48 Gansevoort Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.macelleria.com/
- Phone: 2127412555x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 8am-11am
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm,
Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am;
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Sergio Bitici, Diego Bigucci
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full in house and off premise catering menu available please contact Katie Martinez, 212-741-2555 or email@example.com
- Special Events: We will help you cater and organize your next special event for 10-500 guests. We have full capabilities to plan your events on or off premise.
A word from Macelleria
As one of the first restaurants to lead the Meatpacking District’s revival, Macelleria has proven itself to be a staple in an ever-changing neighborhood. Owned and operated by Violetta and Sergio Bitici, Macelleria's rustic, Northern Italian cuisine never disappoints. Using only the finest meats and home-made pastas, each visit to Macelleria is like sitting in on a Tuscan grandmother's Sunday dinner. Drop by and you're likely to see Robert DeNiro or Jay-Z dining in the restaurant's wine cellar, constructed in-part using a 16th-century fortress.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Macelleria reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (29)great for outdoor dining (25)notable wine list (18)special occasion (15)good for groups (14)great for lunch (12)romantic (11)great for brunch (9)hot spot (9)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Macelleria..nice peopleleeloeatsDined on 9/13/2014Nice place; friendly staff; very good food served piping hot, would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichaelVIPDined on 9/5/2014Good Clean Italian food; made us feel we were sitting somewhere in Italy, both for the feeling of restaurant, the warm and careful service and of course the food.Special Features:
- Best Lasagna EVERJessicaVIPDined on 9/3/2014Holy smokes...best lasagna I've ever had! It's made with spinach noodles which not only adds a fun color to the dish, but also adds a nice dimension. It almost seemed lighter than it was and was unlike the heavy brick-like lasagnas elsewhere than sit in your stomach like rocks for hours. Also, the carpaccio rocked my socks. My hubby had never had carpaccio before and this was a great place to have it for the first time. Loved the ambiance of the restaurant, but can't speak to the crowd. We were the only ones there at 11:00 pm on a Wednesday night. We had gone straight there after our plane landed so we must have missed the normal dinner crowd. We'll definitely be back to this place for more lasagna! I'd love to try breakfast too!Special Features:
- Great SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/2/2014One of the best rib eyes I have ever had. Consistent from visit to visit. Went with some vegetarian colleagues and there was plenty of items on the menu for them.Special Features:
- Disappointing in all waysAiriaDined on 8/29/2014The food was nothing special. Salads were ordinary, pastas were overcooked and the sauces were uninteresting. But the service was truly terrible. The hostess put 3 us at a tiny table meant for 2 although we had a reservation and were on time. I asked for a larger table and she said it could only be used for a party of 4, then promptly gave it to 3 men who arrived after us. (We were 3 women.). The waiter took a long time to bring us menus, and even longer to get drink and then food orders. Yet our courses were rushed and he seemed slightly dismayed when we ordered dessert--clearly they wanted to turn the table. I can't think of a reason to return.
- Such good foodPatrickVIPDined on 8/20/2014Had lunch alone outside. Wonderful half order of "straw and hay" with proscuitto and peas. And an order of grilled calamari. It was all delicious. My only "complaint" might be that the entree of calamari needed something -- a small side? a few beans? anything. It was a big plate of delicious calamari, but it needed something with it. I should have saved the pasta to eat with it.
- SunnieSunnieDined on 8/18/2014A wonderful restaurant! Service and food was wonderful. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PenelopeDined on 8/14/2014Food was very good (Restaurant Week Menu). Service was attentive and friendly but not intrusive or annoying. I would return. My only hesitation when thinking about this restaurant is the noise level. If you wish to have an intimate conversation it is difficult because the volume of voices is very high making conversation difficult. Thank God there wasn't music blasting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ottima carneRebeccaDined on 8/12/2014Ci siamo fatti consigliare ed abbiamo mangiato un ottima bistecca e un branzino . Perfetti. Ottima anche la frutta che normalmente non si trova come dessert nei ristoranti americani ma questo e ' un ottimo ristorante italiano. GrazieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday afternoon lunchWoodtick58Dined on 8/10/2014Attended during Resturant week. Great value & food. Wait staff attentive and friendly. Look foward to going back and sitting outside @ sunset!Special Features:
- Steaks & pasta - good combination!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/9/2014Interesting mix of great quality steaks as well as gorgeous pastas - in a lovely settingSpecial Features:
- Food Wine & Service are authenticLuciaDined on 8/8/2014Real Italian food, service and atmosphere, too. Great experience but just a tad bit overpriced….Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed my mealWalt2d2Dined on 8/8/2014Everything we ordered was delicious!! It is a bit on the pricey side though. I wouldn't go here for a casual dinner. But I will absolutely be back just another slice of the cheesecake. Probably the best cheesecake I've ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first time experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/6/2014Went here for restaurant week. Food was great and the portions were larger than I had expected. We also ordered an additional app (prosciutto and buffala mozz) - which was delicious. We were a few minutes late for the reservation, but the hostess was very accommodating and offered us a table inside or out (we chose outside which overlooked the heart of MePa). Waiter was very pleasant and didn't rush us at all. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Great MealLove2eatDined on 8/3/2014The food was delicious and the service was fantastic. We sat outside the night we were there and it's a perfect spot for outdoor dining. Lots of people watching and not too many cars. We totally enjoyed our evening dining at Macelleria. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- restaurant weekfoodieNYDined on 8/1/2014The overall experience was pleasant, although we kind of expected a steak to be offered on the menu for the restaurant week. It's a steak house after all! The location is right in the heart of the meatpacking district and the overall ambience of the restaurant is very nice. We had a table outside which was great. The waiter was a bit annoyed when one of us asked to repeat a certain dish ingredients. Otherwise, it was a good experience.Special Features:
- lunch was not top notchlilydinesDined on 8/1/2014But drinks were awesome! We ordered the chicken diavola and rib eye steak both were dry!Special Features:
- Great, all aroundByelyseDined on 7/30/2014I went to Macelleria for dinner with a friend, and it was a great place to order a few cocktails and have a relaxing dinner with friends. We sat outside on a beautiful night and it was perfect. Good food, strong drinks, and some fun people watching. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh...not too impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014The pasta was extremely salty. I could not even finish the dish.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014The resto week menu dishes were not at all interesting and the size were smaller than a kids meal it was our first time there and it was not a good impression for the futureSpecial Features:
- Our anniversary!BecksDined on 7/25/2014Great food and ambience. Fabulous wines - enjoyed the evening.Special Features:
- A must visitLuv2dineVIPDined on 7/12/2014Great and accommodating. Cool vibe and Wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best PastaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/9/2014We had a group of 6 and everyone had pasta for dinner. The homemade pasta is delicious and everyone raved about their dish. I personally loved the Garganelli, ragu antico de carne. The octopus appetizer was perfectly tender and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too trendy to taste goodeatswellVIPDined on 6/28/2014We dined early for this neck of the woods and, perhaps, they put more waiters on as the evening progresses, but ours was clearly handling too many tables. NY Strip Steak entrees were cooked perfectly, but appetizers - tomato and onion and wedge salad were so bland that we thought of how much better those at Legal Seafood. The tomato had no taste at all and the only taste in the wedge salad was peppercorn, which overtook the gorgonzola. With regard to sides, creamed spinach was more like soupy spinach. Grilled mushrooms were just fine. Nice wine list, but not worth a return visit for the food.
- Good service has a bad sideYummmmiliciousDined on 6/21/2014The waiter was attentive, however not informative initially. I like the "explain the menu to me like I'm five" approach instead of circling back 3x and them asking if we had questions about the menu. The food came in a timely manner. The steak was delicious, but the sides (creamed spinach especially) were overly saturated in olive oil.Special Features:
- This was alrightCoisaline8Dined on 6/15/2014I used to love going to Macellaria with my boyfriend and even my parents. All their meals were delicious and so well prepared! However, this last time I went the food was not all that good and the service wasn't great either. I know the game was one for th World Cup but that is no excuse to me. I hope they get their stuff together again otherwise I won't be visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday BrunchbrunchgalDined on 6/14/2014I dined at Macelleria for brunch on a Saturday and ordered the chicken paillard. The meal was delicious, but the bread we were given was very hard and toasted. I noticed most other tables had much softer and better looking bread. The service was terrible. The hostess was standing around kind of staring around at people, which was semi-uncomfortable. It took almost 10 minutes for anyone to even greet us at the table.Special Features:
- Affordably Affluent vibe.QuadMCVIPDined on 6/11/2014Good food, Good Wine, great location, wonderful people watching in MePa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinewellVIPDined on 6/10/2014Food was disappointing but the atmosphere in the restaurant was nice.
- The following 465 reviews are from the Macelleria reviews archive.
- Great foodBritkayDined on 5/23/2014Staff were helpful, friendly and flexible with our order, good was excellent and good wine too, been meaning to try this for a while and glad I didSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placePiaaDined on 5/16/2014Very good ambiance and food! We had very good time and enjoined the atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014Great service, delicious meal and superb wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Macelleria for brunchRichSVIPDined on 5/10/2014Second visit to Macelleria. The food. Wow. Whether you order a simple steak'n'eggs as I did -- not so "simple", but rather perfectly marinated and grilled hanger steak with 2 over easy done perfectly -- or the ravioli as my wife did, you will enjoy sensual pleasures beyond expectations. The food experience is enhanced by the funky ambience and superb service. It's a meeting place, a conversation place, a fun place. Informal but some of the finest dining in the city.Special Features:
- Best Chicken!foodDined on 5/6/2014I dream about the chicken here. It is spicy and crispy on the outside and so juicy inside. We eat a lot of chicken at home and I typically never get it out. BUT I break the rule here as it is incredible. The service is always good here. These are career waiters not people passing through. It makes a big difference in the dining experience. Place has a great vibe. We always enjoy it. Great for couples and groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedQItlVIPDined on 5/3/2014Crowded, tight and not good, the best part of the meal was the bread.
- Absolutly perfectagatemlVIPDined on 4/22/2014One of my best restaurant in nyc ! Produits are so fresh and delicious !! ThxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerwstmarlkVIPDined on 4/20/2014Wonderful restaurant with great service and really great food.
- Pleasantly Surprised!aussiegirlinnycDined on 4/17/2014Booked this pace last minute, and was a little concerned that I could get a table for 5 people at 8pm on a Thursday night (a few hours beforehand). The reviews were nothing to write home about, so my level of expectation was not set high. It was buzzing when we arrived (upstairs, downstairs was empty), and our table was not quite ready, so we got a drink at the bar, which is perfectly fine with me. Loved the cocktails! Service was pretty good too - they brought out a dessert (on the house) with a sparkler for my friend's birthday. Everyone loved their steaks, and my pasta was cooked al dente. Delicious! It had died down by the time we left, so it's not really a late night place, but I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014The restaurant was mediocre at best. It was super crowded and we had a table by the bar, which turned out to be a nightmare. It took the waiter quite a while to get to us, and then rushed us along, especially when we had questions about the menu. My filet mignon was a bit dry, and I asked for medium-rare. Definitely not worth the price you're paying.
- Great for family / low key placeAviEatsOutVIPDined on 3/7/2014This is a great place if you are looking for low key "non-crazy meatpacking" restaurant. If you want to take the family out and enjoy a meal then this is your place. Jean are fine and your parents and children will love it, too. They have a bar but it for really waiting for your table or having a meal. Don't come here thinking this is a night club type place - it is not. Food is tasty and you will have a good evening.Special Features: