Macao Trading Company
311 Church Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
Macao Trading Company
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.macaonyc.com/
- Phone: 2124318642x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday-Wednesday 5:00pm to 11pm
Thursday-Saturday 5:00pm to Midnight
Late Night Dinner:
Sunday 11:00pm to 1:30am
Monday-Wednesday 11:00pm to 1:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Portuguese, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Julia Jaksic
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Special Events: email@example.com
A word from Macao Trading Company
Macao Trading Co. covers two floors offering both a spacious dining room upstairs and an intimate lounge downstairs. The cuisine represents the blend of Chinese and Portuguese cuisines found in the once independent colony of its namesake. Located on Church St, at the edge of Tribeca, Macao’s décor is a dramatic composition of lighting, relics and industrial iron work. The high ceilings and tucked away location provide a fitting setting for the restaurant’s 1940s portside warehouse feel, recalling the adventure of Macao’s "red lantern district."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
Macao Trading Company - Best Restaurants in TriBeCa - Downtown ›
Macao Trading Company reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (31)hot spot (27)fit for foodies (24)good for groups (23)neighborhood gem (18)romantic (17)late-night find (17)special occasion (14)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Always yummyLamab83Dined on 9/11/2014Never disappoints me! Love the African chicken and the pork ribs. The donuts are a must as well. Drinks are always amazing and the bar scene is super exciting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JennyDined on 8/16/2014The food used to be much better before. Very small selection of food.Special Features:
- Amazing dinner dateIrishpipDined on 8/13/2014Took my boyfriend to Macao for dinner on august 13th. Awesome food and the cocktails are just perfection. Very lovely and welcoming and attentive staff. Great for a romantic meal and for night of fun and amazing cocktailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/1/2014Great Tribeca restaurant. Out waitress was great, attentive, knew the menu, and made good recommendations. Food was great, everyone enjoyed what they had. Chicken was the standout. Ambiance is super cool, good crowd as well.Special Features:
- Menu limited and disappointingJamzVIPDined on 7/27/2014I expected higher quality experience. The server wasn't attentive or even moderately friendly for a place that was empty.. But even more disappointing was the good.. Maybe it's Sunday, but the chicken felt "old" as if it's cooked from chicken frozen in your freezer for a while.. The deep fried whole fish was bland and also had that old feeling.. The bar looks cool and the ambience is quite nice but for a good tasty food experience, this is not the place or Sunday is not their day..
- Great for a date nightTNFoodieVIPDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I went to Macao on a date night in the city. When we arrived in time for our reservation, we had a choice of whether to sit upstairs or downstairs. The upstairs was loud & vibrant, but we opted for a more romantic dinner downstairs. We sat at a small, corner booth. Downstairs is very dark. You need do use the candle on your table or your phone to see the menu and the food. But that added to the ambiance. Our server was fantastic. She helped us pick drinks and answered all of our questions about the menu. We ended up sharing two small plate dishes, and were really pleased. Overall, I would visit again if given the opportunity.Special Features:
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/22/2014Must say a perfect dining experience, service was very genuine and unpretentious but we felt at home! Food was great, we got our drinks fast, good job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food limited menu avg serviceJoeLVIPDined on 7/19/2014The atmosphere is perfect in this small Restaraunt. Right out of old world Macau. And the food is delicious. Two quirks you'll need to deal with- first the menu is very small and not Chinese. Second the service we received was average at best. It's not due to black of staff. Just lack of attention and lack of friendliness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Decor, Good FoodRRANYVIPDined on 7/17/2014Really cool vibe. I'd definitely recommend this as a first date spot. I like the environment, which is why I go. The food is ok, and the menu is sufficient but could have a bit more varietySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!LiliaMikeDined on 7/16/2014We went to Macao to celebrate our anniversary and was great! Great drinks and service! We are going back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisesigmund80Dined on 7/16/2014First time here. Food creative without being precious. Atmosphere very attractive, but sound level grew quite high as the evening wore on. Waitress forgot to order one main course, but the several appetizers were so good and so large, we elected t skip the main (whole fish) and have desserts instead. Overall, we look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good ambiance average foodxx11VIPDined on 7/5/2014The dim lighting the decor and the bar area are all very promising however the food disappoints. So if you are in it more for the ambiance you could try it.Special Features:
- Late night, good foodCuteLilFoodieVIPDined on 6/23/2014Great food, last minute reservation with my boyfriend, seated at a corner table as requested. The server was very nice but obviously overwhelmed because she was working all of the tables alone. We came in at 10:30 and our food was served quickly, but we weren't rushed through the courses even though we were one of the last reservations and we really appreciated that. Just wish it didn't take so long to get our server's attention when we needed something and/or the check. Very well decorated, perfect dim lighting, gorgeous bar, very courteous staff. It was a good experience overall and I'd definitely return again especially with a group of friends. Order the dumplings and bacon fried rice!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing cocktails!Jackm11Dined on 6/14/2014The cocktails were spectacular. A hidden gem in TriBeCa. The service was exceptional. A great place to go for a date or out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time but hotdfetz42Dined on 6/12/2014Took a group of 6 here for a client dinner. Everything was perfect except that it was really hot in the area we were seated. Right before we left they opened another set of doors that leads to the downstairs area that created a draft and brought the temp down about 10 degrees. Had they done this earlier when we asked them multiple times if there was anything they could do about the temperature it would have solved the problem and been a 5 star experience.Special Features:
- Loved it!VincentDined on 6/12/2014We had to stay in NYC for an extra night because our flight out got cancelled. And we're actually glad that it was because we ended up having diner at Macao Trading Company! Every dish was great but if we had to pick a favourite it would be the Whole Fish. We were still raving about it days later. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks and food!STILGHMANDined on 6/11/2014The drinks were delicious and beautifully presented. The food was great—go for the dumplings, chicken and the kale salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Tasty FoodLuckyJoeDined on 6/4/2014Overall experience was great but need to compliment the sauce on the shrimp appetizer, the lamb entree was perfectly cooked and the chicken entre was excellent. Service was great but not intrusive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/30/2014great food & atmosphere. food was delicious. Service was attentive. other than the people who are way too loud in the next table, experience was fantastic.Special Features:
- The following 397 reviews are from the Macao Trading Company reviews archive.
- Fantastic everything.GusnycDined on 5/17/2014Food was fantastic. Every dish we ordered was outstanding. We liked absolutely every single one. Great energy, service was above and beyond (thank you Kathleen!). The place looks great (specially upstairs). Nothing bad to report. This is one of the best restaurants experiences you can have in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ExperienceHughLPDined on 5/17/2014We dined here on a recommendation of a friend and we were pleasantly surprised...the food, service, ambiance were amazing! We started with the dumplings and octopuse salad then the African chicken and lobster dish. Wines were good as well we started with the Esporao rose then the the Esporao riserva red, wonderful food friendly wines from Portugal.Special Features:
- Perfect combinationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014Food and service was amazing and did I mention the complimenting cocktail that topped the meal off? Big complimenta to the chef and bartender. Service was quick and responsive. Ambience of restaurant downstairs was on point. My first time dining and certainly not the last, and most importantly, everything was as authentic and memorable as my trip to Macau last year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place !Maria1980Dined on 5/10/2014I loved this place. The bartender was a genious , I told him What I liked and he perfectly understood me and made a great drink for me. The músic was not so loud and good and the food was exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good time, great food and cocktailscmonkeyDined on 4/25/2014Amazing bartenders with wonderful assortment of unique cocktails. Unique twist on traditional dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the awardsNickDined on 4/19/2014I mistakenly chose this restaurant because of its diner's awards or what not, it turned out to be a big mistake. Staffs were unfriendly but was always with a big smile on their faces if you know what I mean. We had a question and the manager was called not to solve our problem but to reiterate that "this is the policy", really? Our server was indifferent and could not care less about us, but the ordering waitress was kind so I left one more star just for her. Ok the food, the duck breast tasted like frozen food pressure cooked until the textures are completely ruined (sure it was soft but that's about it); the whole fish was inconsistent at best, again soft but without the normal texture of fresh food, I suspect it was pressure cooked.Special Features:
- True flavoursOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Macao offers a true feeling of it's historical heritage from China and Portugal, genuinely tranferred to NY. True flavours in a fun and happy atmosphere, spiced with a friendly service.Special Features:
- Amazing colonial ambiance,SebastienDined on 3/31/2014Amazing colonial ambiance, delicious fusion food, great cocktails... You will remember this for a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner for a groupfoodiegirl2014Dined on 3/29/2014Fantastic menu where you can order small plates and share everything if you just know you need to have a bite of everyone else's food. Great birthday dinner, love coming here as always!Special Features:
- Too loud for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014Too loud to talk, too dark to eat. I don't think I will come back. Food is not exceptional. I hated to be downstairs. I'm claustrophobic.Special Features:
- Consitently ExcellentShemsterVIPDined on 3/27/2014Absolutely love this place. Service is top notch and you get such healthy portions for such quality food.Special Features:
- Great food. Great ambiance.juliesh80Dined on 3/10/2014Loved the food first and foremost. The decorations were nice - had a cool vibe.Special Features:
- Great Stumble UponVixpixVIPDined on 3/9/2014Now and then we just throw a dart at Open Table to find a spot in a favorite neighborhood.. This one was a bull's eye! Colin, our server, was charming and helpful. The restaurant is unpretentious, as is the "fanfare". But the setting is comfortably rustic; lighting perfect. My husband had the whole crispy fish. LOVED it! I had a spicy prawn and noodle dish, which was exactly what I was wanting. Simple wine list. Nicely priced. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Getting it RightNothingBeatsNYCVIPDined on 3/8/2014I had my doubts, Macao, but you delivered. You actually pulled off great service, and in a gorgeous, detailed space with awesome food -- that's what usually suffers. Well done. *applauseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place!!tmmtVIPDined on 2/26/2014It's our after work spot. Food is always great, drinks are unique and the service is superb.Special Features:
- Very good food, great drinksStockholmInNewYorkDined on 2/21/2014Innovative menu with really exciting tastes and very good food. But the cocktails stand out, even the virgin cocktails were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Macao is a great restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/21/2014Macao is a great restaurant. My only complaint is that they often seat me downstairs where the vibe is less vibrant than upstairs and there is no lighting whatsoever. It is very difficult to read the menu and even see the food. I made a reservation (and they do warn you that there is no guarantee you will be seated upstairs) and when we arrived I could see that there were tables for 2 but they still seated us downstairsSpecial Features:
- more like Hong Kong than MacauSarahKDined on 2/15/2014The ambiance was very fun, sophisticated, and this is probably a great place for a first date. I ate here with my husband and we had a very relaxed time. I would recommend for a low key evening with good drinks and interesting tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Macanese Jewel of TribecadanferDined on 2/14/2014I booked a table for two the morning of Valentine's Day for my boyfriend and me. I am so glad I did, the place is truly fantastic, the ambiance is spot on, one truly feels transported back to the colonial peak of Macao. The service is phenomenal, extremely attentive and polite, both the wait staff and hostess were doting. The food was delicious and unique, you certainly cannot find this cuisine anywhere else in the city, and the drink menu was could stand on its own. The entrees were appropriately sized for the price which is not something you get from trendy restaurants. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fabulous dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, fit for sharingGraceDined on 2/12/2014Had a casual dinner with 5 business collegues - and we had a great time. Delicious cocktails, solid wine list. The appetisers were a highlight. We shared 6 of them and ordered 3 mains & sides. Some of the food came out at odd times (like the rice came out 15 minutes after the mains). Service - other than the food timing, was good/friendly. Not over-priced, great vibe. i would definitely go back and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and delicious experienceEmJulesDined on 2/8/2014I have been to Macao twice in that last two months and will definitely be going back! While small, the menu is intriguing and delicious, with a variety of Chinese and Portuguese inspired dishes. The whole crispy fish is a must-have, and I would also highly recommend the char siu ribs and duck breast. Dim lighting and retro Hong Kong decor create a romantic and intimate atmosphere. Make sure to come early or stay after dinner to try one of the 20-odd cocktails at the restaurant bar, which stays crowded and increasingly rowdy late into the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.