RicRacerVIPDined on 8/17/2013In the past, food and service at MaDang have been very good. We love the food, and have always been treated well by the staff. On this occasion, we had a group of seven and two grills, and we ordered six dishes (several starters), on top of two orders of the grill specials, along with additional shrimp to grill. All the food arrived at the same time, the server put the fish and meat on the grill at once, and disappeared. They normally put fish on first, and change grills before changing to meat. That didn't happen. We felt ignored by the server, and it makes us wonder if we will return. Based on our previous good experiences, we will probably try again, but this was a disappointing visit, even though the food was still delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation & Not reserved tableBruceDined on 7/26/2013It was my birthday dinner with my family on July 26. I have made a reservation at 8:00 by online but there was no table reserved for me. We had to wait about 20 minutes to get a table. I will post negative reviews on other internet site too. Not recommend to friends.
- A SPECIAL EXPERIENCEfoodiesuzDined on 6/29/2013The decor and design is quite nice. The food preparation is well done and the aromas whet the appetite. The food is modern Korean style but unlike many new Korean BBQ restaurants it is NOT spicy unless you request it to be. We have been very disapointed in some of our experiences to be served food we simply couldn't eat- after requesting that it be mild. I have traveled to Korea many years and never had that experience there- even the Kimchee was tasty and pleasant to eat. the service was warm, happy and adept. We will go again.Special Features:
- USED TO REALLY LOVE THEIRspritzVIPDined on 6/13/2013USED TO REALLY LOVE THEIR FOOD. kEY WORD "USED TO". APPARENTLY HAS CHANGED OWNERS. CHEF????i WENT THERE SPECIFALLY FOR THE COD. iT WAS PREPARED ENTIRELY DIFFERENTLY AND HAD SOGGY TURNIPS IN THE MIX. THE COD WAS CHUNKS RATHER THAN THICK FILETS AND WAS VERY SKIMPY FOR A WHOPPING $30.00. tHE ONLY REASON THEY GOT DESCENT RATINGS FROM ME WAS THE OTHER FOOD WAS QUITE GOOD ESPECIALLY THE VEGETARIAN CREPE PANCAKE, FILET MIGNON KOREAN BBQ VERY GOOD. SIDE DISHES SALADS.KIMCHEE ETC WERE GREAT BUT NOT AS EXOTIC AS BEFORE.Special Features:
- A nice koreanNaotanDined on 6/11/2013Very nice service and friendly atmosphere but some foods we ordered from their menu missed and we had to give up some of those.Special Features:
- Love the BBQ Special!HappyVIPDined on 5/24/2013We just love this place and the BBQ special is a great deal. The banchan keeps improving and the variety changes a bit which is good when you come frequently. Our fav is the steamed egg-not sure if this comes only with the BBQ special though. The meats are always tender and the salmon and scallops where delice too! The only bad thing is that they need to hire more servers as they are always busy and not as attentive as they should be. Not their fault though and not a really a problem since we are pros at cooking our own food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to like it!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/12/2013Madang 621, which used to be "Bann", was mediocre at best. Service was not cheerful -not one smile or pleasantry, one of the servers spilled a drink on one of us, and we kept hearing other workers at the restaurant dropping and breaking dishes. The food was not good - I ordered dumpling soup and the broth and dumplings tasted like what you would get if you got it from a package at a korean market. The "$30 Kalbi" meal was a few chunks of tough meat on a tiny personal pan on top of a candle. I have never seen Kalbi taste this way or served this way in a Korean restaurant. I have been to this restaurant for lunch and the lunch specials are actually pretty good, so I will only be coming back for lunch.Special Features:
- Great serviceDeeanDined on 5/7/2013Loved the experience. Experienced servers helped with the barbecue and the options were plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a upscale Korean BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/17/2013This is a upscale Korean BBQ restaurant in a very clean Korean mall. The hostess was very nice and accommodating for our party and the food was great. Unfortunately we did not get a bottle of bubbly even though it was my birthday.Special Features:
- Great Food....but very poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/8/2013Very poor service...but the food was great...I hope they can improve their service. I noticed they have good service for fellow Koreans. Is it racism? I hope not...
- Delicious DealHappyVIPDined on 3/5/2013We had the BBQ special where you get a complete meal for 3-4 plus some special banchan and beer/soju. Saved us from having to select our own stuff. Along with one appetizer, it was more than enough food for the 4 of us. We never had scallops or salmon on the grill before, so it was a good change of pace from the meats. The salmon was very moist and flaky (it was the same as the sashimi version). The upscale decor adds to the mood and the only downside was the noisy child next door. At least they were more in the back side and gone midway through our meal.Special Features:
- First of all, getting freeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/9/2012First of all, getting free parking in Koreatown is a big plus. Even for a Korean-American like myself, the food is excellent; the modern decor and English speaking wait staff is a big plus for non Korean speakers.Special Features:
- Wonderful food. Lovely attentive,MurielDined on 12/1/2012Wonderful food. Lovely attentive, helpful service. Special occasion atmosphere. Totally enjoyable.Special Features:
- Needs staff retrainingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/22/2012Unprofessional staffs, food was dried up. Some of our Food order didn't even make it to the kitchen but staffs didn't even bother to apologize. I would think twice before returning because this was my third try and been disappointed all three times.Special Features:
- Food and Ambiance is nice. HostOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/30/2012Food and Ambiance is nice. Host and hostess can be stubborn.
- This was our first time makingDissapointedVIPDined on 10/27/2012This was our first time making a reservation for dinner in LA. Ma Dang 621 exceeded our expectations. The service was friendly and very helpful. Our servers Jason and his co-worker were very patient with us while we waited for our guest to join us. We would go back again when we visit LA. We loved the atmosphere of the resturant.Special Features:
- don't eat herefoodieLAVIPDined on 10/19/2012if i make a reservation on open table, you should honor it. the fact that you have a lot of walk ins and a lot of clients that make reservations over the phone should not take precedence over internet reservations. you should hold a table for internet reservations. otherwise, you should cease to accept internet reservations. your attitude towards me that i should accept your way of doing things or take my business elsewhere has convinced me- i will never set foot in your restaurant again.
- Great place to eat beforecherrypickVIPDined on 10/12/2012Great place to eat before a concert at the Wiltern....they add great condiments to your main dish.Special Features:
- Clean, odorless Korean BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2012Clean, odorless Korean BBQ with high quality meat selections & great ambiance. Recommended for big groups dining. Free parking available.Special Features:
- Lunch rush = spotty serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/9/2012Lunch rush = spotty service in the sense that they are busy, not that the service is otherwise bad. Extremely courteous and knowledgable bilingual staff but they should hire an extra waiter or 2 for the lunch rush.Special Features: