1235 W. Lake Street
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://macellochicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 850-9870
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Accommodate 120 people for a sit down dinner, 25 people in our private dining area.
Three different menu choices for "family style" dining, "elegant dining" and or "salad and pizza" party. Also, facilitate "buffet" style dining.
- Cross Street: Racine
- Public Transit: Green & Pink Line - Ashland/Lake, Morgan/Lake
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet parking during lunch hours 11am - 4pm.
$8 Valet parking Fridays and Saturdays after 5:00pm
Street and parking lot available after 6:00pm
(Located on the northeast corner of Lake/Elizabeth)
A word from Macello
Italian cuisine from the Puglia region of Italy, Steaks & Chops. Macello, a rustic Italian restaurant and market/deli located in the Warehouse District (West Loop), offers an airy dining room with wood beams, exposed brick, and two wood-burning ovens. The menu features plenty of thin crust pizza; linguine with mixed seafood in a spicy cherry tomato sauce. The butcher shop inspired market located in the front of Macello stocks cured meats, cheese and food from the Puglia region- the "boot heel" of Italy. Macello appropriately translates to "slaughterhouse"-- the building housed a slaughterhouse in the 1920s.Continued
Macello was recently rated as the "BEST PIZZA" in Chicago by Chicago Magazine (July 2010)
Will be open for lunch in September 2010!
Macello was recently rated as the "BEST PIZZA" in Chicago by Chicago Magazine (July 2010)
Will be open for lunch in September 2010!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Macello reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)fit for foodies (43)good for groups (41)notable wine list (29)romantic (29)special occasion (22)great for lunch (18)kid-friendly (15)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (9)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (2)Show More
- DelishPreoliVIPDined on 11/22/2014If you want authentic Italian cuisine, Macello is the place to go. Good was delicious and service was great. A bit pricey even without drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza great, service to be desired.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/22/2014The wood fire pizza was very fresh and delicious. We had a hard time interpreting the menu and our waiter was a bit snobby. We wanted pasta with marinara and he did end up going in the back and asking the chef to prepare something off the menu. The pasta itself was delicious and homemade, but the sauce was meh.I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoeyDined on 11/19/2014Great for a mid-day team lunch. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT NIGHT OUTsandyDined on 11/11/2014Macello's is a great spot for a night out with friends or family. The atmosphere is fun and the food and service are great, and you can't beat the 1/2 off wine least on certain day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place! Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/11/2014Second time here. Great place and very close to united center making it s good choice for a pre game meal. Pizza is outstanding and the overall feel of the place is very warm. We will definitely be going back many times this winter before hawks games,I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousAuroraMomVIPDined on 11/9/2014We were pleasantly surprised by this hidden gem. The decor is very welcoming and the smell from the wood burning stove just delicious. We tried a variety of foods and everything was delicious. Very few restaurants actually take the time to make a true risotto, but they do here. Great place to eat prior to any event at the United Center for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky findWildIrishProseDined on 11/8/2014There is nothing not to like about Macellos, however, open table's "minimum character" requirement for reviews is another matter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MacellosOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/8/2014Brick oven pizza was delicious and the steak was cooked to perfection! A great place for a little italian get away. Although, my wife and I were seated towards the entrance, I would have liked to be closer to the brick ovens next time, it would have made for a much cozier dining experience.Special Features:
- Amazing Food; Lackluster ServiceStrigineFoodieDined on 10/29/2014My wife discovered this gem in the meat-packing district on a daytime Chicago pizza tour, and loved the food so much we came back several days later for dinner. Easily accessible from the L, Macello serves highly authentic Italian food in a charming atmosphere; the pizza is as close as we have found state-side to our all-time favorite in Florence. There is one wood-burning oven reserved exclusively for pizza, and another for locally-produced sausages and meats. The wine list is robust and varied, with numerous specials half-price by the bottle Mondays-Tuesdays-Wednesdays. Unfortunately, the service for our dinner was disappointingly slow and inattentive, particularly on a very quiet night. With good service, Macello would sparkle.Special Features:
- good findcabernetDined on 10/28/2014This is a great spot with good ambience in the west loop area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seesee66Dined on 10/25/2014We are not from the area so I chose this restaurant off of mapquest due to the proximity of a concert I dropped my child off at. I was not disappointed!! I know my steak but this steak was out of this world!! It melted in my mouth. My husband enjoyed a pasta dish that he absolutely loved as well. The atmosphere and decor is lovely. My only complaint is the noise level. It was pretty hard to hear and understand the server. I highly recommend Macello. I've already been telling my co-workers about it.Special Features:
- DelishPreoliVIPDined on 10/18/2014Loved everything about our experience at Macellos. Food was delicious and service was great. Will be back soon. Make sure to have dessert...yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must doEileenDined on 10/11/2014A definite place to visit. We had salad and pizza it was terrific!! Seated right on time with our reservation.Special Features:
- Very good!!!KenzienicoleDined on 10/11/2014My friends and I found this place on yelp and decided to try it, and we were not dissappointed. The food delicious and authentic. It took a bit of time to get our food, although, it was a saturday night and it was busy so that could easily be why. Also we had some bread to keep us company:) The restaurant itslef is very cool and trendy. Definitely reccommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happening West Loop SpotXCooperWestLooperDined on 10/11/2014I live in the neighborhood & had heard about Macello from a good friend & neighbor. Great vibe, beautiful decor, well-informed waiter, very reasonable wine by the glass prices. We started with the Macello coal oven pizza for our appetizer which was awesome & then moved on to entrees. Amazing seafood choices - 3 of 5 people in my group ordered a seafood entree and all raved. We dined for 3 hours on the night of an event at the United Center with no pressure to leave. We'll most definitely return - what a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoJoVIPDined on 10/11/2014Was very expensive for what was received. The taste was excellent but $ 36 for a small piece of sea bass is high!!
- What a Find!sjlisbonVIPDined on 10/7/2014Tucked away and a bit outside of the Chicago downtown area is a real find. The wood burning stove is enough to get you salivating and the resulting pizza is a treat. Had a salmon special of the day with shrimp risotto and asparagus - one of the most moist and tasty salmons I've ever had. Not your typical trendy restaurant - but authentic in ambiance, service and food! Nice touches with Chef's treat at beginning and end of meal. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- Great Experience...MichaelVIPDined on 10/3/2014First visit to Macello and will definitely plan on doing it again. Quaint neighborhood location with great service, ambiance and amazing food. Pastas are all enjoyable and the catch of the day, Grouper, was prepared amazingly. Selected the restaurant as it was close to the United Center...recommend checking it out!Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014Unfortunately I touted Macello as my new favorite Italian spot in Chicago. While the Macello pizza was as tasty as ever (never change this!), the pasta selection (main reason we came) was poor and not well cooked. The apps were just okay but they came out all at once crowding the table and rushing the meal. For a restaurant that was only half full, they sat four of us adults right in front of the entrance facing the kitchen, come on. The wine list is so unimaginative; I wish they would change at least seasonally and go for some non-Banfi producers. Wont take company there again, maybe just stop in with the husband for a pizza and a salad.
- always greatpeeweeDined on 9/26/2014Macello never disappoints My wife and I love it before Blackhawk games The food and service are always outstandingSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Came here for lunch with a few other coworkers and have a great time. We were given free soup as an appetizer, and split the Pizza Pugliese, sandwich and Insalata Spinaci. All of the food was delicious, especially the Pizza Pugliese. Our server was very nice and attentive, but never hovered. I will definitely come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!FamilybrownVIPDined on 9/25/2014My husband and I stumbled across Macello on Open Table! It is wonderful. The service was excellent, and the food delicious. It served many of the dishes straight out of a beautify wood burning oven. Don't miss this wonderful spot! I am hesitant to overstate their excellence, for fear that we won't be able to get a reservation the next time we find ourselves in the West Loop! We loved It!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindWGN15111VIPDined on 9/25/2014Ate here on a week night before a concert at City Winery. Very good food, but was surprised how empty the place was. Really enjoyed the atmosphere (very rustic) and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Terrific DinnerAnnabellaDined on 9/20/2014Everything we ordered was delicious. My two guests are very discriminating diners from New York City and were wowed. Only negative is the loud volume from voices on a busy Saturday night.Special Features:
- Good find in West LoopDutchDined on 9/14/2014My friend and I both had the spinach salad and the pasta bolognese. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- highly recommendCassieDined on 8/23/2014I found Macello through the ChefsFeed app, which recommended the pizza pugliese. We went for dinner in a small group before a concert at the United Center. Between two couples, we split two appetizers they had on special, pizza pugliese and two entrees and it was more than enough food for us (and we are big eaters). Everything blew us away in terms of the quality and authenticity of the food, the level of service and the ambiance of the space. It was just a beautiful meal altogether. They offered a grilled calamari and octopus dish over rapini and fava beans as one of the appetizers that was outstanding, the breads & pizza crust were fresh and light, the noodles homemade. We will definitely return and highly recommend Macello!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good the 2nd time!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/14/2014This was my second visit to Macello's and unfortunately it was not as good as my first visit back in June. The service and food were just so-so this go around. This is a very cute place with alot of potential. My first visit the salmon and risotto were delicious, the second visit the salmon was cooked ok but the risotto was way over cooked and tasted like mush. My dinner guest ordered a calzone and although the crust of the calzone was good the filling was watery and not good at all (my guest commented that he had better calzone's at sbarros'...ouch!). The panacotta and sorbet for dessert were very good (thankfully).Special Features:
- First time hereChooseChicagoVIPDined on 8/12/2014Was looking in this neighborhood, and saw the positive ratings on OpenTable. There is a little deli in the front as you arrive, and a welcome fragrance from the wood burning pizza ovens. The staff is welcoming and proud of their menu and concept. The food was flavorful and just the right portion, without the over serving of food so common today. The service is quick, without being rushed. Try the sea bass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodsloopyVIPDined on 8/10/2014Macello is one of those places in Chicago that I go back to at least once a month. I don't live in the West Loop but manage to get there often because the food is great, the service is always good, parking is so easy, and no matter if you order pizza, their brick ovens send out an aroma that just smells and feels like you are in Italy. Excellent cavatelli Al forno bolongnese, all pizza, perfect risotto and so on.....great find and not overly trendy which is nice in the west loop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West loop gemSnoopdogDined on 8/7/2014My famy love this place for the delicious food, attentive service and great atmosphere. A real gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Wow-what a fantastic place! We went here for a bachelorette party dinner and it was absolutely wonderful. Brilliant back patio, impeccable service, delicious food and wine list(highly recommend the Carciofi Ripieni and Pizza Macello). The atmosphere of the back patio made the evening-relaxed and felt like you're in Italy. I am definitely going back!Special Features:
- BarneyBarneyVIPDined on 8/2/2014The food and ambience were not as good as the last three visits to the restaurant. It was too hot to eat outside on the patio and the outdoor spot does not meet expectation - needs more vegetation and atmostphere. Stick to the indoor space!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chicago SpotBiddyBooDined on 7/28/2014Macello's is just an all around great spot - a small outdoor patio in back, and a warm, inviting dining room with always good food and friendly staff. We have been there multiple times and are never disappointed.Special Features:
- Hidden GemAdda40VIPDined on 7/28/2014Tucked away in an industrial area below the Lake Street "L" is a hidden gem for regional Italian fare. Macello features the Barese regional style cuisine. In addition to the numerous meat and fish entrees, pizzas and flat breads are also prepared in the prominent wood-burning oven. Vegetarians will also praise the numerous meatless options. One of my favorites are the Farro based dishes which are a welcome alternative to the ubiquitous pasta and risotto dishes found in many Italian restaurants. The dining room is most inviting, set around a continuously burning brick oven. The delightful and serene backyard dining area is a wonderful place to sample the delicious food when the weather permits. You will soon forget the your urban location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 489 reviews are from the Macello reviews archive.
- Excellent Food and ServicejenniferVIPDined on 7/23/2014Really enjoyed our experience - our server was fantatstic!Special Features:
- great italian foodSASsyEaterDined on 7/19/2014The food was great and the ambiance was also wonderful. The only complaint was that the server was a tad distracted for such a small place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smokey Business LunchTimeZoneTravelerVIPDined on 7/14/2014I chose this location as it was a midway point to interview a potential employee over lunch. The place was dead, completely empty at noon on a Monday. However, within 30 minutes of sitting down, a few more patrons also arrived. The decor was pretty interesting: half warehouse loft and half Italian market; the place couldn't really decide what it was. But, the biggest takeaway was the smokiness of the place. The two fire ovens either weren't properly flued or mismanaged. Once we left the building, we were covered in a campfire smoke smell. It was so annoying that I had to leave my office early to shower and change clothes before my afternoon flight. I would not recommend this place for a business lunch, but the food was great.Special Features:
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/11/2014I actually work a few blocks away from the restaurant and had never been in. It is beautiful inside and good food. Excellent wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in a relaxed settingpicolo61Dined on 7/9/2014Interesting décor, great service, tasty food with a homemade touch, strong Italian wine list, lively atmosphere, good value. A nice neighborhood find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MacelloWineanddinemeDined on 7/6/2014We found this restaurant last minute because we didn't want to eat at City Winery where we were going to and it was a great find. Our food was wonderful and we had a very personable waiter and the decorations were fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.