Mad Dog & Beans Mexican Cantina
83 Pearl Street
New York, NY 10004Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Mad Dog & Beans Mexican Cantina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maddogandbeans.com/
- Phone: (212) 269-1177
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: Mad Dog & Beans has a second floor that is used daily. It may also reserved for large groups.
- Private Party Contact: Lauren Guidry 2122691177
- Cross Street: Hanover Square
- Public Transit: 4/5 to Bowling Green 1 to South Ferry R/W to Whitehall Street J/M/Z to Broad Street 2/3 to Wall Street
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: If you can't find parking on one of the near-by streets there is a parking garage directly across from us on Pearl Street.
A word from Mad Dog & Beans Mexican Cantina
Mad Dog & Beans Mexican Cantina is a casual-upscale Mexican restaurant featuring a traditional Mexican menu. The theme is based on the Mexican Revolution. The decor features vintage black-and-white photos of banditos and scenes of Mexico printed on canvas and displayed throughout the restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mad Dog & Beans Mexican Cantina reviews from OpenTable diners
- DeafeningPhilipDeVIPDined on 4/23/2014Mad Dog & Beans has the makings of an excellent taquilleria. However whoever manages MD&B hasn't decide whether they're running a Mexican-themed hipster bar scene or a quality taquilleria. Food and drinks were more than competent, and the margaritas, made exactly as requested, were excellent. However, whoever designed the menu has a compulsion about drizzling fresh cream (crema fresca) on everything, unless specifically told not to do so. The noise level was simply unacceptable for decent dining, and I had to cup my hands and shout to the waitress to get myself heard. This is the first Mexican restaurant I would recommend for anyone who'd like to damage their hearing.Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/4/2014The taste of the food was Sub-Par, there are plenty of better places to eat Mexican in the city.Special Features:
- Mad about Mad DogMerryDined on 3/8/2014Awesome food and drinks. I return every year for my fix!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good QuacKattsDined on 3/6/2014Met a friend there. We had margaritas, quac, and sliders. All were very good. Service was quick and friendly. Will go backSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable food, awful serviceAshleyVIPDined on 3/4/2014There was no hostess at the hostess booth, and we finally had to track her down, tell her we had a reservation, and watch as she disappeared and didn't come back for 10 minutes. Then she took us upstairs, and realized that no one had cleaned our table. So then she had us awkwardly wait in the upstairs hallway, forgot about us, came back and said "Oops, no one has cleaned it yet," etc. Then we were seated, 25 minutes later...and I had to approach a waiter after 10 more min because no one had so much as said "Hi, I'm your waiter" or "here is some water." The waiter seemed upset that he had to wait our table, and was rude the whole time. In sum: Pretty good food, but WAY overpriced for quality, and I've had better service at a Panera Bread.Special Features:
- Mad dog and beansTime2eatDined on 2/22/2014Food was ok, never been to a Mexican restaurant that didn't serve cheese with their fajitas- had to order it as an extra side. Service was very slow. When we arrived place was pretty empty, server took a while to come over, as restaurant filled our, Our waiter was harder and harder to find. No plans to return any time soon
- Amazing!KimAlexisVIPDined on 2/14/2014Came here for Valentine's day and had a great experience! The food was very tasty! Will be back for sure in the summer to sit outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Closes earlyBrooklynerDined on 2/4/2014While my friend and I had a great time catching up, we were surprised to be ushered out at 9:30pm. We know it's FiDi, but 9:30pm still seems a little early to close for the dinner crowd.Special Features:
- Great mexican food and drinkskkkkkVIPDined on 1/25/2014Great mexican food and drinks in a low key environment!Special Features:
- Loved the rest. it was aliveRitzVIPDined on 1/24/2014Loved the rest. it was alive and DELICOUS! definitely going back...this time for happy hour!Special Features:
- Service was very poor. WouldManhattanGirl4VIPDined on 12/31/2013Service was very poor. Would not come again due to service.Special Features:
- Really good food and drinks!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013Really good food and drinks! Love the ambience and it really is a standout among the other restaurants in the area. The service was pretty bad, however our waitress informed us that another waitress had quit earlier that day leaving her short-staffed, so what can you do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't hear a thing!!JeanVIPDined on 9/1/2013Although the food was very good, it was unbelievably noisy in there. Others said the Sangria was great. It wasn't. They had to remake ours and said that others had complained, as well. This is the kind of place that's fun when you're 20. . . dark, loud, crowded, decent food, strong drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good choice for Cali-MexJreeDined on 8/3/2013My son and I had a very nice dinner here once we got noticed by the hostess and waitresses. It was a busy night and once we got into tasty appetizers and entrees with good Mexican beer all was forgiven. On this weekend night the ambiance was loud and energetic-may be hard to have a conversation. We didn't dine outdoors (in the street!) where there were tables set up for several adjacent restaurants, but it looked like fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/2/2013The food is good, a little on the pricier side. The service was pretty good, but our waitress wasn't all that attentive. Be prepared for it to be loud and dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor area cramped, uncomfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/16/2013I came here with my family on Father's Day hoping to enjoy the nice weather in the outdoor dining area. Unfortunately, it basically consisted of a series of wobbly benches under a tent. The tables were cramped, small and diners shared a table with other parties. The benches had no backs and were very uncomfortable and wobbly. We constantly felt like we were going to fall backwards. For the price of the food here, I would have expected a better experience.Special Features:
- Great food for vegetarians.tyrano421Dined on 6/12/2013Great food for vegetarians. I also recommend trying their blue margarita - delicious and strong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place! Its rightKattDined on 5/29/2013I love this place! Its right right around the corner from work, and I often take my team out there. The food is delicious! Guacamole is very fresh and super quick. If you are into hot and spicy stuff, try the medium guacamole first (can run a bit spicy! and you can always ask for peppers on the side). Chicken chimi and queso are super yum too. Vegetarian quesidilla is very light and a perfect portion! I have a favorite table and till date they've made every attempt they seat me there. During evenings, it can get very busy and you definitely feel the energy. Its got the perfect mexican charm! I would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally!RTDragonflyDined on 5/17/2013Living in central NJ where there is a large Mexican community you would think there would be a decent Mexican restaurant . . . not! Ha So worth the trip to NYC for this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review of Mad Dog and BeansSusanSueDined on 5/17/2013The restaurant is VERY noisy. Often, I had to ask my lunch companion what they were saying since the noise level is high. It is also very dark, as a result you will have a hard time reading the menu and reading your check. The food is good but overpriced.
- The food is beyond good! FlavorMerryDined on 4/13/2013The food is beyond good! Flavor like I've never tasted. The margaritas are the best and they don't shy away with the tequila . My group loved it and we plan to return every year.Special Features:
- Great as always,my go to placeKateSVIPDined on 4/5/2013Great as always,my go to place especially living so close by. From ambiance to good just like good
- My new neighborhood fave!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/27/2013Consistently good and a fun place to catch up with friends. If you order the fajitas, be aware that (1) there is enough in one order for two people and (2) the tables are too small to accommodate all the plates that come with that order. BUT . . . it was GREAT and I'd order it again. Quesadillas are fantastic too! Can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- Avoid the quesadillaAlFrescoVIPDined on 3/5/2013I ate there with a friend for a weekday lunch. We sat upstairs. Only one waiter...he was nice but he just couldn't give any attention (e.g. he never asked how our food was and we had to flag him down to get extra picante). The quesadilla is a TOTAL rip off for $14. Better to get the tacos which come with rice and beans for $14. The guacamole was yummy, but ridiculously expensive at $12. Good chips. It's the FiDi crowd...
- A great place -- at lunch2BrooklynDined on 3/1/2013A great place -- at lunch or after work. Having been there for both occasions, recently, I was very happy with the food and service. The bar scene at night is quite lively, but there is an upstairs dining room which is lovely. A great find!Special Features:
- I was quite happy to discoverOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/5/2013I was quite happy to discover this awesom place. I've already recommended it to a few friends.Special Features:
- Best guacamole downtown andbcd818VIPDined on 9/1/2012Best guacamole downtown and very good food otherwise. I've left the neighborhood but wull continue to come back for Mad Dog and Beans.Special Features:
- It's not authentic mexicanColdfoodDined on 8/24/2012It's not authentic mexican food. Commercial as you can get. Not even a complimentary basket of chips. Overpriced and the food is not great. Convenient near office but would'nt return.
- I went here with three otherOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2012I went here with three other friends. The food was okay/average besides the guacamole. The Guacamole was fantastic. Margarita pitchers are reasonable but I feel there are better places around.Special Features:
- We tried to sit outside youNikkiVIPDined on 7/22/2012We tried to sit outside you are on benches and the person behind you kept elbowing you every time they cut their food. So we moved inside. The waitress took 45 mins to get us water and coffee after I reminded her twice. She only had one other table so it's not like she was too busy. They had other waitresses for the other tables. They must have realized we were very unhappy so they changed waitresses who was so much better. But bc it was a big group, they charged us 20% gratuity like it or not. The food came out and it seemed like it was heated under lamps not cooked fresh. None of ur were happy with the food. The margaritas were fantastic though
- Great food - service is slipping10005GalVIPDined on 7/2/2012I have been here a few times and the food has always been good, but the service really slipped this time around. The first table we were seated at was right near the door so we asked to move upstairs, which the hostess didn't seem to pleased with. When my friend got up from her seat, there was a raised nail on the seat and she got a big pull in her new pants. We told the hostess who said "Oh wow, they will have to fix that seat". No apology. Food was great -- defintely recommend the guacamole. Asked for additional side of pico de gallo. Was told it was an extra charge and by the time it came to the table, I was nearly done with my meal. Will try the place again but hope the service is better next time.Special Features:
- AWFUL. $14 margaritas andMandBVIPDined on 5/21/2012AWFUL. $14 margaritas and chips from a package, salsa from a jar, a tortillas no doubt from the freezer (all of which cost extra). This place (I can't really call it a restaurant) was prpbably the worst Tex-Mex we've ever had the misfortune of trying.
- MediocrephishinthedessertDined on 5/11/2012Overall this place is decent, however the service was slow, and the chicekn tacos I had barely had any meat in it. I was basically paying to eat a $15 iceburg lettuce taco. I will say the little meat I did have was tasty, and the taco sauces and guacamole was very tasty.Special Features:
- The food here was fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/21/2012The food here was fantastic. The guacomole and salsa were delicious! I got the shrimp, onions and peppers quesdilla, which was amazing as well! The margaritas were great, and strong!Special Features:
- We love it here! The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/21/2012We love it here! The food always tastes fresh, the recipes are original (not your everyday tex-mex), and the service is prompt.Special Features:
- It took a long time for theOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/7/2012It took a long time for the waitress to take our order and when she did she did it incorrectly. I did not receive what i had ordered
- Even with a reservation fromOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/9/2012Even with a reservation from Open Table they make you wait. Twice I had to wait over 40 minutes, because they said even with Open Table you need to wait. Very poor service!!!!
- Your first impression is thatMeeshaVIPDined on 3/8/2012Your first impression is that the atmosphere is too chaotic but the staff does a good job of managing the crowd. It is a loud and busy atmosphere with decent Mexican food.Special Features:
- Drinks were excellent...veryOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/1/2012Drinks were excellent...very strong. Music is loud, so it feels more like a bar.Special Features:
- Steal burrito amazing- getOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/16/2012Steal burrito amazing- get the sauces on side though