Macy's - The Oak Grill
700 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55402Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Macy's - The Oak Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.macysoakgrill.com/
- Phone: (612) 375-2938
- Hours of Operation:
Monday 11am to 3pm
Tuesday thru Thursday 11am to 7pm
Saturday 11am to 3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Carlos Cajamarca
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For Macy's off site catering in the Minneapolis area please visit www.designcuisinecatering.com.
- Special Events: Join us for dinner before your concert or theater event. Present your event ticket and receive a complimentary glass of house wine with your entree. Evening and weekend parking included.
- Cross Street: 8th Street
- Public Transit: Located off of Nicollet Mall between 7th & 8th.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Public parking available in the parking ramp PARK & SHOP adjacent to Macy's Department Store or several other downtown ramps. Parking is included evenings & weekends.
A word from Macy's - The Oak Grill
A Minneapolis tradition was born on October 2, 1947, when the Oak Grill opened for business. Architect Bob Hansen used characteristics from the Jacobean period in the design of the rooms. The ornate fireplace, originally from Salisbury, England, was over 300 years old when it was transported in sections and reassembled in the Oak Grill. With its solid oak columns and vast frame, it soon became the room's focal point. Its distinctive appearance, along with dark paneling, red chairs and dim lighting, help give the Oak Grill its cozy ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Macy's - The Oak Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Macy's - The Oak Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (47)special occasion (30)good for groups (27)neighborhood gem (15)romantic (15)fit for foodies (11)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great Lunch SpotrsandercockDined on 11/17/2014Met a friend for lunch who I hadn't seen in years. It was the perfect place to chat and catch up while enjoying some good food. Always a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichaelDined on 11/17/2014I love it. Dayton's (yes, I know) Oak Grill is perfectly classy. Old-school charm with white tablecloths, traditional dark woodwork and a great formal fireplace. The food and the service are always good. It is not a place that the "hipster" crowd would go to (or even know about) .... which makes it even more enjoyable for me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReetzDined on 11/11/2014Great food. Asked for our bill when food was delivered so worked out ok. Difficult to do lunch in 1 hour.Special Features:
- Farewell LuncheonAwesomeDined on 11/5/2014We came here to celebrate someone leaving our workplace. As always, the food was delicious. It was nice our individual tabs included a portion of the person's tab who was leaving, as we were treating her. The only complaint is that it took our server forever to bring our tabs. We even had to ask someone to go find her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lweDoreDined on 10/30/2014Enjoyed the walleye. All food prepared well. Popovers a nice touch. Service was good. My friend and I were able to visit without feeling rushed. Very relaxing, filling, reasonably priced meal. Like the redecorating they did. Lightened things up, less cumbersome chairs, cleaner feel.Special Features:
- Great Lunch SpotHuss39Dined on 10/28/2014The best way to describe the food is "comfort." Where else can you get awesome popovers and consistently delicious menu options in a vintage setting - The Oak Grill is terrific!Special Features:
- RelaxingArnold2BbackDined on 10/25/2014We will be going back. Would like to bring some couples and friends with usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - good serviceDebbieDinerDined on 10/22/2014We had very attentive service. The food is consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MuseyDined on 10/17/2014My friends and I really enjoyed the food, but best of all was our waiter and other wait staff. They all made us feel welcomed and a part of the fun. Great place for a supper before attending an Orchestra Hall concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Quiet Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014I love the Oak Grill for small group or personal business lunch meetings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElizabethElizabethDined on 10/15/2014The Oktoberfest item I had 2 days ago at lunch with friends was so enjoyable, I invited my husband out for lunch there today to celebrate our anniversary, knowing he would enjoy it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/1/2014My friends and I were extremely disappointed. Our waitress was very attentive and apologetic, but our food took almost an hour to reach us. I was on my lunch hour, had to eat in a hurry and then returned to work late. The food was very good, but kitchen was far behind standards.
- Oktoberfest at the Oak GrillMplsdinerVIPDined on 9/19/2014It is the start of Oktoberfest so the menu is wonderful. Our choices were all delicious -- we each ate every bite. We had a terrific waitress too. Great spot for dinner before a play downtown.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SwedeheartfDined on 9/19/2014The Oak Grill is a great location for a business lunch!Special Features:
- Gem on the 12th Flooreatout4funDined on 9/12/2014One of our favorite family traditions is a visit to the Oak Grill at Macy's to celebrate a holiday or birthday. Friday's dinner was among the best. The menu had something for everyone - teenagers and adults. Our food was delicious, and our server was both gracious and efficient. We loved the warm fire and not too intrusive background music. The dark wood paneling and table linens make this restaurant just right for our special events.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014Very good restaurant-classic meals. Go there before theater, for dinner and especially their hot popovers. Unfortunately very limited evening and weekend hours. Always wonderful attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT STAFFANDREWDined on 9/3/2014THIS WAS OUR FIRST "FANCY" RESTAURANT WITH OUR THREE YEAR OLD. THE STAFF WAS SO KIND, MADE HER FEEL WELCOME AND REALLY HELPED MOM AND DAD ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE. WE WERE VERY NERVOUS, BUT TRULY ENJOYED OUR EXPERIENCE WITH BOTH OUR WAITRESS AND THE MANAGER (BOTH WERE ATTENTIVE TO US). WE WILL DEFINITELY RETURN. ALSO - LOVED THE POPOVERS. LOVED THE MEAL!Special Features:
- Lovely meal and servicemyselfDined on 8/26/2014My husband and I loved the dinner we had before the theater.Special Features:
- Lunch with friendsMeg18Dined on 8/26/2014The tuna sandwich was perfect. Wild rice soup perfect, as always. French onion soup, perfect. The Walleye was ample and grilled to perfection. The Salmon was dry and crispy (overdone by my standards) but because my friend likes her fish that way, we traded. Mashed potatoes were cold. Over all, my favorite thing at Macy's Oak Grill is the black currant iced tea and the popovers. Service by Ana was prompt, courtesous, impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place for a mealJoeyDined on 8/19/2014Our table thoroughly enjoyed our lunch selection. You can't go wrong with the chicken pot pie and hamburgers. The wait staff was very attentive. She noticed one person was wearing a birthday button. She surprised the table with a complimentary slice of birthday brownie. What a nice gesture. Oak Grill is an excellent place for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- pattyb0402Dined on 8/6/2014The popovers are amazing and what stands out as unique with the dining experience. I have my favorites but also try other menu options. I have never been disappointed with my food and the service is always top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 445 reviews are from the Macy's - The Oak Grill reviews archive.
- Old Time DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014Historic place - food and ambience. Brings back many memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Week day lunchBearHugDined on 7/11/2014I was disappointed in the food during my last visit which was 7/11/2014. Pop overs were cold, salad was limp, chicken was dry. My companions fries were greasy and cold. Not likely to return. There are Manu other options that offer better food at the same cost.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2014Shopping with the girlfriends and then lunch at the Oak Grill. Food was very good.Special Features:
- not the best experiencesorrylunchbunchDined on 6/23/2014We chose the Oak Grill for a special lunch. 1 - for the popovers - they were thick /crusty - not much flavor 2 for the good food - it was good 3 for the service - this was poor...........there were 2 parties in the room when we came and 1 left soon after. the other party was eating. Our service took 40 minutes from ordering to the table............really? 4 salads, 1 meat loaf and 1 burger. now that is poor serviceSpecial Features:
- Good food, great serviceJDs3Dined on 6/21/2014We selected this restaurant because it reminded us of the old days when all large department stores had cozy restaurants. The Oak Grill met our expectations and more. We shared their famous pot pie and walleye main dishes. Both were delicious. The warm, dark oak walls and general décor were wonderful reminders of long past experiences. We appreciated the perfect level of service provided by our waiter, Hubert. The floor on which the restaurant is located contains a mini-museum about the history of Macy's. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miserable eveningNevermoreDined on 6/20/2014We had a completely miserable experience at the Grill and would not ever be returning again. Hour and a half and never got the correct entrees util after we paid the bill and were walking out. some serious management is needed at this restaurant and it will not be a return place for me
- Oak Grillpolis80VIPDined on 6/20/2014We have eaten here a few times and have decided that it is a favorite! The service and food are great and the atmosphere is warm and inviting yet elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- POPOVERS! (Need I say more...?)gbroxonDined on 6/19/2014The Oak Grill is great for lunch. Everything I've ever had is spot-on and a welcomed change from run-of-the-mill salads, burgers, and pasta. PLUS, no matter what you order, you get a freshly-baked popover to enjoy before your meal. They also offer seasonal specials and a quiche-of-the-day. The decor is a bit "clubbish" (know what I mean?!?!). I've gone there for dinner, but I wouldn't again (very slim cocktail pickin's); however, lunch is ALWAYS perfect! I've had most things on their menu: The carmelized salmon is wonderful, the meatloaf as well as the chicken pot pie is perfect, and the many salads are divine. Love, love, love their mashed potatoes! My only criticism: Changing up entrees' veg more frequently would be spectacular!Special Features:
- Lunch for the ProfessionalsBigBowlEnthusiastVIPDined on 6/17/2014A great lunch spot to meet a client or with a colleague. Delicious old-time favorites with fresh seasonal options offered. I highly recommend the Oak Room Grill!Special Features:
- A wonderful hidden gem!DatenightdinerDined on 6/13/2014My wife and I were very pleasantly surprised by our wonderful experience at this hidden gem of a restaurant. We were there for a 6:30pm dinner date and the ambiance was very quiet and romantic...we could actually hear each other talk! The overall feel of the restaurant is cozy and inviting. The service was amazing...very friendly but not intrusive. The food was very good...not a huge menu at all but enough to choose from and contained some gluten free options as well. After eating here my wife and I felt very relaxed after a fairly stressful week; it was a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oak GrillOakroomDined on 6/4/2014The food and atmosphere at the Oak Grill are wonderful and the prices are very reasonable!Special Features:
- Fantastic Pre Theatre DinnerjjfeigalDined on 5/29/2014Macy's Oak Grill is a great location for dinner prior to a show at the State or Orpheum Theatre in downtown Minneapolis. My friend and I both ordered the caramelized salmon served with cooked asparagus with risotto. A dish of ice cream for dessert topped off a wonderful dinner.Special Features:
- Delicious BUT Long WaitCEH01Dined on 5/19/2014The food is incredible and prices reasonable, but we had to wait about 40 minutes for our food when we only ordered salads and soups. I encourage people to go, but not for lunch unless you don't have to get back to work. I will go again but on my day off!Special Features:
- LunchHBearDined on 5/16/2014great place for lunch, be sure you have a full hour and reservations may be necessary depending on events happening in the city. The food, Service and location are excellent and the popovers the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional ServiceBrulafDined on 5/11/2014The best service for a brunch that I have ever had. I wanted to tip more than a normally served meal. Food was hot and every item very tasteful. Fantastic French toast!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mothers day brunchCiscoDined on 5/11/2014Food was good but not very many stations. Service was somewhat slow but they were very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Mother's SayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014From the time we arrived to the time we left the service was excellent. The food was better than we expected and I'm looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for business meetingsBridgetDined on 5/9/2014I like the Oak Grill because I can meet with a client and work without a noisy and disruptive environment. The food is always excellent and the prices are low.Special Features:
- Still as good as everEdinamomVIPDined on 4/24/2014My family loves the popovers. Our waitress brought us extras! We were there just before closing on a weeknight and it was not very busy. The french onion soup was especially good. Free parking after 4pm also. We will be back.