Saint Louis, MO 63105Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://madtomatostl.com/
- Phone: 3149325733
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Vito Racanelli Jr.
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Mad Tomato
At Mad Tomato we believe in creating one meal at a time. The rituals of farming, preparing and serving food are that of generations and we will continue those traditions. We support local, organic farmers and a sustainable society. All proteins and seafood are anti-biotic and hormone-free and never endanger our environment. We strive to operate our business with the smallest carbon footprint. We believe in the planets future and want to do our part to live green.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mad Tomato reviews from OpenTable diners
- A Clayton FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2013My family and I have eaten here several times and always enjoy the food--and wine. Great selection of pizza toppings--fresh ingredients. The roasted beets and spinach "side dish" is so good it will make you cry. Ambience: clean, modern and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for locavoresLocavoreDined on 6/26/2013Mad Tomato sources foods from within the local area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is Great Service OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/25/2013Have been to Mad Tomato before and loved the food, same goes for this time except they got rid of the lobster ravoli which was awesome. The place was not very busy and our food and server seemed to go missing at times. When we did track them down, we order things ASAP b/c we knew it would be a while before he came back. We each had 3 glasses of wine a piece and not once did the server offer us a bottle of wine, so we spent $90 on wine only. He did change at the end but I had to say something about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2013What a great fine! Tucked into a little corner slot in "downtown" Clayton - a fantastic Italian meal! House-made pasta and pizza, a sturdy wine list built on a broad selection of Italian wines, strong local sourcing of ingredients, amazing house-made sausage, creative menu and special specials, but most important of all - DELICIOUS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Menu!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2013No menu options and they call themselves an italian restaurant?? They will be out of business pretty soon....
- Great Dining ExperienceDebTDined on 5/4/2013The service and food were outstanding. I would highly recommend this restaurant. We were there for about three hours and never felt rushed. Our waiter was terrific.Special Features:
- Keeps getting betterOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/3/2013Casual corner place in Clayton with easy parking with really delicious food. Always something new to try plus old favorites like Nonna's eggplant. Excellent pizza and great fish. Chicken under a brick and the veal chop are other terrific dishes. We keep going back to this one.Special Features:
- Great gemLuvtoeatDined on 4/30/2013Was so surprised at the service and quality of food at Mad Tomato. We met our kids on Wednesday and sat outside. We really enjoyed the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service and atmosphere.EatoutoftenVIPDined on 4/26/2013Very welcoming and cozy atmosphere (almost felt like we were back in Italy), and wonderful food. Our server (John?) was fantastic!! Everything tasted wonderful, especially the beets and greens salad, margarita pizza and strawberry rhubarb cobbler! Highly recommended; we're definitely returning.Special Features:
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013Loved loved loved everything about our experience!Special Features:
- Excellent service and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2013Excellent service and food. Their walleye special was probably the best I have ever had and I spend a considerable amount of time in Minnesota where walleye might as well be the state dish.Special Features:
- Always very enjoyable! SwordfishOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Always very enjoyable! Swordfish special was awesome!Special Features:
- Our party of four was runningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013Our party of four was running late for our 7:30 pm reservation (theater production ran 15 minutes longer than anticipated). We called and let the restaurant know we would be a few minutes late, and they were very gracious to us. Great food, nice atmosphere; I had read online that portions were small but our party (two men and two women) did not find that to be true. We will be back!Special Features:
- Nice place. People friendly.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2013Nice place. People friendly. We ordered two specialities at the suggestion of wait person. Bothe dishes were a bit bland and sauce was runny. I believe it could have been better, (bad night for chef) ? Might try again .
- Great menu and service withOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013Great menu and service with European ambiance. Wait staff is warm and helpful without being smothering. Nice selection of classic Italian dishes but a number of items with just enough twist to make it interesting. Overall, very well done.Special Features:
- a great findOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/22/2013Loved this! A great Slow Food find, the food was great and ambience lovely; not too dark, not too bright. We shared a margherita pizza and the toasted ravioli special as appetizers and they were very good.The tomatos truly are mad; they have the most amazing flavor. My main course was the scerzo - a homemade noodle with sausage and shrimp - it was excellent. Slightly pricy, but worth every penny. Will definitely recommend to others and come back for more.Special Features:
- Bad TomatoPhantomdinerVIPDined on 2/16/2013Had a reservation. Was told to have a seat at the bar when the restaurant was half empty. Was solicited by a charity while eating. Appetizers came separately because there a=was a delay on the cheese - really?! Has a pasta, sausage and shrimp dish that was in a white sauce. No one bothered to take the tails off the shrimp. What a mess. My wife had a mushroom pizza which was not quite up to institutional quality. The waiter was very good.
- Always delicious, we haveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/15/2013Always delicious, we have dined here many times. We took friends who had never been before and they were equally impressed. All of our meals were outstanding and we are happy the toasted ravioli are now a permanent appetizer. These are not your typical St. Louis style toasted ravioli. The dough is handmade and the fillings are inventive - not to be passed up!Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2013Excellent food! A great little spot a little off the center of Clayton, great find.Special Features:
- The Happy TomatoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013I had been wanting to dine at The Mad Tomato since I got a sample of their Lobster Ravioli at the Private Tasting event last summer. The food was amazing! We came for valentines day and the menu and our waitress was awesome. I believe her name was Melanie. It is a great spot for dates or just having wine with your girlfriends. I cannot wait to go back to try their pizza.Special Features:
- Our biggest gripe with thisOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Our biggest gripe with this place: location! We'd love it in Lafayette Square. :) Thing is, you'll never find it if you're not looking for it, which is too bad, as the food is great. Our server was wonderful, also.Special Features:
- A Cozy Italian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013This is my new favorite Italian restaurant. The service makes you feel like you are part of the family. The food was "to die for." There is not a lot of space, but it was a cozy environment. The only thing I would change would be the tables and chairs; they were a bit uncomfortable. I can't wait to come back, but it is not an every weekend restaurant just special occasions.Special Features:
- Every dish a winner. Bright,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/2/2013Every dish a winner. Bright, energetic service. The waitress was attentive and very knowledgable about each dish. Highly reasonable prices for the quality and quantity of the food.Special Features:
- This was my 2nd visit & IOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/1/2013This was my 2nd visit & I was a tad disappointed. Waiter was great. Loved that they had sweetbreads on the menu & they were quite yummy. I decided to try to pork ragu - wasn't happy with it - traded for the pork that a friend ordered & she wasn't happy with it - I liked the pork better, but we both expected a chop by the way the waiter described it - not a pounded, fried pork tenderloin. My other 2 friends ordered specials of the day & there dishes were by far the best. One was fish the other squid ink pasta w/scallops - both were outstanding. I'll try another time, but thinking I'll stick to specials.Special Features:
- THis is a nice neighborhoodRambdaVIPDined on 1/29/2013THis is a nice neighborhood restaurant. It is quiet and the service was great. The lobster ravioli is amazing.
- food was very good - reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/25/2013food was very good - really enjoyed the lobster ravioli & the spinach salad - definitely going back as rest of menu also looked good. Wine list could use some work - a bit pricy for what you get, but that's the only real negative.Special Features:
- Almost ExcellentWesCDined on 1/25/2013We went during Clayton Restaurant week. One of the entrees -- lamb shank over home-made carrot pasta -- was outstanding. The other -- lobster ravioli -- was okay. It needed either more lobster in the ravioli, or more ravioli. Side dishes, particularly flash-fried spinach with lemon and parmesan, were excellent, as were the spinach salads. The tiramisu for dessert was nothing special. Here's a suggestion to chef Vito Racanelli: hold your kitchen staff to the same high standards as you hold yourself. Had the lobster ravioli and tiramisu, Restaurant Week items I'll guess were prepared by a staff member, been as good as the lamb shank and home-made pasta (which I think he prepared), I could have given the fifth star.Special Features:
- Mad Tomato ReviewBassoDined on 1/25/2013Mad Tomato nestled in Clayton is a fun little bistro. Our experience was pretty good, but it was mainly due to the great service (thanks John and staff)and our company. As far as the food the flash fried spinach was incredible, the rest of our meal was OK. The eggplant parmesan was a little lacking in taste and the flounder was good, but a small portion and I could not taste the truffle butter at all. Our guest had a chicken dish that was decent(somewhat bland). Desert (house made) was great! The total bill for 3 people with 2 glasses of wine (not two per person - two total) was $114 ($134 with tip). This is not horrible, but I would be hard pressed to frequent Mad Tomato. I do think you should give it a try and see what you think.Special Features:
- Have been to Mad Tomato aOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/23/2013Have been to Mad Tomato a couple of times. Always try something different. Tried the 'Hunters Chicken" as I have prepared this myself at home. Usually I have green peppers,onions and whole tomatoes along with bone in chicken pieces. I was a bit underwhelmed by this offering as it is not a difficult entree to prepare. It was rather tomato saucy with few veggies and spices were absent. Other parts of the meal were very nice. The flash fried calamari and the house made tiramisu were pretty good. Had a nice bottle of wine as a suggestion from our server.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/10/2013Mad Tomato is a corner gem found in Clayton Missouri. The casual environment is inviting, which enables one to relax and feel at home. However the food is nothing like you can make at home. The menu has a variety of choices that will sure to please any pallet. The portions are just enough to fill you up but not heavy like traditional Italian cuisine. If you decide to take this experience be sure to end it with an order of chocolate walnut torte with the salted caramel ice cream. We cannot wait until our next experience at Mad Tomato!Special Features:
- The service was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012The service was excellent as usual. We have been there many times before and will definitely be back. Hidden gem for a nice new new years eve dinner!!Special Features:
- fun, warm, inviting. TriedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012fun, warm, inviting. Tried lots of dishes, pizza, eggplant, veal & pasta. All excellent.However at 7:30 on a Sat nite they were out of a few appetizers we wanted to try. Would go back. Nice to go with a group so we could share.Special Features:
- What a gem! We enjoyed a romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/15/2012What a gem! We enjoyed a romantic night out. The service was particularly good.Special Features:
- There was almost no in theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/13/2012There was almost no in the restaurant and we had made reservations, but service was incredibly slow with one person having to leave right after the food came to the table, about an hour after arriving. I had been there once before and it was much busier and the service was great. No explanation was given and since I was the hostess for the group, it was embarrassing.
- always a treat. fantasticDB006VIPDined on 12/8/2012always a treat. fantastic appetizers, great wines, modern Italian with a taste for local and fresh produceSpecial Features:
- Maybe just a one-night flukeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2012Food delicious with a nice ambiance but everything took way too long. Ordered desert and hot water with lemon at the end of meal when restaurant was nearly empty and that took 25 mins. Only think that came quickly was the processing of our bill..
- We liked that the food wasStLouisFanVIPDined on 12/7/2012We liked that the food was locally sourced and much of it was msde in house. We look forward to trying it again next spring and summer when there are more fresh fruits and vegetables available. It's pretty loud, so I wouldn't go there for a nice romantic dinner, but it's a good meal.Special Features:
- This is my second time enjoyingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2012This is my second time enjoying mad tomato. And im still in love with it. I recommend the eggplant, the lasagna and butternut squash!Special Features:
- Fabulous food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2012This was my second visit to Mad Tomato and it did not disappoint. The food is excellent and the service was the same. Only one complaint: the noise level was so high that our table of four had a hard time hearing each other. I had to lean across the table to hear the person directly opposite me. I'm assuming that was due to the lack of any sound-reducing material on the ceiling. It would not stop me from coming again, though. I love this place!Special Features:
- We thoroughly enjoyed ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2012We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at Mad Tomato! Because it was Halloween, we wanted to get out of the house and away from trick or treaters. Our food was outstanding and the waitstaff was attentive and friendly.Special Features: