2925 N Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60657Neighborhood:
Lakeview / East Lakeview
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.vusuarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7733608816x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Macku Chan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: www.vusuacatering.com
- Entertainment: Live Jazz
A word from Macku Signature
Progressive Japanese cuisineContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Macku Signature - Best Restaurants in Lakeview / East Lakeview ›
Macku Signature reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (27)special occasion (20)neighborhood gem (19)romantic (18)good for groups (4)notable wine list (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Great find !SalsagirlVIPDined on 10/9/2014Our first experience here and we totally enjoyed the food and restaurant . Our only slight hiccup was that they didn't have a second bottle of the wine we had initially ordered and recommended a different grape. It was okay with the food but not a great recommendation. But other than that the service was excellent with very good suggestions and input .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/4/2014Food was great! But even better than the food was our server. He did a great job of recommending different types of fish. We felt like VIPs because he shared which types were just flown in that day. The only negative was that the lighting was a little too bright.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!Shopgirl312VIPDined on 10/2/2014My husband and I were very impressed with Macku Signature. Had been to the Macku on Clybourn many times but had never been to this location. It is a gorgeous restaurant - pretty but also comfortable. Loved the food. I eat cooked sushi/seafood only and there were plenty of options for me. My husband had the special tuna option as well as some hand rolls made with that tuna (Bluefin? I can't recall). He loved it and wants to go back soon.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/1/2014This is not just a high end sushi restaurant, this place ranks with the fine dining elite. For those who love food and seek out the very best this is it. You will remember this food experience and value it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushimkr68VIPDined on 9/28/2014The sushi, especially the signature maki are some of the best sushi that we have eaten in Chicago (and we go out for a lot of sushi). His other food, especially his soups are is also very good. The downside is that the prices are pretty steep, and the atmosphere is kind of staid. During the fall they do a Tues. night discounted prefix which is a really good deal.Special Features:
- jazz!joleneDined on 9/24/2014Great jazz on Wednesdays with Elaine Dame! And good food options for those of us who don't eat raw fish. Gorgeously detailed presentations and very attentive wait staff.Special Features:
- This is the kind of Sushi I neededDaDingaDined on 9/23/2014I used to be a regular at Kaze back when it was still open in Roscoe Village, so for me Macku Signature is very happy reincarnation. The sweet potato soup is just as delicious as I remember it, if not better. For the level of Sushi awesomeness you receive the prices are exceptionally cheap. I will be back, I will be bringing my friends and their friends and families. Truly one of the best Sushi places in the city. If you love awesome traditional sushi but also crave unique flavor pairings then this is the place for you.Special Features:
- Great food but priceySkmeatVIPDined on 9/23/2014The sushi is fantastic and the presentations are unique. However, the cost is high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful food presentationGuzzi1Dined on 9/21/2014Food was not only beautifully presented but also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in ChicagoRiverNorth1212VIPDined on 9/15/2014I have been to most sushi spots in Chicago and Macku is by far the best. It is most similar to the sushi I had in Japan. The quality is great. It is truly a gem. Our waiter was amazing! He talked us through all the specials and gave us perfect hints on what to look at on the large menu. We had primarily specials and signature nigiri. The way the chef pairs the nigiri with foods other than wasabi and ginger is a delight. Each bite is perfect. We especially enjoyed the tuna flight, lobster special, and unagi nigiri. Would recommend this resturant to anyone who loves sushi!Special Features:
- Chef Macku is AmazingAmazingfoodDined on 9/13/2014There are regular Japanese restaurants and there is Macku Signature. Everyone of their dishes were amazing. Me and my date did a tapas type servings, we shared, and there wasn't one dish we didn't say amazing towards. I would definitely suggest you look at their specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best sushi in ChicagomaryDined on 9/5/2014Chef Macku is a true culinary artist. He and his team have mastered the art of hospitality and fine dining in every sense. Creative, delicious, beautiful, sumptuous -- a feast in every tasty morsel. His thoughtful wine list pairs expertly with his very special cuisine. This is possibly the finest restaurant in Chicago and our favorite.Special Features:
- The bestScottyKDined on 9/3/2014This sushi is from heaven. Best meal I have had all year. The specials are insane. Hamachi with banana peppers is awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely incredibleLarnsethDined on 8/30/2014I took my family to check this place out and we have never had such a great experience at a sushi bar. The server was very knowledgeable and helpful, the chefs were amazing, and the food was the best I've ever had. I will certainly return to this diamond of a restaurant and would highly recommend everyone who loves top quality sushi to do the sameSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experience!!BoboVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great dining experience especially since Chef Macku was in the house that evening. We tried the Omakase experience (chefs choice)-- he did not disappoint---every single dish was spectacular and our waitress did a fantastic job of explaining everything as well as passing on the chefs recommendations for ever dish. I would definitely recommend this place -- guaranteed fresh!Special Features:
- Not your typical sushiCJDiningVIPDined on 8/18/2014This was some of the most creative sushi I have eaten. It's not paired with soy sauce and wasabi. The pairings are carefully selected, and the sushi is fresh and very good. It's not inexpensive, but the high quality sushi is worth it.Special Features:
- Top Mark JapanesesnofroDined on 8/9/2014Magnificent and fresh preparations, both on and off menu.Special Features:
- bugdocedVIPDined on 8/7/2014Awesome omikase of unusual tastes and flavors Not sure what people are calling pretentious as we thought it was fun Thanks Macku for a wonderful eveningSpecial Features:
- Great food, slow serviceAuntBunny85Dined on 7/22/2014Great food, wonderful presentation. The sushi was very fresh, flavorful. Drawback was the service was very slow. The time between the appetizers and the entree was so long I got hungry again. Once we were served, it took quite some time to get the check. Not sure if I'll return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sublime sushiDrLarryVIPDined on 7/18/2014Exotic and amazing specials were all featured in the omakase (chef's choice tasting); carrot ginger soup with lobster; lobster and foie gras ravioli, outstanding nigiri...all were outstanding. Unfortunately, my partner is vegetarian, and they offered no options. They did make a veggie roll that was totally uninspired, so avoid if you are not adventurous!Special Features:
- Great music, service, and food!musicalfoodDined on 7/16/2014First of all, we were delighted with the beautiful jazz music by singer Elaine Dame and her guitarist partner that night, Kyle Asche. Ms. Dame moved and thrilled the enthusiastic diners/listeners with her compelling interpretations and beautiful voice. Secondly, our server was completely knowledgeable about the entire menu and wine list, and he made wonderful suggestions which were universally enjoyed. His friendly and cheerful demeanor made the evening all the more pleasant. Thirdly, the food was delicious - every single dish was scrumptious. An evening to remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 82 reviews are from the Macku Signature reviews archive.
- Nigiri over makiTimelessDreamzDined on 6/22/2014The taste and quality of their nigiri are significantly better than their maki rolls. I wouldn't change anything about their nigiri but they should improve their maki rolls to make them as good as their nigiri!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quickly becoming a favoriteChiFlyVIPDined on 6/21/2014Macku does a great job at presenting more creative and original presentations and flavors of traditional sushi. All the dishes are artfully presented, but the combination of ingredients turn the plebeian into the fantastic. I have yet to find a dish or flavor combination I did not like. The fish is incredibly fresh and there are meat surprises on the menu as well. Well worth a visit - and see if you don't come back as well.Special Features:
- Nivel2041Dined on 6/20/2014This was our first time at Macku Signature on Halsted but we are regulars at the Clybourn location. the Sweet potato/lobster broth soup is outstanding and I always order it!. There are no disappointments at this restaurant only the freshest sushi, beautifully conveived and served. Need to et the word out in Lakeview.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/18/2014I am a bit shy about raw anything, but I throw all caution to the wind at Macku Signature because the ingredients in each dish are so beautifully, deliciously combined, I am surprised and delighted by everything I eat here! Our server was also terrific at describing the dishes and recommending wonderful choices. To make it even more special, the wonderful singer Elaine Dame performs there on Wednesdays. Her performance does not overpower conversation, and she has a beautiful voice interpreting a wide range of repertoire. Really adds a nice touch.Special Features:
- Pretentious and not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/12/2014Having been to enough sushi places around the city, I expected better since it came highly recommended by another sushi fan. The food was overly complicated and pretentious. For all the hype and explanation from our server, I expected amazing. At best, the maki were below average. The nigiri was less than a bite. The flying fish special was disgusting. It took our server 10 min to go over the specials, put them on a piece of paper!
- Great Find, Great FoodChiFlyVIPDined on 6/5/2014We had a wonderful meal. The fish is extraordinarily fresh, the service was exceptional and the price was reasonable for what we ate. We found some creative dishes and tried new flavors because of it. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Timeline SubscriberOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/22/2014Visited restaurant before Timeline theater. Was very impressed with the quality of the items our party selected from the extensive, primarily Japanese-oriented menu. Will plan on coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions, not so freshStanVIPDined on 5/9/2014ordered a bunch of non-maki dishes to start. The flying fish was served in an absurd Vegas fashion. All tiny and not so tasty. The rolls were hit and miss. Had to keep asking for more soy sauce. Disappointing.
- Overpriced and UnderwhelmingTravelFoodieVIPDined on 4/22/2014We went to dinner at Macku on a weeknight using a Groupon. The service was not that great. Our waiter never offered to tell us the specials, never refilled my hot tea, seemed pushy to get us to order more food when we hadn't even started eating, and when we asked for recommendations, he was not helpful at all. I even asked him for more details on a particular nigiri and he said "It's fish." Well, obviously. The food was underwhelming and overpriced. Considering the large number of sushi restaurants in the area, I don't think this place is going to last long. I won't be coming back.
- Godo looking place on Halsted.DomingoDined on 4/20/2014We had an early dinner reservation at 5:30 pm on a Sunday. The restaurant was pretty much empty at the time. Few people came in once we were seated. Good ambiance, attentive staff, and good food. Well-balanced food and libation menu. The sweet potato soup was excellent. The white tuna sashimi was good too. Portions are small. Wouldn't mind going back to this place again or trying their other location, Macku Sushi.Special Features:
- DeliciousJ2DubDined on 4/19/2014First rate. We'll be back. I am writing more because Open table requires more letters. The fact that I will return to this restaurant says it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where is the signature?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2014Same menu as Clybourn location with bigger numbers. Sushi still best fresh in town. Specials presentations are over the top and not really that necessary, the accompanying sauces are perfectly matched. Everything has gotten just a little too pretentious making for a stiffer, stuffier dining experience. Kind of reminds me of trotters: too drawer but stuck in a rut yet still insisting on great fanfare and kudos. Glad I went, but won't be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fabulous, plate presentatiTheaterbuff102Dined on 4/12/2014Food was fabulous, plate presentation was exquisite, and service was top-notch. Glad to have this place in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Service, Fair FishBobLoblawVIPDined on 4/11/2014Service: Server brought one incorrect dish then was clumsy about rectifying the problem, completely failed to bring another dish, and recommended one cocktail as not sweet (it was very sweet) while advising that another was even sweeter (it wasn't). Food: We loved Mirai Sushi back in its early days, and hoped to find the same inventive delicious "new style" Japanese at Macku. Not quite. A blue marlin special was gorgeously presented and was quite scrumptious; the individual new style nigiri also were mouth-wateringly good, but the rolls were a bit bland and a kitchen dish - black cod with chocolate miso - was overcomplicated and far less satisfying than some of the chef's old dishes at Mirai (i.e., steamed white fish ginger).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good goodJaleeVIPDined on 4/2/2014Yum! Not authentic but pretty much the closet you can get in THE MID WEST.Special Features:
- A nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/29/2014We went with a group of four, unsure of the quality of the dishes, given that lots of trendy Asian fusion places often insult the food of the cultures that they are trying to blend together. The signature dishes at Macku were outstanding. The carrot and sweet potato soups were well balanced and tasty as was the lobster dumpling in a broth. The rolls were flat. Remember! Stick with the signature items and you can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulSushifanDined on 3/29/2014The service was just awful. It took us a half hour to order (restaurant empty) and when we hadn't gotten our sushi an hour and a half later I lost my patience. The appetizer special was not good, the salad was not fresh, the toro was not good (hard to do!). Everything was disappointing for over $100 of sushi. I came home and ate a balance bar.
- Impeccable service with a smileOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/29/2014I have never written a review featuring on the service at a restaurant, but our waiter was extraordinary, the best I've had anywhere. Not only was he responsive in the usual ways expected for a waiter at an upscale restaurant, but he was also very down to earth, making what would have been a hushed upscale experience into something very relaxing and even fun. His love for the food mainly came through, and his enthusiasm was infectious. He was an excellent guide to ordering, and we enjoyed the more "adventurous" sushi he recommended.Special Features:
- Good food but poor servicejdwi1124VIPDined on 3/20/2014Delicious food, not your typical sushi menu. Service was poor however. We had a reservation but I was asked to wait at bar until my friend arrived. Lost a nice window booth because of that and ended up sitting right in front of the kitchen. The portions were very small, so we had to keep ordering dishes and each time we did, it would take about 20 min to a half hour for our dish to be served. It was a meal that lasted much longer than it should have. The waitress was apologetic but the restaurant wasn't even at capacity.Special Features: