Mad Batter Restaurant
19 Jackson Street
Cape May, NJ 08204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mad Batter Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://madbatter.com/
- Phone: (609) 884-5970
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast & Lunch: Every Day 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Dinner: from 5 PM
ONLINE RESERVATIONS ARE ACCEPTED FOR DINNER ONLY
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lisa Erdley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Make the Carroll Villa Hotel and Mad Batter Restaurant your choice for special occasions, family reunions, weddings, anniversaries, and rehearsal dinners.
All the wonders and charm of seaside Cape May, plus memorable accommodations and dining, combine to make your party a very special occasion. The Garden Terrace can be enclosed with French doors for heat or air conditioning, or fully opened to the outside garden. The room seats up to 70 guests, or can be divided into 2 smaller areas, each accommodating 35 guests. It is a unique and colorful light-filled retreat with a special charm.
- Private Party Contact: Pam Huber 6098845970x309
- Entertainment: Happy Hour daily 4 - 6 PM.
Live Music every night in season, never a cover charge. Winter schedule live music weekends. Open Mic Night every Sunday night
A word from Mad Batter Restaurant
A Cape May tradition for over 30 years! The nationally acclaimed Mad Batter Restaurant is located at the Carroll Villa Hotel in the heart of the historic district. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts and cocktails are served on the European-style front porch, garden terrace, and sky-lit dining room. Breakfast offerings include fresh squeezed juices, homemade fruit breads, and entrees such as crab benedict, oatmeal pancakes, or orange & almond french toast. Lunch entrees include the Maryland crab cake sandwich, fish & chips, and Waldorf chicken, as well as an assortment of salads. Dinner options are always inventive and the seafood is extraordinary. Entrees include award-winning jumbo lump crab cakes, juicy steaks, chicken and fresh fish specials daily. A sumptuous selection of desserts made daily. The Mad Batter Bar features Happy Hour, twelve beers on tap, a reasonably priced wine list, and a martini list sure to please. Live music and special events are planned throughout the year.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Mad Batter Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Cape May ›
Mad Batter Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (39)great for outdoor dining (39)kid-friendly (23)fit for foodies (22)great for brunch (22)great for lunch (18)special occasion (17)good for groups (15)vibrant bar scene (15)romantic (13)hot spot (12)notable wine list (11)scenic view (9)late-night find (7)Show More
- CLsmoothCLsmoothDined on 11/7/2014This is a great place for breakfast or brunch the setting is relaxing and casual.Special Features:
- off-seasonThinks4uDined on 10/29/2014We had seen this restaurant over the years while visiting Cape May, but never ate there. There was a small band playing in the bar, which gave us some nice entertainment, while we relaxed. The crab cakes and Ahi tuna were excellent entree choices, and the mussels were a great starter. This time of year, Cape May is pretty deserted, and many restaurants are closed for the season, so it was a nice that we had this choice.Special Features:
- DeliciousladolcevitaDined on 10/19/2014This restaurant was a great find! Never expected the quality of the food served! The food was delicious and the service was attentive, warm and friendly.Special Features:
- Memories of Meals PastViennaWeeneeVIPDined on 10/19/2014This was our first time back to the Mad Batter in around 30 years so our memories might not be correct. However, we remember the menu as being more eclectic and gourmet. The choices now are general restaurant fare. I had the crab cakes and they were decent but the one's at Clydes, for example, are better. We did have excellent and tasty sandwiches for lunch; maybe that's their new strength.Special Features:
- Music too loud and overcooked beef!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/19/2014Avoid inside dining Sunday nights if you want to have any conversation. The music and karaoke was way too loud for comfort and not very good. We asked to be reseated further away from the speakers, but were told there was no other table available even though there clearly were some empty in the back room. Filet mignon ordered medium rare came out well done. A requested replacement eventually came, but too late ... as the rest of the party had had enough with the music and were anxious to leave by then.Special Features:
- Great for gluten free options!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014We had a very large party with a few people with various allergies/dietary restrictions. They have a full gluten free menu that is almost identical to their regular menu! The gf pizzas and freshly homemade gf pastas were great! Service was also wonderful and the waitress was very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Birthday CelebrationJudiandDonDined on 10/18/2014We stayed at the Carroll Villa and had breakfast and main Birthday Dinner at the Mad Batter. They were just outstanding, remembering to make Judi's dinner a special meal with baloons on her chair and birthday wishes and a candle on her dessert. Little things but sometimes missed by other restaurants even after reminded. They restauranat and hotel has earned future stays and visits. We have eaten here before and loved it. Our stay in the hotel was really enjoyable too. We are coming back for sure. More important we will spread the word among friends and relatives !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Great for breakfast & dinnerNevereatathomeDined on 10/11/2014We have been coming here for years and it has always been our favorite. They did get a new chef and things are a little different now. Not better but not bad. Dinner is fine, breakfast has declined a little.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Cape MaySteakEaterDined on 10/3/2014The Mad Batter offers a great feeling of how Cape May used to be and incorporates the old charm with great food and nightly entertainment! Be sure to take some time and admire the art pieces that decorate the walls. these are usually from local artists and very interesting.Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinnerLovedatenightsDined on 9/26/2014We have dined here once before,and this time was equally as great as the first. The tilefish was outstanding as was the sea bass. Super desserts. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dineoutVIPDined on 9/26/2014Great restaurant in the heart of Cape May. Really nice fall menu. Very attentive, friendly, knowledgeable staff. Patio dining is comfortable & very enjoyable. When in Cape May, we never miss Mad Batter& neither should you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dfjfVIPDined on 9/20/2014I requested the porch and we were seated inside. The noise level was so high we couldn't hear each other speak. The ambiance indoors was not acceptable.
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014We have been to Mad Batter many times; our experience was as usual very nice. All was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mad Batter Porch DiningKahunaDinesDined on 9/14/2014It was a beautiful, late summer evening on the veranda, enjoying the gentlest breexe and watching the horse drawn carriages roll past. The charm of the Mad Batter wasn't wasted while dining al freso. The service was very good with the waitress attentive and knowledgeable. The food was well prepared, savory without being over spiced. The cost for two was about $80, which is comparable to most Cape May restaurants. I will return to try other dishes on the menu and experience inside dining at the Mad Batter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestfoodmanDined on 9/6/2014We had dinner there this weekend and it was GREAT. We sat outdoors under a covered area and enjoyed a great meal with great service. Our server Kelly, was one of the best. The food exceeded our expectations and the dessert topped it offSpecial Features:
- Great dinner spotMrsCDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I sat in the back garden room this Saturday and had a wonderful dinner. They have some very creative cocktails which were wonderful! We shared the salad (great size to share), and the shrimp and scallop sauté and vegetable Wellington. All were exceptional! Our service was excellent. The waitress was timely and friendly. We absolutely loved this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedIknowcmDined on 8/31/2014Our family has had breakfast here before on the porch and it was great. We decided to try dinner. What a mistake. We were in the back room, it was so loud you couldn't hear the person next to you. The food was average at best and had the worst service I've had in Cape May. When a restaurant is charging over $30 an entree a server should never ask patrons to pass up their plates to her when she had room to go around the table and pick them up. Never again will I waste my money here for dinner.
- Never loses its charmlarryjVIPDined on 8/30/2014We have been eating at MB during our Cape May vacations for more than a decade. The quality of food is always strong--a tribute to a chef and owner who focus on one operation rather than build a franchise empire. The baked brie appy remains wonderful. The Chilean sea bass is always flavorful and compelling, the grilled mahi mahi is never dry.Special Features:
- Mad Batter happy dinersLuvcapemayDined on 8/29/2014Loved the Mad Batter had dinner August 29, 2014 and can't wait to go back. The food was great service great and the atmosphere was fun an casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday evening at the Mad BatterTime4dindinDined on 8/28/2014My family and I had a lovely dinner at the Mad Batter. We were seated in the picturesque Garden Room. We ordered from the light menu. My husband had the hamburger, I had fish and chips, our grandson had a hamburger and our granddaughter had pizza, both from the children's menu. The children's meals included a drink and they both had sodas. There were some large parties dining that evening with children so it was a tad noisy, but this was the how it was almost everywhere we ate during the week. The food was delicious and we all enjoyed it. We will definitely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stone harbor hopDcgirl100Dined on 8/27/2014Ate here aug 27. Our server, Mimi was phenomenal. Started off with baked Brie, mussels and seafood bisque (special for the night). On any other night the Brie would have been great, but compared to the bisque and mussels, it was a distant second. Daughter loved her dad's bisque, so much so, that we ordered another bowl for her to eat as her entree- Mimi brought the additional bowl out right away. Ordered the sea bass and mahi mahi, both were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WilburVIPDined on 8/26/2014If you want a place that hits all the bells, this is it . My wife had halibut and I had crab cake and steak with the best Mac and cheese you can find. Service great ,menu has something for everyone. This is a must go in cape may.Special Features:
- Great as Usual!BermudaDined on 8/25/2014Every year we go to Cape May we make sure that Mad Batter is one of the restaurants we go to for dinner....I have to say the Mahi Mahi with Mango, etc.. was one of the best meal combinations I have had in a long time....PLEASE do not discontinue it! :) I like that you can get great food in a nice atmosphere, but not over the top quiet and romantic, so perfect for the entire family...Special Features:
- Cape may gemFinfamilyDined on 8/24/2014Mad batter is a family favorite! Delicious food- terrific ambience- wonderful wait staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greg DEMANDED Increased TipMayberryDined on 8/23/2014Server demanded a larger tip, yelled at us, then yelled at me. Avoid Greg. Kay, the Manager, was great.Special Features:
- kcdaylightDined on 8/20/2014We always go to the Mad Batter when in Cape May ... We also stay at the Hotel many times... But this night something was missing... My son didn't like his crab cakes and the 4 cheese Mac/cheese was bland.. My wives salad was drenched in dressing.. Our appitizers were off also.. Bay berry wings are usually sweet and spicy .. Also had little flavor... The Brie pastry was about half the size it a few years ago .. My meal pasta in cream sauce was really good... My Long Island iced tea .. Was poor... I love this place but on this night it just seemed to miss on all accountsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to work on their chefjenoDined on 8/17/2014Ambiance, service and beverages were great. We felt the food was not comparable for the quality of the food. The crab cakes were more full than crab, the lobster ravioli and seafood dish was swimming in red sauce. I think it is overrated and pricey. Compare to other area restaurants with outside seating and not as much ambiance, the others had much better crab cakes, substantial seafood on the plate and were much more flavorful .Special Features:
- So-SoTonyDDined on 8/15/2014Two of our four dinners were bland. Having been there before for lunch, the dinner was a bit disappointing.
- chrisDined on 8/13/2014Great food, live music and a wonderful atmosphere!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Great restaurant that meets all the families needs. Great childrens menu great adult menu and quality made cocktails. Will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre expensive foodCadeloDined on 8/7/2014We had our only bad meal at the Mad Batter, but fortunately we at least paid a high price for the experience. My wife was actually ill that evening and the next morning from eating her Alfredo which was more sauce than pasta, and also served room temperature. My 23 year old son who usually eats not only his meal, but samples everyone else's, ate only half of his crabcake sandwich and fries. Amazing! I wanted to swap fries that came with my $33 steak out for any vegetable or salad, and they "upcharged" me $2.50 for that. That is patently ridiculous. And to round out the foursome, my youngest daughter picked the meat off her chicken wings to find something that didn't have the bad flavor of the Thai BBQ sauce on the outside.Special Features:
- Great food - poor serviceKMC2VIPDined on 8/6/2014We first had drinks at the bar - the bartenders were friendly and quick. The friendliness ended there. Our server could have cared less about our table. We waited 15 minutes for our order to be taken and had to ask another server to find them. They stopped at 2 other tables made eye contact but never bothered to come over. Other tables food, drinks, and appetizers (and servers) were around. Fortunately, the food was outstanding - the soft shell crab was delicious! We greatly enjoyed the shrimp and scallops.Special Features:
- Nice placeTommyVIPDined on 8/6/2014Great food and service - will be going back!!! Good for kids and adults alike - great place at the Jersey shore!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceScooterDined on 8/1/2014Interesting food. I'd like more vegetarian though Veg Wellington outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Terrific fresh food with a wonderful waitstaff. Kid friendly with delicious food for adults. We'll be back!Special Features:
- The following 385 reviews are from the Mad Batter Restaurant reviews archive.
- Everything was Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/30/2014This restaurant is very popular and for good reason. At breakfast time, a line forms to get in almost as soon as the restaurant opens. The bacon for breakfast was the best bacon I ever had. The Chilean Sea Bass as a dinner entree was scrumptious. Even though I love to try a different restaurant every time I eat out, I can't wait to go back here. I wish it was in my hometown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!!SuzzelsDined on 7/28/2014Excellent restaurant , the Sea Bass was amazing , great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peaceful, delightful!JdspiDined on 7/26/2014Was pressed to find a place that fits our casual attire and was open late. We were happy to find the Mad Batter and were very pleased with the restaurant and the food and while the service was slightly slow it was still very enjoyable evening I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- must visit in Cape MaylisaDined on 7/26/2014Glad I finally went - this is considered the first "good" restaurant in Cape May in modern times (late 20th Century to current) - and that may be, they have plenty of competition these days. The feed is fine if not remarkable, based on the few things we tried. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly and could accomodate everything from romantic for two to boisterous - and it's right by the beach.Special Features:
- July 2014 birthday dinnerJrzgpaDined on 7/23/2014This was the third consecutive year we went here and were looking forward to a repeat of the experiences we had in the past. While the service was fine, something has changed in the kitchen and not for the better. Previously the food was great, e.g. crab cakes, steaks, deserts. This time two of us ordered a filet mignon and a skirt steak both medium rare. both came out well done and the cut of skirt steak was nothing like I have seen before. The filet came with a side of mac n cheese which had a consistency and taste like there was some kind of filler in the cheese. It remained uneaten. Really, how can a kitchen screw up mac n cheese? We received credit for the steak and mac n cheese but we will be trying a different restaurant next year.