48 Gansevoort Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.macelleria.com/
- Phone: (212) 741-2555
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 8am-11am
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm,
Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am;
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Sergio Bitici, Diego Bigucci
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full in house and off premise catering menu available please contact Katie Martinez, 212-741-2555 or email@example.com
- Special Events: We will help you cater and organize your next special event for 10-500 guests. We have full capabilities to plan your events on or off premise.
A word from Macelleria
As one of the first restaurants to lead the Meatpacking District’s revival, Macelleria has proven itself to be a staple in an ever-changing neighborhood. Owned and operated by Violetta and Sergio Bitici, Macelleria's rustic, Northern Italian cuisine never disappoints. Using only the finest meats and home-made pastas, each visit to Macelleria is like sitting in on a Tuscan grandmother's Sunday dinner. Drop by and you're likely to see Robert DeNiro or Jay-Z dining in the restaurant's wine cellar, constructed in-part using a 16th-century fortress.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Macelleria reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (32)good for groups (24)great for outdoor dining (22)notable wine list (22)hot spot (21)special occasion (18)great for lunch (14)romantic (12)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (11)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- First class "meat packing" Steak and ItalianSteveCroweDined on 11/18/2014Never fails to deliver a great dining experiance, food is always spot on with the Porterhouse for 2 sliced is a winner. Sides are excelent and the wine list very good, being in an old meat locker makes it perfect. have brought the kids here in the past and the table out back near the kitchen is ideal for them Stephen J CroweSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good morning SundayMarykaydevineDined on 11/16/2014Great brunch place but had a server on her first day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/7/2014for a $98 porterhouse, I hope they know how to cook it evenly regardless of the thickness..this is your specialty it should be done correctly. Also, it really did not have the flavor I expected and have had better steaks elsewhere for the same or less price...
- Bel posto .ErmanDined on 11/4/2014Cibo molto buono, carne spettacolare ! Peccato quella sera fosse un po' troppo rumoroso. Personale gentile e disponibile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Slice of Italian Heavenjml05003VIPDined on 11/4/2014Any place that makes you feel as though you are in Italy is a go in my book. The food is outstanding - get the burrata, carbonnara, and prosciutto.Special Features:
- Great vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Went with friends from out of town, place had great vibe, warm and toasty for autumn theme.. Waitress was very nice. Ravioli with autumn butternut squash was outrageous but I could have used abit more. Zucchini great and plenty but creamed spinach side squimpy. Overall great food just needed abit more. Wonderful location in meat packing districtSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING food !OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/29/2014Food and wine are the focus here. My expectations were met and surpassed. I'll certainly be returning to Macelleria in the future. I am still thinking about the food, days later !Special Features:
- Hidden gem great for meetingsKevinDined on 10/29/2014Tucked away in the re-energized meatpacking district, this restaurant is perfect for a secluded dining experience. We had a business dinner meeting here and, even though the restaurant was crowded on a Wednesday evening, we still felt like we had privacy to eat and talk. Food was excellent and drink selection was top-notch. Would definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond excellentLynn76VIPDined on 10/28/2014Probably one of the best steaks I ever had, unbelievable flavor. The prosciutto and mozzarella are outstanding. Service is terrific....all wonderful!Special Features:
- Great but needs improvementStuka123VIPDined on 10/25/2014The place is great and the food as well, I had the shrimp cocktail and the lasagna (delicious) The place was packed and I believe that is due to a very slow kitchen We had to request the menu twice since the hostess did not provide with any Other than that I love this place
- RM11Dined on 10/17/2014Beautiful people. But I go to restaruants to eat well. For a steakhouse the food was not satisfactory. The service was beyond horrible. Been dinning in New York for 20 years would never go back here.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014Front of house unfriendly and unhelpful, wanted to sit us outside in October although we had booked a table in the restaurant. There was a large private party downstairs which probably explains why food was fairly poor standard. Lovely waiting staff though.Special Features:
- even better in real..T4llyDined on 10/4/2014Seen in Australian Master chef at home in the Netherlands at tv. Food, prosecco, ambiance ..everything was great. It looked better than at home on tv.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Style over substanceOTloves2dineDined on 10/4/2014I was expecting great things based on the reviews on trip advisor but we were dissapointed from word go unfortunately. The white wine we ordered was not cold enough so we asked the waiter for an ice bucket and we said we would leave it in the bucket for a bit to chill but 3-4 minutes later he came over to our table and poured us both a half a glass each?? We then ordered the sausage and bean starter between us, the sausage was good but the beans lacked flavour and sauce. My husband then had wild boar ragu which we both thought was tasteless I couldn't believe my husband who never takes salt put salt on his dinner twice I had the chicken which was good. The service felt rushed and impersonal overall it was a disappointing evening.Special Features:
- Very good Italian foodJohnWDined on 9/26/2014This is my favorite Italian restaurant in Meat Packing area. The pasta is great. Desserts are very good. Also, very good wine.
- Average food for a high pricetoasVIPDined on 9/16/2014We had a reservation for 5:30 pm and perhaps that was a mistake. The restaurant was already very well visited but we had the impression that the staff was not ready at all. We had the NY Strip Steak which we ordered medium but they were served more than well done. The cream spinach they served was actually sautéed spinach with a lot of cream and the potatoes were grease and dry. The two glasses of house wines were acceptable but pricy. For a final price (tip not included) of $158.- I would have expected something completely different.
- Macelleria..nice peopleleeloeatsDined on 9/13/2014Nice place; friendly staff; very good food served piping hot, would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichaelVIPDined on 9/5/2014Good Clean Italian food; made us feel we were sitting somewhere in Italy, both for the feeling of restaurant, the warm and careful service and of course the food.Special Features:
- Best Lasagna EVERJessicaVIPDined on 9/3/2014Holy smokes...best lasagna I've ever had! It's made with spinach noodles which not only adds a fun color to the dish, but also adds a nice dimension. It almost seemed lighter than it was and was unlike the heavy brick-like lasagnas elsewhere than sit in your stomach like rocks for hours. Also, the carpaccio rocked my socks. My hubby had never had carpaccio before and this was a great place to have it for the first time. Loved the ambiance of the restaurant, but can't speak to the crowd. We were the only ones there at 11:00 pm on a Wednesday night. We had gone straight there after our plane landed so we must have missed the normal dinner crowd. We'll definitely be back to this place for more lasagna! I'd love to try breakfast too!Special Features:
- Great SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/2/2014One of the best rib eyes I have ever had. Consistent from visit to visit. Went with some vegetarian colleagues and there was plenty of items on the menu for them.Special Features:
- Disappointing in all waysAiriaDined on 8/29/2014The food was nothing special. Salads were ordinary, pastas were overcooked and the sauces were uninteresting. But the service was truly terrible. The hostess put 3 us at a tiny table meant for 2 although we had a reservation and were on time. I asked for a larger table and she said it could only be used for a party of 4, then promptly gave it to 3 men who arrived after us. (We were 3 women.). The waiter took a long time to bring us menus, and even longer to get drink and then food orders. Yet our courses were rushed and he seemed slightly dismayed when we ordered dessert--clearly they wanted to turn the table. I can't think of a reason to return.
- Such good foodPatrickVIPDined on 8/20/2014Had lunch alone outside. Wonderful half order of "straw and hay" with proscuitto and peas. And an order of grilled calamari. It was all delicious. My only "complaint" might be that the entree of calamari needed something -- a small side? a few beans? anything. It was a big plate of delicious calamari, but it needed something with it. I should have saved the pasta to eat with it.
- SunnieSunnieVIPDined on 8/18/2014A wonderful restaurant! Service and food was wonderful. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PenelopeDined on 8/14/2014Food was very good (Restaurant Week Menu). Service was attentive and friendly but not intrusive or annoying. I would return. My only hesitation when thinking about this restaurant is the noise level. If you wish to have an intimate conversation it is difficult because the volume of voices is very high making conversation difficult. Thank God there wasn't music blasting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ottima carneRebeccaDined on 8/12/2014Ci siamo fatti consigliare ed abbiamo mangiato un ottima bistecca e un branzino . Perfetti. Ottima anche la frutta che normalmente non si trova come dessert nei ristoranti americani ma questo e ' un ottimo ristorante italiano. GrazieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday afternoon lunchWoodtick58Dined on 8/10/2014Attended during Resturant week. Great value & food. Wait staff attentive and friendly. Look foward to going back and sitting outside @ sunset!Special Features:
- Steaks & pasta - good combination!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/9/2014Interesting mix of great quality steaks as well as gorgeous pastas - in a lovely settingSpecial Features:
- Food Wine & Service are authenticLuciaDined on 8/8/2014Real Italian food, service and atmosphere, too. Great experience but just a tad bit overpriced….Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed my mealWalt2d2Dined on 8/8/2014Everything we ordered was delicious!! It is a bit on the pricey side though. I wouldn't go here for a casual dinner. But I will absolutely be back just another slice of the cheesecake. Probably the best cheesecake I've ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first time experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/6/2014Went here for restaurant week. Food was great and the portions were larger than I had expected. We also ordered an additional app (prosciutto and buffala mozz) - which was delicious. We were a few minutes late for the reservation, but the hostess was very accommodating and offered us a table inside or out (we chose outside which overlooked the heart of MePa). Waiter was very pleasant and didn't rush us at all. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Great MealLove2eatDined on 8/3/2014The food was delicious and the service was fantastic. We sat outside the night we were there and it's a perfect spot for outdoor dining. Lots of people watching and not too many cars. We totally enjoyed our evening dining at Macelleria. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- restaurant weekfoodieNYDined on 8/1/2014The overall experience was pleasant, although we kind of expected a steak to be offered on the menu for the restaurant week. It's a steak house after all! The location is right in the heart of the meatpacking district and the overall ambience of the restaurant is very nice. We had a table outside which was great. The waiter was a bit annoyed when one of us asked to repeat a certain dish ingredients. Otherwise, it was a good experience.Special Features:
- lunch was not top notchlilydinesDined on 8/1/2014But drinks were awesome! We ordered the chicken diavola and rib eye steak both were dry!Special Features:
- Great, all aroundByelyseDined on 7/30/2014I went to Macelleria for dinner with a friend, and it was a great place to order a few cocktails and have a relaxing dinner with friends. We sat outside on a beautiful night and it was perfect. Good food, strong drinks, and some fun people watching. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 476 reviews are from the Macelleria reviews archive.
- Eh...not too impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014The pasta was extremely salty. I could not even finish the dish.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014The resto week menu dishes were not at all interesting and the size were smaller than a kids meal it was our first time there and it was not a good impression for the futureSpecial Features:
- Our anniversary!BecksDined on 7/25/2014Great food and ambience. Fabulous wines - enjoyed the evening.Special Features:
- A must visitLuv2dineVIPDined on 7/12/2014Great and accommodating. Cool vibe and Wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best PastaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/9/2014We had a group of 6 and everyone had pasta for dinner. The homemade pasta is delicious and everyone raved about their dish. I personally loved the Garganelli, ragu antico de carne. The octopus appetizer was perfectly tender and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too trendy to taste goodeatswellVIPDined on 6/28/2014We dined early for this neck of the woods and, perhaps, they put more waiters on as the evening progresses, but ours was clearly handling too many tables. NY Strip Steak entrees were cooked perfectly, but appetizers - tomato and onion and wedge salad were so bland that we thought of how much better those at Legal Seafood. The tomato had no taste at all and the only taste in the wedge salad was peppercorn, which overtook the gorgonzola. With regard to sides, creamed spinach was more like soupy spinach. Grilled mushrooms were just fine. Nice wine list, but not worth a return visit for the food.