Macarena Tapas - St. Charles
1890 W Main Street
Saint Charles, IL 60174Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Macarena Tapas - St. Charles
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: (630) 945-3458
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: John Borras
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Macarena Tapas - St. Charles
Macarena Tapas was opened by Executive Chef John Borras in 2007. Whith an emphasis on traditional yet creative Spanish tapas cuisine, the menu incorporates both classic favorites and original new dishes. Macarena has a contemporary flare, but encompasses a welcoming, traditional Spanish tapas atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Macarena Tapas - St. Charles reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)neighborhood gem (23)special occasion (17)good for groups (15)romantic (11)hot spot (8)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- A hidden GEM!MamaRogersVIPDined on 11/22/2014Recently visited for the first time with 4 girlfriends. Arrived early and spent a delightful 30 minutes talking to the owner/Chef regarding life in Barcelona, food, travel, and life. (His wife is an NIU Graduate...ask for the NIU Faculty discount...) Food--OMG--excellent variety and flavors. Must have the quick fried goat cheese--creamy, light, and paired with a touch of balsamic and honey. The bacon wrapped figs and scallops were also delightful. We tried a variety of items, but these 3 stuck out and were ordered in duplicates. Must go back and try the paella...hard to find in this area. Note--advised it is a dish that takes 40 minutes to prepare. All in all I would highly recommend a visit. I wish I would have discovered this sooner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden QualityDiner29Dined on 11/21/2014Don't let this restaurant's location in a strip mall fool you, it's a high quality dining experience. Worth the price, though there were fewer options than I was expecting for a tapas place. Excellent food. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!Live2EatDined on 11/15/2014I dined at Macarena's with a group of 12 (6 adults, 6 kids). The food, service and atmosphere were really great, but the prices were too high. I recommend this place for a group of adults, no kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An accessible gem!lovageDined on 11/15/2014We have dined here several times and look forward to returning many more. Chef John Borras has created a magic little place where casual intersects with sophisticated and the Old World is infused with the New. Comfortable dining with small plates in the tradition of Spanish tapas with a New World twist, Macarena offers a widely varied menu that allows you to dash in for a bite or to spend an entire evening with friends. We enjoy sampling and passing a bunch of different treats but they also make an outstanding paella for those that want a family dining experience. The paella takes awhile to make so call ahead and they'll start it for you or better yet order it when you arrive and sit and sip a glass or two of sangria or wine (from a small but carefully chosen list with some real surprises) and enjoy a treat while you wait. Prices are reasonable - excellent considering the hand-made care that goes into each dish - and the service is attentive and friendly without being pretentious or overbearing. This is a perfect place to take a date: it's got something for everyone, it's fun and interesting and just a bit adventurous - and it won't bust your wallet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't bother - waste of moneyPickieVIPDined on 11/4/2014I finally tried out this place - based on reviews from yelp it was supposed to be good. NOT!! Maybe it would remind you of Spain - if you'd never been there! The octopus was actually *burnt* and they served it to me anyway. The chicken skewers were just the fatty parts of the thighs - so fatty that I actually (ok first time ever) spit it back out !!! I should have realized that if I was the only diner on a Wednesday night that I should've just walked away. Server was overly officious. I did (mildly) complain, didn't eat the food, and they still charged me full price for everything although 7/8 of it was left untouched on the table. Wretched place - I won't go back. Try one of the truly good places in st Charles and geneva!
- Tapas in St CharlesgplattinumDined on 11/1/2014I would give this restaurant a mixed review. We ate several tapas dishes and did not opt for the paella which looked good at other tables. The garlic potato salad was very good. The Cubano slider was ho-hum. The grilled octopus and grilled asparagus were both good. My friends said their Margaritas were excellent and my sangria was good too. Service was slow but very friendly and helpful. Overall I'd say this restaurant is good but not great.Special Features:
- A New Favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/31/2014I think we found another favorite! We are looking forward to returning soon!Special Features:
- Great place to eat!ReggieVIPDined on 10/28/2014My wife and I enjoy Macarena's (St. Charles). We ENJOY the food, the sangria.....you've gotta try the red sangria, the desserts and you cannot forget the staff (Jordan especially). The staff personnel are laid back but knowledgable and aware of customer needs. What a great place. You will never feel alone at this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Chef John was very friendly and the food was excellent! If you like Tapas this is a great place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Wasn't looking for anything spectacular but ended up extremely underwhelmed with the experience. Forgotten order resulted in cold food with waiter saying 'it wasn't supposed to be hot'. Reordered and got hot food but all 4 items were pretty greasy. Very poor decision making by host. Mostly empty restaurant when we arrived but ended up being seated 3 feet from a family with baby. I'm all for family style dining but in this case wanted a quiter nite with the wife! I can see potential there but it didn't come through on this night!Special Features:
- Great food, really nice staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014We came in right before a big dinner rush. One of the rounds of tapas was a little cold (because of the rush and our waiter said her they were down a couple people) but the second we said something they remade the food and gave us the entire meal on the house. Amazing customer service!!! The food was really good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be backOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/6/2014food was outstanding. i had read the reviews regarding SLOW service so I went in expecting the worst. We felt the service was spot on, as we prefer to not be rushed especially while eating Tapas (it allows for time to discuss the dishes, flavors and preparation). limited selection of moderate price/quality wines but overall a great dining experience. we will definitely return soon.Special Features:
- Don't be Fooled by LocationChelseaFCDined on 9/5/2014When first arriving, you see that it is located in a small strip mall. We immediately thought the experience may not be a great one. But we were completely wrong. The inside is very unique. Dark lighting, very nice decor. The restaurant is pretty loud, but that's the only knock I have against the place, and it's a minor one. The food was great. A lot of flavor. Abundance of options. We recommend the fried goat cheese for sure! Don't go for beer, as they don't have many (maybe 4?). Overall, very good experience, and we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- supriseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/3/2014We were very suprised that we didn't hear about this place before, If we hadn't gotton a groupon we would never had tried this place. We were very impressed with the service and the food. Would definitly bring other friends here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceJoeRodriguezVIPDined on 8/30/2014Great food great service and great location, need more restaurants like this.Special Features:
- Great addition to St Charles diningJustgreatfoodandwineVIPDined on 8/29/2014I have been here twice, and the second time was better than the first. Room, food were great first visit. Service has been improved, but still just a little slow.Very happy with my last meal and this one has gone into my permanent rotation of favorites.Special Features:
- Great food, really slow serviceJesimaDined on 8/29/2014My friend and I were seated immediately, and drinks were served within 10 minutes. Appetizers took 50 minutes to come, and after an additional hour we still hadn't gotten our entree (paella to share between two people) we got the check and left. The server came and apologized a few times and brought us some olives on the house. He was really sweet. The place was only a third full, maybe going up to half in out two hires there. There was a live guitarist and the music was too loud at first, but he stopped later on. Such a pity, because the two appetizers we did have were delicious.
- MacarenaTapasMEH63Dined on 8/23/2014I love tapas and was not disappointed with the menu. I was later annoyed by the noise level when the Spanish music and dancers started. I love Spanish guitar and though authentic the stomping was too loud for such a small venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Loved the food and service was Great. Our waiter Renee was very attentive. We sat outside and the only negative thing was music was a bit loud. Other than that I hope this place stays in business because it is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HPOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Food was good overall, but disappointed with Meatball Tapas dish. Very lively entertainment. Noise level very high, so conversation very challenging!Special Features:
- Tasty but priceyCSM3Dined on 8/1/2014We used a Groupon which i would highly recommend. Also definitely recommend making a reservation. Service was great on a Friday night, 7pm. Although the food was delicious, the portions were small for the not-so-small prices, especially the steak skewers. Again, very yummy still, and would still recommend those! Awesome rasberry sangria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frozen reheated food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Took almost 2 1/2 hrs to get four dishes and the sound was so loud we couldn't hear each other unless right up in each other's faces. Not a fun time. Ran out of Perrier. Really? Thought about walking out but had guests. Our server was lost in himself. Will never return. Will never recommend. Stay home, eat oatmeal before visiting this place.
- The following 64 reviews are from the Macarena Tapas - St. Charles reviews archive.
- FooDlvr16FooDE2Dined on 7/27/2014A little bit of Spain in the western burbs. My first visit to enjoy tapas, crab cakes, potato & egg omelet, asparagus fresh and tasty. Paella as main dish below average since I have been to Spain and ate plenty of delicious paella. But the main draw was the "more than Excellent entertainment"...a group of Flamenco dancers and guitarist who were first class, the energy and music were "outstanding". The ambiance of the restaurant made this evening a really great night out....OLE! Macarena Tapas...Bravo! I will be back...Special Features:
- Somehow not as good as NapervilleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2014I've been to the Macarena Tapas in Naperville and their food is amazing!! The service is also great - the only problem is the small space the restaurant is in. The one in St. Charles has more than enough space and is beautifully decorated. Despite having a similar menu, the food just was not as good and the service was even worse. We were told our items would come out quickly so not to order too much at once. Well, the first dish did not arrive until 20 minutes after we ordered it, and it was cold. The rest of our food was just so-so, and also was coming out slowly and cold. Our waiter was no where to be found most of the time, despite the fact that it was a Wednesday night and they were not crowded at all. Try Naperville instead!
- nice experienceloveoffoodDined on 7/19/2014We went early evening. It was quiet inside with not many patrons yet. The crab cakes were delicious! My Mojito was also excellent.Special Features:
- Poor serviceMEO12Dined on 7/18/2014This was our first visit to Macarena Tapas and I was extremely disappointed. The service was extremely slow and unprofessional. We arrived on time for our 6:45 reservation on a Friday night and the place was pretty empty but got busier as the night went on. We started with 2 tapas which took very long to come out by a food runner. Our waiter never returned to our table until long after we were finished with the 1st two tapas plates which was pretty quickly since the portions are smaller than many other tapas restaurants we have been to. By the time we ordered 3 more items we had almost been there an hour already and the next items also took a very very long time to come out and we're not even hot. Flavored good. Service ruined this place.
- Excellently Prepared FoodKKISVIPDined on 7/10/2014We went for an early dinner and enjoyed a variety of both cold and hot tapas. The host had a wonderful sense of humor, and the waiter was very attentive. The have a delish garlic potato salad and a unique jar of olives. We ordered the BLT-pork belly and the skewers of beef tenderloin with carmelized onions. Both were excellent. We used a groupon and enjoyed the discount. The fruit in the white sangria was so crisp and flavorful too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out of this world!!!!!garpieDined on 7/6/2014the food was very, very tasty. we enjoyed each tapas we had. My favorite was the bacon, garlic, scallopsSpecial Features:
- Wish We found it sooner.PatpVIPDined on 7/5/2014Thanks to groupon we had the opportunity to find and experience great tapas in St. Charles. Good location and atmosphere. Great service. Great tasting food and nice presentation. Wine list small but our selection was good. Good selection of tapas. Which is the best? You will have to try. Not sure you can go wrong with any. Prices can be better- but that can be said for any establishment. I believe the value is similar to other Tapas in the general area as well as different countries. Give it a shot. C ya there!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rushed to orderFoodrushDined on 7/1/2014Food was ok.. Scallops were great! Server was too much in a hurry to take our food order..delay in giving our check tho..
- Enjoyable ExperienceswwswwDined on 6/28/2014The reviews I read were all over the map for this place. So I had to make my own determination. My wife and I went here on a Saturday evening and enjoyed everything. The food was really good, the service was outstanding, and we even enjoyed the outdoor seating even though it is in a strip mall. I didn't think it was overly priced as some reviewers had thought. Seemed pretty typical for tapas. I will say that the portion sizes are much better than a typical tapas restaurant though. We will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Macarena Tapas CDNicheSDDined on 6/24/2014I liked Fat Rosie"s and was looking forward to the new restaurant in that location. Food was good, and I know it's tapas, so small plates, but seemed a little pricey for what we got. Spinach salad was very good and plenty to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and MissFoxValleyDinerVIPDined on 6/21/2014Unfortunately, we ended up finding more of the bad with the restaurant than the good. Overall service was pretty good. Food delivery was a bit slow, but the server was attentive Avoid the cocktails - they don't know how to make a mojito and the white wine was served warm. Some tapas were great, like the skewers and grilled shrimp - I liked the roast beef sliders. But avoid the bacon wrapped dates and the empanadillas, while tasty, were pretty greasy. I don't think we will try this again, since it seems to be trying to be more than they are. Too bad, since St. Charles could use a good tapas restaurant.
- NiceMom9490Dined on 6/19/2014Went for dinner it's a nice atmosphere love the music service was good the food was ok not the best maybe it was just a bad night?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Our second food request took 45 minutes to receive because it was: a) order was backed up in the kitchen b) dropped on the floor c) given to another table. You choose the answer because these were the excuses we were given. Then, after this item was received, the waiter wanted to give us the bill and we weren't even done yet. We watched the next table arrive 20 minutes after we did, get their food and leave before we did. The waiter removed the last item from our bill due to our extended wait time. Usually, you get clean plates after each entree, but not here. We had to use the same little plate until we asked for clean plates; usually there is a stack of plates on the table of tapas restaurants. We won't go back.Special Features:
- not sure it will make it.MobiusringDined on 6/1/2014Meh.............1/4 good 3/4 ok. Need to work on their bacon wrapped dates
- 2nd To Naperville, But DivineDapperDanDined on 5/23/2014The food, like that of the Naperville location, is fantastic. It is my understanding that the owners and proprietors of the St. Charles location have had turnover with the on-site, but this did not hurt our experience. We ordered a few dishes we always enjoy from Naperville and they tasted creamier than usual (chicken fritters, goat cheese fritters, patatas bravas) -- tasty just different than we're used to. The portions were remarkably smaller than Naperville, too. The larger space is a change as well, but we went on a quiet night. In spite of this, it was nearly 15 minutes before we saw a server or received bread&water. The gentleman serving us was ultra pleasant (he had tattoos and trendy hair), and very hospitable. We will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fox Valley AdditionFineDinerVIPDined on 5/20/2014Not only is the Tapas great, but the service, especially Alex, is exemplar. Don't let the "strip mall" appearance fool you. Don't miss it.Special Features:
- A little gem in St Charles!goldenpawDined on 5/17/2014This wasn't our first visit to Macarena St Charles. In fact, we love going to their other restaurant in Naperville too. Since they opened this restaurant in St Charles, we have been frequent patrons. The tapas are little plates of heaven! It is so much fun to decide on the dishes to order and then share them with family and friends. Along with a delicious glass of sangria, it makes for wonderful dining experiance! You won't be disappointed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 5/3/20146 of us came to Macarena to celebrate a family birthday at 7pm on a Saturday night. The food was quite good. However the service was terrible, and the ambiance was sterile. The waitstaff were overwhelmed, even though the restaurant was only about 2/3 full. We waited almost 20 minutes to get our bottles of wine, and the cocktails we ordered never arrived. The server was quite apologetic, and it seemed like the issue was in the kitchen and bar. St Charles has many other nice restaurants and we would not return here.