584 Washington St
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
TurkishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.machkasf.com/
- Phone: 4153918228
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am
Dinner: M-Th 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:30pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Turkish, Greek
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Machka
Machka is an intimate Turkish-inspired restaurant with an impressive wine program located in San Francisco's financial district.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Machka reviews from OpenTable diners
- A nice mealgogo702Dined on 11/2/2013First time at Machka, I was recommended by a friend to go and try it out. They have an interesting wine list with wines all around the world (even Greek wines are present). The service was outstanding as the waiter made us feel at home. No rush as I have experienced in other restaurants. The only negative thing that I would say is the room temperature which was very high and the smell of food throughout the place. It doesn't allow you to really smell you food.Special Features:
- Good Food with a smiling serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2013Great twist on some of the traditional Turkish dishes. Definitely save room for Kunefe (under the desserts)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server was knowledgeableBeamer62Dined on 10/26/2013Our server was knowledgeable about the menu and wine list. Everything we had from food perspective was excellent. My spouse ordered the sea bass, the portion was really small and the serving of potatoe that came with was also rather small. My suggestion would be to increase the size of the portions some what and might as well be a little more generous with your starch on all the plates. One issue with the menu was being out of one entree and only had four entrees on the menu, and no specials. Overall, we had a nice experience and and took a long time over dinner with friends, which worked well with the service since they seemed to be a little short staffed.
- My Favorite restaurantJaekieVIPDined on 10/23/2013Love the food and on top of that, great service - what else do you need?Special Features:
- Atrocious servicelookngfrqualityDined on 10/11/2013After a pleasant dining experience last year at Machka, we took our friends there last Friday night. It was a memorable evening, but not a positive one. The restaurant was crowded, as expected, but what we did not expect was a forty-five minute wait for our food, where one of our group was given her meal thirty minutes before anyone else, where my dinner was put in front of me only to be taken away a minute later after being told that wasn't meant for our table. Then the waiter offered to comp our table with a bottle of wine, only to then charge us for it when the bill was presented. After we complained, he told us the "management" refused to honor his promise to us. We were outraged, to say the least and will cross Machka off our list.
- Great Turkish FoodKittylimpkinsVIPDined on 10/2/2013Had a great evening with family and friends spirited by our waitstaff and Chef. The food was delicious, lots to choose from, delectable blending of Turkish spices. Been there for lunch too and had a great time.Special Features:
- I showed up and the restauranty2shortVIPDined on 9/29/2013I showed up and the restaurant was shuttered and padlocked.
- Great food!!!hmmmVIPDined on 9/25/2013Great energy, too! However, I was disappointed that I brought in a coupon that didn't expire. The waiter said Machka ended their relationship with the company and didn't want to accept it. This is the only restaurant I've encountered in the city that has handled the situation like this and I thought it lacked professionalism and good will. I somehow thought "does not expire" meant "does not expire." That's Machka's choice to end their relationship, but don't embarrass and disappoint customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant!!DaffersVIPDined on 9/20/2013Not only is the food delicious but the ambience is fun (with Turkish movies from the 50's playing on an outdoor screen) and the service is always excellent! It's like being transported to lovely Istanbul!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fidi Turkish restaurantfoodieSFDined on 9/17/2013Service great - server let us try a couple of the Turkish wines. We had the lamb burger, kabob and vegetable soup of the day.Special Features:
- More of a bar than a restaurantGetRealVIPDined on 9/16/2013My tiny $10 beet salad was assembled ahead, with a a few leafs of arugula thrown on top to make it look fresh. It wasn't. It was watery from sitting in a cooler for several hours. Then came the seared Branzino that the waiter strongly recommended. Again the portions were measly. For $25 I got three scraps of tail fillet with flesh barely thicker than the skin, on a shmear of potato puree (not a serving) with some carmelized fennel and a few cherry tomatoes. For $25 I'd expect a whole fish or a very generous fillet. I got neither. The restaurant isn't comfortable either. All of the tables except one (a long shared table) are a bar height. If you want booze with expensive "tapas" come here. If you want a real meal go someplace else.
- AH-MAZIN'. Turkish cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2013AH-MAZIN'. Turkish cuisine elevated to like Zeus' level. Greek, whaaaaat?!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Kebabs, Moderate PricesOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 8/16/2013In downtown SF, it's hard to find a moderately priced restaurant with table service. Machka fits the bill. Lunch menu items are priced in the mid-teens, and you don't need to order appetizers just to compensate for skimpy entree portions. The lamb kebabs were delicious and cooked to order. They came with a bit of pilaf and a few greens. I would have been even happier if these side dishes had been just a touch more generous. But given the very ample portion of kebabs, they were sufficient. If you're a real carnivore, you'll find the proportions to your liking. Machka is a welcome find in a part of town where lunch choices have polarized into take-out sandwiches and three-course, three-star, three-dollar-sign, three-hour extravaganzas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/14/2013The restaurant was extremely good about giving us a bottle of wine because they had messed up an earlier dinner reservation for our dinner club. Service was really slow but it was busy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ihave spent time in Turkey,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2013Ihave spent time in Turkey, and the food here compares to the best in Istanbul == geat eggplant App, served with chips.== a great way to start.- Lamb and chicken dishes were seasoned just right---- service was friendly and energetic===only issue is the high top tables with bar stools [ no back ] . which are not very comfortable for a dinner sitting-- only option is one communal table.I woud like a few traditional seatings.JSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicely DoneOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/7/2013We had a fabulous lunch. The menu is well balanced and we loved the goat cheese, carmalized onion and honey appetizer. Our waiter was jammed but he had a nice way of apologizing and understanding that we were there to be served. More waiters ought to learn this. Acknowledge the customer, tell them your swamped, and be friendly about it. I will come back just because of him. Our kebobs were nicely seasoned. Try the Turkish beer,,,perfect with the spices. A warm atmosphere in a great part of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food & obscene noise levelFoodholicDined on 7/31/2013The dining experience of terrific food was marred by the ambient noise level which was loud enough to stun the patrons. I recommend this place only for the deaf or nearly deaf who do not want to carry a conversation with their dining companions. Delicious baba ganoush served with warm baked pita chips sprinkled with paprika, tender octopus, & buttery pilaf awaits those who are willing to put up with the unpleasant noise level.Special Features:
- Fun for LunchredcarmenDined on 7/23/2013Our server was charming. The food presentation lovely and yummy to eat. Our timeframe was respected.Special Features:
- Unremarkable food, poor servicepickyeaterVIPDined on 7/22/2013Confused but friendly service. Mediocre food. I wouldn't go back.
- We had a great experienceDinningVIPDined on 7/20/2013We had a great experience at Machka. The food was very good and the service was excellent. We plan to go back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for lunch on a quietScooterVIPDined on 7/15/2013Went for lunch on a quiet Monday. Service was excellent, the waiter recommended a dessert - Kunefe which the three of us shared. Dessert composed of shredded fried filo dough on top of mozzarella drizzled with orange blossom syrup. Accompanied by a scoop of almond ice cream. Sweet, salty, crunchy texture all in one. Waiter refilled our water numerous times even though the bottle was on the table...great waiter! Entrees were acceptable although durum/wraps were a little dry. Suggest adding some tahini sauce on the side. Decor is trendy and upscale....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood Find!NancyVIPDined on 7/13/2013The food was great, the abmiance warm and inviting, good beverages and exceptional service. I took 5 friends -- none of us had been before. It was a lovely evening. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall food was very good.FoodieWannaBeVIPDined on 7/12/2013Overall food was very good. Unfortunately it was just so loud in the restaurant. We couldn't hear each other without having to yell and lean in. Our waiter was great. The pistachio crusted goat cheese and the lamb tartare were amazing. So were the desserts!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/3/2013Food was great; all 3 courses. The service was slow since one server can't possibly cover an entire restaurant! But, he was super-friendly and surprisingly helpful and personable while incredibly busy. Owners, give the guy some help! We will be back.Special Features:
- MachkaKTK318VIPDined on 6/29/2013This was our first time here & we have been exploring Turkish-Middle Eastern cuisine. Food was very good. Server was very well-informed on the starters and entrees which was very helpful. Seating is tables for two, one window seat prepared for 6 or 8 (perhaps only by request?), and a large communal table. I was shocked that my Open Table reservation got us four seats at the communal table at the front door. That said, flavors danced on our tongues with wonderful dishes. Great Turkish coffee too served demitasse style.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/24/2013Nothing special. Very small tables, dimly lit, can be romantic. But food is a bit overpriced for quality and portion size. Better off going to Kokkari for similar food.Special Features:
- Just OKmetooVIPDined on 6/22/2013The food was good but the menu did not accurately describe what came. . . there were changes. And a woman, I think one of the owners, occupied the communal table with an infant making that unattractive when I came. Later, she wheeled the child about in a carriage and my meal was interrupted by a child crying.
- Great service and the spaceRRRRDined on 6/21/2013Great service and the space is very confortable/relaxing for friends to catch up. Turkish coffee with Turkish delight on the side is always me fave.Special Features:
- Good food, bad lightingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2013Had a lovely lunch, but had to request to move tables as the lights are mounted so low you're starting directly at a bare bulb instead of your companion's face. Just an impossibly bad bit of design. If they raised the lights 6”-12”, diners would be much more comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/19/2013We found this by walking down the street from my office. The service is super friendly. The menu is compact. Everything they do is done well. The fare is light and refreshing. We had the goat cheese with honey and onions - superb. The fish was perfect. Apricots stuffed with mascarpone finished the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is an absolute gem in the fdOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2013I visited SF recently and a friend recommended this cozy joint for dinner.I was pleasantly surprise by the quality and standards of the food. I could not believe having 5 star food at 3 star prices.I honestly don't remember having food as good as this in Turkey. This is an absolute gem in the financial district. Friendly but not in your face staff and the beautiful chandelier in front as you enter and the warm atmosphere will make me go there every time i visit SF. The starters were so yumi i had to have 2.:) Babaghanooch and The Goat cheese. I had steak to follow and low and behold, it was done to perfection. I am in food business myself and i have to give Machka thumbs upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I dined alone at Machka lastHusovalVIPDined on 6/8/2013I dined alone at Machka last weekend and was extremely impressed with the food and the service, which was provided by a young Turk who had sparkly eyes and reminded me of the gracious people I encountered when visiting his country. Happily, the menu extends beyond the typical hummus and kebob offering you find at most Turkish restaurants. I had the grilled octopus salad that I'm going to be craving like mad now. The Branzino was also lovely and, though, I didn't have room for desert, the kitchen sent out a plate of complimentary apricots stuffed with marscapone cheese, covered in pistachios and sitting on a drizzle of pomegranate glaze. Yum! I can't wait to come back and am telling everyone I know about this little gem.Special Features:
- had a great timekurtDined on 5/24/2013food and service were great. loved the chocolate desert at the end. Would recommend to anyone looking to try something a little different.
- Flavorful Mediterranean!!!LivingLargeVIPDined on 5/14/2013Lentil soup, goat cheese appetizer and fava beans appetizer were especially remarkable. Warm, attentive service. Will be back soon!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Machka may have the look ofmetooVIPDined on 5/4/2013Machka may have the look of a pub but the food is very much better than that. They have a great chef. Lentil soup was subtly spiced and wonderful. Pistachio crusted goat cheese was a great appetizer and a main course of lamb chops was superlative. Service was caring and the pricing is modest for the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Excellent Service tasty food!OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 4/29/2013I met a friend from out of town staying at the Embarcardero Hyatt. I'm vegan, and the host/server had planned ahead with menu recommendations and a special soup for me. We shared small plates and the vegan kabob. The fava bean/pea salad in smoked paprika vinaigrette was excellent, as was the fatoush salad. I liked the selection of wines by the glass and the service. It's a small place and we were there on a Monday, but everything was tasty and the atmosphere and service were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had reservations at 5:30..showedTurkfDined on 4/27/2013We had reservations at 5:30..showed up early, before open. We were still seated and had the place to ourselves. Wonderful food and nice place. They has on old Turkish movie showing, which added to the atmosphere. All the food was fantastic, especially the goat cheese rolled in pistachios. Yummmm
- Food was superb! Loved theDaffersVIPDined on 4/26/2013Food was superb! Loved the beautiful chandelier and the black and white Turkish film noir playing at the entryway. Everything we ordered was delicious....reminded us of Istanbul. We will be back. A find!Special Features:
- The food is flavorful andOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/12/2013The food is flavorful and service is attentive. The big drawback is the pub-table/bar stool type seating, which is very uncomfortable! I appreciated the fact that the restaurant called to tell me they could not accommodate my request for seating at the very limited "regular" table space but would not consider Machka again for a business lunch due to the bar stool seats. I will continue to drop in for a casual lunch on occasion because the food is good! I would not recommend Machka for dinner due to the bar stool seating.Special Features:
- Food was great, wine was great,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013Food was great, wine was great, and Al makes everything easy for us. Thank you for the memorable night.Special Features: