1235 W. Lake Street
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://macellochicago.com/
- Phone: 3128509870x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Accommodate 120 people for a sit down dinner, 25 people in our private dining area.
Three different menu choices for "family style" dining, "elegant dining" and or "salad and pizza" party. Also, facilitate "buffet" style dining.
- Cross Street: Racine
- Public Transit: Green & Pink Line - Ashland/Lake, Morgan/Lake
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet parking during lunch hours 11am - 4pm.
$8 Valet parking Fridays and Saturdays after 5:00pm
Street and parking lot available after 6:00pm
(Located on the northeast corner of Lake/Elizabeth)
A word from Macello
Italian cuisine from the Puglia region of Italy, Steaks & Chops. Macello, a rustic Italian restaurant and market/deli located in the Warehouse District (West Loop), offers an airy dining room with wood beams, exposed brick, and two wood-burning ovens. The menu features plenty of thin crust pizza; linguine with mixed seafood in a spicy cherry tomato sauce. The butcher shop inspired market located in the front of Macello stocks cured meats, cheese and food from the Puglia region- the "boot heel" of Italy. Macello appropriately translates to "slaughterhouse"-- the building housed a slaughterhouse in the 1920s.Continued
Macello was recently rated as the "BEST PIZZA" in Chicago by Chicago Magazine (July 2010)
Will be open for lunch in September 2010!
Macello was recently rated as the "BEST PIZZA" in Chicago by Chicago Magazine (July 2010)
Will be open for lunch in September 2010!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Macello reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)good for groups (30)fit for foodies (29)notable wine list (20)special occasion (17)romantic (14)kid-friendly (14)great for outdoor dining (11)great for lunch (7)hot spot (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- highly recommendCassieDined on 8/23/2014I found Macello through the ChefsFeed app, which recommended the pizza pugliese. We went for dinner in a small group before a concert at the United Center. Between two couples, we split two appetizers they had on special, pizza pugliese and two entrees and it was more than enough food for us (and we are big eaters). Everything blew us away in terms of the quality and authenticity of the food, the level of service and the ambiance of the space. It was just a beautiful meal altogether. They offered a grilled calamari and octopus dish over rapini and fava beans as one of the appetizers that was outstanding, the breads & pizza crust were fresh and light, the noodles homemade. We will definitely return and highly recommend Macello!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good the 2nd time!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/14/2014This was my second visit to Macello's and unfortunately it was not as good as my first visit back in June. The service and food were just so-so this go around. This is a very cute place with alot of potential. My first visit the salmon and risotto were delicious, the second visit the salmon was cooked ok but the risotto was way over cooked and tasted like mush. My dinner guest ordered a calzone and although the crust of the calzone was good the filling was watery and not good at all (my guest commented that he had better calzone's at sbarros'...ouch!). The panacotta and sorbet for dessert were very good (thankfully).Special Features:
- First time hereChooseChicagoVIPDined on 8/12/2014Was looking in this neighborhood, and saw the positive ratings on OpenTable. There is a little deli in the front as you arrive, and a welcome fragrance from the wood burning pizza ovens. The staff is welcoming and proud of their menu and concept. The food was flavorful and just the right portion, without the over serving of food so common today. The service is quick, without being rushed. Try the sea bass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodsloopyDined on 8/10/2014Macello is one of those places in Chicago that I go back to at least once a month. I don't live in the West Loop but manage to get there often because the food is great, the service is always good, parking is so easy, and no matter if you order pizza, their brick ovens send out an aroma that just smells and feels like you are in Italy. Excellent cavatelli Al forno bolongnese, all pizza, perfect risotto and so on.....great find and not overly trendy which is nice in the west loop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West loop gemSnoopdogDined on 8/7/2014My famy love this place for the delicious food, attentive service and great atmosphere. A real gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Wow-what a fantastic place! We went here for a bachelorette party dinner and it was absolutely wonderful. Brilliant back patio, impeccable service, delicious food and wine list(highly recommend the Carciofi Ripieni and Pizza Macello). The atmosphere of the back patio made the evening-relaxed and felt like you're in Italy. I am definitely going back!Special Features:
- BarneyBarneyVIPDined on 8/2/2014The food and ambience were not as good as the last three visits to the restaurant. It was too hot to eat outside on the patio and the outdoor spot does not meet expectation - needs more vegetation and atmostphere. Stick to the indoor space!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chicago SpotBiddyBooDined on 7/28/2014Macello's is just an all around great spot - a small outdoor patio in back, and a warm, inviting dining room with always good food and friendly staff. We have been there multiple times and are never disappointed.Special Features:
- Hidden GemAdda40VIPDined on 7/28/2014Tucked away in an industrial area below the Lake Street "L" is a hidden gem for regional Italian fare. Macello features the Barese regional style cuisine. In addition to the numerous meat and fish entrees, pizzas and flat breads are also prepared in the prominent wood-burning oven. Vegetarians will also praise the numerous meatless options. One of my favorites are the Farro based dishes which are a welcome alternative to the ubiquitous pasta and risotto dishes found in many Italian restaurants. The dining room is most inviting, set around a continuously burning brick oven. The delightful and serene backyard dining area is a wonderful place to sample the delicious food when the weather permits. You will soon forget the your urban location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServicejenniferVIPDined on 7/23/2014Really enjoyed our experience - our server was fantatstic!Special Features:
- great italian foodSASsyEaterDined on 7/19/2014The food was great and the ambiance was also wonderful. The only complaint was that the server was a tad distracted for such a small place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smokey Business LunchTimeZoneTravelerVIPDined on 7/14/2014I chose this location as it was a midway point to interview a potential employee over lunch. The place was dead, completely empty at noon on a Monday. However, within 30 minutes of sitting down, a few more patrons also arrived. The decor was pretty interesting: half warehouse loft and half Italian market; the place couldn't really decide what it was. But, the biggest takeaway was the smokiness of the place. The two fire ovens either weren't properly flued or mismanaged. Once we left the building, we were covered in a campfire smoke smell. It was so annoying that I had to leave my office early to shower and change clothes before my afternoon flight. I would not recommend this place for a business lunch, but the food was great.Special Features:
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/11/2014I actually work a few blocks away from the restaurant and had never been in. It is beautiful inside and good food. Excellent wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in a relaxed settingpicolo61Dined on 7/9/2014Interesting décor, great service, tasty food with a homemade touch, strong Italian wine list, lively atmosphere, good value. A nice neighborhood find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MacelloWineanddinemeDined on 7/6/2014We found this restaurant last minute because we didn't want to eat at City Winery where we were going to and it was a great find. Our food was wonderful and we had a very personable waiter and the decorations were fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and abundantPoissonDined on 7/2/2014Have been to Macello twice for business dinners. The room is attractive, warmly decorated and good for conversation. The food is beautifully prepared and the portions are rather enormous - the seafood in particular has been excellent. The pizzas are first-rate as well. Good list of interesting Italian wines. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- macellomikeeats59Dined on 6/28/2014It was our second time dining here. The food is excellent, service good and prompt. A really nice room also. We enjoyed the the shrimp oregano appetizer as well as the carpaccio, which is topped with a little arugula salad that features grape tomatoes and shaved pecorino. Then we ordered a salad to share without realizing that the salad was essentially the same thing we just had with the carpaccio. Although the onus for such a misstep was on us, a little heads up from the server would have been appreciated. That said, the meal was lovely and they treated us to complimentary dessert and limoncello. I would recommend Macello for the quality food, service and atmosphere. Nice wine list too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/28/2014I have been here many times and it never disappoints!Special Features:
- We loved Macellonam426VIPDined on 6/25/2014This restaurant is amazing. The food was spectacular, we felt like we were back in Italy. The colorful atmosphere was great and fits with the vibrant personality of the food and people working there.Special Features:
- Loved itmaddymadVIPDined on 6/24/2014What a great experience.... Outstanding menu, great bar area, roomy restaurant and even has a quiet, outdoor dining area. Loved the artwork on the walls and the painting on the walls in the women's room blew me away. The food??? great! scallop appetizer, salad etc all outstanding. Our entrees were great as well. Service was attentive until it got a bit busy..... had to wait way too long for our bill. Definitely try the homemade Limencello!Special Features:
- 2BonAppetiteDined on 6/18/2014This was my brother-in-law and nephews birthday celebration and although I was only visiting in Chicago they enjoyed it tremendously and said their family would certainly visit there again. It was a very quaint Italian restaurant and the food and wine selection was exceptional. The waiter provided excellent service and information on the dishes we each selected. When visiting again I would definitely return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Celebrating a graduation.ItalianfoodieDined on 6/11/2014One of our familie's favorite neighborhood restaurant. Love the Chilean sea bass!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!Dgbrown52Dined on 5/31/2014Went last Saturday and initially sat on the patio...very nice, but too hot for 5:30 in the afternoon...would be perfect in the evening. The waiter and hostess, however, were very happy to reseat us in the restaurant, even though we had already ordered. Decor is great, food was delicious, service was very good, and price was reasonable. We'll be back to try the pizza!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service to match!ChitowndrummerDined on 5/29/2014We live nearby and can walk to Macello, for which we are very grateful! This is a wonderful neighborhood Italian place where the quality of the food is exceeded only by the outstanding service. They have a wood-burning oven that produces delicious, authentic think crust pizzas and other entrees, and in general everything on the creative menu tastes like it is made from scratch. The restaurant also boasts an extensive and affordable wine selection as well as a deli counter up front for carrying out pastas, cheeses, olives and other imported Italian delicacies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but goodTraveljunky62VIPDined on 5/29/2014Old warehouse redone so acoustics are loud. Food is solid italian with a twist. Stuffed artichokes were excellent, so were desserts (gelato and cannoli). Veggie risotto was a hit. Least impressive was the pizza with artichokes and olives. Good ingrediets bit should have been chopped and spread over pizza. Early there was a kids graduation party, but after they left it was still noisy. Worth a try!Special Features:
- Great FindChewChewBeanDined on 5/24/2014This was our 2nd visit. Very good food, nice neighborhood vibe, friendly service. Enjoyed the pizzas a lot. Huge party (20?!) was arriving and settling in as we were leaving. This was good since the noise level amped up to a point that would have diminished our experience. We will definitely be back! It was too chilly to use the patio but we look forward to that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual, gourmet Italian food..BethVIPDined on 5/18/2014Macello is always a food treat. Unusual pastas, fish, wood burning treats (rack of lamb tonight), cheeses and more.
- Great way to celebrateComicRickyDined on 5/18/2014Went here after law school graduation. We were seated immediately and our waiter was very attentive. The Zuppa di Pesce was not on the menu, but the chef prepared it for me. It was fantastic. Wines are not over priced and high quality. Since I told them on OpenTable we were celebrating, they brought us complimentary Lemoncello shots with the dessert. Really nice. The chairs are the only drawback. They are a little tough to sit on for more than an hour or so, but don't let that detract from your experience here.Special Features:
- Delicious!msgjkg88VIPDined on 5/17/2014This was our second visit and enjoyed it even more! Their seafood is outstanding! Pastas are amazing. Huge portions. I had the seafood risotto which was filled with so much seafood. Only complaint was the rice was a tad too al dente. Service is very attentive -- but both times we have been here was early before a show, so I can't speak for what it is like when the restaurant is full. Will definitely go back. Tons of variety on their menu!
- Slipped a bitdineinthecityDined on 5/11/2014My wife and I came here prior to a Hawks game. We allowed plenty of time, so our dinner was not rushed at all. Macello has always been a favorite spot, but it was a little disappointing this time. From our waiter, who was indifferent the entire time, to the dishes, which were off, they missed the mark. Stuffed artichoke app was bland, grilled octopus and calamari were rubbery and lacking flavor, and the braciole tasted like red sauce from a jar. Too bad, I hope this place hasn't slipped permanently
- What happened?VeganfoodieDined on 5/9/2014I'm hoping this was just an off night because I've been to macello a handful of times and it's always been wonderful. Last night the waiter was consistently rude, the appetizer bread was burnt and had an 'off' taste and the food was just mediocre. What a disappointing night out with friends. I'm really glad we weren't there for a special occasion or with out of town guests. It will be a while before I give it another try.
- We are Going BackTCDMDined on 5/8/2014We went early on a Thursday because we were going to a play. That makes it difficult to make a judgment on ambiance when the place is more crowded. That said, our food was very good! The Pork Chop stuffed with prosciutto was delicious, and massive! The mushroom risotto that accompanied it was so good that all of us agreed that the next time we came we would be very tempted to try the risotto entrees. The mixed seafood grill over pasta really satisfied the true fish lover in our group -- even though it too was quite large, there was none left for the doggie bag! Two interesting pastas with different red sauce were fine, but not anything to rave about. Stick to the slightly different items, and we think you will be very satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 466 reviews are from the Macello reviews archive.
- The real dealBestAuntDined on 5/3/2014This is a great little find for authentic Italian food. Our waiter was great- very helpful and friendly (also authentic Italian!). I would definitely encourage people to try it out if they are looking for a nice, upscale casual place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and coming back!HBarryDined on 5/2/2014My husband and I wanted to celebrate a new job and found Macello. We were able to get a Friday night reservation that day and I was not disappointed. Food was great. Service was pleasant. Wine was fabulous. A few notes: 1. We received a call a few hours before our reservation to tell us that they had been just slightly overbooked at our time due to a Black Hawks game and attendees wanting to eat and get out by a certain time. I was more than happy to push it back a half hour to make things easier for everyone and thankful for the call! Great service! 2. Get a bottle from the Italian region that their menu pulls from 3. Server very pleasant and helpful.Special Features:
- Dining experPrincessVIPDined on 5/2/2014Food, as ever, was excellent. Definitely must try the fish salad! Great spot to run into friends.Special Features:
- Bland this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/2/2014Dined here numerous times before but this time our pasta dishes were lacking flavor. We added salt to help but still a disappointment
- peeweeDined on 5/2/2014As always food was great and service was top notch even on a very busy Friday night Great spot to go before an event at the UCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Macello - good times and good foodACBBankerVIPDined on 5/2/2014Macello has a great atmosphere and even better food. Service was great and portions were plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great servicesugarocket99Dined on 4/26/2014Everything about the experience was perfect - from the waiter's wine recommendations to special food items presented that were not on the menu - all in all, my favorite Italian place in the city. Never fails to disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good stop before game at the UCRacefan33Dined on 4/21/2014Very close to UC. Our party of four had a nice meal and really enjoyed the atmosphere of Macello. I would definitely recommend it.