157 E Houston St.
New York, NY 10002-1004Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.macondonyc.com/about.php
- Phone: (212) 473-9900
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Tuesday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday: 2:00pm - 2:00am, Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Starting On June 9th Macondo will be Opened For Lunch 12pm-4pm!!
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Macondo
Located at 157 E. Houston Street, Macondo brings Latino comida de la calle (Latin street food) to the gourmet level with a menu offering seven different signature items representative of cuisines from all over the Spanish-speaking world. Macondo was created by f and emerging restaurateur Héctor Sanz, the pioneers of Estilo Libre Latino (Freestyle Latino) cuisine. It serves arepas from Venezuela, cocas from Barcelona, churros con chocolate from Spain, and tacos from Mexico and features a Brazilian Juice Bar with freshly-squeezed extracts. A fresh fruit cocktail menu will be designated by "fruit" + "spirit" and, in a New York City first, Macondo will introduce Escanciar Sidra, a traditional and dramatic way of pouring hard cider that originated in Spain in which the liquid cascades four feet from a spout into the customer's glass to create a brief, Champagne-like effervescence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Macondo reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (21)good for groups (21)fit for foodies (17)neighborhood gem (12)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (9)great for lunch (5)late-night find (3)romantic (2)special occasion (2)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- My New Go-ToDevonDined on 11/11/2014Macondo is by far, some of the best Latin I have had. It is incredibly difficult to take food people know & love culturally & tweak it to hit the "gourmet" level w/o losing everything that makes it what we love. The Tostones w/mojo & queso were outstanding. Simply those 3 ingredients, yet, perfect. Every bite was balanced & delicious. The drinks!!!!! I tried 3 different ones & wanted them all (Bonus: Cocktails by the carafe. You will want to) Each is delicious & you will feel compelled to come back for more (Tamarindo + Tequila, DO NOT skip the cinnamon salt & I hate salted margaritas) I will say though, skip the sangria, go for a cocktail... Overall, they fully deserve the Michelin bid and you want to make this your new regular spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent nuevo latino fusionhome2cookVIPDined on 11/1/2014Second time at Macondo. Excellent for small bite , very creative tapas. Flavor combinations are intriguing. Worth a stop.Special Features:
- BrunchizzieDined on 10/18/2014Good for brunch and unlimited drinks for 2 hours. Ambiance in the back is very nice.
- Always reliablealtermoodDined on 10/15/2014Macondo is the gem of the east village for me. Every time we are in the neighborhood, it's our top choice for a great meal.Special Features:
- Just oknotanativeVIPDined on 10/12/2014I've been to this restaurant twice for brunch. Both times the group participated in the $15 for unlimited mimosas for 2 hours. The first time I went my group was seated between two large groups and we couldn't get the woman to refill drinks for the life of us. We had to literally wave her down and request her to give us refills. Which she would typically do only after refilling for the larger tables-leaving just enough to halfway fill our cups. The second time I went it wasn't as busy and our server was much more attentive and nice. But, getting more drinks, honestly you're just drinking juice. I would recommend skipping the alcohol portion and just getting the food. Everyone enjoyed the food they got. Portions are small.Special Features:
- Delish brunch!MalTDined on 9/20/2014Ordered the brunch special which for $15 bucks served me unlimited mimosas for 2 hours! The Huevos Rancheros were savory, and service was attentive and quick!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome OverallSukiSinghfoodieDined on 9/13/2014The hostesses were awesome, this is a great start to a great meal. We had reservations for 2 but had a last minute guest 20 minutes before our reservation and they did their best to accommodate us and they did an excellent job! We ordered the 2 hour unlimited mimosas and that sums it up to complete fun. Had the best girls day brunch there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best mimosas in the east villageaparker22Dined on 8/30/2014Unlimited mimosas is the way to go! Great food, awesome wait staff and always a good time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food and serviceanneVIPDined on 8/24/2014Service was great! Sad to say that is rare in NY anymore. Food was really good as well and never fails. I only wish the acoustics were a little bit better. We would have stayed longer and ordered another sangria pitcher if we could have heard each other across the table. Overall a great spot though!Special Features:
- Great food, good servicekazkomolafeDined on 8/17/2014The food was great, but the service was a little slow and disjointed. It was still a fun and relaxed brunch for a big group.Special Features:
- Bad serviceNyc222Dined on 8/16/2014My food was good, very good actually and I would consider going back only for that reason, but service was very bad. Our server paid no attention to us. She brought out our food all at different times. My friend was done with her meal before I even got mine. We constantly had to wave her down.Special Features:
- Happy hr shld be on food & drinksHoldtheSaltDined on 8/13/2014Came here with my friend for dinner & drinks during Happy hour, the arepas were delicious and so were the you can fries. They should make happy hour on food and drinks, which by the guava whiskey tasted good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodClaraDined on 8/10/2014Good food, good service, but nothing exceptional. The place is a little small. They use one table for mor than one reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never again,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Worst service ever, food took a really long time come to find out food inspection was there so they couldn't cook anything until she left, she never left.
- Fun atmosphere, decent foodNewtonycVIPDined on 8/2/2014The sangria tasted a little like juice, but the food was pretty good. I loved the Brussels sprouts side more than my entree and the guacamole was awesome.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely DisappointingDiningDiary123Dined on 8/2/2014My experience at Macondo was very disappointing. First,the waiter placed random diners at our table.There were 4 vacant tables.The entire rear of the restaurant was unoccupied. It's unfair to make guests feel uncomfortably cramped in an effort to make the restaurant look like a packed "hot spot" to passersby. More importantly, the food was unsatisfactory.The restaurant prizes itself for their buckets of empanadas. My bf and I were served COLD empanadas.We believe they were frozen and not fresh,as the chicken inside was chilled when we cut into our dish. We attempted to order the short rib tacos but were told by the waiter that they were all out of short rib meat(at only 7 pm!) Overall, the quality of the restaurant was very weak.
- great for brunchjakl09Dined on 7/27/2014great drunch and service. food portion was tad small, but i forgot it was tapas. really good mimosas.Special Features:
- The following 93 reviews are from the Macondo reviews archive.
- Brunch, food and drink. A+ReturnOfTheMacDined on 7/20/2014In short, the mimosas are amazing, as is the food. If you're looking for a quality NYC brunch venue, though, I know it isn't hard, Macondo is among the best. The staff is always amiable and energetic and provide you with quality service. Furthermore, their Brunch menu is amazing, and the $15 two hour all you can drink mimosa special is one-in-a-million. While all three flavors are great, the elderflower variety gets points for original deliciousness. I had the Yuca Con Carne (paprika hanger steak, with an egg and yuca fries), which was amazing. I recommend it to all.Special Features:
- Lively place with tasty food!!!greatDined on 7/11/2014Everything was delicious from the cocktails to the empanadas and main dishes. Simply fantastic!!!Special Features:
- the perfect go-to spotfanyaDined on 7/3/2014Everything on the menu is wonderful. Personal favorites are the tuna & salmon based dishes. The atmosphere is both casual & intimate, which makes it an excellent spot for relaxing with favorite friends, or having an easily romantic evening. Having a cocktail or a glass of wine at the bar is also delightful. The staff is friendly & accommodating. I would definitely say that this is one best restaurants in the city.Special Features:
- Great Experience!LoveMacondoDined on 6/29/2014Had a great brunch dining experience! The service was INCREDIBLE! Great drinks and even better food. I would definitely recommend Macondo for an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- brunch funOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/22/2014had a great bottomless Sunday brunch experience. server was Danielle, she was awesome. menu prices are a deal. three types of mimosa, kept the glasses full. food was solid too. left pretty 'happy' by the time we wrapped this up!Special Features:
- Good food, eh servicehungryhippoDined on 6/21/2014Ordered a bunch of tapas which were yummy, though the yuca fries were under-cooked and way too hard to eat. There was an issue with drinks at the bar in the front and the back, and I felt like the service thereafter was a bit poor. Not sure if it was the corner table or if we upset them. Anyways, I'd go back in hopes of slightly better service the next round.Special Features:
- HH/Empanadasefw3VIPDined on 6/12/2014Awesome happy hour prices, incredible empanadas and chorizo tacos.Special Features:
- Food is great...service is NOTOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/11/2014Went here for the first time last week in the evening. The good was absolutely delicious. Unfortunately the service was seriously lacking. It felt like none of the servers had ever done this before. Constantly disappearing, taking food before we were finished, not offering us anything...
- Tuna!YumtownDined on 6/10/2014great drink list. fun cocktails either individual or in a pitcher. Menu looked good but only tried the tuna...DELISHSpecial Features:
- Great brunch!MsSabrinaEDined on 6/8/2014Went here for brunch when my sister and multiple friends were visiting. They loved it! Even though half of my party came late due to traffic in LES, we were still seated and got our full 2 hours session of unlimited mimosas. The drinks were great and the food was too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food let down by slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/8/2014Went for brunch on the weekend and the food was delicious. We had steak and eggs and the salmon Benedict, both served with a Latin twist. They had a drink package which we didn't opt for, but it seems like good value. The service was quite slow. I don't mind waiting for food but waiting to place orders for drinks is frustrating. Overall, a decent brunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Dinner with FriendsclinedinerDined on 5/30/2014The drinks were outstanding. We got a whole bunch of appetizers and empanadas to share and it was a great decision. Was full but comfortable and everything was delicious. The patatas bravas were the highlight for me. Was a bit loud which was fun for girls night but might not be a great place for a first date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch visitkwbgDined on 5/25/2014Came here for my birthday brunch with friends. Service was not great, entire staff seemed inconvenienced by us being there from the start. The food was delicious though and I'd give it another try, hopefully it will be better overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KatieDined on 5/18/2014Made a reservation for 3 and they sat us at the counter. Would have preferred a table for easier communication, but overall the experience was positive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it's fineOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/17/2014not too busy on the wknd. everything was just ok. sunny side up eggs were all overcooked, but they were able to accommodate a large group and were flexible with our timing because they weren't too busy. if you have a large group that will not be on time, go here for brunch. they are very accommodating. worth it to have food that was just ok to have the flexibility.
- Wednesday Night Sleeper PickghsbetzVIPDined on 5/7/2014I've been here twice now -- most recently on a Wednesday night -- and it's been great each time. If you're in the area and are in the mood for tapas hit up Macondo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot for Tapassrk49VIPDined on 4/26/2014Great small plates. Patata bravas very good. Tuna cubes seasoned perfectly. Gazpacho delicious. Ceviche inside an avocado very interesting. Very young crowd. All 20's and 30's. Didn't bother us at all because the food and service were really wonderful. Would return for the great food.
- Definitely a must for TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/24/2014Dinner was great... They have a few vegetarian options ... The drinks are really good ... Food is better ... Check it out for a fun dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUSMarieEveDined on 4/19/2014The service is awsome. The food is great. The decor is very nice. This is a good place for a long brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Latin street food grows upSilverFox58VIPDined on 4/11/2014The Latin music keeps the energy high, but it's the food coming out of Macondo's busy kitchen that'll make you want to come back. Macondo takes the greatest hits of Latin street food from many countries and puts a bunch of it on one menu. Traditional Spanish tapas mix well with arepas and empanadas from South America. Try the grilled octopus or the roasted short ribs to start. The ceviches are well prepared and fish tacos are superb. For fun, just order a bunch of stuff, some sangria or a bottle of Albarino, and share. A fun night that won't break the bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi style meets Mexican fusionInsideoutNewYorkVIPDined on 4/9/2014Always my go-to spot when I have a group I want to entertainSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool little spotPharaohNYCDined on 4/6/2014I had brunch with a friend here and and we enjoyed ourselves a great deal. Our Spanish waiter was friendly, funny and very attentive. The food was delicious and we like the $13 for bottomless mimosas in different flavors. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Fun atmosphere! Service couldChiefDined on 3/30/2014Fun atmosphere! Service could have been better, but overall we had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.