Lyons English Grille
233 E Palm Canyon Dr
Palm Springs, CA 92264Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Lyons English Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lyonsenglishgrille.com/
- Phone: 7603271551
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Monday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Lyons English Grille
This atmospheric restaurant has been serving English food with a continental flair for more than 3 decades. The Family operated restaurant has built an enviable reputation for fine food & service. Most of the staff has been on board since the restaurant opened in 1970. Entering this elegant enclave is like stepping back in history. Reminiscent of a 19th century London Inn beckoning diners into another era. Lyons offers some of the most flavorful and finest cuts of meats in the desert. Eastern corn-fed USDA Prime Rib, NY Steaks, Filet Mignon, Braised Short Ribs, Lamb Shanks and a fine selection of fresh seafood. After one visit to this historic family restaurant and you will forever be a part of the family.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lyons English Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
- PeterDined on 6/21/2014Uhhh... Lyon's English Grille is CLOSED for the summer. Why would they still accept reservations?!? Pulled up and the lot eas vacant... no clue
- Fine with itIdyoneVIPDined on 6/1/2014Okee Dokie. Nothing special but nothing bad. "Prime" rib probably not "prime". Reminds me of the 1970's, but I remember the 1970's so that isn't necessarily a good thing!!
- Not open for the summerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2014Open Table needs to up date their list when this places close for the summer.Special Features:
- They were CLOSED!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/23/2014After going to Palm Springs for years, I've always wanted to have Prime Rib at Lyon's English Grille. I was so surprised to see that they had reservations available at 9:00pm on the Friday night of Memorial Day weekend when every other comparable restaurant in the area was booked. We showered and dressed after our long drive into the desert and arrived promptly for our 9:00pm reservation only to find them CLOSED! We ended up eating outside in the 100+ degree weather at a nice but lesser restaurant on the main drag. I called Lyon's the next day and their recording confirmed that Lyon's English Grille was indeed closed for summer. WHAT? This isn't 1950! Who closes for the summer anymore? Palm Springs is a year round destination now!
- Where were you?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2014We had reservations at 4p and no one was to be found as late as 4:20pm on Saturday, May 17th. We rang the kitchen bell and no answer. Very dissapointed that you did not honor our reservations at 4pm to go to the bar. We were to meet 2 more guests and we had to call them and change the venue because no one was at the restaurant at by 4:20pm. We drove from the Upland area and it was hot! Very dissapointed! Dr. Sharon Stein, Maureen Zika, Norma Greer and Robert Stillwell (951-532-6500) cell There was a note on the door as well that said "See you tomorrow, Sunday May 18th" from Zack Lyons which inferred that the restaurant would be closed that evening!Special Features:
- I wish I could review the food.NoirDined on 5/16/2014But when we got to the restaurant there was a sign on the door saying that they were closed for summer. I made reservations on Open Table weeks ago...they couldn't have at least sent me an email? Fortunately Bernies Restaurant, across the street from Lyons, was more than willing to pick up the extra business.
- lyons night outletsdineoutDined on 5/16/2014we made reservations for our anniversary dinner two weeks in advance. so when i called to see if everything was on schedule a couple of hours before our dinner time, i was horribly disappointed when the gentleman that answered the phone told me that they closed down the week before for the summer & wouldn't return until october. i gave him my name (although he didn't ask), he did not apologize or ask for our confirmation number or anything. we had reservations to spend the night at a nearby inn and this just threw our whole "party plan" off. i wonder how many other people were left standing at the door that evening. a phone call certainly would have been appreciated. hard to believe they didn't know earlier that they would be closed.
- Not OpenMaryDined on 5/11/2014We had a confirmed reservation on Sunday May 11 for 6:30 p.m. at Lyons Grille. Went there and doors were locked; parking lot empty. No notification or sign on door indicating they would be closed. Very disappointing!Special Features:
- LyonsusctmbDined on 4/30/2014Great prime rib, a dated feel to the surroundings.... good service and just a very nice evening.Special Features:
- Amazingfood42Dined on 4/26/2014After reading the reviews for this place we knew we needed to try it. We were pleasantly surprised by the decor. We were expecting dingy tavern but instead saw stained glass and romantic lighting. The beef wellington is a must and simply melted in our mouths. Our waiter was energetic and entertaining. The music started a bit late (8pm) but he was excellent, singing Nat King Cole and Sinatra type songs.Special Features:
- Great find!MBeauDined on 4/26/2014Food better than average, simple menu, great atmosphere. I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our exoeriencesusiebDined on 4/13/2014Victor was our waiter and always make it the most wonderful dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMBIENCE AND LIGHTING NEEDgingerDined on 4/5/2014AMBIENCE AND LIGHTING NEED UPDATING, APPEARS NOT TO HAVE HAD A UPGRADE ON DECOR FOR MANY YEARS. PRIME RIB THEIR SPECALITY WAS VERY GOOD, BUT THE FISH MY DATE ORDERED WAS POOR.
- FunBlairSmithDined on 4/2/2014First time here! Our waiter Vic was awesome!!! The lounge singer was great and the bussing staff was very friendly!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go ElsewhereVeryvancouverDined on 3/21/2014We are having trouble understanding the rave reviews this place gets. Must admit we went because of them. The place should give it up. The wait staff is great and there was no wait for a table. It's a huge place and there were four tables of patrons. It was early, so maybe there were more people later. The "free" pate appetizer has no flavor, other than ground up beef liver. The salD was swimming in dressing, the entree was mushy filet of sole, with good vegies. You get the idea. We had finished eating in a half hour from our reservation time. Oh, and the singer was awful, sang off key. All in all, not memorable.
- Excellent food and service.MartyDined on 3/20/2014Excellent food and service. Friendly waiters. Perfect entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant, the food,nancybDined on 3/15/2014The restaurant, the food, and the clientele were all worn out. This is a throw back to the fifties with absolutely no thought to modernizing. We found the facility through Open Table - we were looking for a place in Palm Springs proper that had a 7:30 reservation available - should have known something was wrong with the restaurant since it was one of very few available.
- A great dependable place to eatCraigDined on 3/15/2014Always good prime rib. The Navy bean soup was tasty (should have ordered a bowl instead of a cup). We went at 6, sonthebar was not fully swinging and the noise level at "energetic".Special Features:
- Palm Springs old world gemeythorneDined on 3/8/2014I absolutely love this place, it's like going back in time; the food is always excellent (best Beef Wellington I've ever EVER tasted and I'm from England and have had the "best"), service also great, cocktails delicious. On Saturday nights the big draw is Marvin the magician; at 83 years old he's better than any at the Magic castle--I've seen him countless times sometimes with big parties and no-one can ever figure out how he does it. So sweet and funny too. I don't know the name of the lounge act but he's fantastic and sounds like a perfect mix between Harry Belafonte and Nat King Cole. Hipsters just beginning to find this place (close to the Ace), hope they go on forever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrated a BirthdaylcamDined on 3/1/2014Our service went far beyond what I had expected, Victor is amazing! Everyone in our party of six had something different. Our food was excellent !! The birthday "boy" was very happy with the choice of this restaurant for his celebrations. The music was very enjoyable. We will definitely come back again and ask to have Victor be our waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lyons has been a Palm SpringsMrsHDined on 2/19/2014Lyons has been a Palm Springs staple for many years but this was my first visit and I am glad I went. The food was delicious and the staff was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a loud and bousterousHaluebVIPDined on 2/15/2014We had a loud and bousterous table - the staff at the restaurant could not have been better. The food was excellent and we had a great time. We will be returning - often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but ..lisaVIPDined on 2/15/2014when we request certain tables the person at reception isnt receptive, busy or not;be nice if theyd accomodate with a smile, food good ,good portions but waiters are always always rushing back /forth nervous, appearing very busy, sometimes they come off too busy to help us...its not too calming environeent at times to be able to enjoy the mel; bartender is great tho, even when hes got tons of peope at the bar he is on it, very profesional and gets to you as he can; waiters need to calm down and slow up and stop running by like there's a fire somewhere. free good parking fyi and we like it is located away from the hectic downtown area. be nice if they opened during the summer alittle bit a day ro two here or there but so far theyve not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been going to LyonsTobyDined on 2/14/2014We have been going to Lyons for years. It has never let us down. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014We arrived on time. Our reservation was quickly noted and we were shown to our table right away. The restaurant was packed with pre-show diners. One of us ordered the chicken piccata and the other the sand dabs. The piccata order was carefully prepared to make it gluten free and it was delicious. The sand daBs were equally we'll prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tired and a bit odd!nstajDined on 2/14/2014It is an older place - formerly the haunt of the 50's rat pack wantabees - and it looks it. Not surprising an older clientele but some effort to modernize the approach would make sense, otherwise I expect it will go the way of the Follies!
- Old School Fun and FunkyKevinJDined on 1/31/2014What a treat! Food is fantastic and such a funky old school scene. Sat in the lounge and enjoyed the entertainment...both from the fantastic singer and from the adjoining tables. Special place...will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tresureTheatergoerVIPDined on 1/26/2014We have been going to Palm Springs for over 25 years and have seen Lyons English Grille, but never thought is was nothing more than a fish and chip kind of place. Whow, were we mistaken!!! Our hotel recommended this restaurant for exceptional food and a regular hangout of Frank Sinatra....well we had to go. We discovered Vic our waiter who was exceptional, food that was over the top and reasonably priced, and to our surprise they had this wonderful entertainer that night, that you would have thought Nat King Cole had come back to life.Special Features:
- DisappointmentfoodieVIPDined on 1/18/2014Was very disappointed with the quality of food and service. Menu has fewer items than when we used to frequent this restaurant and service was horrible. We won't be going back.
- QuirkyBelmontianDined on 12/28/2013This restaurant is over 70 years old and it really looks it. Very dated and cluttered decor, but it fits the place. The staff were very friendly and we were lucky enough to have a magician visit our table after dinner. The food was fair. Highlights were the complimentary pate prior to dinner and the popovers. Can't say I would return soon for the food, but I would go back for their lounge complete with a lounge singer. It was a very memorable evening, but not because of outstanding food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually I love this restaurantdonnapsDined on 12/25/2013Usually I love this restaurant but on Christmas Day was not impressed with their Holiday Dinner (turkey). Also they didn't bother to check me in with my guest. I don't think he realized I had a reservation. I will go back...but won't order the turkey dinner!Special Features:
- I was very disappointed withgeneralVIPDined on 12/18/2013I was very disappointed with this restaurant. It was very dark and dreary and hadn't been updated or renovated in a long time. There were few people dinning on the night I came and the restaurant was very empty. The food was good but they charged me extra to substitute a baked potato for the mashed potato that came with the chicken I ordered. I would not recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Another FANTASTIC mealWeLUVPSDined on 12/14/2013We went to celebrate a dear friend's birthday and sat in the lounge area (booth). The beef wellington was melt in your mouth delicious, service with an enthusiastic waiter was nice. The singer in the lounge set the mood and the icing on the cake was meeting Mr. Lyon on our way out! He was so very gracious and is going to be 100 next April. It was a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I was expectingDISaTISFIEDVIPDined on 12/8/2013Food was on a prefix menu for the event. However if I left the banquet room into the regular Restaraunt I could have anything on the menu. But they wouldn't serve it in the Banquet room. Didn't make sense at all. So I ate in the regular part of Restaraunt. Prices for show and dinner were outrageous!
- Classic English Style Steak HouserexvultVIPDined on 11/29/2013Reminds me of the old English themed steak house of my youth! They start you with a plate of toast and excellent chopped liver. Nice stiff drinks and an adequate wine selection. The service was friendly and prompt with a seasoned staff. The steaks arrived as requested with plentiful sides and fully loaded baked potatoes. The steaks are reasonably priced in the age of over priced meat. If you don't want to be over whelmed by the lounge act you can request a seat in the dinning room instead of the piano side. I will definitely be back for the properly cooked well priced fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional turkey dinnerartmensorDined on 11/28/2013I had a delicious traditional turkey dinner with salad, all the trimmings & pumpkin pie. And a split of champagne. All excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pride in family owned businessRickDined on 11/28/2013This 45 year old family owned business pays big dividends. This neighborhood gem offers great service, excellent food, and a relaxing atmosphere for those who prefer an unhurried dining experience away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Palm Springs, yet very close to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaiterLana12VIPDined on 11/28/2013Victor is so much fun & on top of things. We always enjoy him!! Our turkey dinner was very enjoyable. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Palm SpringsJackieDined on 11/20/2013We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at Lyon's English Grille. Excellent service, varied menu and quiet environment. We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blast to a Delicious Past!Gundo123Dined on 11/16/2013I cannot say enough good things about Lyons! Great service, delicious yet great value food and wonderful musical entertainment. Loved the whole experience. Am going again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.