M Restaurant and Bar
209 10th Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37203Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
M Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://mrestaurantandbar.com/
- Phone: (615) 678-1591
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday -Friday: 11:00am-2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm-10:00pm, Sunday: 10:30pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar
A word from M Restaurant and Bar
Southern-inspired, contemporary cuisine with Nashville roots.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
M Restaurant and Bar - Best Restaurants in Nashville ›
M Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (45)neighborhood gem (28)special occasion (23)good for groups (19)romantic (16)great for lunch (15)hot spot (14)notable wine list (12)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Surprisingly good foodZeusGuyVIPDined on 11/15/2014On walking in, M gives the impression of a neighborhood causal dining and bar scene. Surprisingly, the food is quite good. We went to M since it was one of the few places downtown we could get a reservation on Wednesday. We arrived at 6:15 and it was only crowded at the bar. By the end of our meal, the place was packed (including 2 young wedding shower parties) which made it quite noisy. That said, the service was good and we enjoyed everything we ordered.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service was amazingJoJoVIPDined on 11/10/2014Tables are cramed very close. This makes it impossible to hear your own groups conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but some rough edgesSamandaDined on 11/8/2014The food, for the most part was good, but some of it was a little bland. For example, the fried green tomatoes and potato soup were fantastic but the crab cakes and lobster mac-n-cheese were lacking in flavor. The texture was there and the lobster was cooked perfectly, but the flavor of the cheese was absent and I didn't detect any seasoning to add character. The wait staff was very pleasant but seemed to still be getting the hang of things. For 2 of our courses, we didn't have silverware until we asked for it. Our server didn't directly visit our table based on cues form our plates or glasses; he, instead, walked by the table multiple times until we called him over. It wasn't bad by any means, but it was less than we were expecting.Special Features:
- great dining experience of the Mack and Kate orgJCTRealEstateDined on 11/8/2014Fried green tomatoes that were recommend by our great waiter were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed EmotionsramboVIPDined on 11/7/2014We have been here before and enjoyed ourselves. This 2nd time was a bit of disappointment. They changed the menu and have very limited choices. Although we had reservations, we were sat at a wobbly bar top table. Who sits a couple with reservations at a bar top table, particularly a wobbly one???? Had a soup and a steak. Both were fantastic, but our bar top table was next to the kitchen door was miserable with dropping plates and slamming doors. My companion loved her meal as well, but burned her hand on the open flamed candle on the tiny table. Probably won't be heading back anytime soon. Not sure if it is a bar or restaurant. Would certainly join friends because the food was great, but not another reservation coming anytime soon.
- Great neighborhood gemakashawnthomasVIPDined on 11/4/2014You cannot go wrong eating here. The food is deliciously prepared, has a nice variety, and great open kitchen vibe. Great bar to eat at when dining solo too. Highly recommend as one of my fav lunch spots.Special Features:
- FoodiegirlFoodiegirlDined on 11/3/2014This restaurant is located in the building where I work. I enjoy the atmosphere for a work lunch. That is as far as it goes. The menu is minimal. I would love to see a bigger selection of salad items with the ability to add a protein. There is a daily special, which is what I suggest for my clients. Lunch seems to be their biggest crowd. Service can be a little slow, but friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- M Restaurant A Terrific SurprisedblnDined on 11/1/2014We got a last minute reservation here and were blown away by the friendly staff and wonderful food! We were so thankful we decided to try it after seeing the higher rating on Trip Advisor. We would have even gone back the next night had we not run out of time during our Nashville weekend! The avocado salad was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing place for dinner!LovenashvilleeatsDined on 10/18/2014A perfect dinner with my daughters before the ballet. Our server, Christian, was a well informed delight. The atmosphere was simple and elegant. The fried green tomatoes had a new twist with pimento cheese and bacon marmalade. Yum! Wine, entrees, dessert, yes we had it all, were exceptional in every way. We had a lovely experience and will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive Small MenuGrayrayVIPDined on 10/15/2014While the choices weren't many, each dish was very well done. The wine by the glass was priced well and a good pour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/15/2014Food was very good except the pork was very fat. Two suggestions: the two top by the pole is not a good place to sit; need a few other selections of red wines.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!ChristieVIPDined on 10/11/2014Every dish we ordered was amazing! We sat at the bar where you can watch the chef's prepare the food..really fun. Highly recommend M!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High point of Nashville tripChicagoBobDined on 10/10/2014Just a wonderful experience. Southern inspired, touch of Nashville dining...really great. The food was outstanding, excelelnt wine list...a really fun, modern place even if you're not fun and modern. In addition to table seating, you can sit at the bar or sit at a bar that overlooks the kitchen. It's a really fun palce, great staff. SUPERBSpecial Features:
- M RestaurantDobberDined on 10/8/2014Interesting but somewhat limited menu definitely going for a "modern-show food" flair. Highlight was the fried green tomatoes which had a very unique twist. Also noteable was the house made steak sauce. Overall my dining companions and I gave M a solid B.Special Features:
- A hidden gemiheartnashvilleDined on 10/8/2014Great environment and menu for a pre-downtown event (concert, sports, etc..) or business luch. Highly recommend the crab and avocado salad and the gumbo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedAmyDDined on 10/7/2014Although we had a lovely evening with friends, we felt the food was overpriced for the quality.Special Features:
- Farm Fresh FabulousFergieFoodyDined on 10/2/2014Creative, original dishes using many local farm products. Delicious food and great decor in a relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fan-FREAKING-tabulous!!!!!!!FlavorFreakDined on 9/29/2014My first M visit & I wiiiillll be a return customer. Everything about M was simply Mahvelous! The decor, the servers, the host, the chef, the ambiance, the FOOOOOD! This will be a perfect spot to drop in after work to wait for traffic to die down. Yep, this will be a frequent spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurantEnjoyagoodmealDined on 9/20/2014We were a large group with a number of food restrictions. The restaurant was incredibly accommodating and offered a beautiful palette of food to our group. The food was delicious and we really got to feel like we were tasting Southern/ regional specialties. Special shout out to the manager Tyler Teed who was particularly attentive, fun and enhanced our experience.Special Features:
- eclectic menufoodandwineDined on 9/17/2014We enjoy all the Mack restaurants. Each is unique in their menus and twists on Southern cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAC AND CHEESETasteofTNDined on 9/13/2014Okay, so first and foremost, pricepoint is very reasonable for the meal I ate. Obviously I'm going to talk about the mac & cheese first. Literally the best thing ever. Kayne Prime's mac has nothing on M. It is BLT mac, with bacon (Benton's?), lobster, and heirloom tomato. Normally lobster mac is super rich, and this one certainly is as well, but the heirloom tomato does an amazing job cutting the richness (the salt in the bacon helps as well). It is literally perfect. The shrimp and grits are also incredible. I've discovered that every restaurant that serves shrimp & grits say that they are known for their shrimp & grits; but I've also discovered that the majority of these places do not actually have very good shrimp & grits. However-- M Restaurant & Bar can ABSOLUTELY say this with confidence (I'm torn between The Farm House and M for best S&G in Nashville). Their scallops, on the other hand, were not my favorite. They were very sweet, which may appeal to some people, but not me. I definitely wish I had stuck to the mac & cheese and gotten the shrimp & grits instead. Go and do likewise, folks, go and do likewise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageDatenightersVIPDined on 9/11/2014Soup came out warm, entrees came out cold. Food tasted nice but overall just average at best.
- Always Greatjshjh023VIPDined on 9/6/2014Have been here many times and the service and food are excellent. Could be on of my top spots in Nashville. Food, service....everything just really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- M is a LeaderFineFoodNiteVIPDined on 9/6/2014Excellent food/service and the prices are VERY reasonable. They also transported us to the symphony after dinner. If you want a great dining experience, visit M.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this restaurant!!!sweetteeDined on 8/29/2014We eat hear a lot. Great food, great service, great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs Better ServiceStrayhornVIPDined on 8/18/2014I have only been twice. However, the service was slow the first time and even slower the second. The restaurant was not busy, but the waiter just waited. I had to flag him down. He was pleasant but not helpful. The food was not quite as good the second time. I really want to like this place. It has a great feel and is very comfortable. However, they need to step up the service.Special Features:
- Great Southern FlareECG3Dined on 8/16/2014The drinks were unique and the food was exceptional. Our waiter was friendly and very informative without being too overbearing. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable dinnerRichardDined on 8/15/2014A group of five of us arrived and were promptly seated. Service was very attentive and our server knew the menu and restaurant well. It appeared the servers were dressed in "regular" clothes which made them look like managers or assistant managers rather than "wait staff", and from the professional service we received, I actually thought he was the manager until we asked toward the end of our meal. Unfortunately, we had had appetizers at another bar before arriving at M, so we weren't hungry enough for full plates, so we mostly ordered various salads along with the soup of the day, which was wonderful. Hope to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBlueDined on 8/15/2014Food here was delicious! Came on a Friday afternoon for lunch. Food and drinks were amazing. Service was attentive. Not sure if it was the time of the day that we were there or if it is always that way, but the crowd all seemed like they were there for business lunches and it was very quiet. (And we were a Bachelorette Party.) I would go there again, but not for a party.Special Features:
- The following 246 reviews are from the M Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- MehNashconciergeVIPDined on 7/26/2014I'm actually very disappointed by M. I've heard rave reviews on this restaurant and the best thing I had was the chicken and waffles. Which by the way I would go back for! So we started with that and then I had the steak. Which had no flavor what so ever to it. And my boyfriend had the special of the night with was Hawaiian marlin. Which again. Nothing to write home about. We finished off with the pineapple tart that could have been purchased from Publix. We went on a Saturday and it was surprisingly empty at 730. And for as empty as it was they stuck us in a two top table in the corner. It was a little cloister phobic but I wouldn't ask to move just in case they had plans for the other tables. Which from what I saw, they didn't.Special Features:
- Great dinnergreg5565Dined on 7/25/2014My wife and I went there for the first time Friday night -- we'll be back again soon. We love Macke and Kates and this installment to their restaurant family really keeps their ranking in the Nashville food scene high. We enjoyed the fried green tomatoes to start -- the siracha pimento cheese on the tomatoes was unique. Overall a wonderful meal with a nice vibe and scene.Special Features:
- Excellent Foodbeccantodd123Dined on 7/25/2014We really enjoyed the food. It was rich and tasty, so there was no need for large portions. I'd recommend it, despite it being a little out of our budget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014Brought out-of-towners here for dinner. What a let-down. 2 of us got the catfish bites as our dinner. You really could not tell what you were eating. Completely flavorless. Served atop dry coleslaw. Shrimp and grits is certainly not deserving of an award, as we were told by the server. Certainly adequate, just not outstanding. No bread was ever offered, before or with dinner. Is that a thing of the past? Overall a disappointment.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/15/2014Small portions, but excellently prepared and presented.Special Features:
- Best food in Nashville!ConciergeCarolineVIPDined on 7/2/2014I knew M. was a great choice as soon as I walked in the door. Our waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu and area. I ordered the citrus seared scallops and was IN HEAVEN. The shrimp and grits was delicious, and the steak was perfect. I absolutely loved the refined yet playful atmosphere, and the menu was innovative with a strong Southern flare. I will be returning as soon as possible. 5 stars from me!Special Features:
- Great Food!morgevDined on 7/1/2014My husband and I went for our anniversary and could not have had a better experience! For an appetizer we had the hot chicken and waffles, which were simply delicious. As entrees we ordered the scallops with asparagus tips accompanied by a sweet potato casserole cup cake which was divine. My husband's salmon was cooked to perfection with a side of orzo salad. The coca cola cake and fried pies completed our wonderful experience. Would recommend to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Foodirishchck1Dined on 7/1/2014I love trying new things and the options on the menu were great. The Lobster BLT was outstanding. Would had liked if they had a drink menu with some fun cocktailsSpecial Features:
- Too LoudBillNashvilleVIPDined on 6/27/2014M has some work to do. Service that night was slow and forgetful. Very loud and adding live music made it worse. I have eaten at M several times and will go back but wish they would make some improvements especially as to noise. Should not be necessary to yell across the table to be heard.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014I absolutely loved "M". The place is amazing, great food, great wine and we had Christian as our waiter and he was awesome. This will definately be a place I go again.Special Features:
- Great place, Great food!!aprylshowersDined on 6/21/2014Excellent experience!! Extremely friendly staff! The food was delicious & the atmosphere is amazing. I will definitely frequent M Restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.