Mad Batter Restaurant
19 Jackson Street
Cape May, NJ 08204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mad Batter Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://madbatter.com/
- Phone: 6098845970x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast & Lunch: Every Day 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Dinner: from 5 PM
ONLINE RESERVATIONS ARE ACCEPTED FOR DINNER ONLY
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lisa Erdley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Make the Carroll Villa Hotel and Mad Batter Restaurant your choice for special occasions, family reunions, weddings, anniversaries, and rehearsal dinners.
All the wonders and charm of seaside Cape May, plus memorable accommodations and dining, combine to make your party a very special occasion. The Garden Terrace can be enclosed with French doors for heat or air conditioning, or fully opened to the outside garden. The room seats up to 70 guests, or can be divided into 2 smaller areas, each accommodating 35 guests. It is a unique and colorful light-filled retreat with a special charm.
- Private Party Contact: Pam Huber 6098845970x309
- Entertainment: Happy Hour daily 4 - 6 PM.
Live Music every night in season, never a cover charge. Winter schedule live music weekends. Open Mic Night every Sunday night
A word from Mad Batter Restaurant
A Cape May tradition for over 30 years! The nationally acclaimed Mad Batter Restaurant is located at the Carroll Villa Hotel in the heart of the historic district. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts and cocktails are served on the European-style front porch, garden terrace, and sky-lit dining room. Breakfast offerings include fresh squeezed juices, homemade fruit breads, and entrees such as crab benedict, oatmeal pancakes, or orange & almond french toast. Lunch entrees include the Maryland crab cake sandwich, fish & chips, and Waldorf chicken, as well as an assortment of salads. Dinner options are always inventive and the seafood is extraordinary. Entrees include award-winning jumbo lump crab cakes, juicy steaks, chicken and fresh fish specials daily. A sumptuous selection of desserts made daily. The Mad Batter Bar features Happy Hour, twelve beers on tap, a reasonably priced wine list, and a martini list sure to please. Live music and special events are planned throughout the year.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Mad Batter Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Cape May ›
Mad Batter Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (70)neighborhood gem (62)kid-friendly (51)fit for foodies (37)great for brunch (29)great for lunch (27)special occasion (26)good for groups (25)romantic (21)vibrant bar scene (20)scenic view (19)hot spot (14)late-night find (14)notable wine list (11)Show More
- One of the bestfoodmanDined on 9/6/2014We had dinner there this weekend and it was GREAT. We sat outdoors under a covered area and enjoyed a great meal with great service. Our server Kelly, was one of the best. The food exceeded our expectations and the dessert topped it offSpecial Features:
- Great dinner spotMrsCDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I sat in the back garden room this Saturday and had a wonderful dinner. They have some very creative cocktails which were wonderful! We shared the salad (great size to share), and the shrimp and scallop sauté and vegetable Wellington. All were exceptional! Our service was excellent. The waitress was timely and friendly. We absolutely loved this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedIknowcmDined on 8/31/2014Our family has had breakfast here before on the porch and it was great. We decided to try dinner. What a mistake. We were in the back room, it was so loud you couldn't hear the person next to you. The food was average at best and had the worst service I've had in Cape May. When a restaurant is charging over $30 an entree a server should never ask patrons to pass up their plates to her when she had room to go around the table and pick them up. Never again will I waste my money here for dinner.
- Never loses its charmlarryjVIPDined on 8/30/2014We have been eating at MB during our Cape May vacations for more than a decade. The quality of food is always strong--a tribute to a chef and owner who focus on one operation rather than build a franchise empire. The baked brie appy remains wonderful. The Chilean sea bass is always flavorful and compelling, the grilled mahi mahi is never dry.Special Features:
- Mad Batter happy dinersLuvcapemayDined on 8/29/2014Loved the Mad Batter had dinner August 29, 2014 and can't wait to go back. The food was great service great and the atmosphere was fun an casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday evening at the Mad BatterTime4dindinDined on 8/28/2014My family and I had a lovely dinner at the Mad Batter. We were seated in the picturesque Garden Room. We ordered from the light menu. My husband had the hamburger, I had fish and chips, our grandson had a hamburger and our granddaughter had pizza, both from the children's menu. The children's meals included a drink and they both had sodas. There were some large parties dining that evening with children so it was a tad noisy, but this was the how it was almost everywhere we ate during the week. The food was delicious and we all enjoyed it. We will definitely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stone harbor hopDcgirl100Dined on 8/27/2014Ate here aug 27. Our server, Mimi was phenomenal. Started off with baked Brie, mussels and seafood bisque (special for the night). On any other night the Brie would have been great, but compared to the bisque and mussels, it was a distant second. Daughter loved her dad's bisque, so much so, that we ordered another bowl for her to eat as her entree- Mimi brought the additional bowl out right away. Ordered the sea bass and mahi mahi, both were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WilburDined on 8/26/2014If you want a place that hits all the bells, this is it . My wife had halibut and I had crab cake and steak with the best Mac and cheese you can find. Service great ,menu has something for everyone. This is a must go in cape may.Special Features:
- Great as Usual!BermudaDined on 8/25/2014Every year we go to Cape May we make sure that Mad Batter is one of the restaurants we go to for dinner....I have to say the Mahi Mahi with Mango, etc.. was one of the best meal combinations I have had in a long time....PLEASE do not discontinue it! :) I like that you can get great food in a nice atmosphere, but not over the top quiet and romantic, so perfect for the entire family...Special Features:
- Cape may gemFinfamilyDined on 8/24/2014Mad batter is a family favorite! Delicious food- terrific ambience- wonderful wait staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greg DEMANDED Increased TipMayberryDined on 8/23/2014Server demanded a larger tip, yelled at us, then yelled at me. Avoid Greg. Kay, the Manager, was great.Special Features:
- kcdaylightDined on 8/20/2014We always go to the Mad Batter when in Cape May ... We also stay at the Hotel many times... But this night something was missing... My son didn't like his crab cakes and the 4 cheese Mac/cheese was bland.. My wives salad was drenched in dressing.. Our appitizers were off also.. Bay berry wings are usually sweet and spicy .. Also had little flavor... The Brie pastry was about half the size it a few years ago .. My meal pasta in cream sauce was really good... My Long Island iced tea .. Was poor... I love this place but on this night it just seemed to miss on all accountsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to work on their chefjenoDined on 8/17/2014Ambiance, service and beverages were great. We felt the food was not comparable for the quality of the food. The crab cakes were more full than crab, the lobster ravioli and seafood dish was swimming in red sauce. I think it is overrated and pricey. Compare to other area restaurants with outside seating and not as much ambiance, the others had much better crab cakes, substantial seafood on the plate and were much more flavorful .Special Features:
- So-SoTonyDDined on 8/15/2014Two of our four dinners were bland. Having been there before for lunch, the dinner was a bit disappointing.
- chrisDined on 8/13/2014Great food, live music and a wonderful atmosphere!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Great restaurant that meets all the families needs. Great childrens menu great adult menu and quality made cocktails. Will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre expensive foodCadeloDined on 8/7/2014We had our only bad meal at the Mad Batter, but fortunately we at least paid a high price for the experience. My wife was actually ill that evening and the next morning from eating her Alfredo which was more sauce than pasta, and also served room temperature. My 23 year old son who usually eats not only his meal, but samples everyone else's, ate only half of his crabcake sandwich and fries. Amazing! I wanted to swap fries that came with my $33 steak out for any vegetable or salad, and they "upcharged" me $2.50 for that. That is patently ridiculous. And to round out the foursome, my youngest daughter picked the meat off her chicken wings to find something that didn't have the bad flavor of the Thai BBQ sauce on the outside.Special Features:
- Great food - poor serviceKMC2Dined on 8/6/2014We first had drinks at the bar - the bartenders were friendly and quick. The friendliness ended there. Our server could have cared less about our table. We waited 15 minutes for our order to be taken and had to ask another server to find them. They stopped at 2 other tables made eye contact but never bothered to come over. Other tables food, drinks, and appetizers (and servers) were around. Fortunately, the food was outstanding - the soft shell crab was delicious! We greatly enjoyed the shrimp and scallops.Special Features:
- Nice placeTommyVIPDined on 8/6/2014Great food and service - will be going back!!! Good for kids and adults alike - great place at the Jersey shore!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceScooterDined on 8/1/2014Interesting food. I'd like more vegetarian though Veg Wellington outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Terrific fresh food with a wonderful waitstaff. Kid friendly with delicious food for adults. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Everything was Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/30/2014This restaurant is very popular and for good reason. At breakfast time, a line forms to get in almost as soon as the restaurant opens. The bacon for breakfast was the best bacon I ever had. The Chilean Sea Bass as a dinner entree was scrumptious. Even though I love to try a different restaurant every time I eat out, I can't wait to go back here. I wish it was in my hometown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!!SuzzelsDined on 7/28/2014Excellent restaurant , the Sea Bass was amazing , great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peaceful, delightful!JdspiDined on 7/26/2014Was pressed to find a place that fits our casual attire and was open late. We were happy to find the Mad Batter and were very pleased with the restaurant and the food and while the service was slightly slow it was still very enjoyable evening I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- must visit in Cape MaylisaDined on 7/26/2014Glad I finally went - this is considered the first "good" restaurant in Cape May in modern times (late 20th Century to current) - and that may be, they have plenty of competition these days. The feed is fine if not remarkable, based on the few things we tried. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly and could accomodate everything from romantic for two to boisterous - and it's right by the beach.Special Features:
- July 2014 birthday dinnerJrzgpaDined on 7/23/2014This was the third consecutive year we went here and were looking forward to a repeat of the experiences we had in the past. While the service was fine, something has changed in the kitchen and not for the better. Previously the food was great, e.g. crab cakes, steaks, deserts. This time two of us ordered a filet mignon and a skirt steak both medium rare. both came out well done and the cut of skirt steak was nothing like I have seen before. The filet came with a side of mac n cheese which had a consistency and taste like there was some kind of filler in the cheese. It remained uneaten. Really, how can a kitchen screw up mac n cheese? We received credit for the steak and mac n cheese but we will be trying a different restaurant next year.
- Exceptional service!LuvnlifeDined on 7/19/2014Our family wanted a special celebration for our daughter's 40th birthday and thought it would be fun to recreate her favorite birthday memory which was Cinderella themed when she was 4. The staff was incredible! They worked with me before the event to pull it together and the result was perfect! From Cinderella balloons tied to her chair when we arrived to a cake complete with tiara and wand, the details could not have been more thoughtfully managed. And in between we enjoyed a meal that we will remember as one of our best ever! Truly a celebration we will never forget! If we could have given it more stars, we would!Special Features:
- Colorful...Cozy...a Cape May MustOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014The atmosphere matched the menu...colorful and quite satisfying...server was outgoing and kind...music at bar was an added bonus...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland bland blandFosters3Dined on 7/18/2014The more senior greeter barely said hello to us, and answered a question with a look, not a word. But we went there for the food not the greeter, so we grinned and bested the rudeness. However the food was even more disappointing. We tried 3 entrees and 2 appetizers. None had any flavor to speak of. Very disappointing. On the way out a different greeter was very friendly, but it was too late. We were so underwhelmed by this restaurant. Our server MiMi was the only good part about it. Spend a little more and eat next door at the Ebbitt Room.Special Features:
- Eci107Dined on 7/15/2014A fun place to bring the family - good food (especially the dinner specials), great drinks, and music. Meal was not rushed and server was both pleasant and efficient.Special Features:
- Tres Bon!!!!!LuvDiningDined on 7/15/2014Excellent food an service. I plan to go again when we return to cape MaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerseygirlDined on 7/13/2014Nice outdoor dining spot on historic Jackson St. Had a good blackened fish sandwich-refreshing to have a fish sandwich on the menu that isn't fried.Special Features:
- dinerhungryDined on 7/13/2014First the hostess did not have our reservations, or another couples through your OPEN TABLE system. the food was alright not worth the price even for a shore location. My wife had the filet and crab cakes. they say that they have the best crab cakes. They were bad, had a funky taste. The filet was not seasoned and was fatty. It also came with mac and bad cheese. I had scollops and shrimp in a water red broth with no taste could of used some seasonings was just bland. The dipping seasoning were too salty. Would not recommend this location.Special Features:
- Never disappointedLuv2dineVIPDined on 7/12/2014My family has been visiting Cape May for 15 years. We always make it a point to dine at The Mad Batter. Their food and dining experience have been consistently excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly very goodJules714Dined on 7/12/2014Our server was very energetic and attentive. Taste of Paris Martini was delicious and strong. Calamari appetizer was good, but not super crunchy, and the marinara dipping sauce tasted as if it was poured from a can. The fresh bread and dip was delicious and warm, however. The Ahi tuna special was delicious, as was the sweet potato mash and asparagus. The crab cakes were the biggest disappointment of the night. I'm from Maryland, so I know what a crab cake should taste like. These were 75% filler, and had very little crab or seasoning, so they tasted very bland. So, a mixed bag, but I've been here before and enjoyed it, so give it a shot. And make sure you make reservations during summer months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Expensive/Chili's level foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/11/2014Menu and execution pretty mediocre, and tailored to tourist audience. Too expensive even for Cape May. Good range of food for all types of eaters (especially children). Very nice space with covered garden dining.Special Features:
- Great for all Mealschinakids2Dined on 7/9/2014Loved the 8-3 time for breakfast. Great selections for all meals. Service was prompt and servers were very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2014This was my first visit to Cape May and the Mad Batter was highly recommended. It did not disappoint! Outstanding food and service!Special Features:
- capemayfanDined on 7/5/2014My family loves the Mad Batter and when we are in Cape May it is a must. There is something for everyone on the menu. If you are a vegetarian like me you must try the veggie Wellington. They also have a wonderful bar which is always friendly and fun. They make a mean mojito.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great happy hour!lb362Dined on 7/5/2014We were a party of six, with one of us a child. The sea bass and salmon were raved about. And the senior licked her fingers while devouring her fish & chips. I ordered from the Specials, and was disappointed. It was the grizzly steak du jour. It was tedious to cut around all the fat, so I left unfulfilled. I spoke to my waitress about it and was told that this cut of meat always has this much fat. A sirloin? I left it at that. It was a long day and I wasn't going to debate it. But next time...I'm going to get a pizza.I would recommend this to a friend.