MacArthur Park - Palo Alto
27 University Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
MacArthur Park - Palo Alto
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.macarthurparkpaloalto.com/
- Phone: 6503219990x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:30pm- 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Faz Poursohi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available for groups any size ranging from simple drop offs to fully staffed events. We cater corporate and personal events at just about any location. Call the Banquets line for menus and more details.
- Entertainment: Happy Hour Menu from 4:00 to 6:30 Monday through Friday.
- Special Events: Wedding receptions and larger events are hosted at MacArthur Park which can easily hold 200+ guest. We host everything from a young childs birthday party to large corporate dinners. "We are pros at special events
A word from MacArthur Park - Palo Alto
Palo Alto neighborhood favorite MacArthur Park relaunched in April 2008 with the original chef and owner. Faz Poursohi (of Faz Restaurants) and Restaurateur Chuck Frank (formerly with Spectrum Foods, owner of 16 upscale eateries) are at the helm and have revitalized this historic landmark designed by Julia Morgan in 1918. The revitalized menu features Faz' award-winning Oakwood Smoked California BBQ Baby Back Ribs, mesquite grilled meats and fresh fish. Special features include signature cocktails, the MacArthur Park famous potato skins and onion strings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
MacArthur Park - Palo Alto - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
MacArthur Park - Palo Alto reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (27)neighborhood gem (20)special occasion (17)romantic (12)fit for foodies (9)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (8)notable wine list (8)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Saturday Night?KevinDined on 8/30/2014Neat building. Good service. Boring food. Kind of quiet for a Saturday night. Good, nothing great though.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/23/2014Forbidden from self-parking in an empty lot. Ridiculous. Asked for rare New York steak. It arrived well done and leathery. My wife's chicken was similarly tough.
- Great BBQ in a Beautiful SettingfrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/4/2014The ribs were outstanding, and a half slab with the sides is plenty. (We had an appetizer and salad course before.) The server provided a sample of the beer she recommended, and I liked it. What a nice touch! This restaurant is tucked away, so I'd bet many people don't know about it. It's their loss. The interior is magnificent, and the bar is not intrusive on the diners. The menu is large which we have sampled at banquets. On those occasions everything was delightful, but we cannot resist the ribs.Special Features:
- Terrific foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/3/2014Everything was excellent. The service was professional and unobtrusiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EDWARDVIPDined on 7/27/2014The "Family BBQ" dinner at MacArthur Park was very tasty and enjoyed by all, as there were plentiful servings of Caesar salad, ribs, chicken, sausage, and fries. The included mud pie desert was a nice way to end the meal. The restaurant was not crowded and the service was attentive. The Family BBQ as well as the Friday/Sunday night prime rib special are competitively priced and a good reason to dine a MacPark.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service...Average FoodHopk7791Dined on 7/24/2014We had visited MacArthur Park numerous times in the past in San Francisco and had always enjoyed the experience. Overall experience was mediocre and the food was just average. Everyone has an off night, so we will at least give them another opportunity in the future.Special Features:
- Same as it wasLionCatSquirrelDined on 7/18/2014We hadn't been here in quite a long time, but it is just the same. The cobb salad is excellent, the best I've had anywhere. The prime rib was tasty, but came medium instead of medium rare. The French onion soup was gooey and delicious. We split a couple of desserts - the mud pie was good and went quickly, but what they called an apple tart was just cooked apples on puff pastry - disappointing. They could try changing up their menu a bit, it's the same thing every time and their specials were not enticing. They also could have a few more wines by the glass available. I'd go back again, but not very often.Special Features:
- Seems to be strugglingChuckDined on 7/18/2014This was once a favorite place in a historic Julia Morgan building. Stopped going after some mediocre meals, but decided to give it another chance. Half the large dining room was screened off and empty (a bad sign). Service was confused, with two of our three entrees delivered before the salad course arrived. They offered to take them back and "keep them warm", but we opted to keep them and eat the salad later. The third entree arrived 10-15 minutes later. The breaded catfish was excellent, but the once-iconic baby back ribs were mediocre at best and the prime rib was so-so. We won't be going back again.
- Date nightMjbreviewDined on 7/16/2014Ribs were good...meaty and flavorful....not fall off the bone ...they could have been a bit more tender Wine list is extensive Pork chop was supposed to be med-rare, but when it came, it was cooked too long and dry Overall: romantic, quiet palace with great wine. Food: so-soSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Arranged a date night with my husband and we were looking forward to our dining at MacArthur Park. Wrong choice! Dinner was overcooked and flavorless. The bar ran out of the rum my husband was drinking. What top notch restaurant runs out of liquor? The only good think was our server and the "Tower Of Onion Rings" we had, yes sad..Onion Rings! ;(
- Better than expectedlocalguyDined on 7/8/2014Yelp had some negative reviews, but the three of us all thought the food was quite good. Only problem was it took awhile to get the service started, even though it was not crowded at all. Server was very good and friendly however.Special Features:
- MoviegoerVIPDined on 7/6/2014Service was aliitle slower than expected but the service was at a very good level.Special Features:
- KimoDined on 6/29/2014The manager is from Montreal and the server is half Japanese (Shimizu) and the help was funny. The owner of Mac Park was sitting on the table next to us who my wife got to meet. My wife worked for American Resturant Group a while back and the owner owned Il Fornio Restaurants. Great food, nice to hear each other talk without shouting and great atmosphere, we feel very comfortable dinning at Mac Park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but not great serviceAngelaCDined on 6/28/2014The food is excellent. We ordered a variety of things on the menu, and everything was tasty. However, the service was intermittent, especially considering there were only 8 tables seated and at least 2 wait people. Not sure if it was a kitchen, bar, or wait person problem that caused the delays. All of the staff were friendly and pleasant, just not very efficient. Not sure if we will go back again, even with the great menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experiencealimcDined on 6/19/2014My husband and I had a very pleasant dining experience here last week. The food was delicious and our server delightful. I had the large prawns with rice and my husband had the very delicious ribs, which were in a very tasty marinade. The building is such a historic gem it is a pleasure to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayeileenmoVIPDined on 6/18/2014Beautiful restaurant, but food only fair. I was dissapointed in the food. I had grilled shrimp, overcooked and under-seasoned. Very unremarkable. I have to say the appetizer was better. My dining mates food rated a bit better, steak, and sea bass. On an upside, the service was excellent, and the atmosphere is wonderful.
- Avoid this place!SeasonedTravelerDined on 6/15/2014We used to love this restaurant but it has gone way downhill! The food was awful, service non-existent and atmosphere barely okay. The fake flowers were an indication of their new standards.Special Features:
- Fathers Day brunchBiffDined on 6/15/2014A friend recommended MacArthur park for a fathers day brunch. The food was fantastic and the service was excellent, especially Laura, our server. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent and convenientOutofTownerDined on 6/13/2014If you are staying near Stanford it is a convenient place to have a good meal. Nothing special about the food. The service was good and staff was friendly.
- Outstanding prime rib specialJoelVIPDined on 6/8/2014And very delicious apple salad. Wonderful large cobb salad.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/7/2014House made potato chips like rubber. ribs not fully cook and non attentive service.
- Nice Experience as alwaysJohnKDined on 6/6/2014We often dine here, its a neighborhood restaurant with a fairly diverse menu and generally they can accomodate Gluten Free options.Special Features:
- Barely adequateReasonableDined on 6/5/2014Apparently my wife and I were wearing our invisibility cloaks as we had repeatedly signal to get attention from the staff.
- Great Food, Questionable PlatingSUfoodieDined on 5/31/2014I found the food at the restaurant to be really very good. We started with the combo platter # 2 for an appetizer and were greeted by a plate that looked terrible. It had lettuce all over everything, the individual food items overlapping and mixing together, and an obscene amount of ginger, in addition to random pieces of lettuce and carrot al over everything. This aside, the Ahi tuna was delicious, the smoked salmon was great, and the jumbo prawns were phenomenal (even though they came with gratuitous amounts of cocktail sauce). Our appetizers, the salmon and fillet mignon were cooked perfectly and looked much better than the appetizer plate! Service was good and the environment was nice, despite being near the train!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service, etc.erkiVIPDined on 5/23/2014We had a great meal and brought our 3 year-old son with us. He had a nice looking kids meal and we had a incredibly tasty prime rib dinner. The service was friendly and attentive. Would definitely go again and agin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindPintzieDined on 5/23/2014Nice open restaurant décor - great place for families of students attending Stanford to enjoy a meal together. Not inexpensive but not over the top. Ribs were good but wish I had the short ribs instead - just the wrong choice on my part. Delicious onion strings. My friend raved about the Prime Rib having great flavor. My friend's grandson practically licked his plate clean. Service was fantastic and so patient as we were waiting for the grandson to arrive and he was late - no pressure to order which was nice.Special Features:
- Very NiceDatenighterDined on 5/17/2014Went for date night and the food and service was great! The guests however were a lot older. The Place was a little slow for a Saturday night. If you are looking for good food, good service and good prices this is the place to go. If you are looking to people watch and take in some stimulation then I would skip it.Special Features:
- Hidden GemNatalieDined on 5/17/2014I love the fine restaurants in Palo Alto and couldn't believe I didn't know about this one! It has a perfect location off the beaten path, just steps from the cal train station. The food was tasty and our mud pie for dessert was amazing! Our server, Jace was great...personable as well as knowledgeable. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day and didn't really like the buffet. I would have preferred to order off the menu. I had 1 plate of food; not worth the $45 per person amount. My mother-in-law probably ate $8 to $10 worth of food so it really wasn't worth it for us. The buffet should be $25 to $30 max and maybe there should be options for people who don't want to do the buffet.
- Really badEventplannerDined on 5/11/2014I've never written a negative review before but this experience was so disappointing that it needs to be shared. Horrible food and presentation. There was a dead cheap house plant as the center piece to our dining table I mean seriously dead brown dried up and wilted. The food was so bad I couldn't even eat it. They need to close down.
- A/C COOLS BUFFETjak7Dined on 5/11/2014The Mother's Day evening buffet was unfortunately placed so an A/C vent blew cold air across three food stations, chilling food despite fires under the serving trays. We've experienced this problem before at MacArthur Park. There were otherwise many choices to satisfy both vegans and meat-eaters. Seating and service were timely. Ambiance was lovely; the restaurant occupies a historic Julia Morgan building that once was the reception center for Camp Fremont during WW I, and was moved to the present location from Menlo Park.Special Features:
- Mother's Day Buffet DinnerRDB27Dined on 5/11/2014After many years, we visited MacArthur Park and had their Mother's Day buffet dinner. At $45/person, not including beverages, it could have been better than just "Good." The roast beef, carved to order, had a large vein of fat running through it. The rolls were very "chewy" and not tasteful. The rib and chicken barbecue was tasteful, as was the asparagus. However lack of an assortment of fresh vegetables was disappointing. The Caesar salad was also disappointing. Desserts were varied and tasty. It is possible that their regular dinner would be better, but we will not take that chance in the future. There are many very god restaurants in Palo Alto and surrounding cities competing.Special Features:
- Still Excellent!lckt13Dined on 5/9/2014I went to their sister rest. in SF for decades until it closed. Been twice to this one in PA and like it even more. Great ambiance, valet parking, lovely historical building and interior, excellent service and outstanding cuisine. The wine list could use some work offering some lower priced bottles and glasses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/8/2014Beef ribs were way too salty. Steak was just OK. Vegetables were very good, at least.
- Bad experience at MacArthur ParkFoodie27VIPDined on 5/7/2014I don't think I will ever go to MacArthur Park again. I took 7 of my staff members there for Teacher Appreciation Week. The food was horrible, Taco Bell would have been superior! The service at first was adequate, but then became unacceptable. I had to raise my hand to get our server's attention and that did not even work towards the end. However, she remembered to bring the bill!
- The following 870 reviews are from the MacArthur Park - Palo Alto reviews archive.
- The Charm is GonedowntowndinerVIPDined on 5/1/2014MacArthur Park used to be a vibrant and upscale place, but not anymore. We went on a Thursday evening which is typically a busy night for Palo Alto restaurants; this place had only two other tables filled and it looked like a vacant warehouse. It smelled very musty and everything (floors, columns, etc.) was in bad need of refurbishing. They charged for valet parking and the lot was basically empty. Too bad because with proper ownership this could be a gem but the party is over.
- Lovely mealSassyCatDined on 4/29/2014This gem of a restaurant is a little off the beaten path, so consequently it is not as thunderously packed and loud and many restaurants in Palo Alto, so we enjoyed a lovely dinner with friends in front of the fireplace, and we did not have to shout to be heard. We felt as if we were in a lovely guest house. The historic building is very interesting and provides a gracious ambience. The food was very good, from my vegetarian choice to the seafood dishes of my companions. They also have a very creditable wine list. This dining experience is not unique for Palo Alto, and I'm glad we still have this choice. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- RegularatthebuffetDined on 4/20/2014As usual the food was great. The buffet service is always a nice experience with tasty food which they keep fresh and hot. As usual also the deserts were bland and uninspired. The service is hit-or-miss because each time we go (for special holiday occasions) there are always new servers. Our guy was nice but not very attentive, never refilled our drinks and the check came after a long wait.Special Features:
- Good food, nice atmosphereGogiantsDined on 4/20/2014I've been to three brunches at MacArthur Park, and they've all been really good. I love the grilled food and house-smoked salmon. Everything else is very tasty. They don't have a huge quantity of food, but everything is really good. If I had a complaint its just that they appear to be a bit understaffed, so drink refills and plate cleanup takes a while. Parking is a hassle - be prepared to park in the CalTrain lot, or valet it. Despite those little things, I would still look forward to going back for a special occasion brunchSpecial Features:
- Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2014This is the second time my family has enjoyed Easter Brunch at MacArthur Park. The food is great and the servers were very attentive. We live across the bay and have not had a chance to eat dinner here but plan to in the future.Special Features: