2925 N Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60657Neighborhood:
Lakeview / East Lakeview
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.vusuarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7733608816x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Macku Chan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: www.vusuacatering.com
- Entertainment: Live Jazz
A word from Macku Signature
Progressive Japanese cuisineContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Macku Signature - Best Restaurants in Lakeview / East Lakeview ›
Macku Signature reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)special occasion (20)romantic (19)neighborhood gem (18)notable wine list (3)good for groups (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Best Sushi in ChicagoRiverNorth1212VIPDined on 9/15/2014I have been to most sushi spots in Chicago and Macku is by far the best. It is most similar to the sushi I had in Japan. The quality is great. It is truly a gem. Our waiter was amazing! He talked us through all the specials and gave us perfect hints on what to look at on the large menu. We had primarily specials and signature nigiri. The way the chef pairs the nigiri with foods other than wasabi and ginger is a delight. Each bite is perfect. We especially enjoyed the tuna flight, lobster special, and unagi nigiri. Would recommend this resturant to anyone who loves sushi!Special Features:
- Chef Macku is AmazingAmazingfoodDined on 9/13/2014There are regular Japanese restaurants and there is Macku Signature. Everyone of their dishes were amazing. Me and my date did a tapas type servings, we shared, and there wasn't one dish we didn't say amazing towards. I would definitely suggest you look at their specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best sushi in ChicagomaryDined on 9/5/2014Chef Macku is a true culinary artist. He and his team have mastered the art of hospitality and fine dining in every sense. Creative, delicious, beautiful, sumptuous -- a feast in every tasty morsel. His thoughtful wine list pairs expertly with his very special cuisine. This is possibly the finest restaurant in Chicago and our favorite.Special Features:
- The bestScottyKDined on 9/3/2014This sushi is from heaven. Best meal I have had all year. The specials are insane. Hamachi with banana peppers is awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely incredibleLarnsethDined on 8/30/2014I took my family to check this place out and we have never had such a great experience at a sushi bar. The server was very knowledgeable and helpful, the chefs were amazing, and the food was the best I've ever had. I will certainly return to this diamond of a restaurant and would highly recommend everyone who loves top quality sushi to do the sameSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experience!!BoboDined on 8/23/2014Great dining experience especially since Chef Macku was in the house that evening. We tried the Omakase experience (chefs choice)-- he did not disappoint---every single dish was spectacular and our waitress did a fantastic job of explaining everything as well as passing on the chefs recommendations for ever dish. I would definitely recommend this place -- guaranteed fresh!Special Features:
- Not your typical sushiCJDiningVIPDined on 8/18/2014This was some of the most creative sushi I have eaten. It's not paired with soy sauce and wasabi. The pairings are carefully selected, and the sushi is fresh and very good. It's not inexpensive, but the high quality sushi is worth it.Special Features:
- Top Mark JapanesesnofroDined on 8/9/2014Magnificent and fresh preparations, both on and off menu.Special Features:
- bugdocedVIPDined on 8/7/2014Awesome omikase of unusual tastes and flavors Not sure what people are calling pretentious as we thought it was fun Thanks Macku for a wonderful eveningSpecial Features:
- Great food, slow serviceAuntBunny85Dined on 7/22/2014Great food, wonderful presentation. The sushi was very fresh, flavorful. Drawback was the service was very slow. The time between the appetizers and the entree was so long I got hungry again. Once we were served, it took quite some time to get the check. Not sure if I'll return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sublime sushiDrLarryVIPDined on 7/18/2014Exotic and amazing specials were all featured in the omakase (chef's choice tasting); carrot ginger soup with lobster; lobster and foie gras ravioli, outstanding nigiri...all were outstanding. Unfortunately, my partner is vegetarian, and they offered no options. They did make a veggie roll that was totally uninspired, so avoid if you are not adventurous!Special Features:
- Great music, service, and food!musicalfoodDined on 7/16/2014First of all, we were delighted with the beautiful jazz music by singer Elaine Dame and her guitarist partner that night, Kyle Asche. Ms. Dame moved and thrilled the enthusiastic diners/listeners with her compelling interpretations and beautiful voice. Secondly, our server was completely knowledgeable about the entire menu and wine list, and he made wonderful suggestions which were universally enjoyed. His friendly and cheerful demeanor made the evening all the more pleasant. Thirdly, the food was delicious - every single dish was scrumptious. An evening to remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nigiri over makiTimelessDreamzDined on 6/22/2014The taste and quality of their nigiri are significantly better than their maki rolls. I wouldn't change anything about their nigiri but they should improve their maki rolls to make them as good as their nigiri!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quickly becoming a favoriteChiFlyVIPDined on 6/21/2014Macku does a great job at presenting more creative and original presentations and flavors of traditional sushi. All the dishes are artfully presented, but the combination of ingredients turn the plebeian into the fantastic. I have yet to find a dish or flavor combination I did not like. The fish is incredibly fresh and there are meat surprises on the menu as well. Well worth a visit - and see if you don't come back as well.Special Features:
- Nivel2041Dined on 6/20/2014This was our first time at Macku Signature on Halsted but we are regulars at the Clybourn location. the Sweet potato/lobster broth soup is outstanding and I always order it!. There are no disappointments at this restaurant only the freshest sushi, beautifully conveived and served. Need to et the word out in Lakeview.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/18/2014I am a bit shy about raw anything, but I throw all caution to the wind at Macku Signature because the ingredients in each dish are so beautifully, deliciously combined, I am surprised and delighted by everything I eat here! Our server was also terrific at describing the dishes and recommending wonderful choices. To make it even more special, the wonderful singer Elaine Dame performs there on Wednesdays. Her performance does not overpower conversation, and she has a beautiful voice interpreting a wide range of repertoire. Really adds a nice touch.Special Features:
- Pretentious and not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/12/2014Having been to enough sushi places around the city, I expected better since it came highly recommended by another sushi fan. The food was overly complicated and pretentious. For all the hype and explanation from our server, I expected amazing. At best, the maki were below average. The nigiri was less than a bite. The flying fish special was disgusting. It took our server 10 min to go over the specials, put them on a piece of paper!
- Great Find, Great FoodChiFlyVIPDined on 6/5/2014We had a wonderful meal. The fish is extraordinarily fresh, the service was exceptional and the price was reasonable for what we ate. We found some creative dishes and tried new flavors because of it. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- The following 76 reviews are from the Macku Signature reviews archive.
- Timeline SubscriberOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/22/2014Visited restaurant before Timeline theater. Was very impressed with the quality of the items our party selected from the extensive, primarily Japanese-oriented menu. Will plan on coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions, not so freshStanVIPDined on 5/9/2014ordered a bunch of non-maki dishes to start. The flying fish was served in an absurd Vegas fashion. All tiny and not so tasty. The rolls were hit and miss. Had to keep asking for more soy sauce. Disappointing.
- Overpriced and UnderwhelmingTravelFoodieVIPDined on 4/22/2014We went to dinner at Macku on a weeknight using a Groupon. The service was not that great. Our waiter never offered to tell us the specials, never refilled my hot tea, seemed pushy to get us to order more food when we hadn't even started eating, and when we asked for recommendations, he was not helpful at all. I even asked him for more details on a particular nigiri and he said "It's fish." Well, obviously. The food was underwhelming and overpriced. Considering the large number of sushi restaurants in the area, I don't think this place is going to last long. I won't be coming back.
- Godo looking place on Halsted.DomingoDined on 4/20/2014We had an early dinner reservation at 5:30 pm on a Sunday. The restaurant was pretty much empty at the time. Few people came in once we were seated. Good ambiance, attentive staff, and good food. Well-balanced food and libation menu. The sweet potato soup was excellent. The white tuna sashimi was good too. Portions are small. Wouldn't mind going back to this place again or trying their other location, Macku Sushi.Special Features:
- DeliciousJ2DubDined on 4/19/2014First rate. We'll be back. I am writing more because Open table requires more letters. The fact that I will return to this restaurant says it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where is the signature?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2014Same menu as Clybourn location with bigger numbers. Sushi still best fresh in town. Specials presentations are over the top and not really that necessary, the accompanying sauces are perfectly matched. Everything has gotten just a little too pretentious making for a stiffer, stuffier dining experience. Kind of reminds me of trotters: too drawer but stuck in a rut yet still insisting on great fanfare and kudos. Glad I went, but won't be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fabulous, plate presentatiTheaterbuff102Dined on 4/12/2014Food was fabulous, plate presentation was exquisite, and service was top-notch. Glad to have this place in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Service, Fair FishBobLoblawVIPDined on 4/11/2014Service: Server brought one incorrect dish then was clumsy about rectifying the problem, completely failed to bring another dish, and recommended one cocktail as not sweet (it was very sweet) while advising that another was even sweeter (it wasn't). Food: We loved Mirai Sushi back in its early days, and hoped to find the same inventive delicious "new style" Japanese at Macku. Not quite. A blue marlin special was gorgeously presented and was quite scrumptious; the individual new style nigiri also were mouth-wateringly good, but the rolls were a bit bland and a kitchen dish - black cod with chocolate miso - was overcomplicated and far less satisfying than some of the chef's old dishes at Mirai (i.e., steamed white fish ginger).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good goodJaleeVIPDined on 4/2/2014Yum! Not authentic but pretty much the closet you can get in THE MID WEST.Special Features:
- A nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/29/2014We went with a group of four, unsure of the quality of the dishes, given that lots of trendy Asian fusion places often insult the food of the cultures that they are trying to blend together. The signature dishes at Macku were outstanding. The carrot and sweet potato soups were well balanced and tasty as was the lobster dumpling in a broth. The rolls were flat. Remember! Stick with the signature items and you can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulSushifanDined on 3/29/2014The service was just awful. It took us a half hour to order (restaurant empty) and when we hadn't gotten our sushi an hour and a half later I lost my patience. The appetizer special was not good, the salad was not fresh, the toro was not good (hard to do!). Everything was disappointing for over $100 of sushi. I came home and ate a balance bar.
- Impeccable service with a smileOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/29/2014I have never written a review featuring on the service at a restaurant, but our waiter was extraordinary, the best I've had anywhere. Not only was he responsive in the usual ways expected for a waiter at an upscale restaurant, but he was also very down to earth, making what would have been a hushed upscale experience into something very relaxing and even fun. His love for the food mainly came through, and his enthusiasm was infectious. He was an excellent guide to ordering, and we enjoyed the more "adventurous" sushi he recommended.Special Features:
- Good food but poor servicejdwi1124VIPDined on 3/20/2014Delicious food, not your typical sushi menu. Service was poor however. We had a reservation but I was asked to wait at bar until my friend arrived. Lost a nice window booth because of that and ended up sitting right in front of the kitchen. The portions were very small, so we had to keep ordering dishes and each time we did, it would take about 20 min to a half hour for our dish to be served. It was a meal that lasted much longer than it should have. The waitress was apologetic but the restaurant wasn't even at capacity.Special Features:
- Happy hourChicagodinerVIPDined on 3/17/2014Arrived too close to end of happy hour. Upon arrival, asked Hostess if it was too late. She seated us and went to ask chef. I entered happy hour in the reservation comments also. Would have been happy to wait at front desk so she could come back to let us know if it was too late and if so we would have left to come back another night for happy hour as being a Monday night we did not want to splurge on dinner. Instead, we waited. The waiter came to take our order and we had to tell him we were waiting to hear if it was too late for happy hour. He went over to her and at this point she came over to let us know yes too late. Which was fine as we should have arrived earlier but situation was not handled well. Regrettably got up and left.
- Macku's signature nigiri,LovesYummyVIPDined on 3/16/2014Macku's signature nigiri, while pricey, were some of the BEST pieces of sushi I've ever had! The fish was melt-in-your-mouth fresh, and the toppings that the chef prepared each piece of nigiri with were unexpectedly delicious. Because of the prices, however ($4-10 per piece), one probably would not make a meal of the signature nigiri. That said, Macku's sushi rolls are also quite tasty (and less pricey, making them a more cost-efficient option). Overall, while the sushi is delicious, when you factor in cost, I would have to say that Macku is probably 4 out of 5 stars. Get a Groupon if you can--only then is it TRULY worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the nigiriSeaWolfeDined on 3/12/2014Our waiter recommended that we try the nigiri and sashimi, he said it was their specialty, and boy was he correct. Talk about a flavor explosion in my mouth. The nigiri we ordered was phenomenal, Tako, Suzuki and Shiro Maguro. In addition, we order some makimono that was also delightful. The ambiance of the place was a plus, very intimate. The staff, also, was something to rave about. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the food and extremely friendly and attentive. I would most definitely recommend this joint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value, high qualityDDubsVIPDined on 3/12/2014Consistent with it's Clybourn location, the menu has very good price points, especially for its entrees. The duck is consistently excellent, the portion is generous enough to be a full entree. This time we tried the crispy cod that was served with chocolate miso and sliced strawberry, which was good when taken together but separately it's a little disparate. Macku is wonderful addition to the neighborhood, the space is open enough for groups, the well edited decor lends itself to a modern feel without being contrived. This is our fourth visit since opening and will be our neighborhood go to for a nice dinner out, approx $60 for two with appetizers, entrees, drinks and tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best sushiTiffDined on 3/10/2014Absolutely love Macku. I had only ever been to the location on Clybourn. I think this location might be new. The chef is here and he does an amazing job. Everything was delicious. Especially the rolls topped with truffle oil!Special Features:
- Great Sushi Experience!DEL605VIPDined on 3/10/2014It's nice to find a sushi place that is upscale, unique, has a FULL BAR (BYOB is ok once in awhile, but...) and is doing something high-end when it comes to the food - not just covering it all up with sauces and mayo. This place is about SUSHI and while the chef is creative, it's not designed for "the masses". By that, I mean that many places cator to the less "adventerous" sushi eater and they create these crazy maki that you can't even tell there's fish in there because of everything else that's bundled in or the gobs of pretty-colored mayo that supposedly makes it a "foodie" experience. Not. This place is about fish - and quality - and while you will pay more here, you wlil get more. Service is a little slow, but worth the wait. GO!Special Features:
- Definitely will go back :)ElleontableDined on 3/9/2014Our server was Bianca, she was pleasant and friendly. Made great recommendation of menu items. We tried out several of the special off-menu items like the Rock Fish (whole fish presentation), Live Uni, and Ishidai, and all were excellent in presentation and taste. Definitely a place for foodies out there and a romantic experience. The green Tea mousse was to die for, I miss it already!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!AndieDined on 3/2/2014As you walk in it has a serene atmosphere, clean line, tastefully done dining area. I ate with 2 friends and we ordered an appetizer & a couple of rolls. My favorite was the Unagi. I ordered the duck as my entrée and it was absolute delicious - the sauce didn't over power the meat which was a plus & the plating was very pretty. Now for my cons, my friend had to look for parking because there was no valet (on a Sunday) and I wanted to order the Braised Pear for dessert, but was told they ran out of pears the day before. Overall, this is a MUST go to restaurant! My friends and I will be going back soon. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Amazing SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/22/2014Probably one of the best sushi - freshness and presentation - I have had.Special Features: