1235 W. Lake Street
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://macellochicago.com/
- Phone: 3128509870x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Accommodate 120 people for a sit down dinner, 25 people in our private dining area.
Three different menu choices for "family style" dining, "elegant dining" and or "salad and pizza" party. Also, facilitate "buffet" style dining.
- Cross Street: Racine
- Public Transit: Green & Pink Line - Ashland/Lake, Morgan/Lake
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet parking during lunch hours 11am - 4pm.
$8 Valet parking Fridays and Saturdays after 5:00pm
Street and parking lot available after 6:00pm
(Located on the northeast corner of Lake/Elizabeth)
A word from Macello
Italian cuisine from the Puglia region of Italy, Steaks & Chops. Macello, a rustic Italian restaurant and market/deli located in the Warehouse District (West Loop), offers an airy dining room with wood beams, exposed brick, and two wood-burning ovens. The menu features plenty of thin crust pizza; linguine with mixed seafood in a spicy cherry tomato sauce. The butcher shop inspired market located in the front of Macello stocks cured meats, cheese and food from the Puglia region- the "boot heel" of Italy. Macello appropriately translates to "slaughterhouse"-- the building housed a slaughterhouse in the 1920s.Continued
Macello was recently rated as the "BEST PIZZA" in Chicago by Chicago Magazine (July 2010)
Will be open for lunch in September 2010!
Macello was recently rated as the "BEST PIZZA" in Chicago by Chicago Magazine (July 2010)
Will be open for lunch in September 2010!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Macello reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (56)good for groups (38)fit for foodies (37)notable wine list (25)special occasion (21)romantic (17)kid-friendly (13)great for lunch (11)great for outdoor dining (10)hot spot (9)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- DelishPreoliVIPDined on 10/18/2014Loved everything about our experience at Macellos. Food was delicious and service was great. Will be back soon. Make sure to have dessert...yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must doEileenDined on 10/11/2014A definite place to visit. We had salad and pizza it was terrific!! Seated right on time with our reservation.Special Features:
- Very good!!!KenzienicoleDined on 10/11/2014My friends and I found this place on yelp and decided to try it, and we were not dissappointed. The food delicious and authentic. It took a bit of time to get our food, although, it was a saturday night and it was busy so that could easily be why. Also we had some bread to keep us company:) The restaurant itslef is very cool and trendy. Definitely reccommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happening West Loop SpotXCooperWestLooperDined on 10/11/2014I live in the neighborhood & had heard about Macello from a good friend & neighbor. Great vibe, beautiful decor, well-informed waiter, very reasonable wine by the glass prices. We started with the Macello coal oven pizza for our appetizer which was awesome & then moved on to entrees. Amazing seafood choices - 3 of 5 people in my group ordered a seafood entree and all raved. We dined for 3 hours on the night of an event at the United Center with no pressure to leave. We'll most definitely return - what a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoJoDined on 10/11/2014Was very expensive for what was received. The taste was excellent but $ 36 for a small piece of sea bass is high!!
- What a Find!sjlisbonVIPDined on 10/7/2014Tucked away and a bit outside of the Chicago downtown area is a real find. The wood burning stove is enough to get you salivating and the resulting pizza is a treat. Had a salmon special of the day with shrimp risotto and asparagus - one of the most moist and tasty salmons I've ever had. Not your typical trendy restaurant - but authentic in ambiance, service and food! Nice touches with Chef's treat at beginning and end of meal. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- Great Experience...MichaelVIPDined on 10/3/2014First visit to Macello and will definitely plan on doing it again. Quaint neighborhood location with great service, ambiance and amazing food. Pastas are all enjoyable and the catch of the day, Grouper, was prepared amazingly. Selected the restaurant as it was close to the United Center...recommend checking it out!Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014Unfortunately I touted Macello as my new favorite Italian spot in Chicago. While the Macello pizza was as tasty as ever (never change this!), the pasta selection (main reason we came) was poor and not well cooked. The apps were just okay but they came out all at once crowding the table and rushing the meal. For a restaurant that was only half full, they sat four of us adults right in front of the entrance facing the kitchen, come on. The wine list is so unimaginative; I wish they would change at least seasonally and go for some non-Banfi producers. Wont take company there again, maybe just stop in with the husband for a pizza and a salad.
- always greatpeeweeDined on 9/26/2014Macello never disappoints My wife and I love it before Blackhawk games The food and service are always outstandingSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Came here for lunch with a few other coworkers and have a great time. We were given free soup as an appetizer, and split the Pizza Pugliese, sandwich and Insalata Spinaci. All of the food was delicious, especially the Pizza Pugliese. Our server was very nice and attentive, but never hovered. I will definitely come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!FamilybrownVIPDined on 9/25/2014My husband and I stumbled across Macello on Open Table! It is wonderful. The service was excellent, and the food delicious. It served many of the dishes straight out of a beautify wood burning oven. Don't miss this wonderful spot! I am hesitant to overstate their excellence, for fear that we won't be able to get a reservation the next time we find ourselves in the West Loop! We loved It!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindWGN15111VIPDined on 9/25/2014Ate here on a week night before a concert at City Winery. Very good food, but was surprised how empty the place was. Really enjoyed the atmosphere (very rustic) and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Terrific DinnerAnnabellaDined on 9/20/2014Everything we ordered was delicious. My two guests are very discriminating diners from New York City and were wowed. Only negative is the loud volume from voices on a busy Saturday night.Special Features:
- Good find in West LoopDutchDined on 9/14/2014My friend and I both had the spinach salad and the pasta bolognese. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- highly recommendCassieDined on 8/23/2014I found Macello through the ChefsFeed app, which recommended the pizza pugliese. We went for dinner in a small group before a concert at the United Center. Between two couples, we split two appetizers they had on special, pizza pugliese and two entrees and it was more than enough food for us (and we are big eaters). Everything blew us away in terms of the quality and authenticity of the food, the level of service and the ambiance of the space. It was just a beautiful meal altogether. They offered a grilled calamari and octopus dish over rapini and fava beans as one of the appetizers that was outstanding, the breads & pizza crust were fresh and light, the noodles homemade. We will definitely return and highly recommend Macello!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good the 2nd time!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/14/2014This was my second visit to Macello's and unfortunately it was not as good as my first visit back in June. The service and food were just so-so this go around. This is a very cute place with alot of potential. My first visit the salmon and risotto were delicious, the second visit the salmon was cooked ok but the risotto was way over cooked and tasted like mush. My dinner guest ordered a calzone and although the crust of the calzone was good the filling was watery and not good at all (my guest commented that he had better calzone's at sbarros'...ouch!). The panacotta and sorbet for dessert were very good (thankfully).Special Features:
- First time hereChooseChicagoVIPDined on 8/12/2014Was looking in this neighborhood, and saw the positive ratings on OpenTable. There is a little deli in the front as you arrive, and a welcome fragrance from the wood burning pizza ovens. The staff is welcoming and proud of their menu and concept. The food was flavorful and just the right portion, without the over serving of food so common today. The service is quick, without being rushed. Try the sea bass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodsloopyVIPDined on 8/10/2014Macello is one of those places in Chicago that I go back to at least once a month. I don't live in the West Loop but manage to get there often because the food is great, the service is always good, parking is so easy, and no matter if you order pizza, their brick ovens send out an aroma that just smells and feels like you are in Italy. Excellent cavatelli Al forno bolongnese, all pizza, perfect risotto and so on.....great find and not overly trendy which is nice in the west loop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West loop gemSnoopdogDined on 8/7/2014My famy love this place for the delicious food, attentive service and great atmosphere. A real gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Wow-what a fantastic place! We went here for a bachelorette party dinner and it was absolutely wonderful. Brilliant back patio, impeccable service, delicious food and wine list(highly recommend the Carciofi Ripieni and Pizza Macello). The atmosphere of the back patio made the evening-relaxed and felt like you're in Italy. I am definitely going back!Special Features:
- BarneyBarneyVIPDined on 8/2/2014The food and ambience were not as good as the last three visits to the restaurant. It was too hot to eat outside on the patio and the outdoor spot does not meet expectation - needs more vegetation and atmostphere. Stick to the indoor space!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chicago SpotBiddyBooDined on 7/28/2014Macello's is just an all around great spot - a small outdoor patio in back, and a warm, inviting dining room with always good food and friendly staff. We have been there multiple times and are never disappointed.Special Features:
- Hidden GemAdda40VIPDined on 7/28/2014Tucked away in an industrial area below the Lake Street "L" is a hidden gem for regional Italian fare. Macello features the Barese regional style cuisine. In addition to the numerous meat and fish entrees, pizzas and flat breads are also prepared in the prominent wood-burning oven. Vegetarians will also praise the numerous meatless options. One of my favorites are the Farro based dishes which are a welcome alternative to the ubiquitous pasta and risotto dishes found in many Italian restaurants. The dining room is most inviting, set around a continuously burning brick oven. The delightful and serene backyard dining area is a wonderful place to sample the delicious food when the weather permits. You will soon forget the your urban location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServicejenniferVIPDined on 7/23/2014Really enjoyed our experience - our server was fantatstic!Special Features:
- great italian foodSASsyEaterDined on 7/19/2014The food was great and the ambiance was also wonderful. The only complaint was that the server was a tad distracted for such a small place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smokey Business LunchTimeZoneTravelerVIPDined on 7/14/2014I chose this location as it was a midway point to interview a potential employee over lunch. The place was dead, completely empty at noon on a Monday. However, within 30 minutes of sitting down, a few more patrons also arrived. The decor was pretty interesting: half warehouse loft and half Italian market; the place couldn't really decide what it was. But, the biggest takeaway was the smokiness of the place. The two fire ovens either weren't properly flued or mismanaged. Once we left the building, we were covered in a campfire smoke smell. It was so annoying that I had to leave my office early to shower and change clothes before my afternoon flight. I would not recommend this place for a business lunch, but the food was great.Special Features:
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/11/2014I actually work a few blocks away from the restaurant and had never been in. It is beautiful inside and good food. Excellent wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in a relaxed settingpicolo61Dined on 7/9/2014Interesting décor, great service, tasty food with a homemade touch, strong Italian wine list, lively atmosphere, good value. A nice neighborhood find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MacelloWineanddinemeDined on 7/6/2014We found this restaurant last minute because we didn't want to eat at City Winery where we were going to and it was a great find. Our food was wonderful and we had a very personable waiter and the decorations were fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and abundantPoissonDined on 7/2/2014Have been to Macello twice for business dinners. The room is attractive, warmly decorated and good for conversation. The food is beautifully prepared and the portions are rather enormous - the seafood in particular has been excellent. The pizzas are first-rate as well. Good list of interesting Italian wines. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- macellomikeeats59Dined on 6/28/2014It was our second time dining here. The food is excellent, service good and prompt. A really nice room also. We enjoyed the the shrimp oregano appetizer as well as the carpaccio, which is topped with a little arugula salad that features grape tomatoes and shaved pecorino. Then we ordered a salad to share without realizing that the salad was essentially the same thing we just had with the carpaccio. Although the onus for such a misstep was on us, a little heads up from the server would have been appreciated. That said, the meal was lovely and they treated us to complimentary dessert and limoncello. I would recommend Macello for the quality food, service and atmosphere. Nice wine list too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/28/2014I have been here many times and it never disappoints!Special Features:
- We loved Macellonam426VIPDined on 6/25/2014This restaurant is amazing. The food was spectacular, we felt like we were back in Italy. The colorful atmosphere was great and fits with the vibrant personality of the food and people working there.Special Features:
- The following 479 reviews are from the Macello reviews archive.
- Loved itmaddymadVIPDined on 6/24/2014What a great experience.... Outstanding menu, great bar area, roomy restaurant and even has a quiet, outdoor dining area. Loved the artwork on the walls and the painting on the walls in the women's room blew me away. The food??? great! scallop appetizer, salad etc all outstanding. Our entrees were great as well. Service was attentive until it got a bit busy..... had to wait way too long for our bill. Definitely try the homemade Limencello!Special Features:
- 2BonAppetiteDined on 6/18/2014This was my brother-in-law and nephews birthday celebration and although I was only visiting in Chicago they enjoyed it tremendously and said their family would certainly visit there again. It was a very quaint Italian restaurant and the food and wine selection was exceptional. The waiter provided excellent service and information on the dishes we each selected. When visiting again I would definitely return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Celebrating a graduation.ItalianfoodieDined on 6/11/2014One of our familie's favorite neighborhood restaurant. Love the Chilean sea bass!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!Dgbrown52Dined on 5/31/2014Went last Saturday and initially sat on the patio...very nice, but too hot for 5:30 in the afternoon...would be perfect in the evening. The waiter and hostess, however, were very happy to reseat us in the restaurant, even though we had already ordered. Decor is great, food was delicious, service was very good, and price was reasonable. We'll be back to try the pizza!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service to match!ChitowndrummerDined on 5/29/2014We live nearby and can walk to Macello, for which we are very grateful! This is a wonderful neighborhood Italian place where the quality of the food is exceeded only by the outstanding service. They have a wood-burning oven that produces delicious, authentic think crust pizzas and other entrees, and in general everything on the creative menu tastes like it is made from scratch. The restaurant also boasts an extensive and affordable wine selection as well as a deli counter up front for carrying out pastas, cheeses, olives and other imported Italian delicacies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but goodTraveljunky62VIPDined on 5/29/2014Old warehouse redone so acoustics are loud. Food is solid italian with a twist. Stuffed artichokes were excellent, so were desserts (gelato and cannoli). Veggie risotto was a hit. Least impressive was the pizza with artichokes and olives. Good ingrediets bit should have been chopped and spread over pizza. Early there was a kids graduation party, but after they left it was still noisy. Worth a try!Special Features:
- Great FindChewChewBeanDined on 5/24/2014This was our 2nd visit. Very good food, nice neighborhood vibe, friendly service. Enjoyed the pizzas a lot. Huge party (20?!) was arriving and settling in as we were leaving. This was good since the noise level amped up to a point that would have diminished our experience. We will definitely be back! It was too chilly to use the patio but we look forward to that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.