Macy's - The Oak Grill
700 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55402Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Macy's - The Oak Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.macysoakgrill.com/
- Phone: 6123752938x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday 11am to 3pm
Tuesday thru Thursday 11am to 7pm
Saturday 11am to 3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Carlos Cajamarca
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For Macy's off site catering in the Minneapolis area please visit www.designcuisinecatering.com.
- Special Events: Join us for dinner before your concert or theater event. Present your event ticket and receive a complimentary glass of house wine with your entree. Evening and weekend parking included.
- Cross Street: 8th Street
- Public Transit: Located off of Nicollet Mall between 7th & 8th.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Public parking available in the parking ramp PARK & SHOP adjacent to Macy's Department Store or several other downtown ramps. Parking is included evenings & weekends.
A word from Macy's - The Oak Grill
A Minneapolis tradition was born on October 2, 1947, when the Oak Grill opened for business. Architect Bob Hansen used characteristics from the Jacobean period in the design of the rooms. The ornate fireplace, originally from Salisbury, England, was over 300 years old when it was transported in sections and reassembled in the Oak Grill. With its solid oak columns and vast frame, it soon became the room's focal point. Its distinctive appearance, along with dark paneling, red chairs and dim lighting, help give the Oak Grill its cozy ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Macy's - The Oak Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Macy's - The Oak Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (31)special occasion (21)neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (10)romantic (10)fit for foodies (9)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Lovely meal and servicemyselfDined on 8/26/2014My husband and I loved the dinner we had before the theater.Special Features:
- Lunch with friendsMeg18Dined on 8/26/2014The tuna sandwich was perfect. Wild rice soup perfect, as always. French onion soup, perfect. The Walleye was ample and grilled to perfection. The Salmon was dry and crispy (overdone by my standards) but because my friend likes her fish that way, we traded. Mashed potatoes were cold. Over all, my favorite thing at Macy's Oak Grill is the black currant iced tea and the popovers. Service by Ana was prompt, courtesous, impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place for a mealJoeyDined on 8/19/2014Our table thoroughly enjoyed our lunch selection. You can't go wrong with the chicken pot pie and hamburgers. The wait staff was very attentive. She noticed one person was wearing a birthday button. She surprised the table with a complimentary slice of birthday brownie. What a nice gesture. Oak Grill is an excellent place for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- pattyb0402Dined on 8/6/2014The popovers are amazing and what stands out as unique with the dining experience. I have my favorites but also try other menu options. I have never been disappointed with my food and the service is always top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Time DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014Historic place - food and ambience. Brings back many memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Week day lunchBearHugDined on 7/11/2014I was disappointed in the food during my last visit which was 7/11/2014. Pop overs were cold, salad was limp, chicken was dry. My companions fries were greasy and cold. Not likely to return. There are Manu other options that offer better food at the same cost.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2014Shopping with the girlfriends and then lunch at the Oak Grill. Food was very good.Special Features:
- not the best experiencesorrylunchbunchDined on 6/23/2014We chose the Oak Grill for a special lunch. 1 - for the popovers - they were thick /crusty - not much flavor 2 for the good food - it was good 3 for the service - this was poor...........there were 2 parties in the room when we came and 1 left soon after. the other party was eating. Our service took 40 minutes from ordering to the table............really? 4 salads, 1 meat loaf and 1 burger. now that is poor serviceSpecial Features:
- Good food, great serviceJDs3Dined on 6/21/2014We selected this restaurant because it reminded us of the old days when all large department stores had cozy restaurants. The Oak Grill met our expectations and more. We shared their famous pot pie and walleye main dishes. Both were delicious. The warm, dark oak walls and general décor were wonderful reminders of long past experiences. We appreciated the perfect level of service provided by our waiter, Hubert. The floor on which the restaurant is located contains a mini-museum about the history of Macy's. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miserable eveningNevermoreDined on 6/20/2014We had a completely miserable experience at the Grill and would not ever be returning again. Hour and a half and never got the correct entrees util after we paid the bill and were walking out. some serious management is needed at this restaurant and it will not be a return place for me
- Oak Grillpolis80VIPDined on 6/20/2014We have eaten here a few times and have decided that it is a favorite! The service and food are great and the atmosphere is warm and inviting yet elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- POPOVERS! (Need I say more...?)gbroxonDined on 6/19/2014The Oak Grill is great for lunch. Everything I've ever had is spot-on and a welcomed change from run-of-the-mill salads, burgers, and pasta. PLUS, no matter what you order, you get a freshly-baked popover to enjoy before your meal. They also offer seasonal specials and a quiche-of-the-day. The decor is a bit "clubbish" (know what I mean?!?!). I've gone there for dinner, but I wouldn't again (very slim cocktail pickin's); however, lunch is ALWAYS perfect! I've had most things on their menu: The carmelized salmon is wonderful, the meatloaf as well as the chicken pot pie is perfect, and the many salads are divine. Love, love, love their mashed potatoes! My only criticism: Changing up entrees' veg more frequently would be spectacular!Special Features:
- Lunch for the ProfessionalsBigBowlEnthusiastVIPDined on 6/17/2014A great lunch spot to meet a client or with a colleague. Delicious old-time favorites with fresh seasonal options offered. I highly recommend the Oak Room Grill!Special Features:
- A wonderful hidden gem!DatenightdinerDined on 6/13/2014My wife and I were very pleasantly surprised by our wonderful experience at this hidden gem of a restaurant. We were there for a 6:30pm dinner date and the ambiance was very quiet and romantic...we could actually hear each other talk! The overall feel of the restaurant is cozy and inviting. The service was amazing...very friendly but not intrusive. The food was very good...not a huge menu at all but enough to choose from and contained some gluten free options as well. After eating here my wife and I felt very relaxed after a fairly stressful week; it was a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oak GrillOakroomDined on 6/4/2014The food and atmosphere at the Oak Grill are wonderful and the prices are very reasonable!Special Features:
- Fantastic Pre Theatre DinnerjjfeigalDined on 5/29/2014Macy's Oak Grill is a great location for dinner prior to a show at the State or Orpheum Theatre in downtown Minneapolis. My friend and I both ordered the caramelized salmon served with cooked asparagus with risotto. A dish of ice cream for dessert topped off a wonderful dinner.Special Features:
- Delicious BUT Long WaitCEH01Dined on 5/19/2014The food is incredible and prices reasonable, but we had to wait about 40 minutes for our food when we only ordered salads and soups. I encourage people to go, but not for lunch unless you don't have to get back to work. I will go again but on my day off!Special Features:
- LunchHBearDined on 5/16/2014great place for lunch, be sure you have a full hour and reservations may be necessary depending on events happening in the city. The food, Service and location are excellent and the popovers the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional ServiceBrulafDined on 5/11/2014The best service for a brunch that I have ever had. I wanted to tip more than a normally served meal. Food was hot and every item very tasteful. Fantastic French toast!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mothers day brunchCiscoDined on 5/11/2014Food was good but not very many stations. Service was somewhat slow but they were very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Mother's SayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014From the time we arrived to the time we left the service was excellent. The food was better than we expected and I'm looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for business meetingsBridgetDined on 5/9/2014I like the Oak Grill because I can meet with a client and work without a noisy and disruptive environment. The food is always excellent and the prices are low.Special Features:
- The following 426 reviews are from the Macy's - The Oak Grill reviews archive.
- Still as good as everEdinamomVIPDined on 4/24/2014My family loves the popovers. Our waitress brought us extras! We were there just before closing on a weeknight and it was not very busy. The french onion soup was especially good. Free parking after 4pm also. We will be back.
- We have a 91 year old motherBABSDined on 4/12/2014We have a 91 year old mother who can' t hear in any noisy restaurant, which seems to be all of them. The Oak Grille is quiet, has wonderful food and the overall ambience is perfect. My husband and/or friends have also enjoyed a relaxing lunch after shopping where we can actually have a conversation. This place is really a gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Quiche for dinnernavvetDined on 4/11/2014Was expecting to have Quiche for dinner after looking at the menu online. After getting seated, looked for the quiche and it was on the restaurant menu and asked the server for two Quiches. He replied the Oak Room only serves quiche for lunch. Looked again at the menu and did not see anywhere that quiche was only served for lunch. So we had a starter and one soup for me and one salad for my partner. When the food was ready every thing was served altogether Popovers,the starter, soup, salad. Not too impressed.Special Features:
- Nice place to heatBobertDined on 4/11/2014I have been going to the Oak Grill for at least 50 years. I always enjoy the staff and food. I also love the style of the room.Special Features:
- lunch with neicelinda64lovestoeatDined on 4/10/2014I used to work downtown and went to the oak grill several times, for me it was like coming back to a friendly place; love their popoversSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/9/2014We have been to this restaurant when it was very busy, and quiet. The service was outstanding at both times. It is in a department store, and has been there for many many years. It is beautifully done.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch & Flower showUptownPatronDined on 4/6/2014Macy's was showing off a great dining experience: up to date food and great service in a beautiful, historic space. Flower show is a great community and family event. Kudos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice timeCyndiDined on 4/5/2014We went to the Floral Show and then lunch at Oak Grille. I really liked it, the atmosphere, the food, and the service. It felt like an occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent, mid range pricing,DeepvalleygirlDined on 4/5/2014Consistent, mid range pricing, beautiful ambiance. Lovely site for a romantic lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a classicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014The Oak Room doesn't disappoint. We took my grandma to the flower show and then lunch at the Oak room and it was a memorable day. The popovers are amazing and now they are serving red velvet cupcakes with your meal. The food was great and the sevice was too. They did a great job accomodating a wheel chair too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to usual par. WaitressOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014Not up to usual par. Waitress was crazy, told us drinks were not good, didn't let us order salads we wanted. Popovers were ok. Birthday celebration was definitely not what we planned.
- Always a Downtown FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/4/2014I have been eating here since I was a child and my mom and I needed to have my dad join us over the lunch hour - women were not allowed with out a male escort during the peak lunch hours! So glad to be able to still come with my family. Maybe it is just the memory but the food is good, reasonable priced, we love the atmosphere and the service is always exceptional. tahnks for opening for dinner as I am not able to be downtown over the lunch hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodJennyCDined on 4/3/2014Great food and service!! The place is beautiful!! Would definitely go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food served by veryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/2/2014great food served by very friendly staff in an old reliable settingSpecial Features:
- Popovers, wow!ZoomDined on 4/2/2014If you are a popover lover, this restaurant is for you. A free popover comes with every mean.
- Nice place for lunchlcranDined on 4/2/2014The restaurant was very busy due to the Flower show. However, the staff was very helpful and prompt service. Parking was $21 so would only go once a year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Oak Grillmcc123Dined on 4/2/2014A group of friends had lunch together and had great service along with good food all in a setting from days past!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinning experiance.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/2/2014As always we like to go there anytime we are downtown and more so when we visit the Macy's flower show. Grand daughters love it. Nice and classy for the cost of the meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.