MacArthur Park - Palo Alto
27 University Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
MacArthur Park - Palo Alto
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.macarthurparkpaloalto.com/
- Phone: (650) 321-9990
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:30pm- 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Faz Poursohi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available for groups any size ranging from simple drop offs to fully staffed events. We cater corporate and personal events at just about any location. Call the Banquets line for menus and more details.
- Entertainment: Happy Hour Menu from 4:00 to 6:30 Monday through Friday.
- Special Events: Wedding receptions and larger events are hosted at MacArthur Park which can easily hold 200+ guest. We host everything from a young childs birthday party to large corporate dinners. "We are pros at special events
A word from MacArthur Park - Palo Alto
Palo Alto neighborhood favorite MacArthur Park relaunched in April 2008 with the original chef and owner. Faz Poursohi (of Faz Restaurants) and Restaurateur Chuck Frank (formerly with Spectrum Foods, owner of 16 upscale eateries) are at the helm and have revitalized this historic landmark designed by Julia Morgan in 1918. The revitalized menu features Faz' award-winning Oakwood Smoked California BBQ Baby Back Ribs, mesquite grilled meats and fresh fish. Special features include signature cocktails, the MacArthur Park famous potato skins and onion strings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
MacArthur Park - Palo Alto - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
MacArthur Park - Palo Alto reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (27)neighborhood gem (26)special occasion (15)fit for foodies (10)romantic (7)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Don't fear the ribs!shortcommentDined on 10/31/2014Meaty and not messy, perfectly done, paired with great fries and perfectly manageable even if you're all dressed up with a fresh manicure.Special Features:
- Great foodJohnDined on 10/26/2014I had Linguine with chicken and it was great! I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/21/2014Food is expensive for what's worth. The temperature inside the dinning area varied throughout dinner time.
- Good food, nice staffJohnDined on 10/12/2014The food was great and the staff was wonderful. I'll be back.Special Features:
- BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014... an increasingly hard to find resource in a great old space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Review of MacArthur ParkMeFoodieDined on 10/5/2014I was very pleased with the ambience, the quality of the food, and the service. In addition, although I was by myself, I was given a table for four with an excellent view. This restaurant is immaculate and, in my opinion, is a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Great food disappointing servicePhilDined on 10/5/2014Waited forever for our entrees . Then requested to box up the leftovers and the bread. They didn't box up the bread Ribs were excellent though and so were the onion stringsSpecial Features:
- Quiet for dinner discussionscrummasterDined on 9/30/2014restaurant was quiet, great decor and service suitable for dinner discussion. Food was horrible.
- History Repeats ItselfBaker700Dined on 9/16/2014For the second time after making reservations through OpenTable, we were seated at a table nearest the kitchen door when there were clearly other less busy tables available. The service was adequate, but rather slow and indifferent (except for the "bus boy" who was quite amiable). Food, however, was great.Special Features:
- Excellent location with atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2014This was a perfect location with good amercican cuisine style food. Also liked the seafood appetizer plate featuring cerviche. We have been there for a business diner during the week. What we enjoyed is the quietness during the week. The service was outstanding I would say. Food was very good as well as well as a good selection of wines. Valet parking complimented the relaxed atmosphere. The historic building was remarkable as well. This is a different approach compared to the mainstream restaurants on University....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely relaxing eveninvinnytheQDined on 9/12/2014The staff were exceptionally patient with our group of 6 as we spent a lot of time talking to one another and probably spent 2 1/2 hours there. I had been warned it was noisy and expensive but neither turned out to be true. We had onion strings, calamari and seafood platter appetizers with excellent martinis. Calamari fried just right. For mains our group had prawns and prime rib and all were delicately cooked. Wine list was very nice and corkage fee very reasonable for a bottle we brought. Ambiance of the Julia Morgan building was comfortable but elegant. We just had a wonderful night and the highlight were the staff, who catered to us in every way.Special Features:
- Would not recommend.luv2dineDined on 9/7/2014BBQ sauce on the ribs and chicken were extremely tangy. Ribs were overcooked. Coleslaw was disgusting (tasted only like horseradish). I shared the 1/2 slab of ribs and 1/2 chicken with one other person. The entree was served on one plate, yet they still charged me a petty $2 split plate fee. Food was bad, especially for the price. Would not go back. Would not recommend.
- Wonderful Every TimeHJMPDRDined on 9/5/2014We take a trip to Palo Alto every two years and MacArthur Park is always our choice for dinner our first night. It is a lovely place with a comfortable atmosphere. The food is always delicious and the service is superb! Once again, Patty was our server and she took EXCELLENT care of us. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Saturday Night?KevinDined on 8/30/2014Neat building. Good service. Boring food. Kind of quiet for a Saturday night. Good, nothing great though.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/23/2014Forbidden from self-parking in an empty lot. Ridiculous. Asked for rare New York steak. It arrived well done and leathery. My wife's chicken was similarly tough.
- Great BBQ in a Beautiful SettingfrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/4/2014The ribs were outstanding, and a half slab with the sides is plenty. (We had an appetizer and salad course before.) The server provided a sample of the beer she recommended, and I liked it. What a nice touch! This restaurant is tucked away, so I'd bet many people don't know about it. It's their loss. The interior is magnificent, and the bar is not intrusive on the diners. The menu is large which we have sampled at banquets. On those occasions everything was delightful, but we cannot resist the ribs.Special Features:
- Terrific foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/3/2014Everything was excellent. The service was professional and unobtrusiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 901 reviews are from the MacArthur Park - Palo Alto reviews archive.
- EDWARDVIPDined on 7/27/2014The "Family BBQ" dinner at MacArthur Park was very tasty and enjoyed by all, as there were plentiful servings of Caesar salad, ribs, chicken, sausage, and fries. The included mud pie desert was a nice way to end the meal. The restaurant was not crowded and the service was attentive. The Family BBQ as well as the Friday/Sunday night prime rib special are competitively priced and a good reason to dine a MacPark.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service...Average FoodHopk7791Dined on 7/24/2014We had visited MacArthur Park numerous times in the past in San Francisco and had always enjoyed the experience. Overall experience was mediocre and the food was just average. Everyone has an off night, so we will at least give them another opportunity in the future.Special Features:
- Same as it wasLionCatSquirrelDined on 7/18/2014We hadn't been here in quite a long time, but it is just the same. The cobb salad is excellent, the best I've had anywhere. The prime rib was tasty, but came medium instead of medium rare. The French onion soup was gooey and delicious. We split a couple of desserts - the mud pie was good and went quickly, but what they called an apple tart was just cooked apples on puff pastry - disappointing. They could try changing up their menu a bit, it's the same thing every time and their specials were not enticing. They also could have a few more wines by the glass available. I'd go back again, but not very often.Special Features:
- Seems to be strugglingChuckVIPDined on 7/18/2014This was once a favorite place in a historic Julia Morgan building. Stopped going after some mediocre meals, but decided to give it another chance. Half the large dining room was screened off and empty (a bad sign). Service was confused, with two of our three entrees delivered before the salad course arrived. They offered to take them back and "keep them warm", but we opted to keep them and eat the salad later. The third entree arrived 10-15 minutes later. The breaded catfish was excellent, but the once-iconic baby back ribs were mediocre at best and the prime rib was so-so. We won't be going back again.
- Date nightMjbreviewDined on 7/16/2014Ribs were good...meaty and flavorful....not fall off the bone ...they could have been a bit more tender Wine list is extensive Pork chop was supposed to be med-rare, but when it came, it was cooked too long and dry Overall: romantic, quiet palace with great wine. Food: so-soSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Arranged a date night with my husband and we were looking forward to our dining at MacArthur Park. Wrong choice! Dinner was overcooked and flavorless. The bar ran out of the rum my husband was drinking. What top notch restaurant runs out of liquor? The only good think was our server and the "Tower Of Onion Rings" we had, yes sad..Onion Rings! ;(
- Better than expectedlocalguyDined on 7/8/2014Yelp had some negative reviews, but the three of us all thought the food was quite good. Only problem was it took awhile to get the service started, even though it was not crowded at all. Server was very good and friendly however.Special Features:
- MoviegoerVIPDined on 7/6/2014Service was aliitle slower than expected but the service was at a very good level.Special Features:
- KimoDined on 6/29/2014The manager is from Montreal and the server is half Japanese (Shimizu) and the help was funny. The owner of Mac Park was sitting on the table next to us who my wife got to meet. My wife worked for American Resturant Group a while back and the owner owned Il Fornio Restaurants. Great food, nice to hear each other talk without shouting and great atmosphere, we feel very comfortable dinning at Mac Park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but not great serviceAngelaCDined on 6/28/2014The food is excellent. We ordered a variety of things on the menu, and everything was tasty. However, the service was intermittent, especially considering there were only 8 tables seated and at least 2 wait people. Not sure if it was a kitchen, bar, or wait person problem that caused the delays. All of the staff were friendly and pleasant, just not very efficient. Not sure if we will go back again, even with the great menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experiencealimcDined on 6/19/2014My husband and I had a very pleasant dining experience here last week. The food was delicious and our server delightful. I had the large prawns with rice and my husband had the very delicious ribs, which were in a very tasty marinade. The building is such a historic gem it is a pleasure to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayeileenmoVIPDined on 6/18/2014Beautiful restaurant, but food only fair. I was dissapointed in the food. I had grilled shrimp, overcooked and under-seasoned. Very unremarkable. I have to say the appetizer was better. My dining mates food rated a bit better, steak, and sea bass. On an upside, the service was excellent, and the atmosphere is wonderful.
- Avoid this place!SeasonedTravelerDined on 6/15/2014We used to love this restaurant but it has gone way downhill! The food was awful, service non-existent and atmosphere barely okay. The fake flowers were an indication of their new standards.Special Features:
- Fathers Day brunchBiffDined on 6/15/2014A friend recommended MacArthur park for a fathers day brunch. The food was fantastic and the service was excellent, especially Laura, our server. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent and convenientOutofTownerDined on 6/13/2014If you are staying near Stanford it is a convenient place to have a good meal. Nothing special about the food. The service was good and staff was friendly.
- Outstanding prime rib specialJoelVIPDined on 6/8/2014And very delicious apple salad. Wonderful large cobb salad.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/7/2014House made potato chips like rubber. ribs not fully cook and non attentive service.
- Nice Experience as alwaysJohnKDined on 6/6/2014We often dine here, its a neighborhood restaurant with a fairly diverse menu and generally they can accomodate Gluten Free options.Special Features:
- Barely adequateReasonableDined on 6/5/2014Apparently my wife and I were wearing our invisibility cloaks as we had repeatedly signal to get attention from the staff.
- Great Food, Questionable PlatingSUfoodieDined on 5/31/2014I found the food at the restaurant to be really very good. We started with the combo platter # 2 for an appetizer and were greeted by a plate that looked terrible. It had lettuce all over everything, the individual food items overlapping and mixing together, and an obscene amount of ginger, in addition to random pieces of lettuce and carrot al over everything. This aside, the Ahi tuna was delicious, the smoked salmon was great, and the jumbo prawns were phenomenal (even though they came with gratuitous amounts of cocktail sauce). Our appetizers, the salmon and fillet mignon were cooked perfectly and looked much better than the appetizer plate! Service was good and the environment was nice, despite being near the train!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service, etc.erkiVIPDined on 5/23/2014We had a great meal and brought our 3 year-old son with us. He had a nice looking kids meal and we had a incredibly tasty prime rib dinner. The service was friendly and attentive. Would definitely go again and agin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindPintzieDined on 5/23/2014Nice open restaurant décor - great place for families of students attending Stanford to enjoy a meal together. Not inexpensive but not over the top. Ribs were good but wish I had the short ribs instead - just the wrong choice on my part. Delicious onion strings. My friend raved about the Prime Rib having great flavor. My friend's grandson practically licked his plate clean. Service was fantastic and so patient as we were waiting for the grandson to arrive and he was late - no pressure to order which was nice.Special Features:
- Very NiceDatenighterDined on 5/17/2014Went for date night and the food and service was great! The guests however were a lot older. The Place was a little slow for a Saturday night. If you are looking for good food, good service and good prices this is the place to go. If you are looking to people watch and take in some stimulation then I would skip it.Special Features: