Lupo Restaurant & Vinoteca
869 Hamilton Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 2R7Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Lupo Restaurant & Vinoteca
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.luporestaurant.ca/
- Phone: (604) 569-2535
- Hours of Operation:
Reservations Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Julio Gonzalez Perini
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: seated private room for up to 30
- Private Party Contact: Michael Mameli 604 569 2535
A word from Lupo Restaurant & Vinoteca
Modern Italian cooking emphasizing quality and value. Lupo Restaurant located at the entrance to Vancouver’s famous Yaletown area. Theatres, Concert and sporting venues all within a short walk.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Lupo Restaurant & Vinoteca - Best Restaurants in Yaletown ›
Lupo Restaurant & Vinoteca reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (130)special occasion (127)neighborhood gem (101)romantic (100)notable wine list (72)good for groups (29)hot spot (12)late-night find (11)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- JokersDined on 11/19/2014I have been to this restaurant before when it was Villa de Lupo. Surprising they have done some really nice renovations and the place looks cool. Our waiter was very attentive and our Buratta was really creamy and delicious yumm.... My top pick for the night is the fettucini with truffles it was so good I inhaled it. We also had the sable fish which was fresh tasting and thick and it was nicely marinated. The waiter was attentive and knows the menu well and his recommendations were perfect. Definitely a nice place for a special occasion, as it is not so noisy and you can have a decent conversations. Ambiance is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experienceJMCrevi3wsDined on 11/14/2014As I walked into what literally once was a home, the simple yet tasteful decor was visually pleasing. I was promptly attended to and my reserved table was ready right away with no wait time required. I was taken to our table upstairs (special request downstairs if a taller flight of stairs is a challenge for you) and seated a nice table looking out on to Hamilton st. Our server came over right away, water was served, new the meal specials inside out, made suggestions after asking a few questions and it got better from there. Our antipasti was quite delicious (my friend had the special and I had the meatballs and polenta), both the primi secondi's came out and were exactly as described on the menu. Prices were definitely more on the $$$ side as opposed to the $$ as posted on Open Table, but it was worth it. I believe our servers name was Nathan and he alone made the experience quite great. I will definitely be going back for more soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter was great, food delicious, lovely settingJoyousDined on 11/13/2014This was my first time. staff was welcoming and could not do enough for us. Food was delicious, Dinner was delivered in a timely manner as they knew we were going to QE Theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a real gemfrequenttraveler330VIPDined on 11/12/2014We stumbled upon this restaurant in passing, and I am really glad we returned to dine here. It just happened to be very close to our hotel. It is a small place that is upstairs so not terribly eyecatching from the street, but oh, what a meal! I loved the ambience...small adjoining rooms nicely decorated, like something from a magazine, and not a trendy, boisterous open space. The service was outstanding, and the food was the best I had in three days in the city. Very authentic Italian fare...we started with a delicious caprese salad, then followed that with the veal chop for my husband and veal ravioli for me...perfectly done. I am glad I saved room for the dessert as the tiramisu was one of the best I have ever had...very delicate with perfectly balanced flavors. I also loved that the service was attentive, but relaxed. I know most people want dishes cleared immediately, but I was raised to leave the plates until all diners are finished so no one feels rushed, and that is exactly what they did, and then promptly removed them once we were both finished. Great experience, and would definitely return! Don't miss it if you love great Italian food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentantiqueDined on 11/9/2014Excellent food, friendly and attentive staff, comfortable seats and atmosphere; wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JBAOtisbuckarooDined on 11/8/2014Fairly early Saturday night start, two couples--experienced diners--out for good Italian and a good experience. They got it partly right. Server was clearly over her head and just wasn't up to the techniques or quality standards of fine dining and who put a big damper on the whole experience. The food was very good; we shared two starters, two pastas and the ladies shared an entrée while the guys had their own. Felt like you were asking for a big favor to have the kitchen share the plates--they did once and did not with three other chances. Had they, they would have created a much nicer experience for their "guests," and it is done without asking down the street and around the corner at their primary competition--always without asking.Special Features:
- Amazing!mikeDined on 11/8/2014Food was fantastic, and so was the service. It's a little on the pricey side, which is just fine for special occasions. I took my wife there for her birthday and she loved every bit of it.Special Features:
- RoostVIPDined on 11/6/2014Fabulous wine list.outstanding staff. Loved the rack of lamb with eggplant parm and octopus carpaccio.Special Features:
- Lupo's- simply superbLostinShanghaiDined on 11/5/2014The service was welcoming and impeccable. Food was superb, a ménage of complex flavours. Recommend the sablefish to be sure. A bit noisy when full, but it's the chatter of people enjoying themselves. The chef and the staff outdo themselves. Five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Gluten Freindly!!localpatronDined on 11/1/2014My wife is a Celiac. When I called to make the reservation I was told there were several gulten free options available for her. My waiter was unaware of any. It took a manager and several failed attempts to find a disappointing combination of acceptable food options. Everyone else did enjoy their meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experience!wineanddinemeDined on 11/1/2014We had an amazing night at Lupo, will visit again for sure, and will highly recommend to family and friends. This was one of those fantastic dining experiences where all the boxes were checked: amazing ambiance, food and wine, and our server was one of the best we have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NadiaDined on 11/1/2014I have been wanting to go to this restaurant for years, finally...what gem. Best Ossu Buco was the best I have had. I will be eating there again soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cyjhVIPDined on 10/31/2014Absolutely charming, impeccable service. Knowledgeable and warm team of hosts/hostesses and manager. EXTRAORDINARY food. Alba shaved truffle on perfect al dente tagliatelle! So fragrant and heavenly! Octopus carpaccio was tender and refreshing. Veal tenderloin carpaccio with tuna emulsification for dressing - very creative, labor intensive and therefore challenging to try at home even if you're a gourmet chef! Florentian steak was grilled to perfection. Dover sole was delicious. A selection of Italian wines ranging from quality regular occasion prices to those fit for connoisseurs with discerning taste. Honestly couldn't imagine a better experience.Special Features:
- great food and romantic atomsphereStevenDined on 10/26/2014Very good food and lots of selections. Wine list is impressive and affordable. Not much of a view but atomsphere is both romantic and hommy. Good for family dining out or special occasion. Waitress who helped us was very friendly and knowledgable about the food/wine selection. Though the waiter who helped us while the waitress was busy was less knowledgable and gave me the feeling that he didn't care.Special Features:
- Noisy if a big group is celebratingAliceHDined on 10/26/2014Everything is wonderful about this restaurant with one exception. We were seated next to a large party who were celebrating a birthday and the noise level overpowered our conversation. Next time I will ask if there are reservations for a large group and ask to sit somewhere else.Special Features:
- Not as a romantic mealMikeyoxDined on 10/25/2014The food was good but not great. The service was great. The noise level was quite loud and it is not a place for a romantic dinner. The prices were expensive for the food but expected due to the location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A really superb Italian restaurantBearwifeVIPDined on 10/25/2014This restaurant delivers a four star experience for a very moderate price. We were wowed by the beautiful decor, the attentive, knowledgeable service, and above all by the really incredible food. My wild mushroom taglione was one of the best things I've ever eaten. Appetizers and entrees were particularly wonderful, as was my memorable Rosso de Montalcino wine.Special Features:
- Lovely MealmmmmmDined on 10/24/2014Each of our courses was wonderful, most notably the Lobster RisottoSpecial Features:
- Fantastic - the very best!!CynthiaDined on 10/23/2014We had such a great time- wonderful service, great food- beautiful location!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurpriseRowlyDined on 10/23/2014I've walked by this unassuming restaurant frequently but only recently went for dinner. The service was very welcoming, friendly and efficient without being intrusive. Each plate was beautifully presented with creative flavour combinations - it can be touch to make Italian fare surprising and new. But the imported truffle pasta, the burrata/tomato/beet salad and fish options were nothing short of spectacular. The atmosphere in a rebuilt heritage low Victorian early 1900s house was rare and delightful. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Price unfit for quality of servicefoodievanDined on 10/21/2014Food is more homely than most other restaurant of similar price range, which i don't mind, as long as the ingredients are high quality and dishes are hard to find at restaurants and you can only have it at home. Service was extremely slow for all dishes, about 45 minutes per course. And we sat through 4 course meals...... Typically, a good restaurant offers either 1. more food/drinks on the house, or 2. take off the dish that's taking a long, long, long time. You don't have to go to an expensive restaurant to get this kind of service, I waited 40 minutes for an entree at Olive Garden and the manager personally came by to apologize and took care of the bill. Also, the window seats were very cold. They def. need to reseal the windows.Special Features:
- MagnificoOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/20141st time at Lupo...it was soooooo goooood! Really really great food! It's a nice setting in an old character home gives it a nice ambience. The food was impressive. Only thing I have to say is that it was a bit slow between courses but when the food arrived it was worth the wait. Fantastic! Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- AveragelovetoeatoutDined on 10/16/2014Food was not as exceptional as I was expecting, and service was average. Very noisy.
- UnderwhelmedBeenThereDined on 10/16/2014Having read recent reviews, we were looking forward to a great meal, great service and a great setting. Only the food met our expectations. Servers need more training on wine selections.
- Pleasant experienceStkluvrDined on 10/16/2014Not a big fan of Italian food but there are only two Italian restaurants I love in this city...Lupo and Cioppino's. This time it was another great experience at Lupo. Great food. Had the buffalo mozzarella salad as appetizer and Lamb osobucco as main dish. Good and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RTseVIPDined on 10/12/2014We brought my wife's parents here for their belated anniversary dinner. They were very impressed by the food and the service. We all had a fabulous night. Thank you Lupo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wineandineVIPDined on 10/12/2014Really wonderful meal, but the only reason why I'd give it four starts and not five is because the pasta bolognese was not on fresh penne, and very overpriced. The sausage was absolutely delicious and some of the best I ever had. Amazing service!
- Good Food - Be more transparentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/11/2014Food was good, ambience fine but I was disappointed with the service. We had our 3 year old with us - he only wants Pasta and Butter. So when his food arrived it was an item from the menu - no effort to meet our childs request and full price charge for the course. Be transparent - not likely we'll go back - Vancouver has far too much to offer that's better.Special Features:
- JoskiDined on 10/4/2014We really enjoyed our first dinner at Lupo. The food and service were very good but the noise level was high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014Good choice in each course, and each item was well prepared and presented. Wine list quite tilted towards pricey end, so not a great choice under $70Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre event diningFoodieVIPDined on 10/2/2014Loop is a good restaurant to go to for a meal before an event at the QE. Great Italian food in a charming house & very friendly service! Their house made pastas are worth trying.Special Features:
- Yummy!!LindaBVIPDined on 9/29/2014My husband and I, after a cruise dined in Vancouver on Sunday and Monday. Although Sunday's dining was great, we wish we knew about Lupo beforehand. The restaurant was like dining at my Italian grandmothers!!! Old classics done with an inventive twist. The antipasto, meatballs fonduta, beet salad, hand made pastas and chicken cacciatore were so good, I could have kissed the chef!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find for 2 CaliforniansfromSFDined on 9/29/2014After retiring and moving from San Francisco where I have lived for 35 years, my wife and I were starved for fine food. We stumbled upon Lupo which is just across the street from where we are staying in Vancouver. The food was so good that it can only be experienced and the service was excellent. I only wish we could be in Vancouver more often so that we could eat at Lupo more often. We plan to eat there one more time before we go home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going downhilljenjenVIPDined on 9/27/2014This was our 3rd time at Lupo and we were very disappointed. The food was good, but not as stellar as it's been in the past. The service was terrible. It took 15 minutes for the waiter to take our drink order, and that level of service continued for the rest of the meal.Special Features:
- Pretheatre DiningfridaydinerDined on 9/27/2014The food and service was fantastic. The timing was perfect so that we had ample time to walk to the QET.Special Features:
- Excellent if you can handle stairsfinetushDined on 9/25/2014Great food, good wine and attentive service. Two problems: you must climb 12 steps to get into the restaurant and another flight to the rest rooms. Impossible for mobility challenged people; second, staff is frenetic. I have rarely seen such a level of activity in a restaurant. Does not lend itself to calm dining. Aside from those issues it is a great place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014This is our favorite restaurant in Vancouver. Its in a converted old house, which not everyone likes, with interesting art on the walls. The service is friendly and prompt but not rushed. The food is drop dead delicious. I recommend the burrata, the meatballs, any of the pastas or the lamb shank.Special Features:
- Perfect!ccshawvancouverDined on 9/20/2014Delicious food, friendly service, lovely romantic atmosphere. We will definitely be back! Looked for a nice place to celebrate our anniversary, and it didn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A cozy evening overallKabitaDined on 9/20/2014I'd requested a cozy corner table for my husband and I to celebrate his birthday. We were received with a warm welcome & seated at the side of the room and were very happily surprised when the hostess offered to move us to an actual 'corner table' after it opened up soon after our arrival; excellent service. The food was delicious & the server friendly, approachable & knowledgeable about the menu/wine list. Downside: we were offered a bread basket (very common in Vancouver restaurants) & were surprised to find a charge for it on our bill (especially since we hardly touched it). For a high end & high-priced restaurant, this seemed a bit petty - we mentioned this to our server. There's also poor sound absorption and it can get really loud.Special Features:
- Good for a night outmamabear77Dined on 9/20/2014Wasn't sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. Food was good, fresh. It really is like eating in an old character home. Quaint. If you want a happening, loud place this is not the place to be. Good for a quiet meal out.Special Features: