709 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10065Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 2125822012
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Daily: 10:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from L'ybane
A refined restaurant with Mediterranean flavors in the Big Apple. If you are missing Mediterranean cooking and a romantic atmosphere, ever rarer in a great metropolis such as NY, L'Ybane New York is the ideal place where you can find them again. Soft deep tones and candlelight will cunningly embrace you in a classy ambience, and the flavorsome Mediterranean cuisine will take you on a trip away from the usual US prepackaged taste sensations. Welcome to L'Ybane New York ...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
L'ybane reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (11)late-night find (8)notable wine list (8)vibrant bar scene (7)good for groups (6)romantic (5)special occasion (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- A quaint restaurant among the noisePaulaDined on 9/10/2014If you enjoy tapas and a good glass of Merlot for $5, this is place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Pre-TheaterLevy4njDined on 9/9/2014We had several small plate dishes before the 7 pm show and thoroughly enjoyed the experience! Had escargot (first time ever in the shell), foie gras, hummus platter, lamb sausage and more. Food was fresh, flavorful and delicious. The cappuccino was also well done. Their wine list was also very nice. They had a Montelpuchiano red for me so I was happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater district treatDissapointedDined on 8/31/2014Looking for something other than the usual grill or Italian fare this Mediterranean restaurant was a treat. the food was tasty and the service was attentive but not overbearing. Great value for midtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good MediterraneanOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/30/2014L'Ybane serves excellent starters/mezze, notably excellent calamari and falafel. And we thoroughly enjoyed their spicy merguez sausages. We wish we had a restaurant with this menu in our home community.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placeyumkoDined on 8/30/2014We ate here to kick off our friends 30th and it was awesome. The food was amazing and reasonably priced. The atmosphere was great and the service was good. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good location for bite before showannpeterDined on 8/30/2014Not disappointed that we chose this restaurant before attending a show in the Times Square area but not considering it a repeat. The food was good but not at all special. The ambiance was pleasant but not memorable. The service was below par even though we were dining just before the pre-show rush. Would not recommend this.Special Features:
- After show dinnerCandLVIPDined on 8/27/2014Very pleasant experience. Arrived just before 10 PM and had a nice, unrushed meal. Service was friendly and professional. The food was good.
- Yummy mediterranean appetizers3rdtimeabustDined on 8/27/2014The food was outstanding! My friend and I got the 10 appetizers for $20 each. So delicious and so much food- could not finish it all. What a deal for $20 a person! The waiter was wonderful! When I go back to New York, I will be sure to get back to L'ybane!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Middle-Eastern with a French FlairOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/17/2014Three of us thoroughly enjoyed a delightful and varied dinner of several shared small plates: Eggplant L'ybane, Lamb Sausages, Falafel, Hummus, Spicy Beans, and Meatballs with Potatoes. These dishes are accompanied by delicious, warm pita bread cut into wedges for easy dipping and filling. There's a nice wine selection; we were pleased with the Malbec we ordered. Happy Hour drink pricing is offered every day at the bar, where you can order off the full menu. L'ybane's bar and dining area remind us of French bistros. If you have kids in your party, don't be dissuaded by the front-area bar. If the kids like Middle-Eastern food or are willing to try it (hey, it's fun to scope up hummus with pita wedges), the dining area seems kid-friendly.Special Features:
- Food great service notbulldog83Dined on 8/15/2014The food was very good and plentiful but the server seemed to want to be anyplace but there.didn't ask if we wanted anything to drink for a starter and through the evening while not rude was not a great advertisement for the place.host was very friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for our needsJosef3Dined on 8/13/2014WE were headed to a show and this nearby gem was perfect in every way: Menu, taste, cost, service, location, and setting. We could not have done better at twice the price!Special Features:
- Cousins Meet for DinnerJGCTDined on 8/9/2014The six of us ate, drank, and talked until it was evening show time. Beers on tap and respectable wine list. The food and service were good too. Water glasses refilled in a timely fashion and a good time was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy Hour Hour and FoodTastingTDined on 8/1/2014Fantastic Happy Hour for Manhattan and the food is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not our Kind of RestaurantFunkyFuturistVIPDined on 7/27/2014Paper napkins. Escargots served with toothpicks. You have to ask for bread. These are not characteristics of a fine restaurant. If I'm going to pay $75 for a meal for two, I want a minimum level of luxury and professionalism. The food was pretty good. When I could dig them out, I enjoyed the escargots and the grilled asparagus was also good. But the icing on the cake was that my husband was up much of the night with heartburn. Finally, maybe we were there on a particularly crowded night, but you had to really shout to be heard. I even cancelled the reservation at La Carafe, their sister restaurant, because there were at least on-third of the same items in the two menus.Special Features:
- not recommendedBroadwayloverVIPDined on 7/26/2014The noise level prevented any normal conversation. Tables were too close together. Server was unpleasant and uninterested. A real disappointment. Food was OK, but service was poor. Will not be back.
- Good food, great service, interestiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014OUr waiter was wonderful. Really helped explain the menu and talked about the special prices in effect for the menu that night. The food was good - particularly the vegetarian appetizers.
- FoodFan18VIPDined on 7/9/2014Good food at affordable prices. It is very convenient to the theaters for a good pre-theater or after a matinee early dinner. We never felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go here for decent service!dinergirlDined on 7/9/2014We were entertaining clients and had a 2pm matinee. We picked this restaurant because of it's proximity to the theater. They have a nice menu, and we took our time selecting dishes and put our order in around 12:25pm. Our iced coffees and teas came pre-sweetened and we asked for unsweetened drinks instead, which did not sit well with the waitress and it was downhill from there. We sat for about an hour before our new drinks came out! A soup and one salad came out after another 30 minutes. The rest of the food arrived at 1:30pm, giving us little time to eat. Forget about ordering coffee or dessert. We tried our best to convey our needs to the waitress, although we can't figure out why things took so long to come out.
- Nice experiencesheeshDined on 7/2/2014Recommended by a friend and found L'ybane to be a moderately priced restaurant that is good for lunch or dinner. It was extremely convenient to the Kinky Boots show, so our group of six was thrilled to be so close, especially as it was a rainy night. Would definitely consider returning when we are in the theater district again, as all of us were very pleased with the food, atmosphere and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be backDianeJDined on 7/2/2014I brought a friend for the first time and the restaurant has yet another fan. We'll both be back.Special Features:
- Second timemimaDined on 7/2/2014Took friends who are skittish about new foods and they liked it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and varied menuRededDined on 7/1/2014We were quite pleased with our visit to this restaurant. The staff was pleasant and accomodating. The menu was varied though limited. The food was prepared well and tasted great. Service was a little slow but worth waiting for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RavenDined on 6/30/2014The food was a little disappointing; bland in general. Meatballs were dry and seemed to be of poor quality.Special Features:
- Refreshing taste from seaHanaVIPDined on 6/28/2014The steamed mussels were really fresh and tasty. You can get sweet juice and tender meat from those shells and the garlic and wine just add to the inviting taste. Good portion for an appetizer. The main dish a combo of beef and chicken skewer was delicious. A good place to try something Mediterranean in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Lebanese foodChowHoundVIPDined on 6/26/2014Excellent selection of Lebanese dishes, large, and tapas.Special Features:
- Excellent service!Partyof8Dined on 6/14/2014We had a early dinner reservation for a party of 8. When we presented on time, we informed the staff that we were expecting 3 more guests. The staff was very accommodating. They asked a couple that was already seated to move to another table and their table was added to our party. Food was very good. Service excellent! Great B'way location. This is my second time at L'ybane and will definitely return again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great theater placeDiva120Dined on 6/1/2014My family have been here twice before a show. The staff remembered us and welcomed us back the second time! Food does not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 253 reviews are from the L'ybane reviews archive.
- enjoyablenightoutDined on 5/11/2014nice service & convenient to theaters 50 characters required nice service & convenient to theaters 50 characters requiredSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingcarolDined on 5/10/2014The atmosphere was like a tavern and the food was ordinary. I expected someplace charming with interesting food and got neither. Okay if you need a quick dinner but not for a leisurely meal.Special Features:
- Pre-theater wine barJeffVIPDined on 5/8/2014We chose L'Ybane because it was near our theater and we were very happy we did. We arrived early and sat at the bar for some drinks and their veggie platter with hummus, babaghanoush and tabbouleh along with nice warm pita wedges. We then ordered the calamari appetizer to share with a garlic infused marinara sauce. Very tasty. I had the moules and frites and my wife had the chicken paillard all served at a leisurely pace. We had coffee and I gave our server our restaurant.com certificate which she gladly accepted. We will return to this little piece of Southern France next time, with or without a certificate. Bon appetit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waste of time & moneyYayaVIPDined on 5/7/2014I chose L'Ybane because it was literally around the coner from the theater where we were seeing a play at 8 pm. One would think a 6:15 reservation would have given us enough time but because of the very poor service we just made it to the theater in time. We ordered several small plates to share. The meatballs were over cooked, the hummus tasteless and the kibbe was dry. The lamb lollipop and goat cheese salad were OK. To comment on the personality of our server would imply that she had one, she did not. Everyone around us was commenting on the poor service and how slow the kitchen was. It was cramped, loud and one of the worst dining experiences I have ever had in a city full of great places to eat.
- TheSleepyHollowGuysDined on 5/7/2014Food quality was fine--service was only fair. Had to ask for water refills and waiter was businesslike, not overly friendly. Main problem was noise level-- so loud (both recorded music and general noise) it was very difficult to converse. We were not rushed and were seated at a roomy table.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/6/2014Everything was mediocre. Would not recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- 2nd timeNJSPINDined on 5/3/2014My second visit in a month as even better than the last. Great food, fun staff just an enjoyable time.Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodDianeJDined on 5/3/2014I've eaten at L'ybane several times. Each time, the food has been expertly prepared. The seasonings are wonderful and everything tastes great. And the service is every bit as good as the food.Special Features:
- Reasonable After Theater MealLovetoeatoutVIPDined on 4/27/2014My friends and I were looking for a good meal after a show -- fresh, healthy, seafood options and reasonably priced. This fit the bill on all accounts! I had the mixed platter with chicken and beef kabobs, mousakka, hummus, Tzadziki sauce, rice pilaf...yum! And a great value at under $20. My friends enjoyed their salmon with mushrooms and mixed greens. Another friend had the mixed platter with shrimp. I would go back.Special Features:
- Great place for groups!DeeelishDined on 4/26/2014I can see why reservations are important here - it makes everything run much more smoothly. Makes for a better experience for customers anyway. Our waiter was friendly, attentive and efficient. Made great recommendations on what to order. The owner or manager was also attentive and friendly. My small group arrived before the dinner rush and left right before it became crowded. I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediterranean tapas near the theateMyra1myraDined on 4/9/2014Well located restaurant with a Mediterranean influence. Food was acceptable, and a good veariety of choices.good place for a drink and light meal pre or post theaterI would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot Post ShowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014L'ybane had good Mediterranean appetizers that satisfied our group of six. We ordered the Mediterranean Ap Plate along with a delicious cucumber salad and other small aps. Do you feel like you are brought back to the Middle East? Not really-its definitely a place that caters to tourists but the food is good. The waiters were friendly and helpful. It was a little bit annoying how they tried to keep taking out plates even though we had not finished. However, if we have family in from out of town again, and the theater is located near this place, I would return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable! ExcellentTVernonDined on 4/4/2014Very enjoyable! Excellent service and delicious food.Special Features: