1052 Minot Ave
Auburn, ME 04210Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.macsgrill.com/
- Phone: (207) 783-6885
- Hours of Operation:
Daily 11:30 - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Paul Landry
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Mac's Grill
We are a high energy restaurant with a vibrant neighborhood bar and grill appeal. Though we are known for our steaks, you will find there is something on the menu to please anyone in your group. We serve Choice Black Angus beef which is hand cut daily on the premises. Whether you are looking for a full course meal, or just out for a cold beer and a great burger, you are sure to feel right at home. So, throw on your most comfortable jeans and join us for a great meal and lots of laughs. Just a couple miles from downtown Auburn, you can't miss our log cabin featuring a comfortable deck for outside dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mac's Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (14)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (6)special occasion (6)great for lunch (6)fit for foodies (5)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)romantic (1)Show More
- return to Mac'sJimGDined on 11/7/2014My wife and I had not been to Mac's in over 10 years so we were looking forward to the event as we always enjoyed it either as a couple or when we brought the kids. Found that the open deck area had been replaced with a new larger bar with seating and that the old bar area had been replaced with more seating. While this certainly allowed for larger crowds and/or gatherings we felt a loss of the small intimate if somewhat crowded neighborhood gathering place. Food was good and we certainly recommend it for those that have never been but I suspect that a lot of the die hard "Mac'ers" also miss it and will be looking for the next "small" joint to open up and be their new gathering place before getting to large to have that special ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- localdinerDined on 11/7/2014Service and food were excellent. One of our favorite spotsSpecial Features:
- Not so prime ribmnelsonDined on 11/1/2014One of the worst prime ribs I've had, even in Maine. The prime rib at longhorn is better than what I got at Mac's.
- Good Food, ambiance needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Great steaks all around. Filet and rib eye in particular. Specialty salads unimpressive. Tables are too close for re privacy or romantic evening. Okay service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014As always the food here was delicious and a good size for an affordable prize. However, the service has been extremely slow the last few visits; slow on refilling beverages, and the food took a while to come out. It was extremely busy as usual but it appeared as if our waitress had a few too many tables to handle as she was just about running from one to the next and between the two dining rooms and kitchen. We were seated in the new dining room this time and it was quite noisy, we sat on a table for six and it was difficult to understand the person at the other end. Also, the tables were placed so tightly together where we had no room to sit comfortably. I still recommend it. great food, great price. But need more space and more staff.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly, casual log cabin spot.NYMomVIPDined on 10/10/2014Ventured outside our usual college weekend local restaurants-so glad we did! My husband's steak,son's burger and my salmon were filling and we were able to carry on a conversation in the back dining room. The front room seemed more like a fun bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The same as a chainnorthernmomVIPDined on 10/10/2014Had dinner on a Friday night - the steaks were decent enough, but the rest of the meal was actually below chains in quality. I had a glass of wine and my son wanted just water, but getting a refill for his water glass required major effort. Stick with the chains if you want steak and potatoes.
- RomanticgjaskDined on 9/29/2014Mac's Grill is a great place to get a great Steak. The chef is outstanding and the food is cooked to perfection. I asked for a medium rare steak,what i got was just perfect. A beautiful steak with a perfect baked potato with seasonal (corn on the cob) what a nice touch.And the waitstaff was so accommodating. I had arranged to have flowers sent to restaurant and they arrived early so the staff placed them in cooler ( to keep them fresh ) till we arrived and placed them on table before wife could see them,was she surprised! We will always remember them going out of their way to make our evening terrific.Special Features:
- Always a Great Time2DogMomDined on 9/19/2014Mac's Grill always delivers--great food & great service. THE place to go for steak. If you're a steak-lover, you owe it to yourself to go to Mac's.Special Features:
- Great food, slow service.TicklortegaDined on 9/13/2014We've eaten at Mac's probably a dozen times over 3 years or so. We have family nearby and this is where we usually eat dinner together. The steaks are always great and the menu has plenty of options for everyone. Even our kids have a great time. The service is incredibly slow as of late. We are usually a table if 7 or so which makes us a larger party. So I can understand that it takes longer. However, the waitstaff wasn't very sympathetic to our wait and didn't do much to make it better. Or even acknowledge we waited an hour for entrees. If quality takes time, then they should service their tables to be patient and help with the wait by being more attentive, filling drinks, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed the food and drinks but the restaurant was so so loud that we couldn't have a conversation which wasn't the most pleasant thing. We left the restaurant and went to an ice cream place where we could sit down and have a conversation.Special Features:
- Great ServicePanctilDined on 8/30/2014New owners made great improvements to restaurant with expansion of dining while keeping great food options. Short Ribs and Mussel app were excellent. Service was great. Wait staff all help each other out without asking.Special Features:
- One of My FavoritesPineTreeStateDined on 8/23/2014This is one my favorite Lewiston-Auburn area restaurants. It rates near Fishbones and Fuel, but with a more casual atmosphere. The steak offerings are excellent. Others at my table report that the seafood is very good. The wine list is respectable and reasonably priced. Service always is friendly. Great for birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine's Day. Almost fit for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good food, fair dealChiefDined on 8/19/2014A step above the typical grill. Food is better than expected, service was memorable, ambiance was nice. No complaints here. I would recommend this jewel to everyone visiting Auburn/Lewiston.Special Features:
- great steaksBarb47Dined on 8/10/2014Although we found the restaurant to be a bit noisy, the food was worth the visit. The mussels were very good. I found the filet wrapped in bacon with garlic butter to be one of the best I have eaten out. It was nice that it came with green beans sautéed with almonds as well as a potato choice and a salad. The desert are plentiful servings for sharing and delicious. Our waiter was friendly and attentive. It seemed to be a local favorite(or perhaps a well kept secret) - mostly Maine plates in the lot. Make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All round great experience!RLCMDined on 8/9/2014Used open table to make a reservation for our anniversary dinner and waited only two minutes to sit at our table. Our server was friendly and able to answer questions. Service was quick and the food was amazing. We enjoyed the B.B.Bullets for an app and the Blue cheese crusted short ribs over pasta was delicious. We will be back and will bring our kiddos. The fast service and atmosphere is exactly what we need when dining out with our three year old.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very loud and the food was marginalSteakloverDined on 8/6/2014My first visit to Macs in over two years. Quite disappointed overall. The lobster roll, while tasty, was well short of the two lobsters advertised. The steak tips were the worst I have ever had at any restaurant. They were tough and tasteless. I sent them back and ordered a mini-mac that arrived 15 minutes after everyone at my table was done eating. The mini-mac was very good. I was charged full price for my meal despite the unacceptable tips and inconvenience. The atmosphere was that of a very loud sports bar. Our waitress was the best part of the whole experience. I will not be returning to eat there and if the food quality doesn't improve, Macs will not survive. There are many better options out there at better prices.Special Features:
- The following 202 reviews are from the Mac's Grill reviews archive.
- Always Satisfying. Worth a Visit!EatonWrightDined on 7/14/2014We visit Mac's Grill on a regular basis. The ingredients in their dishes are always fresh, the meals are flavorful and the wait staff is attentive to their customers. What else could you want in a good restaurant? We give them an A Plus!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014group of four, sat in old bar section, a lot quieter than other areas and liked that more.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014We sat in the new addition and the energy was great. Our server made the night so enjoyable. She was fun, energetic and extremely knowledgeable of everything on the menu, from the cuts of beef to the bar libations. The food was also fantastic. We all had something different and it was all cooked to perfection. Go, enjoy....................you won't regret it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealOzzieDined on 6/25/2014Just a very good meal with excellent service! The drinks were above average and the wait staff we had did a very nice job ( sorry her name escapes me)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GreatsmackallicaDined on 6/20/2014Awesome new addition, rib eye still rocks! Great beer selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- try it, you'll like it!VegheadDined on 6/15/2014Chairs are hard (for us old folks); restaurant is noisy (again, us old folks have a hard time hearing with background noise); food is excellent; menu is varied--something for everyone, though not a large selection for vegetarians (the grilled veggie wrap was very tasty); wait staff very accommodating to tastes, offering sides in place of fries. You can pay a lot or a little. Good place for a gang to go have a great time!Special Features:
- Excellent filet hereTravelerDined on 6/7/2014It was a Sat nite. We went early but as the crowd increased so did the noise. Great dinners!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mac's GrillHamkelDined on 6/4/2014First time going to Mac's Grill. Heard alot of good things so finally we decided to go. Was not disappointed at all. The food was excellent, beers were nice and cold and the service was very good. I will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Best steak aroundelectropaulDined on 6/1/2014I can always count on my steak being cooked right. Good all around menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodLibsDined on 5/11/2014Macs is a family staple for above average comfort food. Never had a bad meal here. The braised short rib is incredible. The kids love the bb bullet appetizer. The corn muffins are great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!CleanPlateClubDined on 5/10/2014Food was excellent and offered a little something for everyone. They also had a fairly good size beer selection, in addition to the plain ol' domestic standards. The staff was very friendly. No complaints here!!Special Features:
- Delicious Food and Friendly ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Always a hit! I have tried many menu items and have never been disappointed. The Mac's Filet is one of my favorite items. Melt in your mouth tender and always cooked to perfection. Highly recommend the onion rings for an appetizer and the French Onion Soup. My husband can't get over the burgers. You will thoroughly enjoy Mac's Grille.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/2/2014Wanting a smaller portion, I got the 6 oz. sirloin, medium well. It arrived looking like a piece of shoe leather. It took a while to get the server back to the table, but to her credit when she saw the steak she knew it was overcooked. But rather than taking the whole plate, she just took the meat. It took quite a while to get a replacement, and by that time, the rest of the food on the plate (mashed potatoes and corn) was cold. When the new steak arrived, again it was an odd cut - half was of appropriate thickness to be cooked properly, but the other half was thin and therefore cooked like leather. My Mom ordered the prime rib sandwich, but it was also overcooked. I did not get charged for my steak which was a nice gesture.
- Love this place! We've been2inpolandDined on 3/28/2014Love this place! We've been going for years and the food has always been great. You've gone through many changes and I haven't been disappointed. Nice selection on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The beef's at Mac'sBillsEatsDined on 3/23/2014As always if you are looking for expertly cooked steaks and good beef go to Mac's. You will not be disappointed. Fun atmosphere and attentive staff. We were very happy with our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Locally Owned, with great foodBellSkiDined on 3/21/2014Mac's is a great neighborhood restaurant. It has wonderful food, great ambiance, and great service. We were a large group and the staff got everything right -- they even had to deal with 2 young children. The steaks are always so tender, the fries are the best around, and the buffalo chips top the scale for the best appetizer. The newly expanded area is great -- a large bar with a variety of choices and big screen television. This place has something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awsome as usualcrystalDined on 3/8/2014I love macs grill..they make superb food never disappointed. would go every nite if i couldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good spot...FOREWHITDined on 3/1/2014I always enjoy going to Mac's Grill. The new bar is great now!! I enjoy a great steak every time I visit here. The service is always great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family eveningDazieMaeDined on 3/1/2014We all enjoyed our meals. The wait staff was wonderful. Our steaks were delicious. Hostess very friendly. We will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steakDanwestparisDined on 2/28/2014It is all about the steak at mac's. The flavor and tenderness could not be beat no matter what you would pay at another restaurant. Cannot be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our recent visitFRCDDined on 2/12/2014We had not been to Macs for some time. And, thought we would spend an early valentine there. We were craving ribs. So we went with high expectations. We were quite disappointed. The service was only ok and we remembered it to be great. The food was not acceptable. One diner's ribs were only fat...and the explanation was that it can happen with ribs. One diners sweet potato fries were cold. The bread was only passable. We mentioned all this to our wait staff and to the manager?, but was told that they were short of staff. We will not return.
- new owners or bad managementOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014we had reservation so our wait was short to sit, waited longer for a waitress to come greet us and take our drink order.had read the menu so long we were also ready to order food. finally food came and mine was great and my husband's was not even what he ordered. so i ate then he ate, not what we went out to eat for. never was offered anything except sorry not sure what the kitchen is doing but we will fix it ...15 mins later he got what he ordered ! the food was good ..but service and dining area need improvement to be what we call anice resturant not a pub! No deseert menu ;( atleast we where never offered one ! very Pub likeSpecial Features:
- FootballOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/2/2014Great spot to watch a game. Beautiful Bar with a great selection of brews. A bit disappointed that they didnt serve off the menu for the big game. Only apps were available and it was during the dinner hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.