Mad Fox Brewing Company
444 West Broad Street
Falls Church, VA 22046Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Mad Fox Brewing Company
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://madfoxbrewing.com/
- Phone: (703) 942-6840
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am,
Sunday: 10:00am - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch
- Special Events: Visit our website or Facebook page to see our upcoming events including Tuesday Growler Promotions, Cask and Barrel Nights, Glass Giveaway Promotions, beer dinners, special events and more.
A word from Mad Fox Brewing Company
Mad Fox Brewing Company offers a dining experience unique to the Washington, DC, area: upscale casual dining in an English-style gastro brewpub with an emphasis on high-quality food to complement our house-brewed beers. Mad Fox features a chef-driven, seasonal menu and frequent specials including pizza, panini, salads and vegetarian friendly foods; fresh, locally grown seasonal produce, cheeses and other ingredients; locally raised lamb, bison, beef, chicken and game; and house-cured meats. Mad Fox has a 63-foot long bar showcasing our seven to ten standard, house-brewed beers on tap as well as a rotating selection of seasonal brews in German, English, Belgian and American styles. Also, don’t miss our cask conditioned proper Real Ales served through water jacketed Angram beer engines, ensuring that every pint is served at properly conditioned cellar temperatures.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mad Fox Brewing Company reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (33)fit for foodies (27)vibrant bar scene (27)great for outdoor dining (20)kid-friendly (19)great for lunch (18)hot spot (11)late-night find (10)special occasion (9)great for brunch (7)romantic (4)notable wine list (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Only the beer did not disappointmharvey816VIPDined on 11/22/2014Mad Fox on a Saturday night before 8pm is a madhouse of free range children and scrambling servers. On this particular night, they were out of their excellent fried chicken so we settled respectively for a ribeye steak and burger with crispy bacon. Whatever the cut of beef was, it was not a ribeye. Neither was it medium rare as requested, but rather medium on its way to medium well. As for the burger, its crispy bacon was anything but, and the rest of it was more grease than beef. But the worst part of the evening was being seated at a table only a few feet away from the corner drink station in the main dining room. If we'd known that the next 90 minutes there would mean constantly having both busy servers and other patrons nearly tripping into us as they attempted to maneuver the narrow path between our table and a giant pillar to get to where up to 8 servers were milling around at any given moment, we would have just finished our drinks and not pressed our luck with dinner. As it was, that's why we didn't bother to get our entree issues resolved, because neither of us wanted to spend one minute more there than we had to at that point. I'm sure if we'd been able to just drink at the bar on a weeknight when they weren't out of fried chicken that we would have had a better experience. But I can't recommend this restaurant on a Saturday night before 8pm at all.Special Features:
- Very comfortable place but burgers are averageYhippaVIPDined on 11/19/2014The place feels very comfortable when you go inside. There's lots of wood and the dim (but not dark) lighting makes it feel like you're at an old friend's house. I had the Orange Whip IPA and felt it had a good balance between a fruity taste and being hoppy. For an appetizer we got the Frickles which were fried but not greasy or oily and had a bit of spice to it. The beer selection was good. We all ordered burgers and were all pretty indifferent about them. They all looked kind of flat and the presentation was very average. I ordered the Mad Fox Burger an it seemed like any other burger I could get from a fast-food restaurant but thicker. I couldn't really detect all of the ingredients and sauces on the burger. I can't recommend this place yet. I will have to go back and try the wings and pizza. Another table got those and they looked appealing.
- Never a bad mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014As always, excellent pizza and great beer. Orange whip was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Brewpub/Gastropub/MicrobrewgrtrxVIPDined on 11/15/2014Was looking for something other than Gordon Biersch in the area and found this via a google search. Worked the menu as small plates, really enjoyed the mussels and the rockfish. IPA's are very hoppy (kind of the trend these days to push the hops out there). To me the best beers were those working the maltiness - Kolsch adn unfiltered Kolsch a great chnace to try a beer two ways. I would go back, service was very good, attentive without being cloying. Will go back next time I'm in the areaI would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerJamesDined on 11/10/2014Food was good. Beer was good. The service was a little slow but not really a problem. If they maybe included a few outside taps to offset having a heavy IPA beer selection that would be cool. Overall a good brewery and worth going back.
- A FavoriteMikeVIPDined on 11/8/2014We eat here as often as we can. The beer is great and the food is even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time I've not enjoyed hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014I really like Mad Fox and I guess I had never been on a Saturday night -- it is always lively but the noise was deafening, we had to ask for a waiter and were seated next to a large noisy group with children who were "animated" - I was introducing a friend to the restaurant and I fear it did not make a great impression. The waiter was overwhelmed with several large parties and we understood the problem. It was just not an enjoyable meal. I have had much better experiences there and will simply avoid peak times like Saturday night in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect family Friday nightBizlunchmanVIPDined on 10/17/2014Brought my two girls (6 & 9) to Mad Fox for a Friday night date. Despite initial skepticism that a date would involve kissing & marriage, the girls had a great time, especially enjoying kids meals that included pizza, hamburgers, and in house brewed root beer. Daddy enjoyed a beer sampler and perfectly cooked ribeye, plus a growler fill! My six year old summed it up best when I asked her if she'd go on another date with me -- "every Friday." Guess we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Great ServicePaperPillsDined on 10/17/2014Went here for dinner before a show at the Patriot Center and loved it. We made reservations a half hour in advance and were seated right away. The staff was super-friendly and attentive, offering drink suggestions and even tastings before we committed to a beer choice (I recommend the Punkinator during fall). Burgers and fries were great. Several families around us had kids, and the staff treated them wonderfully. One server even brought a small serving of free ice cream for a child who broke accidentally broke a glass. Nice touch! We'll definitely return to this spot.Special Features:
- MrandMrsHVIPDined on 10/16/2014Amazing one of the best brewery restaurants in Virginia and Maryland. Highly recommended for great food and great beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just had dinnerSklarVIPDined on 10/12/2014Food was great. Service was good. Onion soup was great (but not hot). But overall a good experience, professional and friendly staff, good ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Better BeerHungryDined on 10/12/2014Good atmosphere, service, prices, and food. Wide variety of food. Excellent beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beer.LeeLeeVIPDined on 10/4/2014Great Beer. Food is so so. Service is so so. But the beer is great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and beerLocalbeerfinderDined on 10/4/2014Good food and beer was better. Nice kids menu, and is loud enough to help drown out your kids noise. I would recommend the piercing pils beer, it's very good and hard to find a good Pilsner beer on tap at local breweries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat disappointed...AcoteDined on 10/2/2014I went to Mad Fox a few months ago with a friend for a Sunday brew tour and drinks and loved it. We stayed for about 5 hours and did not want to leave. However, when I took my wife last night it was quite the opposite. We ordered water before our beer (my wife asked for lemon which was not delivered) and it was warm tap water. The beer was fantastic when it came out, however we ordered the muscles (which were equally delicious as the beer) and our dinner meal was brought out 2 minutes later not allowing us to finish our appetizer. My wife ordered the gluten free pizza and we noticed they did not charge us the extra 2 dollars for the change in crust. However, we found after a bad day after it was because they served her the wrong pizza.
- Great BeersOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014Great selection of beers and lots of interesting food choices. I will be going back!Special Features:
- DownhillRavensVIPDined on 9/19/2014Disappointing, they must have changed chefs again. Flavorless ribs, flavorless gazpacho, flavorless fried chicken. the bitterballen and beer are still good.Special Features:
- Good beer at least....RichDined on 9/13/2014Excellent beer. The food. Wow.... so downhill... The shrimp dinner salad with champagne vinaigrette, instead slathered with some creamy ranch like thing... Couple of romaine heads, a few shrimp, really lousy.... Front staff uninterested. Waiter could not speak above the dining room sound. "I'm sorry we cannot hear you ****7. Sad. Used to be a favorite place... Guess I will just fill up growlers on Tuesdays...
- Limited Menu, Great BeerNew2VADined on 9/11/2014The dinner menu was brief, we both tried the (petite) Ribeye special with wilted spinach and potato cake. The Saison was delicious. We will definitely come here again, and next time bring the dog and sit outside on the patio.Special Features:
- LindsDined on 9/4/2014Beers were great and the sampler had good sized portions. Food was excellent! Overall we had a great experience, but I took off one star because our server was a bit odd. He gave good service for the most part (although we were all out of waters by the time the check came), but he had a weird attitude, like he resented having to be there. There were a few backhanded comments that gave us a weird vibe. Otherwise an overall great restaurant with good quality beers.Special Features:
- Burgers are the bomb!DebEVIPDined on 8/30/2014Had great burgers and great beer! Calamari appetizer was delicious, too. It was a bit too dark in the area where we sat and would've been a lot louder if the place was full. Never disappointing. Super attentive server.Special Features:
- PittfanDined on 8/16/2014Craft brews were great, excellent burgers, good service.Special Features:
- More a pub than a great restaurantLookingForGreatPlacesDined on 8/7/2014We met some friends the other night. Even though we requested a table away from the bar area (and there were plenty of tables away from the bar) our friends were put into a booth near the bar. The food was average, service okay, but the place was way too noisy for a non-yelling conversation. If you're there to drink a lot, hey, great. For wonderful food and conversation, not so great. If 2 1/2 stars had been an option, that would have been my choice for a rating. A bit overpriced for what's there.
- Great for Cask Conditioned BeerdaginvaDined on 8/2/2014This brewpub always has a selection of their own excellent beers available on cask.
- I was here for the beer!FootsDined on 8/1/2014A sampler of four, well made, high quality ales made for a wonderful National IPA Day celebration. I was a very hoppy camper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 424 reviews are from the Mad Fox Brewing Company reviews archive.
- Flight CheckHungryDined on 7/27/2014We enjoyed 3 flights of amazing craft brews (and excellent food to accompany the beer).Special Features:
- Not sure I'll returnOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/17/2014Service was so-so, then we're out of two of the drinks our table ordered, and they wouldn't seat us at the table we reserved because they said they did not have enough staff working. Lame.
- Great pizza, great beerKlarkKhentDined on 7/12/2014The pizza is outstanding -- well-made crusts and good toppings. The beer was very good, focusing on British and American styles.Special Features:
- Bro BrunchRanger025Dined on 7/7/2014Stopped in with my bud for early lunch. The atmosphere was easy and the wait staff very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Drink!ButterburDined on 7/3/2014Ever since I was introduced to Mad Fox Brewing Company, I have loved their food, drink and service! They are about to celebrate their fourth anniversary and they know how to celebrate: give-aways, tappings, live band and more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service decliningregularDined on 6/28/2014this is one of our favorite neighborhood dinner bars, but the last couple of times visiting Mad Fox have been disappointments with service and food. Two entrees had incorrect side dishes this time, and drinks did not get replaced in a timely way. Also, the menu has been reduced to pizza, a few expensive entrees and hamburgers for the most part, which leaves fewer choices for dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodCitizenNomadVIPDined on 6/18/2014One of my go to spots for food and beer. What else do you need in life?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big FindMinkadinkDined on 6/15/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday, and even though it took us over an hour to drive here, we're definitely going back as often as possible. Wonderful food, perfect portions, outstanding service, and a fun place to be. Prices are fair. Get the doughnuts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant patio diningMcCoolDined on 6/15/2014Mad Fox is conveniently located in Falls Church on highway 7 but my family's last visit was from the W&OD bike trail. It is a great stop after a long (or short) bike ride.Special Features:
- Perfect!AlwaysLookingForAFindDined on 6/14/2014This made us feel like we were back in Europe, except on a much larger scale! Atmosphere was great, food was delicious, and the beer......Perfect! We wish you were down the street instead of over 30 mins away. Turkey burger was cooked.....Perfect and remained juicy and flavorful. Our son enjoyed the Butcher Block pizza, it reminded him of all the European pizzas he had eaten. And the Trout......Perfect! Our server was friendly and attentive. She knew we wanted to watch the soccer match, so she gave us our space and let us tell her when we were ready.....Perfect!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/13/2014Front desk was new. Wanted to sit my two-person party next to a large group (15). Had to ask to be seated at other end of restaurant. Then put us at table set up for six. (three tables side by side). I separated one off to the side to make it more condusive for dining. More training is in order.Special Features:
- great place to meet old friendswolfgirlDined on 6/12/2014I picked this based on others recommendations. It was a great place to get reacquainted with an old friend with a really nice atmosphere and noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early Father's Day brunchDadsdayDined on 6/8/2014Enjoyed the brunch and an "early" afternoon taste of some of the beverages. Atmosphere is well done and while the brunch menu is certainly "non-traditional", it's unique takes on some regular dishes was done quite well. Enjoyable and reasonably priced. We enjoyed it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gastropub!!JEFFREYSANDined on 6/7/2014Awesome beer, and the food is equally excellent!! Amazing pizzas, burgers and sandwiches, which pairs perfectly with thier awesome, in-house brewed beer!Special Features:
- Good atmospherehaochiDined on 6/6/2014Our waiter was fun and attentive. The food was pretty good and the atmosphere was upbeat and lively. It's a little noisy but only to be expected in a pub. The beer is the thing and it was excellent.Special Features: