M Wood Fired Oven
3514 Erie Ave
Cincinnati, OH 45208Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
M Wood Fired Oven
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.m-woodfiredoven.com/
- Phone: 5133867783x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner 7 Days
Sunday through Thursday 5 to 11, Friday and Saturday 5 to 12
Sunday Brunch 10:30 to 2:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Patrick Bowling
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from M Wood Fired Oven
Wood fired pizzas and wood roasted meats, pastas, creamy vegetable gratins, wines from around the world and a unique craft beer list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
M Wood Fired Oven reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)fit for foodies (35)great for outdoor dining (31)good for groups (19)romantic (15)notable wine list (14)hot spot (9)great for brunch (9)special occasion (9)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- draft beerBradDined on 8/17/2014Be careful of the draft beer prices. They tend to be disproportionately high for the product served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GNO perfect spotdonelanmbDined on 8/13/20144 old neighbors gathering to catch up, eating outside on a beautiful evening and had wonderful service. Food was great and we were appreciative that we were not rushed out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First ImpressionmsangeliDined on 7/25/2014This was my first visit to M and my overall impression is so-so. We tried the Justin pizza based on it's supposed popularity and were not wowed. The crust did not have a whole lot of flavor and is quite chewy for a Neapolitan style wood fired pizza. Nothing too special about the ingredients or their combination that I had not tried before. The Mac and Cheese though... much more originality in its use of ingredients. It had a very smooth and creamy white cheddar sauce, tender shredded braised short rib, with the right amount of bread crumb texture and all well complimented by the finishing touch of white truffle oil. Our service at the bar was fine. And the ambiance felt like it struggled with identity - discoteca or eclectic pizzeria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingly averageClermontFoodiesDined on 7/17/2014My wife and I picked M as a last minute date night - trying something new. The staff were very friendly, and we were seated immediately, outside - which was nice. From there it was very average. We got the truffle mac and cheese, which was very good - but did not have any detectable truffle to it. For a smaller, not very busy restaurant - the food took forever to come out. I am ok with a no rush feeling - but this was way too long. The grilled caesar was wilted, and not very good. The chicken was some of the best I have ever had - but it was too late. We were ready to leave. The server only checked on drinks once, so that is all I had.Special Features:
- Amazing Mac and CheeseAFK1Dined on 7/11/2014It was our first time going to M and we loved it! The food was great, in particular, the macaroni and cheese with short rib appetizer. Yummy!!!! We also loved the music playing. Stevie Wonder ~ how fun! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; substandard serviceFoodFancierDined on 7/5/2014The food was tasty but the service was not just slow, it was bad. For instance, coffee and espresso came without sugar or cream. When we requested them, the waiter brought them but didn't bring spoons. Then when he brought spoons, there were no demitasse spoons for the espresso cup so he brought a teaspoon instead - needless to say, it did not fit in the cup. The coffee was never refilled. We sat outside, which was nice, but the inside décor looked sparse. Overall, I'd say it was not worth the money spent.
- Nothing specialnomsDined on 7/3/20142 appetizers & a pizza for almost $100. We had the mac & cheese but there was hardly any cheese. The other appetizer we had was listed @ $10 but we were charged $14. over all theme is just trying too hard.
- M is for ModdMAndMShowDined on 7/3/2014M offers a great escape from usual places. The rustic look gives off a great vibe and the food is top botch. The service received, was accurate and very welcoming. For this evening I and my significant other were celebrating a special occasion. M is prefect for such an event or even a low-key lunch date. Awesome restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- M is Consistently ExcellentWinkDined on 7/3/2014We have been to M numerous times. Both food and service are consistently excellent. There are many restaurants that boast special pizza ovens. M, however, really knows how to use theirs. The thin crusts are cooked to perfection. Many other items on the menu are interesting and delicious. Their wine list is very good and fairly priced. No wonder we keep going back.Special Features:
- WonderfulGigiDined on 6/28/2014We love this little restaurant. Loved the artichoke appetizer and the Mac n Cheese with the short rib. Yum!Special Features:
- foodyDined on 6/27/2014Best Pizza in Cincinnati. Nice sidewalk tables. staff extremely nice and know;edgeable. Definitely go back.Special Features:
- Different options each visitHutlzeDined on 6/21/2014I've been craving the wood smoked mussels for months. It had been a while, but it sounded perfect for dinner on a gorgeous night dining outside. Alas, mussels aren't on the current menu, but everything we ordered was terrific. Caprese salad was perfect and I loved sweet potato sizzling with other veggies. Hubby was happy with meatballs over pasta. What a nice, relaxing evening watching people and dogs stroll by...Special Features:
- Delicious Pizza optionsFrischDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I each enjoyed our fried artichoke heart appetizer. Here house salad was fresh and delicious and my grilled caesar salad was fantastic. Wasn't sure if grilling the lettuce was a good thing, but it was very nice! We each had our own pizzas. She had the Margherita which was cooked to perfection. I went with the Dagwood with Pepperoni, Sausage and Jalapenos. Crusts on both were light with a nice, mild chew. Each pizza was enough for two people so we had a nice take home portion left over after we stuffed ourselves. Definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Food was OK - was totally disgustedCindyFoodiesDined on 6/20/2014We used to frequent M but since we moved further away it's further & far between. We were excited to get our Fig & Pig pizza. After we ordered we smelled something burning, and our server actually joked, saying i hope that's not your pizza. Well sure enough, it came out burned around the edges and they cut the burnt pieces off where they could. We ate it anyway and didn't say anything. Well.. then, as we were finishing our drinks about to pay, I see the manager walking around picking things up off the floor and cleaning around the countertops, go straight over to the expo table, grab a handful of cheese & garnish a pizza & then a handful of arugula and garnish another pizza :-x w/ the uncleaned hands she JUST used to clean the floor.
- Great foodEatingoutallthetimeDined on 6/8/2014Great little place with delicious food, good drinks and friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wood fired pizza at its bestRoRoGoGoDined on 6/6/2014A fine selection of wood fired pizzas with fresh ingredients prepared perfectly and ample portions. A little pricey but worth discovering another one of Cincinnati's many pizza establishments. We will return for more samplings from this menu.Special Features:
- Undiscovered gem for brunchEthanDined on 6/1/2014My wife and I go here for wood fired pizzas on nights when we don't feel like cooking, and that's always fantastic - the pizzas are inventive and tasty, and there's plenty of non-pizza items if you want. But we finally went here for Sunday brunch last week, and it was amazing! Bottomless mimosas, and then every item on the menu was awesome. Best biscuits and gravy we've had in years, and the stone bowl was perfect (hash browns, scrambled eggs, cheese, onions, peppers, and a meat - I chose goetta and sausage). But there were only six tables occupied when we got there at 12:30pm - no crowds to fight, plenty of attention from the servers, and all with this awesome food.Special Features:
- Good food, slow serviceVisitorDined on 5/30/2014We loved the atmosphere and our server was great, but the kitchen was ridiculously slow. We arrived at 830 and didn't get our two pizzas until after 930.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brit816Dined on 5/30/2014Service was great and we loved the pizza and truffle fries. Got the Nati and the Pesto and both were fantastic.Special Features:
- TREVELERTravelersDined on 5/29/2014ABSOLUTE EXCELLENT SERVICE. FOOD AND KID FRIENDLY. WE HAD TWO LITTLE ONES AND THEY WERE CATERED TO AS THOUGHT THEY WERE ADULTS. DEFINITELY WILL GO BACKSpecial Features:
- Great FoodAJLEVDined on 5/25/2014Love M's Mac & Cheese and the Grilled Ceasar. Pizzas are great too. Last time I was there I tried their Sweet Potato dish. Would have been great except the sweet potato was not done enough. I should have sent it back. Everyone else in my party got pizzas or pasta and very much enjoyed them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the price of the mealCinciFoodLuvrDined on 5/24/2014The service was abismal! We waited 10 minutes before we even placed our drink order. The server was apologetic but seemed completely lost. Maybe new? The pizza was bland and for dessert we had the blueberry cake which was not at all soft or moist. We also had the cookie sandwich. The cookies tasted like they were out of a vending machine and were hard. The manager comped the cookie desserts, but, honestly, the entire meal should have been comped. I've had mall food that was better.
- buttercupDined on 5/23/2014What was overall a lovely evening had only one problem. As four of us sat outside on a beautiful Friday night, we started noticing that we had black spots on our clothes and faces. When we asked the waiter about it, he smiled and suggested it might be soot from the wood fired oven. The answer came way too quickly to be the first time the question had been posed. We'd definitely go back, but not during the outside dining season. Will also warn our friends to dine inside.Special Features:
- Will return!Mom2threeDined on 5/21/2014We came upon this little gem by happy accident. My husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and we were perusing through Open Table when we came upon the entry for M. I read the description to my husband and we decided to give it a try. We were not disappointed. The truffle fries were delicious, and our pizza was fantastic. The selection of wines was rather surprising for a restaurant whose signature is pizza. We will definitely go back again, although I'm not sure we would make it a family visit. The pizza was a little on the spicy side, which was great for us, but our little ones would not be interested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drop off from our first visit.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014We loved this restaurant on our first visit about a year ago. We don't get to eat out much since we have small kids. The pizza was still excellent , but the service seems to have fallen off a bit. The cauliflower gratin also arrived cold. Maybe it was an off night. We will probably give it another shot.
- Great foodCait03Dined on 5/16/2014The wood fire pizza's are to die for. The fig & pig was my favorite. The beer and wine selection was great. Will definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meet your friends heregr8fulDined on 5/16/2014M is very comfortable and the staff makes you feel more than welcome. The cauliflower au gratin with brussel sprouts appetizer is delicious and a great way to start your meal. The sound system is at a perfect level. You hear the music and enjoy the songs, you do not hear the conversation of those around you and it is very easy to hear those at your own table. No shouting required.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizza!cincyfoodieDined on 5/11/2014We celebrated Mother's Day and had our grandchildren with us and the food was great. The wood fired pizza oven made for some tasty pizzas.Special Features:
- Not worth the trip from the burbsStash32Dined on 5/10/2014Saturday night seating was prompt, nice table. Another of those "this is my favorite........" servers that don't write anything down and then forget items. Oh well, he was prompt mostly, and pleasant. Good beer selection and mediocre wine by the glass. Caesar salad and dressing was excellent, as were the truffle frites. Pizza was just OK, the toppings were meager, very thin crust, as advertised. As I stated earlier, Dewey's pizzas are much better and a lot easier parking and closer than Hyde Park for us.Special Features:
- 2nd time was not the charmhtminkDined on 5/9/2014This was our second try at M Wood Fired Oven, and it will be our last. A big disappointment. We were a party of 6 with a reservation. On arrival, the restaurant was nearly empty yet they appeared not to have us slotted for a table and instead wanted to park us at one of the high tops by the wall. We asked to sit at a low table and were accommodated. Service was slow for the entire meal. We ordered drinks promptly and waited 20 minutes for them. The table ordered two orders of fries. One arrived with the drinks; the other not until 20 minutes later after we prompted the waiter that we had only been brought one order. The fries were hot, yet undercooked. The pizzas came another 20 minutes later and were just average.
- Great experiencedonelanmbDined on 5/3/2014I went to M on Saturday with a group of 10. The service was great, the food unique and wonderfully tasty. I will go back again soon.Special Features:
- The following 195 reviews are from the M Wood Fired Oven reviews archive.
- Bad ServicejacobskrDined on 4/26/2014This was our second time to M Wood Fired Oven. Had no issues the first time and food is good but service was very poor this time. We had a reservation but our table was not ready. We had to wait almost 1/2 hour. Finally, there were two tables clear, but it took another 10 minutes before we were seated. Our server was slow and not that friendly. Our food was brought out, but we were not given new plates and I actually had to go up to the bar to ask for plates. Obviously, no one noticed that we weren't eating. Food was good, but I would be leery about going back with how poor the service was.Special Features:
- Neighborhood upscale pizzaJNF1Dined on 4/18/2014Quality has gone down Food us not as good as it was when it openedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd ChanceMingoDined on 4/16/2014I had been to M several months ago and had a very disappointing experience. The owner was upset that we didn't have a reservation and 2 of us were sitting at 4 top table. We were very uncomfortable and it smell like burning pizza the whole time with smoke everyone. Gave it a 2nd chance and it was great. Our server was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will be backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/15/2014This was my first experience at M and I loved it. Everything was wonderful - the m&m cookie dessert- DELICIOUS! Thank you for a wonderful night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza yum drink price dumb!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/10/2014My two beers cost more than my meal! That's just crazy. I did ask the cost of the beer before I ordered a bottle and the waitress did not know. 1 bottle $10!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The atmosphere is fantastic.CintiTigerDined on 4/5/2014The atmosphere is fantastic. We were seated at a table attended by both of the bar staff. You would think the service would have been exceptional, but it was abysmal. After a very long wait for two pizzas, one was great (fig and pig), the other not so much. Our margherita pizza was loaded with so much cheese the crust was soggy. Epic fail on a simple pizza. We will not be returning to M.Special Features:
- Great food at MOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Alex and his staff were wonderful. We were going to be a little late coming from Playhouse In The Park. A phone call fixed it all. The food and staff were great. Tried the cauliflower. Wow! We will return. M & WSpecial Features:
- Great place!BradDined on 4/5/2014Food was excellent, impressive wine list for a smaller, more casual place place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnermreviewDined on 4/4/2014Service was great and the food came out very very quickly. Tables were a little close together but the noise level was enough where you didn't hear other diner's conversations. The menu has a lot of great options. Pizza was great. Good vegetarian options. I would come back again for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.